Forums/Mock-Draft

Mock 2.0 with Commentary

Mock 2.0 with Commentary

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: redwings_13_40
Published: May 31, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Sickens me to see him in Chicago
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The next 3 players are not as clear and evident as folks may think. There is a ton of talent to parse between
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Jarmo can likely afford to wait for Michkov, but hard to pass on Leo who has looked great against men and incredibly strong in the WC playing 1st line for Sweden
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Grier can wait -- the Sharks will be in the lottery for a few years so no rush to build a winning squad (a la Columbus with Gaudreau)
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Good consolation prize for Montreal, although I expect teams 5-10 to be salivating if Michkov is there. He is a #1 pick, and a 3 year arrival time isn't that bad when (A) most top-10 players still take 1-2 years and (B) he is a first overall talent in most drafts
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Solid defenseman in a decent league. He's well rounded but still sometimes doesn't get enough credit for puck movement and decision making
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Willander was fantastic in national tournaments to end the year and ate minutes for Rogle. He is so solid and deservedly rising. I think he ends up Top-10.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-A BIG swing and surprise for Washington. Simashev is a great skater and puck mover for his size and is a high-upside pick. Think Simon Edivinsson style draft profile with a bit higher floor but bit lower ceiling than Ed had at the time of his drafting. He improved throughout the year and was very strong in the MHL playoffs and I think folks will be surprised how high he goes
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Two-way player who, with improved skating, should go higher. Showed well against peers after spending the year against tougher pro comp than most picks. A bit more variability in outcome, but a classic Stevie Y pick
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Leonard has a bit of bite and grit on top of a solid two way game. Feels highly projectable and STL is thrilled if he falls to here.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-His skating leaves something to be desired but he also played against faster competition in the NCAA than peers. He has good vision and shooting and I think showed well given his age
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsCoyotes pair Benson with Geekie. He is very small and I worry about his projection, but the offense is certainly there. I personally would avoid drafting but could see PHX being a landing spot, especially given their success with Keller in a similar profile, so 'Yotes take that risk
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Danielson was a high skill, highly reliable player on a weak Brandon team. He drove their offense and progression from D to O zone, even if his point totals 5 on 5 don't reflect the numbers of peers. I think he could go higher.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Penguins take the swing on Sandin-Pellikka, who I think falls a bit given defensive zone issues he'll need to work out. But the offensive upside is superb.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-Nashville adds C-depth with a very strong skater who needs to work on playmaking. But with his stride he'll be able to separate and can take a couple development years to work on his passing and shooting
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-I think Calgary wishes there were better D prospects here but in lieu of that goes with a slightly controversial pick due to consistency, but a borderline top-10 talent with high ceiling
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersThis is a bread and butter wings pick as they continue to look for offensive depth. He again is a solid two-way player who looked good for the junior Swedish team as captain. I think he may end up on the wing in the pros, but his floor is quite high in my view. A good puck mover with strong shooting, passing as well
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-But is an incredibly talented player without an evident pro comparison. But he skates well, has great vision, and works his ass off (watch him backcheck) like nobody in the draft. He's my highest-variance projection, but top-10 upside in this draft.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningStrong, scrappy, good shooter to pair on Chicago's future top line or two. There aren't clear defensemen here so it's Honzek.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Ron Francis has valued production in his recent drafts and this is no exception. A bit hard to project at the NHL level as I think he'll suffer with less time and space, but has produced wto this point.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-A bit of a surprise given the D-men left on the board, but I think his defensive game and stature are better than a couple of the offense-first guys left on the board. I believe in general the Bonk, Gulyayev, Dragicevic's of the world may go even higher than I have given the needs of several teams and cost to get them in FA / trades -- teams will be willing to take a shot on D-men
22Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Los Angeles KingsSpeaking of, Gulyayev goes next to Columbus. I think they would have loved Bonk and need some size in their defensive pipeline, but still a worthwhile pick
23Logo of the New York Rangers-The Rangers hope to end their talent development draught (relative to expectation) by taking a small skill forward who has produced well, but will require developmental help to adjust to the show
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersThis may seem like a reach to some, but he was a top D player in the class who has been riddled with what I think should be non-chronic injuries (collarbone stuff). With more opportunities to grow and prove himself this season, I think this would've looked like a no-questions-asked pick
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsSt Louis adds the high-offensive upside Dragicevic and will look to develop on his defensive concerns. Despite the need for D, his question marks on the defensive end prevents him from going higher
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsSan Jose is pleased to see a natural scorer fall a bit as folks look to bolster their defenses
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado happily takes the strong, good shooting Musty. The OHL was weak this year, and some will say Barlow is the better in this archetype, but I have musty for reasons to be discussed on Barlow
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsEdstrom made some noise in the SHL this year and I think will look like a steal in time
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsSt Louis doubles down on future Top-4 defenseman with a highish-floor Price
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Barlow finally goes; in a weak OHL year, Barlow's totals weren't crazy, and I also found him to be the third man in on too many opportunities -- important goals and not necessarily a bad thing, but I think he'll have to work on driving play a bit more to make it in the middle six at the next level
31Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersMontreal keeps up with the Slovaks with a guy who can add some defensive composure to a team looking to cut down on its goals against
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-A high ceiling, low floor pick. He has to pick up the pace and improve his stride, but has the other offensive tools of a real contributor
May 31, 2023 at 3:25 p.m.
Joe
I think Wings pass on Dvorsky if Benson is still there. Also think we would take Barlow at 17. Mainly because we need goal-scoring bad.
Willander, ASP, and Reinbacher all going before 17 would stink. If Yzerman doesn't trade up the pick and all of those players are gone, I'd expect him to make a trade for a current RD with that pick as a centerpiece
aedoran liked this.
May 31, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
redwings_13_40
Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
I think Wings pass on Dvorsky if Benson is still there. Also think we would take Barlow at 17. Mainly because we need goal-scoring bad.
Willander, ASP, and Reinbacher all going before 17 would stink. If Yzerman doesn't trade up the pick and all of those players are gone, I'd expect him to make a trade for a current RD with that pick as a centerpiece

I think Benson is intriguing, but he is pretty far way from the mold of Yzerman / Draper draft picks. Really undersized, in a junior league, on a good team loaded with firepower and boosting points across all top-line guys... all three are causes for concern that affect his projectability in my mind and aren't worth the risk. I would rather go Leonard or Danielson over Benson at #9.
aedoran liked this.
May 31, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Joe
Quoting: redwings_13_40
I think Benson is intriguing, but he is pretty far way from the mold of Yzerman / Draper draft picks. Really undersized, in a junior league, on a good team loaded with firepower and boosting points across all top-line guys... all three are causes for concern that affect his projectability in my mind and aren't worth the risk. I would rather go Leonard or Danielson over Benson at #9.

I'd go Leonard - I understand that his roots aren't typical, but he's (imo) the best option there when only considering offense, which is what I think the Wings need most.
aedoran liked this.
May 31, 2023 at 4:01 p.m.
SK
I have But ranked at #15, so WPG getting him at 18 is good. HOWEVER... you have Barlow ranked at 30??? Wow. I have him ranked #9 overall. WPG takes him at 18 if he's available.
May 31, 2023 at 4:38 p.m.
redwings_13_40
Quoting: SKWPG
I have But ranked at #15, so WPG getting him at 18 is good. HOWEVER... you have Barlow ranked at 30??? Wow. I have him ranked #9 overall. WPG takes him at 18 if he's available.

Yeah haha we'll see if time proves me wrong, but I just never got very excited watching tape on Barlow. I didn't feel like he drove scoring opportunities for teammates and was third man in a lot. I think that showed on him really poorly in the WJC U18s this year where he was disappointing and lowered his stock. But if that tournament was a blip rather than the norm, I will show out to be wrong on this one

But is a player I really love. I think it would be amazing to see someone in the teens take a big swing on him
SKWPG and aedoran liked this.
May 31, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
Wild2025
Maybe the Wild can start skating 1 forward and 4 defensemen each shift.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 12:51 a.m.
Dvorsky could easily end up like Mantha or Drouin, talented but lazy as hell. The Wings passing on Benson would be a mistake if he even makes it to 9. I also think Stenberg at 17 is a reach especially when we could get Wahlberg in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 4:21 a.m.
mokumboi
I cannot imagine a scenario where they Blues waste a 1st on Dragicevic. He's a poor skater (they basically insist on plus skaters only for their D) and an absolute nightmare defensively.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll