SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Now What?

May 30, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
Amirov Forever

🫡

Ill be forever grateful for Carbery because he saved our PP from Manny Malhotra
Saskleaf liked this.
May 30, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Nathaniel

🫡

Ill be forever grateful for Carbery because he saved our PP from Manny Malhotra

Good to know
May 30, 2023 at 11:52 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I think it's time for people to come to peace with the idea of Keefe being the HC next year. Not firing him already means he is being screwed for employment, and on top of being a ****ty thing to do, that means that MLSE would have to foot the bill for him, and it appears as though the Rogers side of the board is becoming extremely cheap.

I don't think they want to pay another coach thanks to the Babs firing, so like it or not, we should be prepared for a Keefe year
May 30, 2023 at 12:49 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Not making any changes to the core + bringing back Keefe (potentially) all while firing Dubas is what they call “so Leafy”
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 30, 2023 at 1:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 30, 2023 at 1:37 p.m.
Got a feeling we gonna be calling another AHL coach to give em a shot as an assistant or go steal another teams like we did Carolina

Having Jessica Campbell or Marco Sturm run the PP could be very interesting especially Campbell as this would be the first woman NHL assistant coach behind a bench

Could also see Boudreau be an assistant
May 30, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

😢

and-like-that-hes-gone-the-usual-suspects.gif
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 30, 2023 at 3:15 p.m.
Amirov Forever
No official announcement yet on the Dubas front, but it's pretty clear that he's going to be the GM of the Pens. I was a big fan of Dubas' tenure in Toronto. He was good not great, but he was exactly the kind of guy we needed at the helm to right the ship that had strayed so far off the path throughout the 2010s. The situation he finds himself in as GM of the Pens wont be very fun, given their lack of draft capital, significant prospects, old core, and terrible contracts. As a big time Crosby fan, I'm excited to watch the Pens situation and see what Dubas can manage to pull off.

Meanwhile, the situation over here in Toronto is pretty prime. If we manage to hire a decently competent GM, I wouldn't really be worried. All of the anticipation is whats killing me. Obviously I wish Kyle the best of luck, but I think some kind of change was needed in Toronto, granted I would've preferred the front office to have some kind of game plan...
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 30, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
No official announcement yet on the Dubas front, but it's pretty clear that he's going to be the GM of the Pens. I was a big fan of Dubas' tenure in Toronto. He was good not great, but he was exactly the kind of guy we needed at the helm to right the ship that had strayed so far off the path throughout the 2010s. The situation he finds himself in as GM of the Pens wont be very fun, given their lack of draft capital, significant prospects, old core, and terrible contracts. As a big time Crosby fan, I'm excited to watch the Pens situation and see what Dubas can manage to pull off.

Meanwhile, the situation over here in Toronto is pretty prime. If we manage to hire a decently competent GM, I wouldn't really be worried. All of the anticipation is whats killing me. Obviously I wish Kyle the best of luck, but I think some kind of change was needed in Toronto, granted I would've preferred the front office to have some kind of game plan...

Everyone is going to see it a different way but it’s hard for me to look at back to back seasons of 50 wins, restocking the prospect pool despite trading away picks and only having a high of 15 overall (how different could this team look if Amirov followed Knies path and was in the NHL 🤷‍♂️)

There is no question he made some calculated mistakes that didn’t work but I was really looking forward to him having some actual cap space to work with since the cap went flat.

It is what it is, time to move on.

But there is a laundry list of items that have to be solved by someone new to the organization who COULD potentially fukc up the organization for years.

Some major decisions on how to move forward have to be made in a couple of weeks.
FxZBRcbaYAAEkwW?format=jpg&name=large

Shanny took 3 months after firing Nonis before he settled in on Lamiriello. He is about to make another GM decision in weeks. 🤦‍♂️
May 30, 2023 at 3:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The idea of Boudreau as the new PP coach would be intriguing

Does not need the spotlight as the head coach and I feel it would be a nice fit. Also would get him back to Toronto
Saskleaf liked this.
May 30, 2023 at 9:28 p.m.
Birddog
Quoting: aadoyle
Simple faults that can be maneuvered around

Thats what ever competitive team goes through. SJS up till 2020 were competing in the playoffs and doing pretty well came close in 2016 but no cigar.

With Pridham who cares about the cap spending he will manage the financial aspect for Wilson and make it to where everyone fits. As for bad deals werent bad when signed as SJS sharks were trying to compete for a cup and doing what all GMs do not worrying about them until the team starts falling off. Then in 2020 things fell apart. But if they were still competing nobody bats an eye. This is the risk that happens with long term deals. And as we saw with Burns they can move em.

But besides all that hes still a very good GM and would be a fine candidate for the Leafs. As look at how the sharks performed when he was GM or the coaches he hired, his draft record, trades. Majority pretty good.

Who cares about the cap is what got the Leafs into this mess with Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares.
May 30, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Newtown
Who cares about the cap is what got the Leafs into this mess with Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares.

I mean a global pandemic didn’t help either but that’s me
FXpsfYxUUAANUl_?format=png&name=900x900
May 30, 2023 at 9:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 30, 2023 at 9:57 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan

mhm. Still remember when projections were pushing for 88mill good times

All that went down the drain the moment Covid shut down the league heck the world. From there 2 years of 81.5mill then we got 2 years of 1mill increases (83.5mill 2023-2024)

If it wasnt for that we would probs be at an almost 96 mill cap rn but hey **** happens but thankfully we got Pridham and his magic numbers
May 30, 2023 at 9:49 p.m.
Dreger reporting it’s Treliving… I’m gonna be sick
MatthewsFan and Random2152 liked this.
May 30, 2023 at 9:51 p.m.
Birddog
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Sure, but there was no precedent anywhere, ever for signing young stars to large contracts with limited terms that led them straight to UFA. Pasternak and Ehlers were Nylanders direct comparibles, in many ways better in their early careers, yet Nylander got a million more.

Dubas made game changing deals with Marner and Matthews. Covid had nothing to do with that.
May 30, 2023 at 10:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
Or just Bruce as head coach lol.

NO NO NO NO NO

I love Bruce but keep him away from HC here

Would love him running the PP though as an assistant
May 30, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: aadoyle
NO NO NO NO NO

I love Bruce but keep him away from HC here

Would love him running the PP though as an assistant

Why what’s wrong with him as HC? Agree him as PP coach might be better though.
May 30, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Newtown
Sure, but there was no precedent anywhere, ever for signing young stars to large contracts with limited terms that led them straight to UFA. Pasternak and Ehlers were Nylanders direct comparibles, in many ways better in their early careers, yet Nylander got a million more.

Dubas made game changing deals with Marner and Matthews. Covid had nothing to do with that.

Kane, Towes, Crosby all signed 5 year deals after ELC
aadoyle, Saskleaf and Random2152 liked this.
May 30, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

There are certainly worse options. I don't love Treliving, but not because I dislike the guy, but because it doesn't feel like a hire that moves the needle. I know people point to the Tkachuk deal, but lets be honest, nobody thought Florida won that thing, and to be quite honest, if the Flames hire a decent head coach, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to be huge for the Flames.

People are quick to point to the James Neal, and Frolik contracts, but look at the Gaudreau contract, the Hamilton contract, the Mangipane contract, the Andersson contract

Also, when it comes to trades that make a splash, forget about the Tkachuk trade and look at the Hamilton trade.

The truth is, Treliving is just fine. The more I familiarize myself with him, the less I hate the idea. He's no Eric Tulsky, but very few are so gifted. GMBT will be just fine
Saskleaf liked this.
May 30, 2023 at 10:22 p.m.
Amirov Forever
There are certainly worse options. I don't love Treliving, but not because I dislike the guy, but because it doesn't feel like a hire that moves the needle. I know people point to the Tkachuk deal, but lets be honest, nobody thought Florida won that thing, and to be quite honest, if the Flames hire a decent head coach, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to be huge for the Flames.

People are quick to point to the James Neal, and Frolik contracts, but look at the Gaudreau contract, the Hamilton contract, the Mangipane contract, the Andersson contract

Also, when it comes to trades that make a splash, forget about the Tkachuk trade and look at the Hamilton trade.

The truth is, Treliving is just fine. The more I familiarize myself with him, the less I hate the idea. He's no Eric Tulsky, but very few are so gifted. GMBT will be just fine

That being said however, we are definitely overpaying for Killorn this offseason
May 30, 2023 at 10:23 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

I’m praying it’s not true
May 30, 2023 at 10:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

To me Treliving is just a nice fit. He just slots in nicely to this management groups we got. As it seems all his weaknesses are solved through one of the assistants

Contracts. Well Pridham and Shanahan will let him know if its a good or bad idea

Drafting. New scouts and process so new ideas. And hes got some nice picks here and there recently. Like pls get us our own Dustin Wolf or Mangiapane lul

Coaches. Shanny will let him know what kind they want

Like lets be real the only other guys who had experience were all worse. Well besides Wilson but it seems he does not want to be a GM. Things could change.
May 30, 2023 at 10:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
That being said however, we are definitely overpaying for Killorn this offseason

I got a feeling if hes hired its Bertuzzi whose gonna be targeted as hes from Ontario and is basically everything this team needs rn

5.25-5.5 mill x 5-6 years would be nice

Killorn is probs gonna get a 2-3 year deal in open market and I feel Canes are gonna be the pursuer of his service. (Perron like deal)
May 30, 2023 at 10:30 p.m.
Amirov Forever
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4103690

My Michael Stone prediction is looking very nice right about now
Saskleaf liked this.
May 30, 2023 at 10:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4103690

My Michael Stone prediction is looking very nice right about now

If he signs away from CGY I will be shocked. That guy almost seems glued to that team

Kind of surprised he hasnt tried to join his bro in Vegas rn
May 30, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
So the man who let Gaudreau walk for nothing, lost Valimaki on waivers for nothing, hired terrible coaches, Flames have tied up nearly 20% of the cap for the next eight years to two players in their 30’s. Treliving has had a history of signing players to deals that have not been beneficial for this franchise. Looking all the way back, the Troy Brouwer and James Neal deals were major franchise-altering decisions that the team had to fight to get out of. Then there was the Michael Frolik signing for four years that hurt the team’s ability to sign Matthew Tkachuk long-term. Flames have 11 players with movement-limiting clauses in their contract (no-trade, modified no-trade, and no-movement). This has forced the Flames into pushing their chips into the middle this summer, and makes it even harder for the team to make moves this summer under Conroy.

Flames are the most cap-tied team going into the 2023–24 season, with $82.25 million already tied up for next season. That leaves them with just $250,000 to fill the spots left by Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, Stone, and other depth players. That’s an issue.

Yay us

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll