SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion - The Treleafs

Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Until one of the core guys (Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander) steps the f up for one of their teammates, I don't care how many so called tough 4th liners this teams adds, the culture of this team being soft will continue. There is no pack mentality on this team.

Well said. Actually that's the real truth of it all. If the core guys are soft, nobody else will do anything either.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Juice
Gotta look at the bigger picture. How are we fitting new salary? Let's assume Liljegren goes to LTIR and opens up room. What happens when he's back? What happens when Timmins is back? This roster is not constructed to be able to take on any new salary without moving some out. Have to know the timetable for a return to know what additional, cap clearing move we'll need to make and when.

And any trade made this early is going to be at a premium. What motivation does any team have to move anything of quality unless we make it worth their while?

IMO...any deal now is going to be for some min salary vet/ahl journeyman that can provide some depth and can get bounced back to the AHL when our regulars are healthy.

Realistically they fill the holes from within and try and ride this out rather than make a knee-jerk reaction move now that forces them into more less-advantage moves later.

I feel like Borrtuzzo will be brought in to fill the gap before transitioning back to 7D when we are healthy. I could also see a claim for Oesterle being put in
Juice liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Gotta look at the bigger picture. How are we fitting new salary? Let's assume Liljegren goes to LTIR and opens up room. What happens when he's back? What happens when Timmins is back? This roster is not constructed to be able to take on any new salary without moving some out. Have to know the timetable for a return to know what additional, cap clearing move we'll need to make and when.

And any trade made this early is going to be at a premium. What motivation does any team have to move anything of quality unless we make it worth their while?

IMO...any deal now is going to be for some min salary vet/ahl journeyman that can provide some depth and can get bounced back to the AHL when our regulars are healthy.

Realistically they fill the holes from within and try and ride this out rather than make a knee-jerk reaction move now that forces them into more less-advantage moves later.

When hes back there could be another injury as this team never seems to stay 100% healthy a full 82 games

Klingberg is also a money out option. Hes gonna be the guy they move out to make the money work lets be honest here as his impact was not to be as expected so far even on PP.

As if another teams gonna tank they would probs take him with some assets and send us a Dman

Holland turned Barrie and some assets into Ekholm who knows maybe we can turn Klingberg and some assets into Zadorov + Tanev or something
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:42 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: oneX
Well said. Actually that's the real truth of it all. If the core guys are soft, nobody else will do anything either.

I don't want this construed that I don't appreciate having them, because I do. But leaders lead by example, if they want to show that they can't be pushed over well PUSH THE F BACK
oneX liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I feel like Borrtuzzo will be brought in to fill the gap before transitioning back to 7D when we are healthy. I could also see a claim for Oesterle being put in

Bortuzzo
M.Rielly
Bogosian
Kulikov
Megna

ETC

Those all would be good temporary fixes
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:49 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
When hes back there could be another injury as this team never seems to stay 100% healthy a full 82 games

Klingberg is also a money out option. Hes gonna be the guy they move out to make the money work lets be honest here as his impact was not to be as expected so far even on PP.

As if another teams gonna tank they would probs take him with some assets and send us a Dman

Holland turned Barrie and some assets into Ekholm who knows maybe we can turn Klingberg and some assets into Zadorov + Tanev or something

Agreed...another injury would solve the issue but you don't roster plan that way

Klingberg has a limited NTC. So be honest with yourself and recognize his 10-team no trade list + cap hit + declining skill doesn't make it a simple "money out" trade. Not impossible. But not easy and is a low leverage move, whenever it happens.

All this and we haven't even see how this team will perform using the personnel they already have in the system.

And also have to acknowledge that a trade in November would be at a premium because it reeks of desperation....

Long term....yes...hopefully there's avenues to bring in some more quality on defence like a Zadorov or Tanev. But short term? It'll probably be stop-gap options
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:49 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I feel like Vancouver is an excellent example of what a structured coach who holds his players accountable can do. Leafs desperately need that presence behind the bench
MatthewsFan and oneX liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
Amirov Forever
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/771234

New thread, already at 49 pages here
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Agreed...another injury would solve the issue but you don't roster plan that way

Klingberg has a limited NTC. So be honest with yourself and recognize his 10-team no trade list + cap hit + declining skill doesn't make it a simple "money out" trade. Not impossible. But not easy and is a low leverage move, whenever it happens.

All this and we haven't even see how this team will perform using the personnel they already have in the system.

And also have to acknowledge that a trade in November would be at a premium because it reeks of desperation....

Long term....yes...hopefully there's avenues to bring in some more quality on defence like a Zadorov or Tanev. But short term? It'll probably be stop-gap options

Well it kind of depends on what trade. If you do something like player for player like we saw with Caleb Jones for Burke or Friedman for Rathbone than its do-able

If they can turn say Lajoie for Jones or something thats a start

Basically 1 for 1 type of thing

But than again FLA will soon have 9 NHL Dman once healthy they may look to move one which is why I suggested Mike Rielly. Will be interesting to see as I think something could be coming whether its small or big lets see.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Well it kind of depends on what trade. If you do something like player for player like we saw with Caleb Jones for Burke or Friedman for Rathbone than its do-able

If they can turn say Lajoie for Jones or something thats a start

Basically 1 for 1 type of thing

But than again FLA will soon have 9 NHL Dman once healthy they may look to move one which is why I suggested Mike Rielly. Will be interesting to see as I think something could be coming whether its small or big lets see.

Yep...my main point is to see the long term vision and don't make a shot-viewed move now that will prevent you from making a bigger move later

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll