1$1,500,000
1$3,000,000
2$2,000,000
3$3,250,000
Trades
TOR
    Any Marner trade -
    ANA
      Never understood the whole "muhh my team isnt paying for two years of Marner!!!" to justify crappy trade proposals.

Sorry guys, a Selke finalist and back to back 90pt player starts with two firsts and a top prospect. You don't have to pay that, but it's what he's worth. His contract having two years left doesn't change the value.

"He doesn't show up in the playoffs!"
      - 47pts in 50 career playoff games
      He shows up, it's not his fault the supporting cast doesn't.

Before I get called bias, I'm the furthest thing from a Toronto fan. But, I'm still going to be objective. Toronto would be 2headed to trade him.
      TOR
      1. 2024 3rd round pick (VGK)
      2. 2025 4th round pick (PIT)
      Additional Details:
      Any team.
      PIT
      1. Samsonov, Ilya [RFA Rights]
      TOR
      1. Mantha, Anthony ($2,250,000 retained)
      WSH
      1. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
      2. 2025 4th round pick (PIT)
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$83,500,000$77,406,450$0$0$6,093,550
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Washington Capitals
      $600,000$600,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $11,640,250$11,640,250
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      $10,903,000$10,903,000
      RW
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      $796,667$796,667
      LW, RW
      RFA - 1
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 2
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $1,150,000$1,150,000
      RW, C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $825,000$825,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 2
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 3
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 3
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      G
      UFA - 4
      $3,250,000$3,250,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 3
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $766,667$766,667
      G
      RFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      RD
      RFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $5,625,000$5,625,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 1:54 a.m.
      Just keep Samsonov. He won't cost much more than Varlamov, is better and can quite easily fit under the cap
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 1:55 a.m.
      Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
      Just keep Samsonov. He won't cost much more than Varlamov, is better and can quite easily fit under the cap

Sammy is inconsistent. Folded in the playoffs like a cheap lawn chair. Plus, his regular season metrics might incline him to ask for a hefty dollar.

Varlamov is old, sure, but still good (and better than Sammy imo). Could prove a good mentor and stop gap for Woll
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 1:58 a.m.
      Quoting: Ennis
      Sammy is inconsistent. Folded in the playoffs like a cheap lawn chair. Plus, his regular season metrics might incline him to ask for a hefty dollar.

Varlamov is old, sure, but still good. Could prove a good mentor and stop gap for Woll

I still think he's worth keeping. You can run him and Woll as a tandem for a couple years for around ~5m at absolute most which is a bargain (assuming Wolls development continues trending upwards and all signs point to that happening) and not have to deal with a revolving door of goalies
      Ennis and MarquesMen7 liked this.
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 2:04 a.m.
      Fantasy Hockey Pro
      Caps probably accept
      Ennis liked this.
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 2:11 a.m.
      Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
      I still think he's worth keeping. You can run him and Woll as a tandem for a couple years for around ~5m at absolute most which is a bargain (assuming Wolls development continues trending upwards and all signs point to that happening) and not have to deal with a revolving door of goalies

I couldn’t agree more with this. He’s an RFA which means we should get a half decent contract with him short term. Once we’re done with JT’s contract in 2 years, we can explore other options.
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 4:55 a.m.
      LosPatos
      “Never understood the whole "muhh my team isnt paying for two years of Marner!!!" to justify crappy trade proposals.”

I’m gonna play Devils advocate for this one.

Let’s assume a team like Tampa Bay was looking to trade a player like Brayden Point. A very good player with solid stats and much to back up his playing ability. But let’s also say Point only had 2 years left on his contract. Tampa Bay would want a high price for Point, as they should because he is a good player. But now let’s also say that it’s a 50/50 chance that Point walks into free agency the year his contract expires. Toronto would be weary to give up a massive amount for Point if they knew they are not certain they can lock up him long term.

This is why the Matthews, Marner, Nylander trades to teams like Anaheim don’t make a lot of sense. While the Ducks would greatly benefit from any of those three players, it wouldn’t make sense to them to effect their team’s future for a player who could have a high chance of walking in free agency. The dagger in the coffin as well is the amount of money that these players are making, and they’ll eventually ask for even more, which is significantly too high for some team.
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
      Quoting: LosPatos
      “Never understood the whole "muhh my team isnt paying for two years of Marner!!!" to justify crappy trade proposals.”

I’m gonna play Devils advocate for this one.

Let’s assume a team like Tampa Bay was looking to trade a player like Brayden Point. A very good player with solid stats and much to back up his playing ability. But let’s also say Point only had 2 years left on his contract. Tampa Bay would want a high price for Point, as they should because he is a good player. But now let’s also say that it’s a 50/50 chance that Point walks into free agency the year his contract expires. Toronto would be weary to give up a massive amount for Point if they knew they are not certain they can lock up him long term.

This is why the Matthews, Marner, Nylander trades to teams like Anaheim don’t make a lot of sense. While the Ducks would greatly benefit from any of those three players, it wouldn’t make sense to them to effect their team’s future for a player who could have a high chance of walking in free agency. The dagger in the coffin as well is the amount of money that these players are making, and they’ll eventually ask for even more, which is significantly too high for some team.

I mean, sure, the price might be a bit steep for some teams.The point i’m making is more that it’s still a big “what if”. Fans of teams acting like two years of a player is equal to one, and he’s a pure rental. Which, he’s not.

The price may be a bit steep for some teams., but that’s not really changing his value. This is still Mitch Marner. Teams would be (and probably have already) blowing up a GM’s phone to inquire about a Selke finalist and back to back 90 point player.

If bum players like Jeannot and Chiarot are massively overpaid for because of how other GM’s valued them, it’s a no brainer that Marner is the same. A team can would around his current cap hit if it means they acquire him.
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
      LosPatos
      I mean, sure, the price might be a bit steep for some teams.The point i’m making is more that it’s still a big “what if”. Fans of teams acting like two years of a player is equal to one, and he’s a pure rental. Which, he’s not.

The price may be a bit steep for some teams., but that’s not really changing his value. This is still Mitch Marner. Teams would be (and probably have already) blowing up a GM’s phone to inquire about a Selke finalist and back to back 90 point player.

If bum players like Jeannot and Chiarot are massively overpaid for because of how other GM’s valued them, it’s a no brainer that Marner is the same. A team can would around his current cap hit if it means they acquire him.

I understand what you’re saying but some teams have the argument as they’re trading for these players as if they are rentals because of their term.
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 3:27 p.m.
      Quoting: LosPatos
      I understand what you’re saying but some teams have the argument as they’re trading for these players as if they are rentals because of their term.

And I do see where you're coming from.

From my POV, two years is not the same as one. It's not going to tank his value like most people on this site seem to think.
      Also, he can always just... extend after one year? I don't see it hindering his value at all.
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
      LosPatos
      And I do see where you're coming from.

From my POV, two years is not the same as one. It's not going to tank his value like most people on this site seem to think.
      Also, he can always just... extend after one year? I don't see it hindering his value at all.

I think their value should still be high, but not to the point it risks the team buying the players future.

**their, stupid auto correct
      Ennis liked this.
      Jun. 20, 2023 at 10:44 p.m.
      Casual Fan
      Washington isn’t going to Retain on Mantha for that poor return.
      Jun. 21, 2023 at 1:18 a.m.
      Quoting: Kuzbackov
      Washington isn’t going to Retain on Mantha for that poor return.

Poor return? He had 27 points. Retention might be the only way he gets shipped
      Jun. 21, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
      Casual Fan
      Poor return? He had 27 points. Retention might be the only way he gets shipped
      Matha is inarguably an NHL player and a Late 3rd and 4th is absolutely terrible value for a guy with a $2.5M (after retention) salary that can score 27PTs. No matter what your inane concept of Mantha’s value is, this ain’t it. So YES it’s very poor value.
      Jun. 21, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
      Edited Jun. 21, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
      Matha is inarguably an NHL player and a Late 3rd and 4th is absolutely terrible value for a guy with a $2.5M (after retention) salary that can score 27PTs. No matter what your inane concept of Mantha’s value is, this ain’t it. So YES it’s very poor value.

… I payed you a 4th for a player who performed at a 3rd line rate last season making way too much money, and I gave you a 3rd for one year of retention.

I honestly think I completely overpayed by how invisible he was. 2.5m for 27 points is crazy when you can sign two bottom 6 players at 1.25 for MORE production. Maybe I’ll re make this and scrap Mantha.

“Inarguably an NHL player” doesn’t get you any more than a 3rd. Are you expecting a 2nd or 1st for Mantha? At least another caps fan agreed with me above^
      Jun. 21, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.
      Casual Fan
      … I payed you a 4th for a player who performed at a 3rd line rate last season making way too much money, and I gave you a 3rd for one year of retention.

I honestly think I completely overpayed by how invisible he was. 2.5m for 27 points is crazy when you can sign two bottom 6 players at 1.25 for MORE production. Maybe I’ll re make this and scrap Mantha.

“Inarguably an NHL player” doesn’t get you any more than a 3rd. Are you expecting a 2nd or 1st for Mantha? At least another caps fan agreed with me above^
      Your take isn’t smart. The Capitals are not going to trade Mantha for that poor value and retain on his contract. What do you not get? Trading Mantha isn’t the problem. The problem is the retention. The Capitals are not going to retain on Mantha’s contract AND trade him for basically nothing. What benefit is there to the Capitals to do your trade? $2.5M in Cap Space? Because the Caps aren’t desperate for Cap Space. Why would they make a bad trade for Cap Space. Why wouldn’t they just keep Mantha instead of retaining?

I can basically guarantee that other Caps fan didn’t see the retention. There’s ZERO point for WSH to trade Mantha in this scenario and pay half his salary and Cap Hit, that’s dumb.
      Jun. 21, 2023 at 5:13 p.m.
      Your take isn’t smart. The Capitals are not going to trade Mantha for that poor value and retain on his contract. What do you not get? Trading Mantha isn’t the problem. The problem is the retention. The Capitals are not going to retain on Mantha’s contract AND trade him for basically nothing. What benefit is there to the Capitals to do your trade? $2.5M in Cap Space? Because the Caps aren’t desperate for Cap Space. Why would they make a bad trade for Cap Space. Why wouldn’t they just keep Mantha instead of retaining?

I can basically guarantee that other Caps fan didn’t see the retention. There’s ZERO point for WSH to trade Mantha in this scenario and pay half his salary and Cap Hit, that’s dumb.

I paid the average value of a 3rd for the retention. Mantha sucks, should have traded him for a 5th.
      Jun. 21, 2023 at 5:15 p.m.

My sincere apologies, MacLellan, for not paying a 1st for your 3rd line player.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll