Forums/Armchair-GM

Keep on rollin

Created by: HockeyGuy39
Team: 2023-24 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 30, 2023
Published: Jun. 30, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think these are more realistic moves for CBJ to make. I don't see them throwing away depth for future picks after what happened last year with injuries. I think they carry a lot of guys into training camp, and then make moves accordingly after the depth chart starts to take shape there.

I would like to see them flip a RD and get a LD just to even things out more. I also just don't believe in Jake Bean and if his struggles continue then there's not great options to fill the 3LD spot without forcing Svozil there. I know they tried Blankenberg there last year with mixed results, but I think that should still be a plan C rather than plan B.

I also think they still try to find a cheaper 2C that can elevate himself when playing with guys like Laine/Gaudreau/Marchenko and stop-gap the 1C role until Fantilli is fully ready to take it over. I picked Pageau because he's good in the faceoff circle, but there's lot of targets like that I think we good get at a good price in a trade or FA. I love Boone Jenner, but I think his ice time needs to come down, mostly due to injury concerns.

At the end of the day though, this team's failure/success is going to come down to Merzlikins getting back to what he can be. We're not going anywhere without him being at least a consistently average NHL goalie, and he's not going anywhere with that contract.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
Trades
BOS
  1. Roslovic, Jack ($2,000,000 retained)
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (LAK)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$82,058,333$0$3,550,000$1,441,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$9,750,000$9,750,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C, RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
RFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 1
$1,525,000$1,525,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
RFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,583,333$9,583,333
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$5,400,000$5,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,725,000$4,725,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
RFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,333,333$2,333,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 30, 2023 at 10:58 a.m.
This is pretty close to my ideal opening-night lineup, with a couple changes:
1. I'd rather see Peeke get moved for JGPG over Boqvist, I think he's redundant with Gudbranson and Boqvist has the much higher ceiling (and is already underrated). Not sure what that does to the value for that trade, but including Boqvist+ already seems like a slight overpay.
2. I'm assuming Jiricek cracks the opening night lineup, but even if he starts in the AHL he's going to end up in the NHL by the end of the year. A D-core of Z-Severson, Provorov-Jiricek, and Grzelyk-Boqvist would probably be top-10 in the league. Svozil probably forces his way into the lineup in 24-25.

Spot on about Merzlikins, and I love those lines. Lets hope more than half the team can stay healthy this year!
HockeyGuy39 liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 11:01 a.m.
Nah.
Edited Jun. 30, 2023 at 11:24 a.m.
Interesting idea for JGP, though I just don’t think he’ll be able to handle the top line, or worse - bring it down. Also, I have to imagine CBJ are on his no trade.

I do like the Grizz trade, though. It would sure as hell make for an improved blue line, even if that is a hell of an expensive third pair.

I like Jiricek getting as much time as needed in the AHL.

Quoting: CaseyFlyman
1. I'd rather see Peeke get moved for JGPG over Boqvist, I think he's redundant with Gudbranson and Boqvist has the much higher ceiling (and is already underrated). Not sure what that does to the value for that trade, but including Boqvist+ already seems like a slight overpay.
2. I'm assuming Jiricek cracks the opening night lineup, but even if he starts in the AHL he's going to end up in the NHL by the end of the year. A D-core of Z-Severson, Provorov-Jiricek, and Grzelyk-Boqvist would probably be top-10 in the league. Svozil probably forces his way into the lineup in 24-25.

Spot on about Merzlikins, and I love those lines. Lets hope more than half the team can stay healthy this year!

My issue is, Boqvist is an offensive-D. He needs T4 minutes, and to play with Fs higher in the lineup. With Jiricek and Severson in front of him, he’s not getting that. If anything, he’s redundant after Severson.
HockeyGuy39 and CaseyFlyman liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 11:15 a.m.
I think Isles fan would be good with the deal. Boqvist takes Mayfields spot and the Isles have enough center dept. Save them some cap money for sign a top6 wing
HockeyGuy39 liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
IDK who came up with this Roslovic/Grzelcyk framework, but it's awful for Columbus. With the retention on Roslovic, Columbus would be paying Grizz essentially $6M this year. You've got a defensive starting lineup that costs $33M all by itself, not counting Bean, and manages to keep Jiricek in Cleveland (and it's not clear that would be necessary, so why force the issue?). I'm fine trading Roslovic, Peeke, Bean, or even Boqvist for the right return, but yet another high-priced defenseman doesn't fit the bill here.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 12:01 p.m.
Quoting: CaseyFlyman

I definitely agree that I'd rather see Peeke get traded than Boqvist, but I know NYI are probably looking for scoring and that's one thing he has proven he can do so that was my thought process. And also why I threw in Bemstrom as a possible change-of-Scenery guy who could provide depth scoring.

It would not surprise me at all to see Jiricek earn an opening night slot, and if that happens you'd just have to make another move further down the line. But yeah, the best thing that can happen for CBJ this year is some health!
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 12:07 p.m.
Quoting: dopplsan
Interesting idea for JGP, though I just don’t think he’ll be able to handle the top line, or worse - bring it down. Also, I have to imagine CBJ are on his no trade.

I do like the Grizz trade, though. It would sure as hell make for an improved blue line, even if that is a hell of an expensive third pair.

I like Jiricek getting as much time as needed in the AHL.

My issue is, Boqvist is an offensive-D. He needs T4 minutes, and to play with Fs higher in the lineup. With Jiricek and Severson in front of him, he’s not getting that. If anything, he’s redundant after Severson.

Yeah JGP being that high in the lineup may not work too well, but I also wouldn't expect him to be there too long. I think Fantilli will acclimate very fast and be on the top line by January. Then you have JGP battling/mentoring Sillinger in the 2C/3C spots. I just think this team desperately needs to improve in the faceoff circle, but there's other trade/FA options that could fit the role too.

I also hated getting rid of Boqvist, but you're right. He will not be as effective as he could be if he's stuck on the 3rd pair.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
Quoting: benjgc
IDK who came up with this Roslovic/Grzelcyk framework, but it's awful for Columbus. With the retention on Roslovic, Columbus would be paying Grizz essentially $6M this year. You've got a defensive starting lineup that costs $33M all by itself, not counting Bean, and manages to keep Jiricek in Cleveland (and it's not clear that would be necessary, so why force the issue?). I'm fine trading Roslovic, Peeke, Bean, or even Boqvist for the right return, but yet another high-priced defenseman doesn't fit the bill here.

CBJ used 14 defenseman last year, so I wouldn't get rid of anyone until you have to or it really makes sense. If Jiricek forces his way into the lineup, then great! You'll just have to make a corresponding move down the line.

I also just think the LD needs balanced out still. Yeah that D-core is super expensive, but it's just for one year and then you let Grizz walk, just like we'd probably let Roslovic walk if he made it through the whole season with us. It's the same idea as getting Severson, but for the lefties! Use Provorov/Grizz to protect Svozil/Mateychuk from being forced into the lineup before they're ready.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyGuy39
CBJ used 14 defenseman last year, so I wouldn't get rid of anyone until you have to or it really makes sense. If Jiricek forces his way into the lineup, then great! You'll just have to make a corresponding move down the line.

I also just think the LD needs balanced out still. Yeah that D-core is super expensive, but it's just for one year and then you let Grizz walk, just like we'd probably let Roslovic walk if he made it through the whole season with us. It's the same idea as getting Severson, but for the lefties! Use Provorov/Grizz to protect Svozil/Mateychuk from being forced into the lineup before they're ready.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't address the larger needs this franchise has (more center depth, better goalie prospects/depth). We have young, talented D in Bean, Boqvist, Peeke, and Blankenburg before we even get to Svozil/Mateychuk/Jiricek. Let's see if the kids can benefit from being on a team with established, experienced defenders and learning from them before we expend major assets for MORE veterans.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
That's all well and good, but it doesn't address the larger needs this franchise has (more center depth, better goalie prospects/depth). We have young, talented D in Bean, Boqvist, Peeke, and Blankenburg before we even get to Svozil/Mateychuk/Jiricek. Let's see if the kids can benefit from being on a team with established, experienced defenders and learning from them before we expend major assets for MORE veterans.

These trades don't make the center depth any worse though, you're essentially flipping Roslovic into JGP. You're not going to be able to add a center without spending some useful pieces.

And that's not what I was trying to do anyway. My goal was find a cheaper stop-gap 1C since we know Fantilli will likely be in Columbus this year and we need an upgrade over Roslovic and even out the defenseman for next year. None of these moves prevent anyone from earning a role and provide depth/options for certain roles. If Jiricek/Bean/Svozil show they're ready to be in the big show full time, awesome! now you can trade someone for goalie depth/prospects or whatever you want. If they're not ready, that's fine too. Throw Bean/Peeke in the lineup and see if they continue to grow. It's all about competition and continuing to allow young guys to grow, but also turning the team around to at least win a few more games next year. Personally, Bean/Blankenburg are not full time NHL players, but this gives them the opportunity to prove me wrong and protects the team if they don't pan out this year.

Also, I wouldn't call Jack Roslovic a Major asset.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
These trades don't make the center depth any worse though, you're essentially flipping Roslovic into JGP. You're not going to be able to add a center without spending some useful pieces.

And that's not what I was trying to do anyway. My goal was find a cheaper stop-gap 1C since we know Fantilli will likely be in Columbus this year and we need an upgrade over Roslovic and even out the defenseman for next year. None of these moves prevent anyone from earning a role and provide depth/options for certain roles. If Jiricek/Bean/Svozil show they're ready to be in the big show full time, awesome! now you can trade someone for goalie depth/prospects or whatever you want. If they're not ready, that's fine too. Throw Bean/Peeke in the lineup and see if they continue to grow. It's all about competition and continuing to allow young guys to grow, but also turning the team around to at least win a few more games next year. Personally, Bean/Blankenburg are not full time NHL players, but this gives them the opportunity to prove me wrong and protects the team if they don't pan out this year.

Also, I wouldn't call Jack Roslovic a Major asset.

The "major" adjective should've been "significant", but I was honestly more concerned with surrendering Boqvist. I think he's got a lot of untapped upside, and Pageau might be obtainable through some other combination of pieces.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
The "major" adjective should've been "significant", but I was honestly more concerned with surrendering Boqvist. I think he's got a lot of untapped upside, and Pageau might be obtainable through some other combination of pieces.

I totally agree, trading Boqvist would have to get you a good return because he is a good player. On the flip side of that though, he is the type of defenseman that needs minutes to really be all he can be. If the future of the top 4 is Werenski-Jiricek Provorov-Severson, there might not be enough minutes to go around. That's the only reason I can see him being the odd man out. Peeke may not be a better overall player than him, but who is going to thrive more in that bottom pair role? Who knows, it will be interesting to watch this unfold over the next year or two.

These are good problems to have though. Maybe you don't need Grzelcyk and Bean holds the spot down. I just think both the team and prospect defenseman are a little right-handed heavy, so sending out a RHD and bringing in a LHD might make sense. Either way it's exciting to have this much talent in the system right now so we'll see how they use it all.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
I totally agree, trading Boqvist would have to get you a good return because he is a good player. On the flip side of that though, he is the type of defenseman that needs minutes to really be all he can be. If the future of the top 4 is Werenski-Jiricek Provorov-Severson, there might not be enough minutes to go around. That's the only reason I can see him being the odd man out. Peeke may not be a better overall player than him, but who is going to thrive more in that bottom pair role? Who knows, it will be interesting to watch this unfold over the next year or two.

These are good problems to have though. Maybe you don't need Grzelcyk and Bean holds the spot down. I just think both the team and prospect defenseman are a little right-handed heavy, so sending out a RHD and bringing in a LHD might make sense. Either way it's exciting to have this much talent in the system right now so we'll see how they use it all.

I think you keep Boqvist as the eventual 3RD with PP2 QB responsibilities (parking Gud either on 3LD or in the press box where he belongs) when Jiricek is ready to come up. Until then, though, I'd rather have him around than Peeke. But the Pageau trade bothers me less than the Grzelcyk deal... I'd honestly rather just get picks or prospects for Roslovic, or have him replace Bemstrom in the Pageau trade.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 4:20 p.m.
I think you keep Boqvist as the eventual 3RD with PP2 QB responsibilities (parking Gud either on 3LD or in the press box where he belongs) when Jiricek is ready to come up. Until then, though, I'd rather have him around than Peeke. But the Pageau trade bothers me less than the Grzelcyk deal... I'd honestly rather just get picks or prospects for Roslovic, or have him replace Bemstrom in the Pageau trade.

Maybe that's what they do. I just think the trade market is really dead right now and you're probably not going to get what guys should be worth when you're just asking for picks. You might have more success with swaps like these so the money moving around is more even. Even at 50% retained, there's not a lot of teams that are going to want to take on that 2M for Rosy, at least not in the offseason. It's nuts but it just seems that's where we're at now until the cap starts going up again.

But knowing my luck, CBJ is just going to sign JT compher or someone tomorrow and make all this pointless lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll