SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Which team has the best U24 Defensive Corps?

Best U24 defensive group
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 15, 2023 at 10:26 a.m.
What I believe to be top-10 (in alphabetical order)
I used 9/15 as cutoff.
And tried to list top guys below...apologies if I missed anyone.

ANA
Pavel Mintyukov -- Jamie Drysdale
Olen Zellweger -- Drew Helleson
Jackson Lacombe -- Ian Moore
Tyson Hinds -- Tristan Luneau

ARI
Janis Moser -- Victor Soderstrom
Artem Duda -- Maveric Lamoureux
Matthew Morden -- Michael Kesselring
Jeremy Langlois -- Vladislav Kolyachonok

BUF
Owen Power -- Rasmus Dahlin (L)
Mattias Samuelsson -- Vsevolod Komarov
Ryan Johnson -- Albert Lyckasen
Mats Lindgren -- Nikita Novikov (L)

CAR
Alexander Nikishin -- Scott Morrow
Domenick Fensore -- Aleksi Heimosalmi
Ronan Seeley -- Bryce Montgomery
Simon Forsmark -- Anttoni Honka

CBJ
Denton Mateychuk -- David Jiricek
Stanislav Svozil -- Adam Boqvist
Samuel Knazko -- Corson Ceulemans
Guillaume Richard -- Aidan Hreschuk (L)

DET
Simon Edvinsson -- Moritz Seider
William Wallinder -- Antti Tuomisto
Albert Johansson -- Anton Johansson
Shai Buium -- Oscar Plandowski

LAK
Tobias Bjornfot -- Brandt Clarke
Kirill Kirsanov -- Jordan Spence
Kim Nousiainen -- Helge Grans
Angus Booth -- Otto Salin

MTL
Kaiden Guhle -- Justin Barron
Lane Hutson -- Miguel Tourigny
Jordan Harris -- Logan Mailloux
Arber Xhekaj -- Dmitri Kostenko

MIN
Carson Lambos -- Brock Faber
Ryan O'Rourke -- Calen Addison
Jack Peart -- David Spacek
Daemon Hunt -- Ryan Healey

NJD
Luke Hughes -- Simon Nemec
Kevin Bahl -- Seamus Casey
Topias Vilen -- Case McCarthy
Daniil Orlov -- Ethan Edwards (L)
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 11:04 a.m.
I'm 100% in the minority but I'm a huge Mateychuk, Svozil, Ceulemans, Boqvist fan and Jiricek looks amazing, Knazko's decent so I'm going CBJ
May 15, 2023 at 3:20 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I'm 100% in the minority but I'm a huge Mateychuk, Svozil, Ceulemans, Boqvist fan and Jiricek looks amazing, Knazko's decent so I'm going CBJ

There's a lot of potential in CBJ, but Buffalo has an established franchise defenseman (Dahlin), a budding elite star (Power), a hugely underrated T4D stalwart (Samuelsson), a former 1st rounder on the bottom pair (Jokiharju), and some high ceiling prospects as well.

Granted Dahlin and Power were placed in their lap with 1st overall picks. And we'll see if Johnson signs. But I don't know how you could put any other stable in the same conversation as Buffalo right now.
And even if we're giving such huge weight to potential, New Jersey has it in bunches. I'd give them the nod over Columbus.
Steven_Stamkos and Laniccal liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
There's a lot of potential in CBJ, but Buffalo has an established franchise defenseman (Dahlin), a budding elite star (Power), a hugely underrated T4D stalwart (Samuelsson), a former 1st rounder on the bottom pair (Jokiharju), and some high ceiling prospects as well.

Granted Dahlin and Power were placed in their lap with 1st overall picks. And we'll see if Johnson signs. But I don't know how you could put any other stable in the same conversation as Buffalo right now.
And even if we're giving such huge weight to potential, New Jersey has it in bunches. I'd give them the nod over Columbus.

Jokiharju will turn 24 before next season, so I omitted him. But I did include RyJo, so balances out a bit.

I think Anaheim and Minnesota are really the ones to watch here. Just a lot of good names…but no elite guys.

Buffalo
Anaheim
New Jersey
Minnesota
Detroit
Columbus
LA Kings
Carolina
Montreal

…is probably how I’d put them.
May 15, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier

Well my problem with Buffalo was that I had no idea why Lyckasen and Komarov are and I’m not sure if Johnson signs, as a Sabres fan, I’m sure you know a lot more about that than I do, I do love Mattias Samuelsson and of course Power and Dahlin are both amazing though. For CBJ, I think Boqvist, Jiricek both can become elite, I think Mateychuk is a future 1st pair D, Ceulemans is a future very good 2nd pair guy, Svozil can be a decent 2nd pair guy and Knazko can become a #4. CBJ has just happened to assemble a good group of D prospects who I all liked and know a lot about.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 5:45 p.m.
Someone voted for Colorado. Interesting (they have 2 players that qualify on their roster, 2 more in reserves).
May 16, 2023 at 12:27 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Someone voted for Colorado. Interesting (they have 2 players that qualify on their roster, 2 more in reserves).

Guess I read the thread as "Under 24" as opposed to "24 and Under" so I only looked at Byram and Behrens being eligible. If Makar qualifies then they are up there above Buffalo and New Jersey, IMO. Devils don't have the pure NHL stud at this age range yet however; lots of potential.
Eissportclub liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Well my problem with Buffalo was that I had no idea why Lyckasen and Komarov are and I’m not sure if Johnson signs, as a Sabres fan, I’m sure you know a lot more about that than I do, I do love Mattias Samuelsson and of course Power and Dahlin are both amazing though. For CBJ, I think Boqvist, Jiricek both can become elite, I think Mateychuk is a future 1st pair D, Ceulemans is a future very good 2nd pair guy, Svozil can be a decent 2nd pair guy and Knazko can become a #4. CBJ has just happened to assemble a good group of D prospects who I all liked and know a lot about.

I don't have much first-hand knowledge of Komarov and Lyckasen either, tbh. I think Euro-based prospects tend to fall under the radar a lot unless they're the truly ELITE. But from what I've heard/read they're probably B-prospects: Top 4 potential but possibility they may never make it to the NHL.
Johnson is a tough one: I haven't seen any rumors one way or the other about whether he'll sign, but I think the prevailing thought is that it's not a good sign that he hasn't put ink to paper yet.
I agree that there is a lot of potential in the Blue Jacket's ranks, but I think people tend to put too much weight behind potential and don't account for the fact that a lot of guys just simply never hit their ceiling. I also learned that the hard way as a Sabres fan.
May 16, 2023 at 11:34 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Guess I read the thread as "Under 24" as opposed to "24 and Under" so I only looked at Byram and Behrens being eligible. If Makar qualifies then they are up there above Buffalo and New Jersey, IMO. Devils don't have the pure NHL stud at this age range yet however; lots of potential.

Few teams do...can probably count on one hard how many #1s are 24 and under.

Devils have the top-2 defensive prospects, both only 19 years old, and both look like they will be studs.
May 16, 2023 at 7:27 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Few teams do...can probably count on one hard how many #1s are 24 and under.

Devils have the top-2 defensive prospects, both only 19 years old, and both look like they will be studs.

Oh for sure, that is why I listed Buffalo and Colorado in that conversation and you would have to add Dallas (Heiskanen) and Kings (Anderson). Anaheim, Jersey, and Columbus have potential but they are at best 1 good year away from being in that "elite" level. Avs with Makar + Byram is tough to beat.

COLORADO: Makar + Byram + Behrens + Malinski
BUFFALO: Dahlin + Power + Samuelsson + Jokiharju
DALLAS: Heiskanen + Lundqvist + Harley + Bichsel
LA: Anderson, Durzi, Brandt, Bjornfot, Spence, Moverare
NEW JERSEY: Hughes, Nemec, Bahl
ANAHEIM: Drysdale, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Helleson, Vaakanainen, LaCombe, Benoit,
COLUMBUS: Boqvist, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Bean, Berni, Knazko
May 16, 2023 at 8:59 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Oh for sure, that is why I listed Buffalo and Colorado in that conversation and you would have to add Dallas (Heiskanen) and Kings (Anderson). Anaheim, Jersey, and Columbus have potential but they are at best 1 good year away from being in that "elite" level. Avs with Makar + Byram is tough to beat.

COLORADO: Makar + Byram + Behrens + Malinski
BUFFALO: Dahlin + Power + Samuelsson + Jokiharju
DALLAS: Heiskanen + Lundqvist + Harley + Bichsel
LA: Anderson, Durzi, Brandt, Bjornfot, Spence, Moverare
ANAHEIM: Drysdale, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Helleson, Vaakanainen, LaCombe, Benoit,
COLUMBUS: Boqvist, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Bean, Berni, Knazko

Under 24 as of start of next season

COLORADO: Byram + Behrens
BUFFALO: Dahlin + Power + Samuelsson
DALLAS: Lundqvist + Harley + Bichsel
LA: Durzi, Brandt, Bjornfot, Spence, Moverare
COLUMBUS: Boqvist, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Berni, Knazko

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit