Forums/Armchair-GM

Post Arbitration

Created by: CameronSquires
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 23, 2023
Published: Jul. 23, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Still pretty tight with 256k remaining and 20 man roster. This is the most I could do without making bigger moves or putting Murray on LTIR
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$825,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2024 6th round pick (CBJ)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$83,231,450$0$0$268,550

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 23, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
You will 100% lose Timmins or whoever else you try to send down on defense. You just can't do a 20 man roster unless you wanna lose people for nothing, gotta be 21.

It'll be Jarnkrok or Liligren for minor moves, or Brodie/Nylander/Marner for major moves.
CameronSquires liked this.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 3:45 p.m.
Sadness
Quoting: mvp13
You will 100% lose Timmins or whoever else you try to send down on defense. You just can't do a 20 man roster unless you wanna lose people for nothing, gotta be 21.

I know, that’s why I hate the idea of a 20 man roster
mvp13 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 4:09 p.m.

It'll be Jarnkrok or Liligren for minor moves, or Brodie/Nylander/Marner for major moves.

If this was the case, why be so against a 20 man roster? Is carrying an extra couple skaters for the regular season really worth it if it means losing significant players? I personally don't think so. Losing a player like Brodie for nothing because we need a guy like Zach Bogosion to play in case a player has a short-term injury, would be incredibly detrimental to the team. We'd lose more games, and we'd certainly be worse come playoff time.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
Quoting: WN88
If this was the case, why be so against a 20 man roster? Is carrying an extra couple skaters for the regular season really worth it if it means losing significant players? I personally don't think so. Losing a player like Brodie for nothing because we need a guy like Zach Bogosion to play in case a player has a short-term injury, would be incredibly detrimental to the team. We'd lose more games, and we'd certainly be worse come playoff time.

Because you're going to lose whoever you send down to the minors for free (in the case of this arm chair team, Timmins, and even the Lafferty trade is pretty poor for them), whereas you can absolutely expect to get NHL replacements for the guys listed in trades

In addition, if there are injuries, etc, you really screw yourself running a 20 man roster. Remember how NYR was running a 19 or 18 man roster last year because of injuries/trying to accrue extra cap for Kane? You can't expect your roster to do this for long periods of time. It was only 3 or 4 games NYR did it, but they were so bad during this time
Jul. 23, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
Sens do the Lafferty trade
Jul. 23, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Sending Lafferty to the Marlies and signing some league minimum replacement(s) would save a few hundred thousand wouldn't it, you may lose him on waivers but there's still some okay players that are likely going to have to take league minimum if they want a job/contract, Idk but just an idea.

Where's Conor Timmins?

Edit: I'm guessing Timmins is sent to the Marlies here, thought he made a bit more then he did so would show as 'buried.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 4:58 p.m.
Because you're going to lose whoever you send down to the minors for free (in the case of this arm chair team, Timmins, and even the Lafferty trade is pretty poor for them), whereas you can absolutely expect to get NHL replacements for the guys listed in trades

In addition, if there are injuries, etc, you really screw yourself running a 20 man roster. Remember how NYR was running a 19 or 18 man roster last year because of injuries/trying to accrue extra cap for Kane? You can't expect your roster to do this for long periods of time. It was only 3 or 4 games NYR did it, but they were so bad during this time

I understand what you're saying. Losing guys for free wouldn't be ideal, but it would be more ideal than having to downgrade from some of your best players in the organization. Jarnkrok is honestly the only one I can see realistically being traded. Lilly makes 0 sense. And in regards to the 'major moves', if your intention is to replace those players because you don't want to lose Lafferty/Timmins for free, then I don't know what else to say. Lafferty and Timmins would each go for a 4th round pick if they were moved. So you're pretty much losing them for free anyways. I'm having a hard time seeing what you're point is or how those moves would make this team better.

If we had to run a 18/19 man roster, it would never be for a long period of time because if that was the case, we would have LTIR money. Otherwise, I'd much rather play a few regular season games short than trade a player like Brodie. That might sound stupid, but I truly believe that over the entire 82 game-season, we would still end up with the same wins (at worst), than if we decided to trade that impact player for a lesser version, and have a healthy scratch replace an injured player for a few games.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
I understand what you're saying. Losing guys for free wouldn't be ideal, but it would be more ideal than having to downgrade from some of your best players in the organization. Jarnkrok is honestly the only one I can see realistically being traded. Lilly makes 0 sense. And in regards to the 'major moves', if your intention is to replace those players because you don't want to lose Lafferty/Timmins for free, then I don't know what else to say. Lafferty and Timmins would each go for a 4th round pick if they were moved. So you're pretty much losing them for free anyways. I'm having a hard time seeing what you're point is or how those moves would make this team better.

If we had to run a 18/19 man roster, it would never be for a long period of time because if that was the case, we would have LTIR money. Otherwise, I'd much rather play a few regular season games short than trade a player like Brodie. That might sound stupid, but I truly believe that over the entire 82 game-season, we would still end up with the same wins (at worst), than if we decided to trade that impact player for a lesser version, and have a healthy scratch replace an injured player for a few games.

It's not just about losing Lafferty or Timmins for free, but also about running a proper NHL roster. I think the fact that you never see a team run a 20 man roster for long periods of time would reflect how necessary it is to have a proper roster
Jul. 23, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.

It's not just about losing Lafferty or Timmins for free, but also about running a proper NHL roster. I think the fact that you never see a team run a 20 man roster for long periods of time would reflect how necessary it is to have a proper roster

There's also a good chance that someone like Lafferty or Timmins doesn't get claimed if they're sent down early in the season when everyone is finalizing a roster, or even mid-season when rosters are still in flux. Every year, there's players that get sent through waivers that fans are sure will get claimed, and they pass through. Even then, at least attempting that is better than losing them for, what, a 6th? There's no guarantee they get claimed, and chances are probably better that they pass through than you'd expect. The sky has not yet fallen!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll