SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Free Agency Thread

Jun. 27, 2017 at 9:33 a.m.
Quoting: DarylthePony
Just heard Dallas is going to buyout Niemi. Do you think he'll get a job as a backup. Personally, I think he's worth the risk of 1 year deal, but there are way better backup options, so I think he'll find himself in a European league for next season.

I think Niemi will at least get a PTO with maybe the Kings or Knights if not other teams who might be lacking a backup or want theirs to compete... Like a few years ago I think Kings gave a PTO to Garon who is a class guy that think somebody sold a mask he had stolen on E-Bay or some story. Figure Niemi has a cup with Chicago, he probably would only cost 1M, even if he don't make an NHL team he might head to AHL like Budaj did among others. Worked out well for him with Kings run last year, then getting to probably be backup in Tampa unless that Latvian Sensation passes him this year or next smile. His best years might be behind him though maybe he can still hack it as a backup on a team with some better defensive schemes smile.
Jun. 27, 2017 at 10:12 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: Daoloth
Just heard Dallas is going to buyout Niemi. Do you think he'll get a job as a backup. Personally, I think he's worth the risk of 1 year deal, but there are way better backup options, so I think he'll find himself in a European league for next season.

I think Niemi will at least get a PTO with maybe the Kings or Knights if not other teams who might be lacking a backup or want theirs to compete... Like a few years ago I think Kings gave a PTO to Garon who is a class guy that think somebody sold a mask he had stolen on E-Bay or some story. Figure Niemi has a cup with Chicago, he probably would only cost 1M, even if he don't make an NHL team he might head to AHL like Budaj did among others. Worked out well for him with Kings run last year, then getting to probably be backup in Tampa unless that Latvian Sensation passes him this year or next smile. His best years might be behind him though maybe he can still hack it as a backup on a team with some better defensive schemes smile.

Yea I can see him going to a team that wants goaltending depth.
Jun. 27, 2017 at 10:59 a.m.

I spent the last 20-30 minutes looking at his numbers... This is first season since his rookie one of 3 games he wasn't well over .500... His GAA of 3.30 is close to the 3.40 he had then. His first year in Dallas was pretty good with 25 Wins in 48 games, with a .905, yet he goes 12-12 so everybody wants to euthanize him smile. This is the first season he never had a shutout since the 3 game stint. He had a run of 7 Shut outs, then 6 twice, 4 twice, 5, then 3. In those years his save percentage was between .912 to .924, nearly winning 40 games, winning 31 to 39 games 4 times in that 7 year span. There probably at least 5-10 teams if really look things over who I think he can end up with. Dallas had a bad year, his contract was easier to buyout especially once they got Bishop signed. Even a team like the Ducks might be a good fit since Bernier was making like 4M+ so doubt they get him back.
Jun. 27, 2017 at 11:06 a.m.

I spent the last 20-30 minutes looking at his numbers... This is first season since his rookie one of 3 games he wasn't well over .500... His GAA of 3.30 is close to the 3.40 he had then. His first year in Dallas was pretty good with 25 Wins in 48 games, with a .905, yet he goes 12-12 so everybody wants to euthanize him smile. This is the first season he never had a shutout since the 3 game stint. He had a run of 7 Shut outs, then 6 twice, 4 twice, 5, then 3. In those years his save percentage was between .912 to .924, nearly winning 40 games, winning 31 to 39 games 4 times in that 7 year span. There probably at least 5-10 teams if really look things over who I think he can end up with. Dallas had a bad year, his contract was easier to buyout especially once they got Bishop signed. Even a team like the Ducks might be a good fit since Bernier was making like 4M+ so doubt they get him back.

Dallas also had no defense... Put him on a team that has a decent defense and he will win games. He did it in San Jose, he just couldn't win in the playoffs.

I can see BM signing Niemi to a 1 year 1 mil contract to see what he has. Also, with Gibby's injury history it wouldn't hurt us at all to have a decent back up so when he goes down we can sill compete.
Jun. 27, 2017 at 12:57 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: awatt

Dallas also had no defense... Put him on a team that has a decent defense and he will win games. He did it in San Jose, he just couldn't win in the playoffs.

I can see BM signing Niemi to a 1 year 1 mil contract to see what he has. Also, with Gibby's injury history it wouldn't hurt us at all to have a decent back up so when he goes down we can sill compete.

That is true, put Niemi on a team with good D and I think he can hit 905 to 910 save percentage.
Jun. 27, 2017 at 2:25 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Apparently LA is interested in Thornton. Do you guys think Thornton stays in SJS or goes elsewhere?
Jun. 27, 2017 at 6:05 p.m.

That is true, put Niemi on a team with good D and I think he can hit 905 to 910 save percentage.

Stop the shots he is supposed to and he can win an easy 15 games as a back up depending on how many he plays. If I'm Edmonton I go after a guy like him to give Talbot nights off.
Apparently LA is interested in Thornton. Do you guys think Thornton stays in SJS or goes elsewhere?

I would rather him go out East but if he does sign in LA, that could be a dangerous team to play against. Kopitar, Carter, and Thornton down the middle. Maybe move Carter on the wing with Kopitar or Thornton and he scores an easy 40 goals
Jun. 27, 2017 at 7:16 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

i'm surprised they're buying out Niemi over Lehtonen. I think Niemi might be a bit better and has a smaller contract.

Lehtonen is far better than Niemi.

let's just say that neither are starting goalies ... agreed?
nobody liked this.
Jun. 27, 2017 at 7:17 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

What's wrong with Dallas' D?
Jun. 27, 2017 at 7:34 p.m.

You must not watch highlights very often.... Basically a Junior team defense besides Klingberg. They have a little more help but they still won't be that great.
Jun. 27, 2017 at 8:53 p.m.
get ur corsi up

You must not watch highlights very often.... Basically a Junior team defense besides Klingberg. They have a little more help but they still won't be that great.

True. However, expect them to be much better next year. Klingberg and Methot should muster a solid line 1, expect, Johns and Lindell to improve, then we have Hamhuis, after that all Dallas has to do is sign a FA or trade for another D-man, and their good.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 12:22 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

hmmm ... are you saying Lindell is a junior level player?
Jun. 28, 2017 at 10:30 a.m.

True. However, expect them to be much better next year. Klingberg and Methot should muster a solid line 1, expect, Johns and Lindell to improve, then we have Hamhuis, after that all Dallas has to do is sign a FA or trade for another D-man, and their good.

IF that defense is better just the slightest, they could be a very dangerous team. They have scoring abilities and goaltending now. Only thing that might hurt you guys is if Bishop can stay healthy.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 11:59 a.m.
get ur corsi up

IF that defense is better just the slightest, they could be a very dangerous team. They have scoring abilities and goaltending now. Only thing that might hurt you guys is if Bishop can stay healthy.

I agree, all Dallas needs is one more depth defenseman, maybe a winger, and Bishop to be the Bishop he was a year ago.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 12:42 p.m.

Yeah Dallas only had like 2 D-men who even had + ratings, Klingberg a +2 w/ Esa a +8, Cracknell was one of their best + players with a 9 having 10 goals 3 coming from a hat trick. I think Kings had him but lost him on waivers to give an idea who expected that was smile. Looking at others on Dallas it makes me wonder if they are an expansion team Sharp -22, Spezza -18, Seguin -15, even Benn was a -9, those are supposed to be their best players smile?

I think Niemi is a better option for Ducks than the Ryan Miller rumors. Miller has had attitude problems in Buffalo, Vancouver especially when he didn't play the outdoor game there smile. HE would be more like showgirls pushing Gibson down the stairs instead of helping him improve as a goalie. Bernier checked out when they didn't start him after he won the game he went in down 3 goals against Flames. Guy already has a Ring with Kings, knew even if he got them in SCF they would bench him. Figure after 2013 when Quick struggled but they still didn't give him a chance he decided it was time to find another team.

Other teams in West I think Niemi would be a nice fit would be Vancouver, Calgary, Colorado, maybe even Nashville since Rinne could get hurt again. Jets seem linked to Mason or Elliot depending on rumor want to believe. Kings he would just have to beat out Zatkoff or Campbell which is doable, LA probably has better shot at Post Season with a Quick/Niemi duo. Vegas probably wants a guy on a 2 way contract, I've not looked at the East much. Though Penguins would be a real good option considering Murray never won 16 games to get the Cup so Niemi might get a shot to play. I don't think he will have to pull an Emery where he goes to KHL then comes back to NHL...

Flames would probably give him a nice save percentage having Hamonic, Hamilton, TJ, along with Giordano as the top 4 there compared to what Dallas had for him. Usually he is good for about 24 wins, probably better for Ducks than Miller who is 35+ who would want to start. Niemi seems better suited to be part of a duo than he would, though with Flames I think he might take over for Mike Smith via injury or performance.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 12:59 p.m.
You clearly don't follow Canucks hockey

I have zero clue what you're referring to as Miller's "outdoor game". The last time the Canucks had an outdoor game was in 2014, when Eddie Lack and Roberto Luongo were their goalies. Neither of which are with the team anymore. Miller didn't join the Canucks till that offseason.

And what attitude problems does he have may I ask? He's been a fantastic mentor to Markstorm as he continues to develop. He came every day to the rink, played his best and gave his team the only, and I mean only, chance to win. This despite the fact that his team was hopeless. His diving save on Zetterberg back in November proved that. He knew they were going to lose, yet gave it his best effort. I'd be disappointed to see Miller go to Anaheim as he's been nothing but fantastic for Markstorm and the Nucks. John Gibson would be the luckiest goalie in the NHL if he ends up with a great goalie and mentor behind his back in Miller
TonyStrecher and phillyjabroni liked this.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 1:09 p.m.
Quoting: DavidBooth7

I have zero clue what you're referring to as Miller's "outdoor game". The last time the Canucks had an outdoor game was in 2014, when Eddie Lack and Roberto Luongo were their goalies. Neither of which are with the team anymore. Miller didn't join the Canucks till that offseason.

And what attitude problems does he have may I ask? He's been a fantastic mentor to Markstorm as he continues to develop. He came every day to the rink, played his best and gave his team the only, and I mean only, chance to win. This despite the fact that his team was hopeless. His diving save on Zetterberg back in November proved that. He knew they were going to lose, yet gave it his best effort. I'd be disappointed to see Miller go to Anaheim as he's been nothing but fantastic for Markstorm and the Nucks. John Gibson would be the luckiest goalie in the NHL if he ends up with a great goalie and mentor behind his back in Miller

I'm with him.

What attitude problems does Miller have? If he had any it would be all over the media, especially in Vancouver. I've heard great things about Miller and he would love to come to SoCal to be with his wife. I honestly think he goes to LA or ANA if he is given a contract, helps him be closer to his wife and has a chance of making the playoffs and going for a Stanley cup run.
nobody and phillyjabroni liked this.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 6:04 p.m.
Quoting: DavidBooth7

Frankly I had a pretty bad concussion/brain damage to the point I'm still having problems linking things together like names, faces, dates, adding, counting, remembering etc. I could confuse goalies on any team or probably players like I do actors. Like somebody had an avatar on here who I first thought was Private Pile from some movie FMJ, then wasn't sure if maybe it was John Candy from Stripes or even sure of the movie itself 100%. Memory before a certain year is shakier to like recall things etc. So I probably confused him with Luongo from how upset he was about not playing in that outdoor game or other things related to him being in Vancouver.

I don't think the Canucks are relevant, not been able to follow as much hockey the last few years from spinal issues along with dog problems... I had to let one out every 2 hours for about 13 months from issues he was having then another one just had surgery. They claim I have something called PTSD so even if I do sleep its filled with nightmares, have lots of flashbacks. I have trouble attacking faces to names, even family members or people know for years or friends. I'll have to focus on something like their hair, if they are bald, if the have a tattoo or something along those lines. One kid from HS who does some acting saw me at a rally though I couldn't remember who he was even though had helped him when he was having issues in HS.

I'm not a fan of Vancouver, I used to pay more attention to them when did keeper fantasy leagues... I liked Daniel Seden who I had on my team, Bieksa, there were a few other players. I used to think they had a really good defense, thought their coach who went to RAngers was better than hiring Tortz or some other moves. Maybe the teams around 2012 way they were built would have done better around 2017. I'm not a Masochist, so could never be a Canucks fan. I did root for them to beat the Rangers though they choked so always hated them. When I was a kid I used to think they were like the NHL answer to the team the Globetrotter's used to beat up on since the Islanders crushed them in those ugly yellow uniforms, Rangers, even Bruins haha smile. I never forgave them for losing to the Rangers to have to deal with all those kids in school... Used to love chanting 1940 things like that. I like Kings, Sharks, Knights as for the Pacific teams, I might hate teams but can be rational about them.

I think for a guy with 3.5K posts should try to make people feel more welcome on here instead of trolling them. Like did in the Islanders forum, or the team who swept you in the finals 4-0 like scrubs wink. Now I guess the tactic will be to try to attack me on every post that can. I could easily get to 5K posts if were writing the 1 or 2 liners that you did in a day smile. I'd rather have civil interactions than be some sorta enemies or whatever... I do think I made a mistake joining the forums though as I'm not doing that well from concussion/neck fusion surgery so I should just end things. I know I wouldn't be welcome to join the GM game or anything like that as are part of that on here. Seeing that people like things that are negative towards me makes it clear I'm not wanted or welcome here. If I'm not even at 100 posts already having people go out of way to insult me or make accusations. If I were to get 5K posts I would be trying to create activity, get people involved, promote the forum as I did the site to make it the main used cap one. I don't like Ryan Miller, maybe that goes back to fantasy hockey or things related to Buffalo or the national team. People are free to like him, people like Booth or other players that I don't like smile. Its hard to understand if never had a serious head injury how hard it is to function or recover from them or organize things along with link them together. I'm going to mess up at times even if I'm trying not to cross up players or teams even years. You are a big reason why I've been a lot less active on here, so least when I quit that will be like your Stanley Cup being a Canucks fan I Guess smile. I'm just glad they are around to keep Kings from finishing in last place if nothing else smile.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 7:52 p.m.
David Booth has done no trolling in this thread, at least to my knowledge on page 2.

"You clearly don't follow Canucks hockey?" This in no way is trolling. You claimed something that David Booth said never happened, (Miller playing) and then you take defense by saying you have concussion issue (which is a very serious thing)

To my knowledge, DB had not even had prior knowledge that you had concussions, so him saying what he is said is warranted.

I would expect the same to be done to me if I said that Jake Voracek is the captain of the Philadelphia Flyers and provided no prior notification that I have concussions and may be misremembering.

Finally, you take the high road to start and then you took an off ramp and ended below what you claimed DB to be on. "At least they keep the LAK from finishing in last place"

Either take the high road or not, don't jump ships
nobody liked this.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 8:24 p.m.
Also, not that I am certified to say this or whatever, but if you have serious concussion issues that have lingering issues that make you forget players, names, etc. you shouldn't be looking at a screen.

That's just me, but I have never had a concussion, but my friend has had over 6 and I've heard what to do and what not to do
nobody and Daryl liked this.
Jun. 28, 2017 at 10:22 p.m.
Banned
Red Wings Should Bring In
Jagr
VaneK
Chara
Cullen
Williams
Marleau and Thornton
Jun. 28, 2017 at 11:15 p.m.
Habs fan French
Quoting: jasongura25
Jagr
VaneK
Chara
Cullen
Williams
Marleau and Thornton

chara is not a ufa
Jun. 28, 2017 at 11:28 p.m.
Quoting: jasongura25
Jagr
VaneK
Chara
Cullen
Williams
Marleau and Thornton

so spend money that they don't have on players that cannot help them to a cup?
nobody liked this.
Jun. 29, 2017 at 9:19 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Apparently Chris Neil is drawing interest from the market. Maybe he won't retire, and sign a 1 year deal.
Jun. 29, 2017 at 12:53 p.m.
get ur corsi up
You can add /Benoit Pouliot to the list of UFA's he was just bought out.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll