Forums/Armchair-GM

Context for Fans

Created by: PaIhal
Team: 2023-24 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 4, 2023
Published: Sep. 4, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I see lots of different takes on the Canucks and what they will do here so I wanted to provide some context about how we are looking at the season.

Management believes this team can win a cup. Here is why. Let's analyze 5 "Top" teams:
- Vegas
- Toronto
- Edmonton
- Colorado
- Tampa Bay

How many of these teams have a #1C, #1D and #1G. The answer is 0.

Vegas is lacking a #1G.
Toronto is lacking a #1D and #1G
Edmonton is lacking a #1D and #1G
Colorado is lacking a #1G
Tampa was lacking a #1C when they won their cups, now lacking a #1D and arguably after last year's playoffs a #1G

Florida went far with just Thachuk, Montour, Bob. Those three carried them to a final.

The view from Management is that Pettersson, Hughes, Demko is the best #1C, #1D and #1G combination in the league.

So the team will continue to retool and add 22-27y old players with potential to play around that core. Management will be hoping they can sneak into the playoffs and we already saw in the Bubble that Demko can steal series, we know Pettersson can as well. So if we make the playoffs we will be a threat.

This tread is just some ideas we've been playing around with nothing concrete. Would love some Canucks fan's opinions.
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$81,384,167$850,000$0$2,115,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C, LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
C
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RW, C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 4, 2023 at 11:11 a.m.
ginger
Toronto is already set for goaltending. Woll - Sammy is going to be good. The thing we lack is depth as of heading into this season. Rielly was a stud in the playoffs, thats are number one. McCabe was good, Brodie was meh, gio was okay, lily didn’t play that much so I can’t say much.
Are defence as of right now has more puck moving but worse defensively.
I think leafs are set just need a better fourth line and better bottom pair for defence
Sep. 4, 2023 at 11:17 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Toronto has their 1D already thank you very much... Rielly is so underrated... Especially in the playoffs

As for goaltending, I'll agree with you only until Sammy has another good season this year, then I might disagree but until then, you can argue for it...

The Canucks' biggest issue IMO is their guys minus Petey, Kuzmenko, Hughes and Demko, That lineup compared to the Leafs or Vegas for example is very weak, leading to if there's an injury to those 4 guys, the Canucks are screwed whereas if Petro gets hurt for Vegas or Matthews gets hurt for the Leafs (like he was basically all of last year), Toronto and Vegas move on and can afford it during the RS

An example with Toronto is when their entire defensive core was decimated for a month and the Leafs went on a winning streak (They didn't have Rielly, Lilly, Brodie, Sandin and Jordie Benn whom was their 3rd defensemen during that few games stretch got hurt... They had pairings of:
Gio - Holl
Mete - Hollowell
Kral - random AHL guy)

And they were still able to succeed
Brad_Treliving liked this.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 11:19 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: The_Ginger_Leaf
Toronto is already set for goaltending. Woll - Sammy is going to be good. The thing we lack is depth as of heading into this season. Rielly was a stud in the playoffs, thats are number one. McCabe was good, Brodie was meh, gio was okay, lily didn’t play that much so I can’t say much.
I think leafs are set just need a better fourth line and better bottom pair for defence

McCabe was not good. He just hits. He should be the 3LD with either Brodie as the #2 LD or we find someone else and Brodie stays with Rielly on the top pair. In any case, TO is without a doubt a top team in the regular season once again but they will need to make a couple additions to the blueline this season for the playoffs.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 11:20 a.m.
Rip
This post is small man syndrome.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 11:24 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: The_Ginger_Leaf

I think that if the biggest issues that you see are the 4rth line and 3rd pairings heading into the season and it's not a complete disaster, you've got a pretty good team
The_Ginger_Leaf liked this.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 11:33 a.m.
Funny how this post was written about the Canucks team.It turned into another Leafs post.lol
GiggywithGibby liked this.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
Anaheim doesn’t have a roster spot for Myers anymore
Sep. 4, 2023 at 11:52 a.m.
Toronto already has a #1 D and it's Rielly. He was a beauty and a warrior for the last two playoffs and could argue he should be the captain of the Leafs

As for goaltending, we have Samsonov and Woll showed huge upside in the playoffs
Sep. 4, 2023 at 11:55 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: remowilliams
Funny how this post was written about the Canucks team.It turned into another Leafs post.lol

I talked about the Canucks and the Leafs bc he said the leafs didn't have a 1D or a 1G which at least one of those isn't true but here's what I said about the Canucks:
Quoting: Leafsfan98
The Canucks' biggest issue IMO is their guys minus Petey, Kuzmenko, Hughes and Demko, That lineup compared to the Leafs or Vegas for example is very weak, leading to if there's an injury to those 4 guys, the Canucks are screwed whereas if Petro gets hurt for Vegas or Matthews gets hurt for the Leafs (like he was basically all of last year), Toronto and Vegas move on and can afford it during the RS

An example with Toronto is when their entire defensive core was decimated for a month and the Leafs went on a winning streak (They didn't have Rielly, Lilly, Brodie, Sandin and Jordie Benn whom was their 3rd defensemen during that few games stretch got hurt... They had pairings of:
Gio - Holl
Mete - Hollowell
Kral - random AHL guy)

And they were still able to succeed

And I used Toronto as an example to show what happens if x doesn't go according to plan
remowilliams liked this.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 12:28 p.m.
Lifelong Pens Fan
I pretty sure Colorado has their starter in Georgiev. Tampa has point for a number 1 center, Hedman and Sergachev are both capable for a number one D, and Vasilevskiy is one of the best goalies in the league.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 12:31 p.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
tampa had a top center in Point both times plus they had Kucherov and a crap ton of cheap depth.

Also Demko is not very good. could he bounce back? Yea. Hell id bet he will, but will he become a top 6 goalie? Nah. Saros, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Hellebucyk, Vasi, Oettinger are all easily better, plus Samsonov and Gustavsson are looking to enter the top tier as well. Is he a starting goalie? Obviously but not a top one imo. very middle of the pack

You look at this roster and there are many holes. Middle 6 needs a few more guys who can be gritty, physical, good defensively and score goals. None of those guys really have that besides JT

And the defense sucks. Hronek and Hughes are good but besides that... sheesh. I love Soucy but as a 3LD.

But this team does have potential. Lekkermaki and Willander will both really help a lot. Imo if you offload the Beauvillier, Mikeheyv, Myers, pearson, and Garland deals (or let them expire), develop for a few years then go all in youll really have a good shot at a cup
Sep. 4, 2023 at 12:36 p.m.
Banned
I feel I should clarify something.

This post was not intended to say the Canucks are better than any of those teams.

It's just telling you the logic behind how the Canucks are building their team this year. I'm fully aware that those teams all have multiple stars and are better all round teams.

What most fans don't understand is that the playoffs are largely down to luck. In the NHL even the 1st place team only has a ~60% chance of beating the worst team on any given night.

Since many Leafs fans are here, I'd ask you this. How many times have you been "goalied" or run into a hot player in the playoffs. Now how many times have you done the same to another team?

Having a deep team is great if 4 times in a row the favourite wins. Even if you are a 60% favourite in every playoff round you only have a 12% chance of winning 4 in a row.

My point here is the Canucks logic isn't flawed. Management isn't saying that the Canucks can best the Leafs. They are saying that in a series against the Leafs (for example). Pettersson, Hughes or Demko could single handedly win the series for the Canucks (two of them have already proved that). On the Leafs it's Matthews? (He's also had 8 chances and never done it).

When we talk about #1s it's McDavid, Karlsson (2017), Bob, Mackinnon, Makar, Hedman, Stamkos, these guys can win a round on their own and carry their team.

Maybe Samsonov or Woll can do it but neither give anyone much reason to believe they can. Rielly can't do it. He played tremendous last year and that quality of play was equivalent to Karlsson/Makar/Fox in the regular season. Not the Karlsson or Makar performances we've seen in the playoffs.

So that's some clarification. The Canucks just believe if they make the playoffs they can steal rounds because generally only a #1C, #1D, #1G can do that and they have all three, most teams don't.
AK50, remowilliams and fangm liked this.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 12:45 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
IMO, Rielly is a good enough #1 D for Toronto. He lacks a great partner though, Luke Schenn was that, but he left. Oilers might not yet have a true #1 D-man, but I think Ekholm, Bouchard and Nurse are good enough to get the job done(all solid #2 guys, so it averages out). Tampa Bay has 2 #1 D-men: Hedman and Sergachev. While I do think that the Nucks have the right pieces to make the playoffs, they are missing a good partner for Hughes(had it with Schenn, but dealt him) and a solid backup goalie.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
VAN have no reason to move Joshua, they like the grit/toughness he brings.
remowilliams liked this.
Sep. 4, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NucksExec
I feel I should clarify something.

This post was not intended to say the Canucks are better than any of those teams.

It's just telling you the logic behind how the Canucks are building their team this year. I'm fully aware that those teams all have multiple stars and are better all round teams.

What most fans don't understand is that the playoffs are largely down to luck. In the NHL even the 1st place team only has a ~60% chance of beating the worst team on any given night.

Since many Leafs fans are here, I'd ask you this. How many times have you been "goalied" or run into a hot player in the playoffs. Now how many times have you done the same to another team?

Having a deep team is great if 4 times in a row the favourite wins. Even if you are a 60% favourite in every playoff round you only have a 12% chance of winning 4 in a row.

My point here is the Canucks logic isn't flawed. Management isn't saying that the Canucks can best the Leafs. They are saying that in a series against the Leafs (for example). Pettersson, Hughes or Demko could single handedly win the series for the Canucks (two of them have already proved that). On the Leafs it's Matthews? (He's also had 8 chances and never done it).

When we talk about #1s it's McDavid, Karlsson (2017), Bob, Mackinnon, Makar, Hedman, Stamkos, these guys can win a round on their own and carry their team.

Maybe Samsonov or Woll can do it but neither give anyone much reason to believe they can. Rielly can't do it. He played tremendous last year and that quality of play was equivalent to Karlsson/Makar/Fox in the regular season. Not the Karlsson or Makar performances we've seen in the playoffs.

So that's some clarification. The Canucks just believe if they make the playoffs they can steal rounds because generally only a #1C, #1D, #1G can do that and they have all three, most teams don't.

I understand the logic from the Canucks, but if you want my thoughts, check out my last post on this thread... But here's the rebuttal on the Leafs:

Rielly's always been a playoff performer, that's his shtick... He needs a Pesce type player on the backend to help him which I believe Treliving will find... He was also playing hurt for a majority of this past season (Until his hip injury he had 16 assists in 20 games, roughly a 65 assist pace). He's a number 1, no doubt about it... He's also fantastic 5v5, especially in the playoffs

As for Samsonov, you're right until he proves you wrong this season, Sammy had 1 top 7 goaltending season and he's been mid besides that, he also played up to par in the playoffs until G3, when he got hurt (I fully believe Leafs if Sammy doesn't get hurt, as great as Woll was, the Leafs win G3 and G5 and go back to Florida with a 3-2 lead)... But you're right about luck and running into a hot goaltender.

You've also got to include Matthews after the RD1 he had vs Tampa, he was the best player in RD 1 at that time bc of the defence and the threat he constantly posed offensively... And he just got very unlucky in RD 2 (led the league in shots and attempts in RD 2)

I think if you get rid of the 1D claim that the Leafs don't have, I don't find any problems with it

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll