Forums/Armchair-GM

Hanifin trade

Created by: pensfan21
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 29, 2023
Published: Jun. 29, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Pens apparently in play for Noah Hanifin, but I know Dubas said we likely will not be trading an 1sts. Can this trade be done without a 1st round pick? Seems unlikely to me, but wanted to see what you all thought.
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
17$83,500,000$64,123,092$0$0$19,376,908
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:19 p.m.
Pickering and a second?
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:19 p.m.
Didn't Dubas say they wouldn't be trading 1sts last season with the Leafs too?
Imagine874859 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.
I play. You?
Toffoli only got them a 3rd. Calgary really has no choice than to take the best they can get because they aren't resigning
Imagine874859 and pensfan21 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
Pens are better
Considering what Toffoli went for, Smith and a 2nd would probably be enough
pensfan21 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
Birddog
Quoting: AC14
Didn't Dubas say they wouldn't be trading 1sts last season with the Leafs too?

He traded 6 first round picks in his five years with the Leafs. The Leafs had 3 picks this year and are missing high picks in each of the next 3 years. Dubas is a clown.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
Quoting: Newtown
He traded 6 first round picks in his five years with the Leafs. The Leafs had 3 picks this year and are missing high picks in each of the next 3 years. Dubas is a clown.

There's a price to winning. Leafs are in win now mode 100% they should be trading their picks. Their roster is good enough to win a cup imo, one of the most stacked last year. Pens are 1-2 years away from a rebuild, and while we are still trying to compete I don't think it's smart to trade any 1sts. Unless we look really good at deadline. I think Dubas approach for us is smart.
Imagine874859 and LFG liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
Quoting: Imagine874859
Considering what Toffoli went for, Smith and a 2nd would probably be enough

I think Pens would take that trade easily. And I could kind of see something like that happening. Although I do really like Smith, either him or POJ would be heading the other way.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
Birddog
Quoting: pensfan21
There's a price to winning. Leafs are in win now mode 100% they should be trading their picks. Their roster is good enough to win a cup imo, one of the most stacked last year. Pens are 1-2 years away from a rebuild, and while we are still trying to compete I don't think it's smart to trade any 1sts. Unless we look really good at deadline. I think Dubas approach for us is smart.

He left out the winning part. They were even more stacked when he was hired.

Have a look at his trade history. He gets credit for building a team that he didn’t build. All the core pieces were there when he got hired and a few others that he squandered away.

Good luck, but I for one am glad he is gone.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:30 p.m.
Calgary accepts
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:30 p.m.
Pens are better
I think Pens would take that trade easily. And I could kind of see something like that happening. Although I do really like Smith, either him or POJ would be heading the other way.

I'm hoping they keep POJ because of the statements he made at the NHL awards
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
Pens are better
He left out the winning part. They were even more stacked when he was hired.

Have a look at his trade history. He gets credit for building a team that he didn’t build. All the core pieces were there when he got hired and a few others that he squandered away.

Good luck, but I for one am glad he is gone.

Lol blaming Dubas is pretty funny. He made the right moves and gave every opportunity for the team to be successful. It's on the players at this point.
pensfan21 liked this.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
I'm hoping they keep POJ because of the statements he made at the NHL awards

I feel that. Seems like a great guy. I think Smith has a higher ceiling, but POJ has a much higher floor if that makes sense. If POJ can bulk a little he'll be a very solid D for us. It's a tough one picking between the two.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
Lol blaming Dubas is pretty funny. He made the right moves and gave every opportunity for the team to be successful. It's on the players at this point.

I thought Dubas did a really good job there, and apparently he was restricted by Shannahan as well. Him having a trade for Take Thompson and being struck down is a big example. I thought he had an almost perfect TDL last year too, gave Toronto everything they needed.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 7:43 p.m.
I thought Dubas did a really good job there, and apparently he was restricted by Shannahan as well. Him having a trade for Take Thompson and being struck down is a big example. I thought he had an almost perfect TDL last year too, gave Toronto everything they needed.

Did he actually try to trade for Thompson? I’ve never heard that anywhere?
Jun. 29, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
Quoting: GladeBang12
Did he actually try to trade for Thompson? I’ve never heard that anywhere?

Went to find the source and just realized it was one of those fake accounts. It was Frank Serevelli, exact same twitter handle and profile picture but they changed like one letter in his name. Got me pretty good there
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
Birddog

What right moves? Don’t generalize. Tell us?

Trading Kadri?
Trading Marleau and a 1st for nothing?
Mason Marchment for Denis Malgin?
Connor Brown for 1 awful season of Cody Ceci?
Kapanen for a 1st seemed good until he passed on Guhle and Schneider to draft Amirov.
Matt Martin for nothing and they’ve been searching for someone to protect their young stars ever since.
Nick Foligno for a 1st and 2 4ths? LOL!
Dave Ritich for a 3rd. Dave played 4 games and had a .888 save %.
Muzzin that turned into Bjornfot, Grundstrum and Durzi.
Sandin for a 1st that turned into Cowan….ouch
Mrazek and a 1st for a 2nd…to fix his mistake less than a year earlier.
Nick Ritchie and a 2nd to fix another mistake.
Leaving Jared McCann unprotected.
Losing Hyman to FA because he overpaid Matthews, Marner and Nylander in their 2nd contracts before they won anything.
Trevor Moore for Jack Campbell because he let Anderson walk.
Dakota Joshua for nothing.

His trade record was awful. He’s a terrible GM.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.
Pens are better
What right moves? Don’t generalize. Tell us?

Trading Kadri?
Trading Marleau and a 1st for nothing?
Mason Marchment for Denis Malgin?
Connor Brown for 1 awful season of Cody Ceci?
Kapanen for a 1st seemed good until he passed on Guhle and Schneider to draft Amirov.
Matt Martin for nothing and they’ve been searching for someone to protect their young stars ever since.
Nick Foligno for a 1st and 2 4ths? LOL!
Dave Ritich for a 3rd. Dave played 4 games and had a .888 save %.
Muzzin that turned into Bjornfot, Grundstrum and Durzi.
Sandin for a 1st that turned into Cowan….ouch
Mrazek and a 1st for a 2nd…to fix his mistake less than a year earlier.
Nick Ritchie and a 2nd to fix another mistake.
Leaving Jared McCann unprotected.
Losing Hyman to FA because he overpaid Matthews, Marner and Nylander in their 2nd contracts before they won anything.
Trevor Moore for Jack Campbell because he let Anderson walk.
Dakota Joshua for nothing.

His trade record was awful. He’s a terrible GM.

Yet Toronto has still been a top 5 team. Sorry pal, but as much as you hate it the core players clearly can't get their s*** together in the playoffs. Dubas made a cup contender, doesn't matter how but he did. It was on the players from there and they haven't figured it out, its been years. Good moves? Lafferty, Schenn, McCabe, O'Reilly, Bunting, Timmins, oh and the last time I checked Bjornfot was a fringe NHL player and Grundstrum is a 4th liner. Durzi idnt anything special either. When he's not injured, Muzzin is a top 4 dman. He provided much needed toughness, leadership, and reliable play for a Leafs defense group that severely lacked it. Also you're forgetting how Dubas got Hyman in the first place. Do that research. And how was the Campbe deal bad? They were in much need of a goalie and Campbell came in and played some of his best hockey there. Were you really going to be sitting and pouting because they traded Kapanen for a 1st? As far as I'm concerned, Kapanen is now a bottom 6 player so. Can't blame Dubas for Amirov. The health issues weren't a concern when they drafted him. And here's another thing... if you're mad that they resigned the core 3 of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander at that time instead of signing Hyman then your list is just made up. Those 3 guys are PPG players. I mean c'mon. Dakota Joshua for nothing? Where is he now?
Jun. 30, 2023 at 9:11 p.m.
Birddog
Yet Toronto has still been a top 5 team. Sorry pal, but as much as you hate it the core players clearly can't get their s*** together in the playoffs. Dubas made a cup contender, doesn't matter how but he did. It was on the players from there and they haven't figured it out, its been years. Good moves? Lafferty, Schenn, McCabe, O'Reilly, Bunting, Timmins, oh and the last time I checked Bjornfot was a fringe NHL player and Grundstrum is a 4th liner. Durzi idnt anything special either. When he's not injured, Muzzin is a top 4 dman. He provided much needed toughness, leadership, and reliable play for a Leafs defense group that severely lacked it. Also you're forgetting how Dubas got Hyman in the first place. Do that research. And how was the Campbe deal bad? They were in much need of a goalie and Campbell came in and played some of his best hockey there. Were you really going to be sitting and pouting because they traded Kapanen for a 1st? As far as I'm concerned, Kapanen is now a bottom 6 player so. Can't blame Dubas for Amirov. The health issues weren't a concern when they drafted him. And here's another thing... if you're mad that they resigned the core 3 of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander at that time instead of signing Hyman then your list is just made up. Those 3 guys are PPG players. I mean c'mon. Dakota Joshua for nothing? Where is he now?

Marner, Matthews and Nylander all had excellnt playoffs this year. If Dumbas didn’t rape the team of depth they would have faired better. He’s brutal. Good riddance. How many of those “good players” are still with the Leafs? Schenn, O’Reilly, Bunting are all UFAs and technically not Leafs. Timmins and Lafferty were healthy scratches for the playoffs. McCabe is the only thing left to show for trading 6, SIX(!), 1st round picks. That’s awful asset management. He had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Reilly, plus Kadri, Hyman and Anderson to start. Squandered 3 of them, overpaid 3 more of them, and screwed the team moving forward. Easily the most over-rated GM in the league. He sucks and the proof is his trade record. He’s lucky he has good scouts that drafted Knies in the second round even though he wanted to trade the pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll