SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Nick Kypreos proposing trading Tavares and eating half of his salary

Jun. 28, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
Jason Zucker Smile
Anyone else hear Nick Kypreos propose trading Tavares and eating half of the salary for another team. Is this guy for real? How many times has this guy been punched in the head and how much damage has been done?
palhal liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 8:10 p.m.
It might not be as crazy as it sounds if that's what it takes to keep Matthews and Nylander (though I don't think they should have to retain 50% -- I think he'd be a steal at 30-35%), but it'll never happen because Tavares would never agree to it.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 9:15 p.m.
Big Dawg JT
well notears of joy
Jul. 14, 2023 at 9:57 a.m.
Jason Zucker Smile
Quoting: jr400
It might not be as crazy as it sounds if that's what it takes to keep Matthews and Nylander (though I don't think they should have to retain 50% -- I think he'd be a steal at 30-35%), but it'll never happen because Tavares would never agree to it.

Quoting: LaffsFan
well notears of joy

This was too funny to me hearing Kypreos say it. I would be getting rid of Nylander as fast as I can. If I'm Toronto I want players that want to play in Toronto. Tavares is a Leaf for life now. What do you think his next contract will be in Toronto? It obviously won't be in the $11 Million/season range. Is Tavares overpaid as of right now? Yes. Is Nylander underpaid as of right now? You could argue, Yes. However, if you trade Nylander to another team, do you think he's going to being playing with the level of elite players he's currently playing with in Toronto? Probably not. I think Toronto should capitalize on a return for him now and move on. There is always drama with Nylander and he thinks he is better than he really is.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 7:10 p.m.
Puckhead
I can’t think of a scenario…hmm

To Arizona 50% retained with Jarnkrok for Crouse, McBain and picks?

Arizona would then retain 50 and send him to Boston or some team in need for a haul.

I doubt Tavares would waive his NMC in any scenario.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Puckhead
Woo I love this far fetched scenario though…

Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Crouse Domi Nylander
Knies Kampf McBain
McMann Gambrell Reaves
Lafferty

Something like that…and that’s hard to play against?
Sep. 5, 2023 at 8:15 a.m.
Jason Zucker Smile
Quoting: GM_SZK
I can’t think of a scenario…hmm

To Arizona 50% retained with Jarnkrok for Crouse, McBain and picks?

Arizona would then retain 50 and send him to Boston or some team in need for a haul.

I doubt Tavares would waive his NMC in any scenario.

Woo I love this far fetched scenario though…

Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Crouse Domi Nylander
Knies Kampf McBain
McMann Gambrell Reaves
Lafferty

Something like that…and that’s hard to play against?

Hey,

You,

Guy,

Cut this out. Tavares isn't going anywhere.

Not to mention you have Domi playing 2C.

So, you trade Tavares and slot Domi in his place?

How about a line with Domi, Tavares, and Marner? or Domi, Tavares, and Bertuzzi?

Or, maybe lets slot Domi on the 3rd line and make this team that much deeper.
GM_SZK liked this.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 8:14 a.m.
average joe
If Leafs didn't sign Matthews, I was thinking.
Trade Matthews - 50% retained.
Trade Nylander - 50% retained.
Trade Marner - 50% retained.
E.g. the blow-it-up strategy.
Depending on what you get back, you are probably in a 2 or 3 year rebuild.
Tavares looks around and sees no chance of winning in 2 years and waves his NMC. Trade him - 50% retained. (He may come back in 2 years to be part of the "next" team.
With the haul received back in return, the Leafs will likely be better 3 years from now compared to them following their current strategy.

Signing Matthews means Leafs are still in win-now mode. Getting rid of a #2, albeit a bit slow, centre and eating $5M is not the path to short-term success.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 9:08 a.m.
Jason Zucker Smile
This team is majority owned by two Telecommunications GIANTS, 75% combined ownership between Bell and Rogers (37.5% each respectively).

Basically, this means they don't really care what happens on the ice with this team, like for instance, WIN. The only thing all these money-hungry corporations care about is, in fact, your money.

Now, if Toronto actually does WIN something, even better; sprinkles, cherries, any topping you want on top of that sundae. You just helped the corporation make more money; they like you, for now.

I'm sure Bell and Rogers don't care who is a Leafs fan when they send out their monthly cable bills.

Most people have been watching this movie long enough, they start to wonder, is anything going to change?

A lot of fans get on board with it, because you know, they don't want to go against 'their' team. Last time I checked, this team doesn't pay the average fan for their obedience.

I don't feel sad for the Leafs fans that are born after the year 2000, and have essentially been spoiled. These fans no nothing of heartache.

I feel sad for the Leafs fans that were born in 1968, 1969, 1970, and so on, who have been grinding, year after year, hoping this team would get it together.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 9:45 a.m.
Quoting: Wilson_W_Wilson_Jr
This team is majority owned by two Telecommunications GIANTS, 75% combined ownership between Bell and Rogers (37.5% each respectively).

Basically, this means they don't really care what happens on the ice with this team, like for instance, WIN. The only thing all these money-hungry corporations care about is, in fact, your money.

Now, if Toronto actually does WIN something, even better; sprinkles, cherries, any topping you want on top of that sundae. You just helped the corporation make more money; they like you, for now.

I'm sure Bell and Rogers don't care who is a Leafs fan when they send out their monthly cable bills.

Most people have been watching this movie long enough, they start to wonder, is anything going to change?

A lot of fans get on board with it, because you know, they don't want to go against 'their' team. Last time I checked, this team doesn't pay the average fan for their obedience.

I don't feel sad for the Leafs fans that are born after the year 2000, and have essentially been spoiled. These fans no nothing of heartache.

I feel sad for the Leafs fans that were born in 1968, 1969, 1970, and so on, who have been grinding, year after year, hoping this team would get it together.

I really don't agree with this. Yes, they want to make money, but Rogers/MLSE has constantly been investing a lot of money in players/stadiums/training/coaching, etc.

It was even reported in 2015 when the Jays made their run that Rogers customer complaints went down.

I really don't see any example of any Toronto teams being cheap but feel free to share what you're basing your comments on.

On the original topic....Kypreos is a boob. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to his podcast...he's pretty good for insider info...but he's terrible on his "what if" takes....probably intentionally so...so that he gets reactions/clicks.

I don't see a scenario where JT waives his NTC....I think he stays in Toronto and possibly re-signs at a much reduced rate in a couple years.

Personally, I'd like to re-sign Nylander...but I'd be okay if he's traded for a young, highly drafted C that we can develop into a 2C in the next couple years.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 2:27 p.m.
average joe

At least those born in 1966 or early '67 can say they were alive for a Cup win. smile
GM_SZK liked this.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 5:10 p.m.
Puckhead
Quoting: Juice
I really don't agree with this. Yes, they want to make money, but Rogers/MLSE has constantly been investing a lot of money in players/stadiums/training/coaching, etc.

It was even reported in 2015 when the Jays made their run that Rogers customer complaints went down.

I really don't see any example of any Toronto teams being cheap but feel free to share what you're basing your comments on.

On the original topic....Kypreos is a boob. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to his podcast...he's pretty good for insider info...but he's terrible on his "what if" takes....probably intentionally so...so that he gets reactions/clicks.

I don't see a scenario where JT waives his NTC....I think he stays in Toronto and possibly re-signs at a much reduced rate in a couple years.

Personally, I'd like to re-sign Nylander...but I'd be okay if he's traded for a young, highly drafted C that we can develop into a 2C in the next couple years.

The board runs MLSE, they don't run the team anyway...Dubas, I mean Shanahan, I mean Treliving does...
Sep. 6, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.
Puckhead
The board runs MLSE, they don't run the team anyway...Dubas, I mean Shanahan, I mean Treliving does...

Quoting: Messier99
At least those born in 1966 or early '67 can say they were alive for a Cup win. smile

The board runs MLSE, they don't run the hockey team...Dubas, I mean Shanahan, I mean Treliving does...
Sep. 6, 2023 at 10:03 p.m.
The board runs MLSE, they don't run the hockey team...Dubas, I mean Shanahan, I mean Treliving does...

You aren't making any sense and have failed to make a salient point to support your comments. The leafs spend a lot more than any other franchise on hockey operations. It's not close.

You can challenge their strategy, personnel, etc...but saying that MLSE/their board being money-conscious is a factor in the lack of success is embarrassingly incorrect.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 10:06 p.m.
Sep. 6, 2023 at 10:43 p.m.
Puckhead
Quoting: Juice
You aren't making any sense and have failed to make a salient point to support your comments. The leafs spend a lot more than any other franchise on hockey operations. It's not close.

You can challenge their strategy, personnel, etc...but saying that MLSE/their board being money-conscious is a factor in the lack of success is embarrassingly incorrect.

wuh, I think you replied to the wrong post?
Juice liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 1:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Anyone else hear Nick Kypreos propose trading Tavares and eating half of the salary for another team. Is this guy for real? How many times has this guy been punched in the head and how much damage has been done?

The sad state of affairs is that so many of these TV/radio personalities just have to say "something". They try to stay relevant and depend on hits and views to keep their jobs. No factual basis in 95% in what they say. There opinions are just like any other hockey fans, but these paid liars, want the their followers to believe they have so much inside knowledge.
Sep. 8, 2023 at 11:18 a.m.
Jason Zucker Smile
I have no clue what this guy - Juice - is trying to say in this thread. READ the posts and what people are writing.

Do people actually realize how much money this team generates annually? I know that they operate at the highest CAP, they should be operating at the highest CAP!

I read his post and ignored him immediately. Life is short, folks.

I could care less what someone has to say that has a Mitch Marner picture as their avatar, and who probably works for either Bell or Rogers.

I don't care if you don't agree with what I have to say, feel free to ignore me.
Sep. 8, 2023 at 11:29 a.m.
I have no clue what this guy - Juice - is trying to say in this thread. READ the posts and what people are writing.

Do people actually realize how much money this team generates annually? I know that they operate at the highest CAP, they should be operating at the highest CAP!

I read his post and ignored him immediately. Life is short, folks.

I could care less what someone has to say that has a Mitch Marner picture as their avatar, and who probably works for either Bell or Rogers.

I don't care if you don't agree with what I have to say, feel free to ignore me.

lol....seems you have issues reading. I could care less about bell or rogers.

still no facts from you...only stupidity

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll