Team: 2023-24 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 29, 2023
Published: Aug. 29, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
STL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
I have a feeling Blais will be in huge demand at the trade deadline. He is cheap and a perfect playoff performer. He is also due for a major breakout year with the Blues.
STL
  1. Suzuki, Ryan
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (PHI)
Additional Details:
Vrana is what Carolina is always missing in the playoffs. A go to goal scorer. Vrana will be another player that will be in high demand due to his small salary.
STL
  1. Rasmussen, Michael
Additional Details:
I think Detroit is about to go all in. I think Rasmussen has a ton of potential still but I would bet he is pushed down the lineup this year. Kapanen and Bortz fit the playoff mold and could provide reliable defensive play to an already old team.
If Rasmussen is in the top 6 on detroit at the time this obviously doesn't happen but I think detroit sucks at developing prospects so my guess is he will be dropped into the bottom 6.
DET
  1. Bortuzzo, Robert
  2. Kapanen, Kasperi ($1,600,000 retained)
STL
    Any contender looking for defensive help. Florida fits as their defense has faced a lot of injuries recently and they learned how important depth was in the playoffs.
    FLA
    1. Scandella, Marco ($1,637,500 retained)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$80,042,262$20,000$0$3,457,738
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $1,460,000$1,460,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the St. Louis Blues
    $8,125,000$8,125,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 8
    $5,800,000$5,800,000
    LW, RW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    C, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 5
    $8,125,000$8,125,000
    RW
    UFA - 8
    $835,833$835,833
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $3,571,429$3,571,429
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $863,333$863,333
    C
    RFA - 1
    $816,667$816,667
    C
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $775,000$775,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    G
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $800,000$800,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 7
    $775,000$775,000
    G
    RFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $762,500$762,500
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 29, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
    Quoting: Mhpatb03
    Vrana is 50% retained (2.6m). If the Blues double retain and he’s traded at 1.3m, that could easily net a 2nd if he scores 20+ goals before the TDL

big if he hasnt hit 20 in 4 years and that was 25 for full season.
    Aug. 31, 2023 at 9:08 a.m.
    My personal expectations for Vrana are quite low, however; if he were to resume his career arc without the substance abuse phase, he would be a top 10 goal scorer in the nhl. He is extremely efficient at scoring. It is not unreasonable to project 40+. My personal feelings are that there’s a big risk his substance abuse issue is not resolved, and even if it is, he will have to earn the ice time to score those goals, as the team is dense.

Quoting: Caniac2000
    Calling Vrana a go to goal scorer when he has 24 goals in 2 years is brave... he's WAY too injury prone to pay anything serious for.

Vrana has no significant injury history that should concern future teams. For his size, to have played at the rate of games as he has during his career is excellent.

Quoting: AZWings
    Vrana got booted out of Washington and then booted out of Detroit. Odds are he'll wear his welcome out in St. Louis after a few weeks this season too.

Likely. But I know people who have had substance abuse issues and made changes to eliminate them from their lives. I know people who have them and won’t change. Vrana will show us which he picks.
    Aug. 31, 2023 at 9:22 a.m.
    Quoting: CantStopWontStop
    My personal expectations for Vrana are quite low, however; if he were to resume his career arc without the substance abuse phase, he would be a top 10 goal scorer in the nhl. He is extremely efficient at scoring. It is not unreasonable to project 40+. My personal feelings are that there’s a big risk his substance abuse issue is not resolved, and even if it is, he will have to earn the ice time to score those goals, as the team is dense.

Vrana has no significant injury history that should concern future teams. For his size, to have played at the rate of games as he has during his career is excellent.

Likely. But I know people who have had substance abuse issues and made changes to eliminate them from their lives. I know people who have them and won’t change. Vrana will show us which he picks.

Nahhhh, ain't no way you just said he has no significant injury history. He's never played a full season, he was injury prone BEFORE he was traded to Detroit. Stop it. He's made of glass.
    Aug. 31, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.
    Edited Aug. 31, 2023 at 10:48 a.m.
    Nahhhh, ain't no way you just said he has no significant injury history. He's never played a full season, he was injury prone BEFORE he was traded to Detroit. Stop it. He's made of glass.

At 22 years old he skated 82 games. At 21 he skated 73.

With his physical makeup and playstyle, he literally couldn’t have done that as well as be injury prone.

He had one shoulder issue, which he made worse with substance abuse apparently.

If you want injury prone look at Scotty Perunovich. That sentence may have given the dude a bruise. His injury history starts before he was drafted. Or Nolan Patrick. Or Robby Fabbri.

Pavel Bure played similar to Vrana. He had way more injuries. Nobody refers to him as injury prone.

Anybody who has this archetype has a higher risk of injury: they’re small, use their speed to execute, and are targeted physically by the opposition nightly, as they should be. If they couldn’t protect themselves they wouldn’t make it through a full season. What should be a real concern is whether there will be any post season production. The answer there is much more concerning to me than his health. Seems like the type of guy who would be a liability in the playoffs: the guy who both sucks at defense and disappears from the scoresheet.

That being said, had he avoided substance abuse and trended as his career would typically go, he’d be in the echelon of Kaprisov and Kuzmenko, the lower chunk of the best wingers in the game. He would be above guys like Jordan Kyrou who he would compare very favorably to, but be below the extremely good like Pasta, Marner, Jason Robertson, etc.
    Aug. 31, 2023 at 11:51 a.m.
    At 22 years old he skated 82 games. At 21 he skated 73.

With his physical makeup and playstyle, he literally couldn’t have done that as well as be injury prone.

He had one shoulder issue, which he made worse with substance abuse apparently.

If you want injury prone look at Scotty Perunovich. That sentence may have given the dude a bruise. His injury history starts before he was drafted. Or Nolan Patrick. Or Robby Fabbri.

Pavel Bure played similar to Vrana. He had way more injuries. Nobody refers to him as injury prone.

Anybody who has this archetype has a higher risk of injury: they’re small, use their speed to execute, and are targeted physically by the opposition nightly, as they should be. If they couldn’t protect themselves they wouldn’t make it through a full season. What should be a real concern is whether there will be any post season production. The answer there is much more concerning to me than his health. Seems like the type of guy who would be a liability in the playoffs: the guy who both sucks at defense and disappears from the scoresheet.

That being said, had he avoided substance abuse and trended as his career would typically go, he’d be in the echelon of Kaprisov and Kuzmenko, the lower chunk of the best wingers in the game. He would be above guys like Jordan Kyrou who he would compare very favorably to, but be below the extremely good like Pasta, Marner, Jason Robertson, etc.

Bure's entire career is labelled as destroyed by injuries! Vrana hasn't played a full season in 5 years, he's injury prone. He's only played more than half the games available in a season twice in that time span, neither in the last 3 years. No. He's injury-prone.
    Aug. 31, 2023 at 12:36 p.m.
    Bure's entire career is labelled as destroyed by injuries! Vrana hasn't played a full season in 5 years, he's injury prone. He's only played more than half the games available in a season twice in that time span, neither in the last 3 years. No. He's injury-prone.

I don’t count missing a season and a half because alcohol abuse occurred instead of shoulder rehab. I understand why somebody would have a different opinion.

I don’t think of pavel bure as injury prone. I think of him as a small fast dude who plays pro hockey. That type of dude will get injured period. There’s a difference to me. One dude could be Eric lindros sized (see what I did there) and be injured more. These little dudes aren’t going to go on Ironman streaks ever (with the exception to me of the ones built like brick ****houses such as DeBrincat, Marty St. Louis). Injury prone is different. That means you cannot protect yourself. Eric lindros couldn’t protect himself.
    Aug. 31, 2023 at 12:42 p.m.
    I don’t count missing a season and a half because alcohol abuse occurred instead of shoulder rehab. I understand why somebody would have a different opinion.

I don’t think of pavel bure as injury prone. I think of him as a small fast dude who plays pro hockey. That type of dude will get injured period. There’s a difference to me. One dude could be Eric lindros sized (see what I did there) and be injured more. These little dudes aren’t going to go on Ironman streaks ever (with the exception to me of the ones built like brick ****houses such as DeBrincat, Marty St. Louis). Injury prone is different. That means you cannot protect yourself. Eric lindros couldn’t protect himself.

Lindros' size wasn't responsible for his injuries, the fact he was trying to use dude to break the glass was. Bure is one of the premier examples when you think of careers destroyed by injury. Even if he wasn't, there's no comparison between Vrana and Bure. Vrana has played 101 games over the last three seasons. That is not a healthy player. You cannot argue against that at this point. 220 eligible games over that time frame and he's played less than half of them. Whether that's injuries, off-ice issues with addiction, or anything else, that hurts his value. No one is going to pay this kind of price for him.
    CantStopWontStop liked this.
    Sep. 1, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
    Lindros' size wasn't responsible for his injuries, the fact he was trying to use dude to break the glass was. Bure is one of the premier examples when you think of careers destroyed by injury. Even if he wasn't, there's no comparison between Vrana and Bure. Vrana has played 101 games over the last three seasons. That is not a healthy player. You cannot argue against that at this point. 220 eligible games over that time frame and he's played less than half of them. Whether that's injuries, off-ice issues with addiction, or anything else, that hurts his value. No one is going to pay this kind of price for him.

Of course the 2020-21 season was only 56 games long of which he played 50 of them.
    Sep. 1, 2023 at 6:24 p.m.

I don't think the issue with the Wings was the substance abuse; Vrana wouldn't have been the 1st player Yzerman brought into the fold after entering and exiting the program. I think it was him electing for shoulder surgery during training camp in 21-22 season and then entering player assistance a couple of games into 22-23 and finally stinking up the place in GR. That doesn't seem to be the mindset Stevie appreciates, thus why he basically paid St. Louis to take him.
    CantStopWontStop liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll