Forums/Armchair-GM

Solving problems for both teams

Created by: Erbas1915
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 27, 2023
Published: Jul. 31, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No one comes extended, those trades rarely happen. Both get under the cap without doing the insanity of running a 20 man roster

Leafs upgrade D and Backlund would be an ideal 3C for them. I'm confident Backlund and Zadorov would both want to extend in Toronto. Hanifin I have no idea, but Tre would get a year to talk him into it

Gives Conroy until the deadline to sign Nylander/Lindholm, if not then full the tear down can begin and everything gets sold
Trades
CGY
  1. 2024 4th round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
this could be any team, just to clear a spot for Wolf
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$80,110,699$0$15,000$3,389,301
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$813,333$813,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
G
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 31, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
Not a Calgary fan, but I would say Calgary's return looks far to lite
Jul. 31, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
This is my dream trade scenario. shores up the D and the 3C,
Jul. 31, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
Do you think Nylander or Brodie would sign another contract in Calgary? I don't. Calgary should be trading for players with term on their contracts not one and done.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 3:45 p.m.
Quoting: Dickie_Dunn
Not a Calgary fan, but I would say Calgary's return looks far to lite

I thought that too. I thought about replacing Robertson with Lijlegren, but that would probably trigger a few usual suspect Leafs fan lol
Jul. 31, 2023 at 3:47 p.m.
Quoting: OldManRutherford
Do you think Nylander or Brodie would sign another contract in Calgary? I don't. Calgary should be trading for players with term on their contracts not one and done.

In the description I laid out my plan. I think this would be a solid playoff team and I'd try to use Nylander to entice Lindholm to extend. If they haven't signed 2 weeks before the deadline, then I start selling every UFA regardless of the standings. And i'd ideally re-sign whichever of Brodie or Tanev plays better next year
Jul. 31, 2023 at 3:52 p.m.
Quoting: Erbas1915
In the description I laid out my plan. I think this would be a solid playoff team and I'd try to use Nylander to entice Lindholm to extend. If they haven't signed 2 weeks before the deadline, then I start selling every UFA regardless of the standings. And i'd ideally re-sign whichever of Brodie or Tanev plays better next year

I don't think Brodie or Tanev would consider signing another contract in Calgary TBH. I think Tanev has seen enough of that organization and will move on maybe to NJ or somewhere.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.
I don't think Brodie or Tanev would consider signing another contract in Calgary TBH. I think Tanev has seen enough of that organization and will move on maybe to NJ or somewhere.

Is that just a guess or do you have insight into the decision making of those guys?
Jul. 31, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
any shot of getting Tanev instead of Zadorov? Just don't see the fit of adding two lefties
Jul. 31, 2023 at 4:20 p.m.
Edited Jul. 31, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
This trade seems off to me for the Leafs side. The goal is to shore up the defence but you're removing their best shutdown dman and adding 2LD to an already crowded left side.

I know Zadorov has experience playing on the Right (and Brodie is LH) himself but there really is no sense in including Brodie in the deal (or Zadorov; CGY should look to re-sign him with Weegar being the only D under contr) unless Tanev is coming back the other way.

The swap of Nylander for Hanifin is the part of the trade where the Leafs are giving up offense for defense, and are also becoming cap compliant.
Finally, Backlund would be a great 3C but considering he's 34 and on an expiring deal just like Hanifin and Tanev/Zadorov, he should be excluded unless he's added as a throw in (Conroy probably wouldn't want to if he's retaining especially without any certainty on Nylander). The Leafs are probably better off with keeping Robertson considering the hole that Nylander will leave in the top 6. Robertson might not get the opportunity that he needs in Toronto though, so perhaps a prospect swap would work but I don't see why CGY would need him other than for protection against being left with nothing.

So, something like Hanifin+Tanev+ X (could be a pick or Vladar or something else) for Nylander+Brodie (+Robertson) seems to make more sense to me. Maybe Treliving would do 2 for 2 straight up if he's allowed to discuss the possibility of an extension with Hanifin prior.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

?????? Besides the two Leafs that are one done, the three Flames are all upcoming UFAs;.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Seems like a pretty fair trade for both teams all around.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 4:57 p.m.
Edited Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:22 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
This trade seems off to me for the Leafs side. The goal is to shore up the defence but you're removing their best shutdown dman and adding 2LD to an already crowded left side.

I know Zadorov has experience playing on the Right (and Brodie is LH) himself but there really is no sense in including Brodie in the deal (or Zadorov; CGY should look to re-sign him with Weegar being the only D under contr) unless Tanev is coming back the other way.

The swap of Nylander for Hanifin is the part of the trade where the Leafs are giving up offense for defense, and are also becoming cap compliant.
Finally, Backlund would be a great 3C but considering he's 34 and on an expiring deal just like Hanifin and Tanev/Zadorov, he should be excluded unless he's added as a throw in (Conroy probably wouldn't want to if he's retaining especially without any certainty on Nylander). The Leafs are probably better off with keeping Robertson considering the hole that Nylander will leave in the top 6. Robertson might not get the opportunity that he needs in Toronto though, so perhaps a prospect swap would work but I don't see why CGY would need him other than for protection against being left with nothing.

So, something like Hanifin+Tanev+ X (could be a pick or Vladar or something else) for Nylander+Brodie (+Robertson) seems to make more sense to me. Maybe Treliving would do 2 for 2 straight up if he's allowed to discuss the possibility of an extension with Hanifin prior.

Tanev for Brodie seems kind of redundant, no? When healthy Tanev is a bit better, but it's pretty close and they play the same position. I disagree about Backlund, he's a perfect fit for the Leafs roster right now and if you can extend him for 2-3 years at a reasonable price you're getting a great player for a cup push the next few years

If you don't want to trade Robertson, I'd also be willing take back Lijlegren instead although I suspect that may throw the balance of the trade off
Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:20 p.m.
Rip
Hanifin wants to play in the US so he won't go to TO and besides that and the fact that Willy will never sign in Calgary, this is a horrible return for TO. Zadarov is a guy I would want for our 3rd pair but downgrading this much from Nylander to Backlund is absolutely ridiculous
Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:23 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
Hanifin wants to play in the US so he won't go to TO and besides that and the fact that Willy will never sign in Calgary, this is a horrible return for TO. Zadarov is a guy I would want for our 3rd pair but downgrading this much from Nylander to Backlund is absolutely ridiculous

Wow I'm shocked you think a trade offer is horribly unfair for the Leafs lol
Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
Rip

Nylander is worth more than any 2 of those assets by himself. Hanifin is a 2nd pair defender who isn't physical and is more of a 2 way guy. Good certainly but hardly elite. Backlund is old, and Zadarov is a 3rd pair defender. The best pure defensive defenceman in the trade is Brodie. This trade is garbage for TO.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
Rip
Wow I'm shocked you think a trade offer in horribly unfair for the Leafs lol

It's pointless. Hanifin isn't signing in Canada, this has been talked about at length. So he's a rental, and beyond that, he's not half as valuable as Nylander. What's left in the trade? Backlund for Brodie? Well the leafs don't need a 34 year old 3rd line centre who makes what he makes and Zadarov, while useful and someone I would target, is just a 3rd pair bruiser. He's worth more than Robertson likely but the sticking point here is the best player by a huge margin is Nylander and we get nothing here that will come close to doing what he does.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:33 p.m.
It's pointless. Hanifin isn't signing in Canada, this has been talked about at length. So he's a rental, and beyond that, he's not half as valuable as Nylander. What's left in the trade? Backlund for Brodie? Well the leafs don't need a 34 year old 3rd line centre who makes what he makes and Zadarov, while useful and someone I would target, is just a 3rd pair bruiser. He's worth more than Robertson likely but the sticking point here is the best player by a huge margin is Nylander and we get nothing here that will come close to doing what he does.

Well if you're trading Nylander and expecting a better player in return, then you're gonna really need to readjust your expectations. If you're trading Willy your options are taking a futures only based package or trading him for some lower quality roster pieces, but no matter how you slice it you're trading away the best player in the deal
Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
Rip
Well if you're trading Nylander and expecting a better player in return, then you're gonna really need to readjust your expectations. If you're trading Willy your options are taking a futures only based package or trading him for some lower quality roster pieces, but no matter how you slice it you're trading away the best player in the deal

There you go, you just nailed it. If offers for Nylander are this poor, just resign him. Which is going to be what happens and then all this is over.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
There you go, you just nailed it. If offers for Nylander are this poor, just resign him. Which is going to be what happens and then all this is over.

Maybe, but Tre has a way of producing the worst outcome in every situation. I think he doesn't budge on his ask, has another great year and walks for nothing next summer, similar to the Gaudreau situation
Jul. 31, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.
Rip
Maybe, but Tre has a way of producing the worst outcome in every situation. I think he doesn't budge on his ask, has another great year and walks for nothing next summer, similar to the Gaudreau situation

The him and Shanahan should both be fired
Erbas1915 liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 9:11 p.m.
Tanev for Brodie seems kind of redundant, no? When healthy Tanev is a bit better, but it's pretty close and they play the same position. I disagree about Backlund, he's a perfect fit for the Leafs roster right now and if you can extend him for 2-3 years at a reasonable price you're getting a great player for a cup push the next few years

If you don't want to trade Robertson, I'd also be willing take back Lijlegren instead although I suspect that may throw the balance of the trade off

Yeah, Tanev for Brodie is redundant but it does provide the Leafs with 500K cap relief, but you can't claim to improve the Leafs defense by bringing in Zadorov to replace Brodie even with the addition of Hanifin. Brodie/Tanev are much better shutdown dmen and that's an aspect that is going to be missed with the original trade.

Backlund is 34, if they sign him to a multi-year extension they are likely paying more than they can afford or should vs if they signed him as a ufa next year which could come back to haunt them. So, while he could be a nice add, he's not a player that I think you look to acquire and pay additional for in a Nylander trade. If it's clear that the Leafs need a 3C, then they could perhaps acquire him or Henrique as trade deadline rentals. Even if they end up paying more then, it's at least knowing that Domi, Kampf, and Holmberg were unable to secure the 3C role.

The trade (whether my version or the original) is already not good without adding Liljegren imo. Defense in terms of the dcore, hasn't been an issue for the Leafs for a while now but there's always room for improvement. The Leafs won't be able to get the top pairing Dman that they need but that's the kind of significant improvement that they need that would be worth weakening their top 6. Otherwise, their main goal should be to get compliant without trading major pieces, then throughout the season they look to add whatever they need.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 9:34 p.m.
Nylander is worth more than any 2 of those assets by himself. Hanifin is a 2nd pair defender who isn't physical and is more of a 2 way guy. Good certainly but hardly elite. Backlund is old, and Zadarov is a 3rd pair defender. The best pure defensive defenceman in the trade is Brodie. This trade is garbage for TO.

I do think the Leafs are better off renting Nylander than making this trade even with the modifications that I suggested. Who knows if and when Nylander will sign an extension, until then there's going to be a ton of mock trades, so at this point if I'm going to respond to a Nylander mock trade, I'm going to just comment on what's being presented.

I do think if the Leafs are trading Nylander that they are going to lose the trade because he's mostly likely going to be the best player in it. If he's being traded for defense mainly, that loss is probably going to be even worse. It's likely going to be an upcoming ufa 2nd pairing D come back. As for the other points I dif address them in my feedback to the OP.

The other option is Karlsson and while he's a top pairing Dman, the Leafs have no business acquiring him at this point especially not at the cost of Nylander. Even if we ignore on how bad acquiring Karlsson can go with his age and injury history, it's been reported that teams aren't wanting to give anything of significance for him.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 10:30 p.m.
Rip
I do think the Leafs are better off renting Nylander than making this trade even with the modifications that I suggested. Who knows if and when Nylander will sign an extension, until then there's going to be a ton of mock trades, so at this point if I'm going to respond to a Nylander mock trade, I'm going to just comment on what's being presented.

I do think if the Leafs are trading Nylander that they are going to lose the trade because he's mostly likely going to be the best player in it. If he's being traded for defense mainly, that loss is probably going to be even worse. It's likely going to be an upcoming ufa 2nd pairing D come back. As for the other points I dif address them in my feedback to the OP.

The other option is Karlsson and while he's a top pairing Dman, the Leafs have no business acquiring him at this point especially not at the cost of Nylander. Even if we ignore on how bad acquiring Karlsson can go with his age and injury history, it's been reported that teams aren't wanting to give anything of significance for him.

They can definitely find improvements without trading Nylander. Not through a high priced FA or an aging vet or anything that silly. I think resigning Willy is just smart business. People want to gripe about him making 9.5 or so, like he doesn't deserve it but I'm totally fine with it. I think he still has more growing to do. He keeps getting more and more consistent and what happens when he finally puts it all together for a whole season? Even if he's just a 40 goal scoring 90 point player for much of it, that's great value as the cap rises. Not many guys can do that. Trading is to just make a trade is just dumb.
GMBL liked this.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 1:28 a.m.
Edited Aug. 1, 2023 at 1:41 a.m.
They can definitely find improvements without trading Nylander. Not through a high priced FA or an aging vet or anything that silly. I think resigning Willy is just smart business. People want to gripe about him making 9.5 or so, like he doesn't deserve it but I'm totally fine with it. I think he still has more growing to do. He keeps getting more and more consistent and what happens when he finally puts it all together for a whole season? Even if he's just a 40 goal scoring 90 point player for much of it, that's great value as the cap rises. Not many guys can do that. Trading is to just make a trade is just dumb.

Yeah, I agree especially when you consider the amount of turnover the roster has undergone in the last 6 months alone. The only players who have already played 2+ seasons as Leafs are: Rielly, Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Brodie, Liljegren, Kampf, and Giordano. That's a little over half the Dcore but only about 30% of the forwards, got to wonder what the team chemistry will be like especially without Nylander.
RipNasty liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll