SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Mock v.1.0

Mock v.1.0

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: nscrusoe
Published: Jun. 2, 2023 at 9:51 a.m.
Description
First round mock of the 2023 draft. Tried to explain my thinking with each pick. Attempted to factor in team needs.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-No brainer.
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Stud 1C of the future in Anaheim, over the flashy Zegras. Fantilli will do it all.
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-CBJ should go with the big 1C to build their future around. Carlsson flanked by Laine and Gaudreau in a couple years will be a sight to behold.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-With the Sharks long-term cap-commitments and overall dearth of talent, I don't think there is a team timeline that matches the waiting for Michkov better. They'll be really bad for a few more years, why not stockpile more future assets while you wait for a superstar?
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Montreal should not overthink this... take the remainder of these consensus top-5 forwards. A potential 1C is not a bad leftover at 5.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Reinbacher is skyrocketing up draft boards, and Arizona should be in the market for a potential top-pair big RHD.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-I feel like this is where things get interesting. I've seen Benson compared to Daniel Briere, and with his high-end skill, I could see Philly's new GM swinging for a player much like himself that he can build around.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-The Caps get a top-six C of the future. High floor, relatively safe pick.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-The Wings finally add a potential top-of-the-lineup goal scorer. Seems like the ideal pick, as he also brings some physicality that the Wings currently lack. Could see him being taken by Philly at 7.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-After taking so many forwards in the first round in recent years, St. Louis needs to restock their D-cupboard. Smooth-skating offensive RHD in Sandin Pellikka is a good start.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-From what I've seen, Danielson is regarding as a legit two-way C that teams covet. Has offensive upside too. Could see him going at 9 to Detroit.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsWith a second pick in the top-12, the Yotes can take a huge swing on upside, and after Perreault's record-breaking season with the program, he could be that dynamic offensive player that would be worth the swing.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-The Sabres are rich with talented prospects, but beyond Dahlin/Power/Samuelsson, they are thin in their D-corp for the future. Willander's stock is skyrocketing, and it's easy to project him into a top-4 role.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Not sure what Pittsburgh will do, considering their this pipeline overall. In this case, I can see them swinging on a big, toolsy winger that has a chance to make an impact sooner than most prospects, I'd imagine.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-Moore feels like a natural fit for a Nashville team that has lacked C depth forever, seemingly.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-Calgary takes a versatile forward with a big shot. Has a chance to stick at C.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersDetroit doubles-up on scoring wingers in the first round. Detroit probably would like a C or a RHD here if they already took Leonard, but with Willander, Moore and Yager going right before this pick, Barlow and his offensive talent would be BPA for this spot. Honzek could also be picked here.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Wasn't sure where the Jets would go here, but in this case they opt for the big winger with a very solid two-way game.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningSale slips in the draft from where many projected him to go towards the beginning of the year due to consistency issues. The Blackhawks, with their plethora of early picks, takes a big swing on a ton of skill. They can afford the risk.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Seattle takes a solid offensive-minded RHD with the hopes that he can run a PP one day.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Wild continue their quest to end their perpetual lack of C depth. Stenberg has lots of skill and offensive ability.
22Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Los Angeles KingsIt seems likely to me that Columbus could swing at one of the two LHD Russians that are projected to go in the first round, either Simashev or Gulyayev. Simashev has been rising on draft boards, and his toolkit as a big, smooth-skating two-way D is exciting.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-Ritchie helps NYR build up some C depth.
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersNashville hasn't picked a defensemen in the first round in quite a while, and after already taking Moore, they grab an all-around RHD in Bonk.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsAfter taking a mobile offensive RHD in Sandin Pellikka at 10, St. Louis adds a creative playmaking forward who has a potential to play C.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsHaving already taken Michkov by this point, it may be hard for San Jose to stomach taking another Russian, but Gulyayev has an extremely exciting offensive toolkit. He could take over PP1 duties in a few years after EK65's contract expires.
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado has positional depth needs everywhere, but takes a swing on a talented offensive winger with some size.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston Bruins
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsWith their third pick in the first round, St. Louis takes a big swing on a potentially huge offensive talent. Cristall has some big concerns, particularly with his skating and lack of size, but the Blues can afford to gamble a bit.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Carolina happily takes the towering forward out of Russia. But has great offensive skill and skates well for his size, and he could follow the trajectory of some other solid power forwards in the NHL today.
31Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersAfter adding a potential future 1C in Will Smith at #5, Montreal continues to build their C depth with a reliable defensive-minded forward Stramel.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Vegas rounds out the first round with a reliable two-way LHD in Price.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.
Description for Toronto's pick of Edstrom got deleted by mistake. Edstrom is a name I've seen as high as the mid-teens in some mocks. He's a big, reliable two-way C that could easily project into the middle-six. Good value at #28.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 10:14 a.m.
mokumboi
I can almost guarantee the Blues won't be touching any of those three players in those slots. They don't need a playmaking C, they need a two way. They certainly don't need another small offensive D who can't defend top 6 lines. They don't need more wingers, as they already have loads much better than Cristall. You have them taking three small guys, none of whom is a plus skater.

Moore, Lindstein and Price or Molendyk is more to their needs.
Duggysdanglers liked this.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
I can almost guarantee the Blues won't be touching any of those three players in those slots. They don't need a playmaking C, they need a two way. They certainly don't need another small offensive D who can't defend top 6 lines. They don't need more wingers, as they already have loads much better than Cristall. You have them taking three small guys, none of whom is a plus skater.

Moore, Lindstein and Price or Molendyk is more to their needs.

I can see them or any team taking ASP that high. I agree St Louis will target bigger players.
mokumboi liked this.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 10:41 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Duggysdanglers
I can see them or any team taking ASP that high. I agree St Louis will target bigger players.

And better skaters.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 10:58 a.m.
Joe
I like this, but would be disappointed if 0 of the top 3 RHD this year end up in the Winged Wheel.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 11:57 a.m.
Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
I like this, but would be disappointed if 0 of the top 3 RHD this year end up in the Winged Wheel.

I think any situation where Willander doesn’t end up in Detroit will feel a bit disappointing now after months of talking him up on CF. However, these 2 forwards would be an absolute coup for Yzerman, size and scoring it’s just what we need. Hopefully 2 of the second rounders are swings at RD then
JoeROFLCOPTER liked this.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 12:40 p.m.
ckilpatrick1
Sharks take Bonk at 26 Right hand D man dont need Left D and if Bonk is gone at that point they take either a RHD or But
Jun. 2, 2023 at 12:53 p.m.
Joe
Quoting: pavelisgoat
I think any situation where Willander doesn’t end up in Detroit will feel a bit disappointing now after months of talking him up on CF. However, these 2 forwards would be an absolute coup for Yzerman, size and scoring it’s just what we need. Hopefully 2 of the second rounders are swings at RD then

I have been on the Willander train ever since I've heard his name.
As a player, bout half way through his Rogle J20 campaign.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
Quoting: pavelisgoat

Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
I have been on the Willander train ever since I've heard his name.
As a player, bout half way through his Rogle J20 campaign.

The trouble with Willander is that I'm not sure he makes it to #17, considering the way his stock has been rising. At that point, do the Wings really want to leave some excellent scoring forward talent on the table, such as a Leonard, Dvorsky or even Danielson as a complete C? I vote, as a Wings fan, to take the forward.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 5:16 p.m.
Joe
Quoting: nscrusoe
The trouble with Willander is that I'm not sure he makes it to #17, considering the way his stock has been rising. At that point, do the Wings really want to leave some excellent scoring forward talent on the table, such as a Leonard, Dvorsky or even Danielson as a complete C? I vote, as a Wings fan, to take the forward.

I think the most logical solution is to trade up 17OA.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll