Created by: justaBoss
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 11, 2023
Published: Jul. 11, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
3-way trade between PIT, SJ and DET

PIT gets: D Erik Karlsson (25% salary retained by SJ), D Jacob MacDonald

SJ gets: F Mikael Granlund, D Olli Määttä, D Ty Smith, F Filip Hållander, 2024 1st (PIT)

DET gets: D Jeff Petry (15% salary retained by PIT)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$812,500
1$775,000
Trades
DET
  1. Petry, Jeff ($937,500 retained)
PIT
  1. Karlsson, Erik ($2,875,000 retained)
  2. MacDonald, Jacob
SJS
  1. Granlund, Mikael
  2. Hållander, Filip [RFA Rights]
  3. Määttä, Olli
  4. Smith, Ty [RFA Rights]
  5. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
    Claimed off waivers by various teams
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,500,000$80,430,175$0$0$3,069,825
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,100,000$6,100,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $863,333$863,333
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $3,125,000$3,125,000
    RW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,450,000$2,450,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $7,125,000$7,125,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $5,375,000$5,375,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,100,000$6,100,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $825,000$825,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $762,500$762,500
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 11, 2023 at 10:31 p.m.
    Detroit wishes the other two teams well as they leave the call.
    aedoran liked this.
    Jul. 11, 2023 at 10:35 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: CoachCoach
    Detroit wishes the other two teams well as they leave the call.

Would follow Yzerman's course on adding mid D-men that he's been doing past two years.

Joking aside...

Walman / Seider
    Ghost / Petry
    Chiarot / Holl
    Lindström

...could work imo. At the very least there's certain element of depth in that D.
    Play_Party_Hard liked this.
    Jul. 11, 2023 at 11:00 p.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Quoting: justaBoss
    Would follow Yzerman's course on adding mid D-men that he's been doing past two years.

Joking aside...

Walman / Seider
    Ghost / Petry
    Chiarot / Holl
    Lindström

...could work imo. At the very least there's certain element of depth in that D.

Yzerman is a master God. That's why Vrana, Chiarot, and Holl are such brilliant moves.
    Jul. 11, 2023 at 11:20 p.m.

Joking aside...

Walman / Seider
    Ghost / Petry
    Chiarot / Holl
    Lindström

Trades vs FA which holds to how he operates. Personally I think he is just fine overpaying FA stop gaps while not worrying about the cap ceiling. Ultimately he has the future defensive unit in Detroit.

His press conferences show he is wanting the kids to beat out vets for jobs. With them on ELCs, doesn’t really matter at the current juncture. When Chiarot is gone, Edvinsson will need his raise. When Holl is gone, Wallinder needs his.

Petry would have been a better fit for Detroit than Holl in my opinion, couple million more with one year less… but either way it doesn’t hurt long term.
    justaBoss liked this.
    Jul. 11, 2023 at 11:22 p.m.
    Quoting: jfkst1
    Yzerman is a master God. That's why Vrana, Chiarot, and Holl are such brilliant moves.

You seem angry sir. Why not just enjoy the old rivalry and not feel the need to take pop shots.
    aedoran liked this.
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 1:03 a.m.
    Banned
    bark bark
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 1:32 a.m.
    Quoting: CoachCoach
    You seem angry sir. Why not just enjoy the old rivalry and not feel the need to take pop shots.

Go easy on him, he's probably come to the realization that Petry will be in Pittsburgh for 2 more seasons because NOBODY wants him.
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 6:27 a.m.
    Joe

Care to mention we also received Buchelnikov and Cossa from the Vrana trade?
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 8:54 a.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
    Care to mention we also received Buchelnikov and Cossa from the Vrana trade?

And the best piece from that trade was squandered to St. Louis for scraps at 50% retention.
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 9:09 a.m.
    Joe
    And the best piece from that trade was squandered to St. Louis for scraps at 50% retention.

Vrana played a whole 42 games for Detroit. Injury bug mixed with the PA issues; it sucks to see him go, but it certainly was for the better.
    But, rather have Cossa and Buchelnikov than a player that scarcely played due to complications.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 8:51 p.m.
    The problem with this is Maatta. He's not getting moved for Petry. You want to 1 for 1 someone for Petry, it's Chiarot. I wouldn't even consider Petry an upgrade to justify the swap with Maatta. That said Pens would need to add a couple seconds to the deal to make it worth while for Detroit. So that would basically cancel out your trade but saying for some messed up reason it went through. Maybe that would be enough for them to trade Karlsson. Not really sure.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 9:09 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: Lancebmx
    The problem with this is Maatta. He's not getting moved for Petry. You want to 1 for 1 someone for Petry, it's Chiarot. I wouldn't even consider Petry an upgrade to justify the swap with Maatta. That said Pens would need to add a couple seconds to the deal to make it worth while for Detroit. So that would basically cancel out your trade but saying for some messed up reason it went through. Maybe that would be enough for them to trade Karlsson. Not really sure.

You'd think if Chiarot wants to compete for a cup, San Jose would probably be the last option to waive his NTC for.

That being said, Petry as an individual player is in my opinion an upgrade over Määttä, and a strong upgrade over Chiarot. Contract length is same between Petry and Määttä, and with the retention their difference is only $2M. I don't agree with your valuation of PIT having to add two seconds here to make it worthwhile for Detroit, they're literally adding a better player here that's a much better fit for a 2RD role than any other player in Detroit rn, including Määttä.

Could see PIT come down to offering like O'Connor+3rd at most to make this happen, but if DET insists on getting more, PIT would be looking for a more suitable team to swap Petry's contract with.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 9:32 p.m.
    You'd think if Chiarot wants to compete for a cup, San Jose would probably be the last option to waive his NTC for.

That being said, Petry as an individual player is in my opinion an upgrade over Määttä, and a strong upgrade over Chiarot. Contract length is same between Petry and Määttä, and with the retention their difference is only $2M. I don't agree with your valuation of PIT having to add two seconds here to make it worthwhile for Detroit, they're literally adding a better player here that's a much better fit for a 2RD role than any other player in Detroit rn, including Määttä.

Could see PIT come down to offering like O'Connor+3rd at most to make this happen, but if DET insists on getting more, PIT would be looking for a more suitable team to swap Petry's contract with.

Ok I'll split the middle and say Petry is a slight upgrade, better suited for 2RD . R have Holl for that hole. See what I did there. Anyways for us to have the desire to help a rival team with their cap, there would have to be significant payment. We will argue at least a second. Look at it this way, Petry is absolutely immovable after coming to Detroit. They will make sure that any team that might have the slightest desire to acquire him is on his no trade list. Not to mention if we wanted to move him were have to use a retention slot. Now Maatta, who is a nice steady bottom 4 guy, would be alot easier to move and gain assets with. Reasonable cap hit so no retention needed. No trade protection so he can go anywhere.
    You say if Detroit were to ask for more they would look for a more suitable team? The problem with his contract is there isn't a suitable team and if there is one he easily has them on his no trade list. His contract is basically immovable. Only two I see plausible is Chicago and why would they when they have 3 RHD as it is? They also charge a hefty fee.
    Jul. 14, 2023 at 10:04 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Ok I'll split the middle and say Petry is a slight upgrade, better suited for 2RD . R have Holl for that hole. See what I did there. Anyways for us to have the desire to help a rival team with their cap, there would have to be significant payment. We will argue at least a second. Look at it this way, Petry is absolutely immovable after coming to Detroit. They will make sure that any team that might have the slightest desire to acquire him is on his no trade list. Not to mention if we wanted to move him were have to use a retention slot. Now Maatta, who is a nice steady bottom 4 guy, would be alot easier to move and gain assets with. Reasonable cap hit so no retention needed. No trade protection so he can go anywhere.
    You say if Detroit were to ask for more they would look for a more suitable team? The problem with his contract is there isn't a suitable team and if there is one he easily has them on his no trade list. His contract is basically immovable. Only two I see plausible is Chicago and why would they when they have 3 RHD as it is? They also charge a hefty fee.

Rival team is a bit of a stretch, PIT and DET aren't even in the same division, and DET is also getting upgrades here.

Any of the 16 teams not included in Petry's 15-team no trade list is a potentially suitable team to move Petry to. Also, Pittsburgh is partly retaining his salary here to boot. At two years, $5M I would not call it a huge stretch to assume there might be a market for him, as long as PIT (or in this case, SJ, also eats some cap). I get your concerns about potentially lost value in Määttä's case in the hypothetical scenario where DET ends up trading him for futures, but wouldn't you agree Detroit is already past that point? At this point what they need is to strengthen their core and aim for the playoffs, not to plan for the future. All moves they've made this offseason is towards that goal, including the signing of Määttä. I think moving him for a better veteran D is somewhat decent asset management.

If it all proves impossible, there's also an alternative route, albeit it's a harder one - that is to make this work without the third team and make the trade without including Petry. Karlsson-Letang-Petry is a fairly solid right side.

Btw sorry for double quoting again, my phone is very, very laggy.
    Jul. 15, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.
    Rival team is a bit of a stretch, PIT and DET aren't even in the same division, and DET is also getting upgrades here.

Any of the 16 teams not included in Petry's 15-team no trade list is a potentially suitable team to move Petry to. Also, Pittsburgh is partly retaining his salary here to boot. At two years, $5M I would not call it a huge stretch to assume there might be a market for him, as long as PIT (or in this case, SJ, also eats some cap). I get your concerns about potentially lost value in Määttä's case in the hypothetical scenario where DET ends up trading him for futures, but wouldn't you agree Detroit is already past that point? At this point what they need is to strengthen their core and aim for the playoffs, not to plan for the future. All moves they've made this offseason is towards that goal, including the signing of Määttä. I think moving him for a better veteran D is somewhat decent asset management.

If it all proves impossible, there's also an alternative route, albeit it's a harder one - that is to make this work without the third team and make the trade without including Petry. Karlsson-Letang-Petry is a fairly solid right side.

Btw sorry for double quoting again, my phone is very, very laggy.

16 teams would be hard. Have to remember there has to be a desire, cap space which is we eat half of that isn't that bad and be in his list of acceptable destinations. Either way I don't think we really want Petry unless it's really worth while for us.
    On Detroit blue planning for the future, you read the moves this offseason the exact opposite. All these moves are just planning for the future. All those players are stop gaps until players drafted are ready for those rolls and then the ones with longer term like Copp and Compher will be there to help support them. This team definitely got better this offseason and playoffs aren't out of the question. I wouldn't say they are pushing for the playoffs but wouldn't be disappointed with them. One thing Yzerman said after the deadline last season that at no time were we ever going to be buyers this year. Didn't matter if we were in a playoff spot or not. I believe that Yzerman plans too build this team through the draft and that seems to be what he is doing. I expect playoffs in 1-2 years and start a window of contention in 2-4 years. So on your comment about trading Maatta for futures, we either gain more prospects or else we gain even more draft capital to buy with. That's actually why I chose later picks going to Detroit in my AGM.
    Jul. 15, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    16 teams would be hard. Have to remember there has to be a desire, cap space which is we eat half of that isn't that bad and be in his list of acceptable destinations. Either way I don't think we really want Petry unless it's really worth while for us.
    On Detroit blue planning for the future, you read the moves this offseason the exact opposite. All these moves are just planning for the future. All those players are stop gaps until players drafted are ready for those rolls and then the ones with longer term like Copp and Compher will be there to help support them. This team definitely got better this offseason and playoffs aren't out of the question. I wouldn't say they are pushing for the playoffs but wouldn't be disappointed with them. One thing Yzerman said after the deadline last season that at no time were we ever going to be buyers this year. Didn't matter if we were in a playoff spot or not. I believe that Yzerman plans too build this team through the draft and that seems to be what he is doing. I expect playoffs in 1-2 years and start a window of contention in 2-4 years. So on your comment about trading Maatta for futures, we either gain more prospects or else we gain even more draft capital to buy with. That's actually why I chose later picks going to Detroit in my AGM.

Yea there definitely won't be 16 interested teams, there's just 16 teams that Petry would have to accept being traded to.

While I agree with the sentiment that buying guys like Chiarot and Holl are definitely stopgaps for guys like Edvinsson, it sounds rather weird they'd overpay on crap players simply to...not do well? (although that's exactly what they do lol). Galaxy brain tactics for sure, if the plan is to build through the draft, while giving others the view of them trying to improve, but choose guys that actually don't improve the team itself at all.

Back to the fundamental issue at hand from your own post (not this one) in my view, the concept of DET

a) getting better player, and
    b) gaining future assets, while
    c) dumping a dogsh*t player

for the simple act of retaining a total of $8M worth of salary in four years time, and being a desired location for a vet 2nd pair guy, sounds just way too good. At the very least the player they move away should be someone that's desirable from other teams' POV (Määttä for example).

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll