Forums/Armchair-GM

7 of 32

Created by: swinny
Team: 2023-24 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 13, 2023
Published: May 11, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Well, if your going to suck, suck well - and that is where the Hawks really are.

Chicago has a unique advantage of being to weaponize cap space, and quite a bit if it to acquire additional picks - which is the overall plan. The key is acquiring contracts with only 1 or 2 years left, as this leaves adequate space to resign RFAs down that should be part of the future (Reichel, Raddysh, Mitchell etc), and allow further flexibility to insert players from the 2023 and 2024 drafts into the lineup.

Organizationally, the project list isn't great but not horrible either - Kotchinksi, Nazar, Hayes and Ludwinksi all have great potential, but remain a couple years out. Goes without saying that the next couple drafts, if done right, certainly will fill that out

Going into the TDL, Dickinson, Johnson, Zaitsev are prime to be moved.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,350,000
2$950,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,400,000
1$1,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Bedard, Connor
3$950,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Petersen, Cal
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
If LA has designs of extending Korpisalo, Blake is going to have to move Peterson.

Very much a contract dump for LA, so they move a 2nd.... and yes I debated a 1st, but since the Hawks are having to make basement, I call it a little quid pro quo.
LAK
    Hawks weaponzie cap space in the deal.

Again debated whether to get a 1st, which wouldn't be asking too much. However, the Hawks have a long way to go to get to basement, so I think a 2nd works in this case.
    CHI
    1. Bailey, Josh
    2. 2023 2nd round pick (NYI)
    Additional Details:
    Islanders move on from Bailey to make.a UFA splash because that how Lou rolls
    NYI
    1. 2023 2nd round pick (CHI)
    Additional Details:
    Bailey is picked up to be bought out. Weapnizing cap space.
    CHI
    1. Hoffman, Mike
    Additional Details:
    I get this bucks my trend, but Hoffman, for all his faints, can still produce - and Montréal kind of wants out of the contract. I see him in a top six roll where he hopefully regains his form (something like a 50 point pace) to be flipped at the deadline. Thinking that that 4th can be turned into a 2nd.
    MTL
    1. 2023 4th round pick (CHI)
    Additional Details:
    I don't think it is a secret the Habs want out of this contract. But as I said, Hoffman can still produce, and really, it's not a body Hughes HAS to move for cap reasons, wo moving for future considerations seems unlikely, and that logic suggests some sort of asset will be moved to the Habs.

In this scenario, with the Hawks collection of picks moving a 4th isn't a totally horrible thing.
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$62,046,791$0$1,355,000$21,453,209
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Bedard, Connor
    $950,000$950,000
    Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
    $758,333$758,333
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$505,000$505K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $2,650,000$2,650,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW
    UFA
    $950,000$950,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $758,333$758,333
    LW
    RFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $3,800,000$3,800,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,350,000$1,350,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 11, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
    Darkblade
    Poor Bedard, having Hoffman on his line and having to carry him lmao
    fr tho Hoffman is prob better bought out than paying a 4th to get rid of him, so is Armia
    May 11, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
    Although Chicago wants to be near the bottom of the league again they'll probably want to at least get a few more quality forwards just so that Bedard has someone to play with. Other than that looks good
    May 11, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
    Quoting: AlakHul
    Poor Bedard, having Hoffman on his line and having to carry him lmao
    fr tho Hoffman is prob better bought out than paying a 4th to get rid of him, so is Armia

Possibly.

I think Hiffman still has some value. If playing with Bedard can get hom back to a decent pace, then it could be worth the investment.

And still, if Montréal wants to rid themselves of the contract badly enough, maybe future considerations gets it done.

Just looking at a plan to pay as little as possible.to get to the cap floor.
    Just_A_Guess liked this.
    May 11, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
    Quoting: nobleknight77
    Although Chicago wants to be near the bottom of the league again they'll probably want to at least get a few more quality forwards just so that Bedard has someone to play with. Other than that looks good

I agree.... but I think right now that Reichel and Raddysh are those guys. Just not sure teams are willing give up prime younguns to the Hawks, and moreover, (at least with this ACGM) they have 2 1sts and 6 2nds to start filling out the organization.

A situation where it is what it is right now.
    May 11, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
    I was with you after reading your description but the UFA signings and trades are just BAD. Hawks won't have any interest in Oesterle or Ritchie. They'll target 2 or 3 skilled UFA forwards like Domi, Bunting, Killorn, Barbashev, Tatar, etc to play w/ Bedard.

One 2nd isn't enough for Hawks to take Peterson. Takes another 2nd or 3rd or a prospect the Hawks actually want. You have the Hawks trading DOWN in the 2nd round for Bailey. Take out the Chicago 2nd going back to the Isles in that deal. That's how a cap dump works. No chance Hawks pay a 4th to acquire Hoffman. Hawks don't want him at all. Putting him on a line w/ Bedard is also pretty funny. He hasn't been that type of player in 3 or 4 years.
    May 11, 2023 at 3:38 p.m.
    I think it's more Habs fans that want to move Hoffman more than management.
    Just_A_Guess liked this.
    May 11, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
    Quoting: Hawksguy81
    I was with you after reading your description but the UFA signings and trades are just BAD. Hawks won't have any interest in Oesterle or Ritchie. They'll target 2 or 3 skilled UFA forwards like Domi, Bunting, Killorn, Barbashev, Tatar, etc to play w/ Bedard.

One 2nd isn't enough for Hawks to take Peterson. Takes another 2nd or 3rd or a prospect the Hawks actually want. You have the Hawks trading DOWN in the 2nd round for Bailey. Take out the Chicago 2nd going back to the Isles in that deal. That's how a cap dump works. No chance Hawks pay a 4th to acquire Hoffman. Hawks don't want him at all. Putting him on a line w/ Bedard is also pretty funny. He hasn't been that type of player in 3 or 4 years.

1. Crap! I never intended to move the Hawks 2nd in the Bailey deal. Didn't catch that. The deal is Bailey and the Isles 2nd for futures.... or it was supposed to be lol.

2. I get the want to get skilled forwards for Bedard, but I think this artificially males the Hawks better. I am thinking more long term. Hawks won't be relevant for another 3 years, and signing UFA ld makes little sense at this juncture. See what Reichel is. See if Raddysh is that player. See hiw Nazar looks in year 2 of NCAA play. This is a time to truly gauge the young players, and having them play behind UFAs I beleive is counter productive at this time.

3. Peterson..... you maybe right. I debated going for a 2024 1st here (as I said). I see that deal having many parts. Kings will want to move him. Hawks need to make basement. Hawks will still need a goalie for 2024-25. Peterson wasn't horrible in the AHL last year - or at least Mzarek like. Snagging another pick or prospect would be ideal. But given the moving parts, chose to aim a little lower as to not make it look like something that would never get done.

4. Oesterle and Ritchie are just cheap fillers. Surr, the Hawks have the cap space to do much bigger things. But, Davidson burned this to the ground. Again, investing at this stage I am not sure does the Hawks any service long term right now. 2 years from now, yes..... go for it. I just don't see now as the time.
    May 11, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.
    Quoting: Burnout
    I think it's more Habs fans that want to move Hoffman more than management.

Maybe right.

Habs have a lot of young forwards that can certainly play. All depends on Hughes' thought processes.

The word is, Hoffman is a contract they would like.to move. I just don't think they do that for free.
    Just_A_Guess liked this.
    May 11, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
    Quoting: swinny
    1. Crap! I never intended to move the Hawks 2nd in the Bailey deal. Didn't catch that. The deal is Bailey and the Isles 2nd for futures.... or it was supposed to be lol.

2. I get the want to get skilled forwards for Bedard, but I think this artificially males the Hawks better. I am thinking more long term. Hawks won't be relevant for another 3 years, and signing UFA ld makes little sense at this juncture. See what Reichel is. See if Raddysh is that player. See hiw Nazar looks in year 2 of NCAA play. This is a time to truly gauge the young players, and having them play behind UFAs I beleive is counter productive at this time.

3. Peterson..... you maybe right. I debated going for a 2024 1st here (as I said). I see that deal having many parts. Kings will want to move him. Hawks need to make basement. Hawks will still need a goalie for 2024-25. Peterson wasn't horrible in the AHL last year - or at least Mzarek like. Snagging another pick or prospect would be ideal. But given the moving parts, chose to aim a little lower as to not make it look like something that would never get done.

4. Oesterle and Ritchie are just cheap fillers. Surr, the Hawks have the cap space to do much bigger things. But, Davidson burned this to the ground. Again, investing at this stage I am not sure does the Hawks any service long term right now. 2 years from now, yes..... go for it. I just don't see now as the time.

1. Yep. Bailey and a 2nd for F/C is the deal

2. One good line w/ Bedard might make Hawks marginally better, but that's ok. They're still a bottom 5 team in the league. Rest of the forward group, the D and the goalies about the same as last year. The UFA's the Hawks sign to play w/ Bedard get 2 or 3 year deals at way over market salary. Just a different way to weaponize cap space. Hawks pay a guy like Bunting the same total dollars he'd get for a 5 year deal in a 3 year deal. So the UFA's are gone when the young guys are NHL ready in 3 years as you pointed out.

3. Kings won't spend a 1st to move Peterson. And I doubt Hawks take on 2 years at $5m per year for only one 2nd. So find the middle ground. Hawks have Drew Commesso, former 2nd round pick, in the AHL for 24/25 if neccessary. And you didn't account for Arvid Soderblom, who signed a 2 year extension yesterday, and is pretty much NHL ready as well.
    May 11, 2023 at 4:16 p.m.
    Quoting: swinny

Check this ACGM out. This shows pretty much exactly what I'm trying to explain:
    https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4175086
    May 11, 2023 at 5:03 p.m.
    MTL accepts, imo I don't think we can expect more unless we 50% him and get a 3rd possibly. I'll gladly take a 4th though.
    jonh514 liked this.
    May 11, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.
    MTL wouldn't mind shipping Hoffman somewhere else, but they're not paying to do so. Habs would just buy him out, for a $1.16m cap penalty for two years...we have plenty of capspace.
    May 11, 2023 at 5:31 p.m.
    Quoting: ohmyjlord
    MTL wouldn't mind shipping Hoffman somewhere else, but they're not paying to do so. Habs would just buy him out, for a $1.16m cap penalty for two years...we have plenty of capspace.

We're not paying to move him in this scenario.
    May 11, 2023 at 5:39 p.m.
    Quoting: Just_A_Guess
    We're not paying to move him in this scenario.

Oh damn, you're right. God, I'm too tired to be on these forums ! smile
    Just_A_Guess liked this.
    May 11, 2023 at 7:52 p.m.
    Quoting: Hawksguy81
    Check this ACGM out. This shows pretty much exactly what I'm trying to explain:
    https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4175086

Well, seems similar to what I did.

Kupari would be a good add..... no dispute.

Not sure Pittsburgh moves picks with Granlund.... he isn't that bad, nor is his contract.

And Domi going back could happen.

I guess the real question here is how competitive do you want the Hawks being?

I see this team still bottoming out. Adding Granlend and Domi there is an air of competition there.

I would reserve those moves for at least a year when Johnson, Dickinson etc come off the books.

My opinion.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll