Forums/Armchair-GM

Actual Scoring Depth for 23-24

Created by: Pjreifii
Team: 2023-24 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: May 25, 2023
Published: May 25, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Assuming cap goes up the projected $1m. Here's my initial thoughts on Canes offseason.

Most contracts are based off Seravalli's article from AFP Analytics on projected contracts. *Some contracts have been extended in term to decrease AAV for older players.
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/bertuzzi-severson-orlov-projected-for-richest-contracts-among-top-50-free-agents

Not sure if this gets the deal done for TK, but offseason target instead of TK would be Bertuzzi. He's not the same player as TK but would be equivalent in terms of grit and scoring ability. I would like to see the Canes target one or both of these players. Also don't know if Canes would do the deal. Trade allows Flyers to move up 20ish spots now that Panthers pick is going to be 95/96 overall.

JVR depth signing comparable to Stastny/Kase signing last year. Could include performance bonuses for goals/GP/SCF appearance etc.

Fast should be resigned, Patches should be resigned for cheap if he wants to play, Compher is an excellent 3C/2C pairing with KK but does lack the finish the Canes need. Could see Canes choosing to resign Staal for a short deal instead but think he lacks some pop the Canes have been needing in the playoffs.

Soucy would be an excellent LHD pairing for Chatfield and could slot up to 2LHD should they choose to not resign Skjei next season.

Think Freddie played great in the playoffs, obviously injuries are a concern. The Canes signed Perets from Quinnipiac so think he could also get a look this season should we need goalie depth and let PK rock as 1A if/when Freddie gets injured. Feels similar to a Bob/Knight situation.

Let me know your thoughts. Sadly it is the CapFriendly time of year now that the Canes have been eliminated :(

PS- If the TK deal doesn't go down, could see Morrow signing after next season with UMASS and being available for EOS/Playoffs should he show he can do so. TK deal falling through means Canes could also throw 6x5.5/6 at Bertuzzi but that may pose problems with expiring contracts going into 24-25.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,200,000
5$5,650,000
4$3,000,000
3$1,500,000
4$3,850,000
2$1,250,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Konecny, Travis
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (FLA)
PHI
  1. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (PHI)
  3. 2024 1st round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Scott Morrow
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$82,326,917$450,000$520,000$1,173,083
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,650,000$5,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$2,200,000$2,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$863,333$863,333
C
RFA - 1
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$839,167$839,167
C
RFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 25, 2023 at 10:57 a.m.
Banned
This is probably the best offer the Flyers could get for TK. I know Carolina has a lot of cap space but for that offer I don’t doubt the Flyers would be willing to retain some on TK too if Carolina were to ask. You can never have enough cap space.
Pjreifii, Hammerwise and radtad liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 11:10 a.m.
Quoting: Samsoc22
This is probably the best offer the Flyers could get for TK. I know Carolina has a lot of cap space but for that offer I don’t doubt the Flyers would be willing to retain some on TK too if Carolina were to ask. You can never have enough cap space.

Agree on the above, its probably, if hes available, a good enough deal to get Philly's attention. (And Kudos for actually offering Morrow, a solid RD prospect, which PHI lacks)
Samsoc22 liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 11:11 a.m.
Compher does nothing for us. If we wouldnt give up that much for a chance at 9 years of meier, we wont do it to get 2 years of TK.
May 25, 2023 at 11:15 a.m.

Yeah, probably an overpay but got me thinking after our dialogue regarding TK yesterday. Think with retention this is a fair deal, but probably outside of the realm of what the Canes will do.
Samsoc22 liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 11:18 a.m.
Quoting: ecupirate07
Compher does nothing for us. If we wouldnt give up that much for a chance at 9 years of meier, we wont do it to get 2 years of TK.

Do you take Compher or Staal right now for a cup run next year? Those are essentially your only two options available in FA market for 3C without making a trade. I think with Landeskog going on LTIR next season, Colorado keeps Compher but if that's his projected deal then it's a reasonable 3C offer.
May 25, 2023 at 11:20 a.m.
Quoting: Hammerwise
Agree on the above, its probably, if hes available, a good enough deal to get Philly's attention. (And Kudos for actually offering Morrow, a solid RD prospect, which PHI lacks)

I think Morrow struggled a bit last season his sophomore year at UMASS and with Chatfield, Pesce, Burns there is a logjam at RHD unless they decide not to resign Pesce so it's the best and most feasible prospect to move IMO. Nikishin is our best prospect right now and his contract expires in the KHL the same time Burns contract expires with the Canes so it makes sense for that to be the future at RHD and cash in on a winger for RHD prospect now.

The offer is probably too high and Samsoc22 indicated retention is possible with that deal, which I think balances it out pretty fairly.
Samsoc22 liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 11:21 a.m.
WAY too much for TK, drop a 1st and Morrow.

Compher doesn't help scoring. He's not worth that much. He's 28 and had his best year when he was with MacKinnon. No, he's a 30 point producer. That's an anchor waiting to happen.
May 25, 2023 at 11:23 a.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
WAY too much for TK, drop a 1st and Morrow.

Compher doesn't help scoring. He's not worth that much. He's 28 and had his best year when he was with MacKinnon. No, he's a 30 point producer. That's an anchor waiting to happen.

Disagree on too much for TK. As mentioned in the other comments on the thread, if Flyers were to add retention it's honestly a pretty balanced offer. Maybe too much that we want to pay, but not too much for actual value.

Name an available 3C that will help scoring. Do you want Staal or Compher for a cup run next year?
Samsoc22 liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 11:27 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Pjreifii
Disagree on too much for TK. As mentioned in the other comments on the thread, if Flyers were to add retention it's honestly a pretty balanced offer. Maybe too much that we want to pay, but not too much for actual value.

Name an available 3C that will help scoring. Do you want Staal or Compher for a cup run next year?

I think people get mixed up in the fact that TK will be extremely sought after because the UFA class is weak. If TK is truly available he will be one of the best available on the market which means many teams will put bids in for him. Is this offer an overpay? I mean yeah but at the same time bidding wars drive the price up on players all of the time. That’s just how sports work. 7 GM’s were willing to offer a 1st for Risto when the flyers got him so the flyers had to overpay to acquire him. Has it worked out? No but TK is miles better of a hockey player than Risto lol
Pjreifii liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 11:28 a.m.

Considering Jordan Staal on average outproduces Compher, I'll take Jordon.

Konecny was shooting at 16%. That is going to come crashing down, he's got a career average of 12. WAY too much for a guy riding a career year
May 25, 2023 at 11:32 a.m.
Edited May 25, 2023 at 11:42 a.m.
I think people get mixed up in the fact that TK will be extremely sought after because the UFA class is weak. If TK is truly available he will be one of the best available on the market which means many teams will put bids in for him. Is this offer an overpay? I mean yeah but at the same time bidding wars drive the price up on players all of the time. That’s just how sports work. 7 GM’s were willing to offer a 1st for Risto when the flyers got him so the flyers had to overpay to acquire him. Has it worked out? No but TK is miles better of a hockey player than Risto lol

Spot on. If the problem with the Canes success is the need for a goal scorer, or an "elite" goal scorer. I'd say TK with 31 goals on the FLYERS (no offense lol) in 60 games last season fits that bill. Outside of one of the Core Four (excluding Tavares) in Toronto if one of those guys is available, I'd say TK is the best option potentially available in the market this offseason.
Samsoc22 liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 11:37 a.m.
Banned
Spot on. If the problem with the Canes success is the need for a goal scorer, or an "elite" goal scorer. I'd say TK with 31 goals on the FLYERS (no offense lol) in 60 games last season fits that bill. Outside of one of the Core Four (excluding Tavares) in Toronto if one of those guys is available, I'd say TK is the best option potentially available in the market this offseason.

Dude you have NO idea lol. No offense taken at all. I have watched all 82 games of the Flyers season for the last decade. The numbers that TK was putting up on this team literally had the announcers stunned 😂 like he would score and it would be like “OMG he created that from nothing how does he keep doing this”. Putting up the numbers he did in a season where Torts changes his line mates like every game, asked him to play in all scenarios (which he never did before for PK), and pushed him harder than most other players and all he did is not only respond but thrive. And that was on a terrible team. Imagine what he would look like in Carolina where he doesn’t have to do everything himself it would be ridiculous.
Hammerwise liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 11:41 a.m.
Considering Jordan Staal on average outproduces Compher, I'll take Jordon.

Konecny was shooting at 16%. That is going to come crashing down, he's got a career average of 12. WAY too much for a guy riding a career year

I agree his shooting % will regress, but in the Canes offense that generates more scoring chances than Philly a 12% career shooting % would exceed Andrei's career shooting % and indicate at minimum another 30-goal scorer in a full 82 GP.

Staal turning 35 indicates regression. Compher at 28 with increased stats with increased TOI indicates growth. I'll take Compher. Also, Staal's contract is projected at 2x$4.2m which is entirely too much for a 35 year old imo. If Staal wants to take less than $2m then I'll take Staal.
May 25, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
Dude you have NO idea lol. No offense taken at all. I have watched all 82 games of the Flyers season for the last decade. The numbers that TK was putting up on this team literally had the announcers stunned 😂 like he would score and it would be like “OMG he created that from nothing how does he keep doing this”. Putting up the numbers he did in a season where Torts changes his line mates like every game, asked him to play in all scenarios (which he never did before for PK), and pushed him harder than most other players and all he did is not only respond but thrive. And that was on a terrible team. Imagine what he would look like in Carolina where he doesn’t have to do everything himself it would be ridiculous.

Not to mention the grit and physicality he brings. Was very impressed with TK last season coming back from injury.
Hammerwise liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
Banned
Not to mention the grit and physicality he brings. Was very impressed with TK last season coming back from injury.

At 25 with 2 years left on a super affordable deal. Sure Marner or AM34 with score more than him but they also make twice as much which is hard in a flat cap world. TK is literally just getting started. He’s my favorite Flyer by a long shot and it will suck if we trade him. I think he is young enough to go through a rebuild and be here when it ends but if they can cash in on him now unfortunately you have to
May 25, 2023 at 11:48 a.m.
I agree his shooting % will regress, but in the Canes offense that generates more scoring chances than Philly a 12% career shooting % would exceed Andrei's career shooting % and indicate at minimum another 30-goal scorer in a full 82 GP.

Staal turning 35 indicates regression. Compher at 28 with increased stats with increased TOI indicates growth. I'll take Compher. Also, Staal's contract is projected at 2x$4.2m which is entirely too much for a 35 year old imo. If Staal wants to take less than $2m then I'll take Staal.

That regression isn't worth it. He's not a point per game winger, which is what you're paying for here. You're another 1st away from opening a Marner conversation. TK is a few rungs away from this caliber of player. If you wanted to go this route, Keller is probably a better fit. He's shown that a shooting percentage north of 15% isn't a fluke, doesn't have the same injury woes, and is signed long term.

I'd rather have a 35 year old Jordan Staal than a 29 year old JT Compher. Offensively, it's close, they both average 30 points a season. Staal is one of the best play drivers in hockey, he's one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and he can do something JT Compher can't and that is be 6'4. Would much rather have Jordo
May 25, 2023 at 11:55 a.m.
That regression isn't worth it. He's not a point per game winger, which is what you're paying for here. You're another 1st away from opening a Marner conversation. TK is a few rungs away from this caliber of player. If you wanted to go this route, Keller is probably a better fit. He's shown that a shooting percentage north of 15% isn't a fluke, doesn't have the same injury woes, and is signed long term.

I'd rather have a 35 year old Jordan Staal than a 29 year old JT Compher. Offensively, it's close, they both average 30 points a season. Staal is one of the best play drivers in hockey, he's one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and he can do something JT Compher can't and that is be 6'4. Would much rather have Jordo

Keller would be a good target, I think I like TK's physicality over Keller but your point is well-spoken and received.

If Staal is willing to take a discount from his projected contract to stay in Carolina, I'm all for it. I think given contract value and age, I'll take the age and speed of Compher over Jordo losing another step, but I'm just a scrub on ACGM so what do I know lol. Curious to see what DW thinks, either way, I don't think Compher leaves COL and we probably end up with Staal anyway.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll