Created by: Caniac2000
Team: 2023-24 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 31, 2023
Published: Aug. 31, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Stealing the Chatfield to Ottawa idea from this ACGM:
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4547616

Kubalik and Thomson were in the original return, which makes no sense for Carolina. Defenseman for defenseman without an AHL affiliate doesn't do anything, and as good as Kubalik is, the wingers are already good enough. So the idea is Pinto. Drury is not much older and could fill the role, Carolina gets a guy who put up 20 last year.

For Pinto's contract, I just gave him Newhook's deal
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Pinto, Shane [RFA Rights]
OTT
  1. Chatfield, Jalen
  2. Drury, Jack
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (CAR)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$82,841,917$450,000$500,000$658,083
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 1
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C
RFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,400,000$2,400,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,675,000$1,675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
Hii
Quoting: Caniac2000
Okay, did you really try to argue Pinto is better than Newhook? That's not even close to being true. They're about the same in quality right now with both having a lot of room to grow offensively. In terms of potential, Newhook blows Pinto away. You then tried to compare Newhook to Pinto which is even funnier because Jarvis' entire gimmick is that he's either going to boom and be a 100 point player or he's going to be in the KHL very quickly.

Pinto's got good 50 point upside, and he's above average defensively. Issue is, Newhook's actually better defensively. Not to mention, Newhooks ability to play wing, the fact he's already got a Stanley Cup ring so he can speak as to the difficulties of winning it, and the fact he's got a FAR higher ceiling. There's a reason Pinto wasn't a 1st rounder, let alone a projected top 10 pick before that draft like Newhook. It's obviously 4 years down the road, but both players are still young enough to say that ceiling is far higher for Newhook.

Chatfield's probably a third-pairing guy in Ottawa as a 5-6 guy, that's probably about fair. The issue with this is that he can play top four minutes, and actually did at times for Carolina. He's also on less than league minimum for the year, and that's a very valuable contract.

TL;DR Maybe it's not enough for Pinto, but you're wildly overrating him here.

I don't know the reason that a ACGM had Chatfield going to Ottawa, but the fact that he is going to be a 5/6 here is false. They have JBD, Hamonic, Kleven, Guennette, and Thompson who could all play third pairing minutes with Brannstromm with varying degress of success.

He is worth nothing to the Ottawa Senators, because they have too many RHD waiting.

Greig is way better than Drury and they could easily call him up or have him start on a line with Pinto.

Then that third is nothing. There is literally nothing appealing to Ottawa in this trade.
sensonfire liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
Al-Tintin1122
Pinto's mediocre defensively. You know, something you could admit if you weren't biased.

Lol then why are u trying to acquire him and play him as a 3C on the contending hurricanes if he’s mediocre lmao.
Hii, sensonfire and TheBoyDuddus liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:22 p.m.
Hii
Pinto's mediocre defensively. You know, something you could admit if you weren't biased.

Dude, I may be biased, but I'm not delusional like this trade is.

It's a pipe dream. You're giving facts while also not acknowledging the context around ced facts.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: drambui
lots of bad argument here. winning a cup has nothing to do newhook potential. he was barely a factor in it and played a.minor role too. the fact he can play wing has more to do that he was not doing the best job as a center. for what thats worth, the fact pinto played well enough to solidify himself as a center is more valuable.

yes pinto was drafted later, doesnt mean squat for his potential. dont forget ( i know people will always brong this to you for the rest of your life) you compared morrow to being better than makar and nikishkin is also the next coming of christ. they both were either second round or late pick. i dont see you argue that their potebtial is low because of draft rank.

No... I said Morrow had a better statistical season at UMass than Makar ever did, which is true... Nikishin I've said would be a top 4 D man in the NHL right now and could genuinely win a Norris in his career. Both of which I said are true. The difference with Morrow and Pinto is that Morrow fell in the draft because he couldn't play in his draft year due to the pandemic. He's easily a top 10-15 pick in that draft if it was redone. Pinto did play, and that's a major indicator that he and Newhook should not be looked at the same way. Newhook's better, and has a higher ceiling, that's not something that should even be debated right now. While Newhook was a passenger on the cup team, he won it. That will make him more valuable. It's why young roster players from cup winners are probably the most valuable things in hockey.

Pinto played one season, and was mediocre across the ice, putting up 35 points while having extended top six minutes with wingers that far exceed anything he should have been playing with. This isn't a case of Kotkaniemi where he's elite defensively and he'll grow into it offensively. He was mediocre around the ice. While that's somewhat impressive on a bad Sens team, he should not be compared to Newhook, whose at least as good defensively.
HockeyBoy87 liked this.
Al-Tintin1122
Quoting: Hii
Dude, I may be biased, but I'm not delusional like this trade is.

It's a pipe dream. You're giving facts while also not acknowledging the context around ced facts.

Pinto has Backlund/ Brock Nelson potential. The only way Pinto as a 2 way centre ever gets moved is if they have too many forwards and they wanna swap him for a similar RD
Lifelong Pens Fan
Edited Aug. 31, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Quoting: AlTintin1122
Pinto has 2 way 60pt potential. Had 20 goals in his rookie szn after missing a whole year. His ceiling is high

Jarvis has a much higher ceiling than Pinto. Jarvis did have a sophomore slump, but in the playoffs did really well, getting 10pts in 15 gams played. I would also argue Newhook is better. You said in a different post that he was carried on a team lead by MacKinnon, but a team can't win a cup (especially against a stacked Tampa team at the time) without depth players (Newhook was on of these at the time of the cup win) performing well at both ends of the ice. IMO, Newhook had the higher ceiling and I think he could be a solid second line player or a good complementary piece on a top line
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
Al-Tintin1122
No... I said Morrow had a better statistical season at UMass than Makar ever did, which is true... Nikishin I've said would be a top 4 D man in the NHL right now and could genuinely win a Norris in his career. Both of which I said are true. The difference with Morrow and Pinto is that Morrow fell in the draft because he couldn't play in his draft year due to the pandemic. He's easily a top 10-15 pick in that draft if it was redone. Pinto did play, and that's a major indicator that he and Newhook should not be looked at the same way. Newhook's better, and has a higher ceiling, that's not something that should even be debated right now. While Newhook was a passenger on the cup team, he won it. That will make him more valuable. It's why young roster players from cup winners are probably the most valuable things in hockey.

Pinto played one season, and was mediocre across the ice, putting up 35 points while having extended top six minutes with wingers that far exceed anything he should have been playing with. This isn't a case of Kotkaniemi where he's elite defensively and he'll grow into it offensively. He was mediocre around the ice. While that's somewhat impressive on a bad Sens team, he should not be compared to Newhook, whose at least as good defensively.

Lol. He missed a whole year, came back and was put with 2 defensively flawed wingers . Pinto will post insane analytics on both ends this year and he’s never ever being traded. Colorado traded Newhook because he sucks and they don’t think he will develop into anything . Contenders rarely ever trade young players for picks unless they think they’ve peaked
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
Hii
Pinto scored 35 points playing with guys like Giroux, Tkachuk, DeBrincat... Newhook did it playing with Arturri Lehkonen... and Newhook plays wing. You're arguing that Pinto could have a strong offensive and defensive impact, which is half true. He was actually a hindrance offensively. Playing with better linemates like that and still not being above average offensively should be really worrying. He's got the ability to be someone like Jordan Staal, not Patrice Bergeron.

Al7gS5NGXngAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png?width=741&height=610

And to try and say Lars Eller's deadline move is even remotely relevant here is comical. Eller's a Stanley Cup champion, and he's just better than Pinto across the board. While he's also a lot older, he's the better player right now. Stop it

Newhook was sheltered playing with an extremely good forward in Lehkonen, while Pinto was thrown to the wolves in his FIRST FULL SEASON. That's not a situation where a rookie succeeds. He was also playing on the Avalanche, you could throw anybody on the Avalanche and they'd have a pretty good season. They made Dennis Malgin look good. The real test will be to see how he plays in Montreal this year when he won't be as sheltered.

Also, look me straight in the face and say you'd rather have Lars Eller, while good is past his prime, rather than a 21 young center who could be a very good #2 in time.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
Al-Tintin1122
Quoting: HockeyBoy87
Jarvis has a much higher ceiling than Pinto. Jarvis did have a sophomore slump, but in the playoffs did really well, getting 20pts in 15 gams played. I would also argue Newhook is better. You said in a different post that he was carried on a team lead by MacKinnon, but a team can't win a cup (especially against a stacked Tampa team at the time) without depth players (Newhook was on of these at the time of the cup win) performing well at both ends of the ice. IMO, Newhook had the higher ceiling and I think he could be a solid second line player or a good complementary piece on a top line

Ottawa will never move Pinto. He’s too valuable . Colorado moved Newhook cuz he peaked
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
Hii
Jarvis has a much higher ceiling than Pinto. Jarvis did have a sophomore slump, but in the playoffs did really well, getting 20pts in 15 gams played. I would also argue Newhook is better. You said in a different post that he was carried on a team lead by MacKinnon, but a team can't win a cup (especially against a stacked Tampa team at the time) without depth players (Newhook was on of these at the time of the cup win) performing well at both ends of the ice. IMO, Newhook had the higher ceiling and I think he could be a solid second line player or a good complementary piece on a top line

Which is probably Pinto's celling as well. Covering for the mistakes of his offensively inclined wingers. I also wonder at Newhook's future at center.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.

and why did you say he had better stats than makar? because you implied he was gonna be better than him. fair point about morrow's draft year and that he didnt get to play much. but then nikishkin did play, therefore the argument still stand.

for the cup thing, you mentioned you opinion that mkes him more valuable, but i fail to see any reasoning behind it. thats like saying a back up goalie who doesnt play in the playoffs has better value because of qinning a cup? or player who has ****ty posteason still get more value because the teams does well? makes no sense.

whatch newhook next year on my habs and suddenly he wont feel like a good defensive players magicly.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Lifelong Pens Fan
Newhook was sheltered playing with an extremely good forward in Lehkonen, while Pinto was thrown to the wolves in his FIRST FULL SEASON. That's not a situation where a rookie succeeds. He was also playing on the Avalanche, you could throw anybody on the Avalanche and they'd have a pretty good season. They made Dennis Malgin look good. The real test will be to see how he plays in Montreal this year when he won't be as sheltered.

Also, look me straight in the face and say you'd rather have Lars Eller, while good is past his prime, rather than a 21 young center who could be a very good #2 in time.

For trying to win just this season, I would take Eller. He is a beast on defense. Long term, I would probably take pinto
Hii liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
Lifelong Pens Fan
Quoting: AlTintin1122
Ottawa will never move Pinto. He’s too valuable . Colorado moved Newhook cuz he peaked

Do you have insider information to those two teams? Plus I doubt Newhook had peaked. If he peaked Montreal wouldn't have paid that much for him. He will continue to grow at a steady pace
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:38 p.m.
Lifelong Pens Fan
Which is probably Pinto's celling as well. Covering for the mistakes of his offensively inclined wingers. I also wonder at Newhook's future at center.

I see pinto being ever so slightly below Newhook. I feel Pinto has solid second line potential while Newhook has solid second line potential or could become a first line complementary wing
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:42 p.m.
Quoting: drambui
and why did you say he had better stats than makar? because you implied he was gonna be better than him. fair point about morrow's draft year and that he didnt get to play much. but then nikishkin did play, therefore the argument still stand.

for the cup thing, you mentioned you opinion that mkes him more valuable, but i fail to see any reasoning behind it. thats like saying a back up goalie who doesnt play in the playoffs has better value because of qinning a cup? or player who has ****ty posteason still get more value because the teams does well? makes no sense.

whatch newhook next year on my habs and suddenly he wont feel like a good defensive players magicly.

Nikishin's fall in the draft I cannot explain. It did not look like a good pick when it was made, I cannot tell you what happened, but it happened.

Would you rather have a player that's the same age, same in skill and contract status that has never played a playoff game, or a player that is the same in skill and contract status that has won the Stanley Cup, has a ton of postseason experience, and can help guide others through what it takes to win? That's why it's important.

Newhook next year will be interesting. he may have the defensive restraints lifted, but in a system like Montreal, I do expect him to be a lot freeer. I could see an offensive outburst instead. Maybe 50-55 points, more if he's on the top line with Suzuki and Caufield. Pinto had better linemates last season than he likely will again after Norris' injuries. I'm just not seeing how he has that kind of explosion.
HockeyBoy87 liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Pinto and Jarvis aren't comparables... I like Pinto, his ceiling is not even in the same stratosphere as Jarvis'. This is either a really bad troll job, or you're incredibly anti-Canes

Jarvis isn’t all that impressive. He put up the same points as Laffy while playing top 6 with Aho lol
Aug. 31, 2023 at 1:59 p.m.
Quoting: Rags21
Jarvis isn’t all that impressive. He put up the same points as Laffy while playing top 6 with Aho lol

Lafreniere was also the 1st overall pick and a top 3 prospect we've seen since McDavid was drafted... Jarvis and Lafreniere are actually very good comparables. Both are going to have an explosion at some point and become two of the better players in the league, although Laf will be better.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
Lafreniere was also the 1st overall pick and a top 3 prospect we've seen since McDavid was drafted... Jarvis and Lafreniere are actually very good comparables. Both are going to have an explosion at some point and become two of the better players in the league, although Laf will be better.

I mean yea Laffy was 1st overall and highly touted, but I think Jarvis gets the advantage of better linemates, top 6 time and one of the best coaches
Aug. 31, 2023 at 2:36 p.m.
https://theathletic.com/3690768/2022/10/19/nhl-redraft-2019/

Redraft has Newhook and Pinto back to back at 16th and 17th within the same tier. They are most definitely the same class of player. Redraft aside, trying to downplay his draft status because he didnt go in the 1st round is laughable considering he was the 32nd overall pick.

He is a terrific player as evidenced by being the runner up for the hobey baker to Caufield his last year in the NCAA and lets not forget he won the nchc awards for forward of the year, player of the year AND defensive player of the year his last full year as well.

He may not have been elite defensively THIS year but I think we can all give him a break considering he was coming off an entire year with no hockey. He most definitely has the pedigree to be exceptional defensively and considering he was one of the best faceoff takers in the ncaa during his tenure I think it's safe to assume that part of his game will translate eventually to the NHL as well. All this for someone who had only started playing hockey in high school a couple years prior.

Your evaluation of Pinto is poor and the trade doesnt require a second thought because the answer is an unequivocal no.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 2:41 p.m.

It was 10 points, not 20, in 15 games during the playoffs but yes Jarvis will get past the sophomore slump. Huge season incoming. And I would also agree that Newhook's ceiling may be higher but Pinto's floor is considerably higher than Newhook's. Montreal is betting on him reaching his potential and slotting in closer to that ceiling, obviously Colorado thinks he will settle in closer to his floor. Time will tell.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Lifelong Pens Fan
Quoting: TheBoyDuddus
It was 10 points, not 20, in 15 games during the playoffs but yes Jarvis will get past the sophomore slump. Huge season incoming. And I would also agree that Newhook's ceiling may be higher but Pinto's floor is considerably higher than Newhook's. Montreal is betting on him reaching his potential and slotting in closer to that ceiling, obviously Colorado thinks he will settle in closer to his floor. Time will tell.

Must have been a typo. Meant to put 10 pts. I agree with most of the rest you were saying. I see pintos and Newhooks floor pretty similar but Newhook has the higher ceiling
TheBoyDuddus liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
I mean yea Laffy was 1st overall and highly touted, but I think Jarvis gets the advantage of better linemates, top 6 time and one of the best coaches

You say that like Jarvis hasn't been just straight up better to this point in his career...
Aug. 31, 2023 at 2:49 p.m.
Lol
Aug. 31, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
You say that like Jarvis hasn't been just straight up better to this point in his career...

Not by a lot. Laffy was better this past year while Jarvis has those advantages
Aug. 31, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
Not by a lot. Laffy was better this past year while Jarvis has those advantages

Disagree, Lafreniere played the first half of the season with better linemates than Jarvis did. Lafreniere and Kravtsov were given RW roles in the top six, until Lafreniere was scratched. Jarvis also had a FAR better postseason. To have them have comparable totals and Lafreniere get moved down the lineup is not a good look. Not to mention, Jarvis didn't always play with Aho, just as Lafreniere didn't always play with Chytil or Zibanejad, or even Trocheck. Jarvis had the better season, and here's a nice colorful chart that kind of proves the point.

Rs3buzYsePkyZODBw9eWXbV00q9HyvQDYhMFkMtm6DECVFhsb27ZtWy8vrz59rz33ntfn5mCQoKCjw8PMLDwXQhYpWyZsDoNi4ceMTTzyxbdu2Hj162LosVdexY8dmz559PDhtLQ0Oc5e3vVu4eFi951SvxcAWyGyBwBAk717927ZsiUqKsrsRIAUEUQ2QMAAAB6wB20AAAAgB4Q2QMAAAB6QGQPAAAA6AGRPQAAAKAHRPYAAACAHhDZAwAAAHpAZA8AAADowf8BCAww2bXunxoAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png?width=741&height=610

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll