SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion - The Treleafs

Nov. 2, 2023 at 11:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I think what’s most surprising is this was so fukcing predictable. None of these additions made sense (especially if you are bringing back Keefe) there is no utility with the roster.

People actually thought this team could win the Atlantic. This is still a playoff team no question, there is too much talent up but they will rely on PP production, struggle mightily at 5v5, and hopefully have one of the goalies steal a few games.

Treliving had 16.4 million dollars this offseason to work with. Even IF this team can string together some wins not even close to a Cup contender 🤷‍♂️

On the bright side, it's all 1 year deals and because of the covid cap having a few mediocre deals actually helps trade wise (I would assume that stops being the
case next year)
Nov. 2, 2023 at 11:24 p.m.
Starting to get to the point where it's not too early to make judgements anymore and this offseason is looking like a huge whiff for Treliving. Looked like it from day one but I have been at least trying to remain optimistic. That's quickly fading.

Every single one of his additions have been ass. You can point to the advanced stats on Bert and say the results will come and fair enough, but until they do...

Seemed to have no plan or vision for the team other than mOrE sNoT (and for some godforsaken reason, Klingberg) and sorely misjudged the impact the players he brought in would have in that regard.

Apparently didn't take into account fit or team structure/systems either. Like seriously between Domi, Klingberg, Reaves, Kampf, our lineup is just completely incohesive. You can throw it through the blender as much as you want but there is just no combination that will be satisfactory to this teams aspirations.

And on top of all this he decided to play hard ball with Nylander rather than coming to a fair compromise and you can bet the farm that number has only gone up.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 2, 2023 at 11:30 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I think what’s most surprising is this was so fukcing predictable. None of these additions made sense (especially if you are bringing back Keefe) there is no utility with the roster.

People actually thought this team could win the Atlantic. This is still a playoff team no question, there is too much talent up but they will rely on PP production, struggle mightily at 5v5, and hopefully have one of the goalies steal a few games.

Treliving had 16.4 million dollars this offseason to work with. Even IF this team can string together some wins not even close to a Cup contender 🤷‍♂️

I think the offseason was largely successful aside from the Keefe signing. I get why he was brought back, but I just don't think it was right. This Leafs roster is objectively the best its been in a while. The issue is that this isn't a team that was constructed to fit into the Sheldon Keefe system. A guy like Cooper or Cassidy would have a field day with this team. Keefe just doesn't know how to deploy physical players. He relies on our uber elite talent to produce and fixates way too much on "shutdown" lines. As soon as our top lines get countered, we are done for. I hate that we get a lead and then give guys like Kampf a ton of ice time. With Keefe, it's all about hanging onto leads instead of adding to them.

We see Keefe consistently flounder with guys. He doesn't give guys genuine chances to succeed. I get making guys earn their roles, but how is a guy like Gregor supposed to earn a role when he's stuck with Kampf and Reaves? How was Barabanov supposed to earn a role while playing with Spezza and Simmonds? Nick Ritchie is no spring chicken, but he was pretty good in AZ. He was downright horrible with the Leafs. Sandin and Moore were relegated to depth roles. They eventually moved on and have done very well. Barabanov was a scratch and was stuck on the 4th line. I think he got one look in the top 6 before Keefe gave up. He's now a great player for the Sharks. It's not a coincidence that many former Leafs find success after their time in Toronto. His system isn't harming this team by any means (which is why he was brought back), but it won't take us to the next level. It's a one-size-fits-all approach each game with very little adaptation. It's no wonder the Leafs flounder when they go up against a well structed, hungry team like Boston. When the system doesn't work, Keefe puts out the blender and hopes for the best. He has no vision. The issue now is that we are stuck with him for this year and next. There are guys internally who I think would kick ass as Leafs head coach. The most infuriating thing is that we will make the playoffs, fall short yet again, and then get someone at the draft who can't help in the now. Keefe is this teams biggest hindrance and I wish management was willing to take a gamble and move on.
Nov. 2, 2023 at 11:34 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Random2152
On the bright side, it's all 1 year deals and because of the covid cap having a few mediocre deals actually helps trade wise (I would assume that stops being the
case next year)

Not with Willy hopefully making 9.25 next year. 2025 is the year to make actual changes
Nov. 2, 2023 at 11:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 2, 2023 at 11:58 p.m.
People still overreacting a bit lul

But yea still not great especially with the 2 injuries

Good news Sammy other than the shootout had a better game

Lineup adjustment still needed but yea if Sammy can keep putting up this kind of number we can get going
Nov. 2, 2023 at 11:52 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Sometimes reinventing the wheel every year isn’t a good strategy. God this could have been sweet.

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Knies - ROR - Järnkrok
McMann - Holmberg - Acciari

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Liljegren
Giordano Timmins
Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:06 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:30 a.m.
Sometimes reinventing the wheel every year isn’t a good strategy. God this could have been sweet.

Knies - ROR - Järnkrok

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Liljegren
Giordano Timmins

To be fair they did try to keep ROR but he said no

Schenn was a risk as 11 game good sample of him with Rielly him in playoffs was not great basis to go heres almost 3m

While this would have been better also got to see other things

Bertuzzi isnt 100% healthy and its been noticeable like when Matthews hurt his wrist

Domi is not playing C where he should be

Reaves should be in and out to bad someone got hurt and ****ed that plan

Klingberg is the big red flag. The chip on his shoulder has grown not shrunk. Thought he would come in motivated to prove ANA was a fluke. Nope hes making it more right lul

But we do know he wasnt the first plan it was Gudas but Canadian media scared him away

Lucky for us that deals moveable and if you can play your cards right turn him and some assets into an upgrade.

Still early as we just started Nov but yea with McCabe and Liligren out time to get in the game.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:50 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Good to at least see Sammy rebound

Goal 1 meh

But other than that 38 saves on 40 shots not bad especially with what happened with the Dcore and not having McCabe and Liligren

Would go with him vs Buffalo

Team gonna really have to work it as their blue line be extra thin now

Either got to move Brodie to spread the defense off just 1 pair or trade or call someone up

Wouldnt mind trying

Rielly-Niemela
Lagesson-Brodie
Gio-Klingberg

Till McCabe back monday
Nov. 3, 2023 at 2:05 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Let that come later once we have the lead by at least 2 goals

With how our Dcore is rn and Sammy being shakey at times its so risky

If the game was out of reach **** it let em have it lul

Get 2 with like 8mins left than go have fun

Man...if the Leafs and coaching/management are going to think like you are here then there is not a player in the league that would need to think twice before running a valuable member of this team.

Sometimes you take the L just to send a message that nobody is going to mess with our players. Tonight was the 3rd play in 3 games where a player thought it was okay to hit Liljegren the way all 3 plays happened and now he'll miss significant time.

Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Its all about hunger and system. The Bruins just play better hockey than the Leafs. Its that simple. Keefe is a HUGE issue

I don't remember what side you were on as far as Keefe goes but really he's been a huge issue in terms of how this team plays period, nevermind start,middle or finish.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 2:08 a.m.
With how he hit the ice idk if Lililgren's gonna be able to play Saturday. Hopefully its not to bad but man our already fragile Dcore might be at the breaking point

As now our 2nd pair's basically out and if we can call someone up probs gonna be Lajoie

Im a bit concerned with seeing

Rielly-Brodie
Gio-Klingberg
Lagesson-Lajoie

I don't know how many times you saw the replay but only having seen it once myself, his head hit the ice...so yeah I think regardless of what really happens, he's missing a few games easily.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 2:09 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
I don't know how many times you saw the replay but only having seen it once myself, his head hit the ice...so yeah I think regardless of what really happens, he's missing a few games easily.

Its significant time so probs LTIR
oneX liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 2:19 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 3, 2023 at 2:26 a.m.
Man...if the Leafs and coaching/management are going to think like you are here then there is not a player in the league that would need to think twice before running a valuable member of this team.

Sometimes you take the L just to send a message that nobody is going to mess with our players. Tonight was the 3rd play in 3 games where a player thought it was okay to hit Liljegren the way all 3 plays happened and now he'll miss significant time.

I don't remember what side you were on as far as Keefe goes but really he's been a huge issue in terms of how this team plays period, nevermind start,middle or finish.

To me I think somethings going on.

Either Keefe is telling Reaves dont do this **** or hes not 100%

As game 1-4 Reaves was being Reaves. What we all wanted big hits, fights, etc.

Now its crickets

Once McCabe is back put Liligren on LTIR and call someone up to rotate with him

If McCabe stabilizes things enough to where Timmins comes back move Klingberg for someone more defensive

As trust me I think somethings coming and this outcome will make it sooner than later.

Cause Sammy had a solid performance and we let him down

As for Keefe im not on anybody's side. The year he should have been gone 2021 and who was available to replace Bruce Cassidy

2023 options were slim to none rn who will move the needle. To me fix the Dcore get things stabalized so goalie can stay hot and then look at forwards.

Whether its call ups, moves, or trades, etc thats the order rn

As Sammy and Woll have shown they can be good but man this Dcore is so Fragile

Gimme Zadorov and Tanev or something along those lines
oneX liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 2:31 a.m.
To me I think somethings going on.

Either Keefe is telling Reaves dont do this **** or hes not 100%

As game 1-4 Reaves was being Reaves. What we all wanted big hits, fights, etc.

Now its crickets

Once McCabe is back put Liligren on LTIR and call someone up to rotate with him

If McCabe stabilizes things enough to where Timmins comes back move Klingberg for someone more defensive

As trust me I think somethings coming and this outcome will make it sooner than later.

Cause Sammy had a solid performance and we let him down

As for Keefe im not on anybody's side. The year he should have been gone 2021 and who was available to replace Bruce Cassidy

2023 options were slim to none rn who will move the needle. To me fix the Dcore get things stabalized so goalie can stay hot and then look at forwards.

Whether its call ups, moves, or trades, etc thats the order rn

As Sammy and Woll have shown they can be good but man this Dcore is so Fragile

Gimme Zadorov and Tanev or something along those lines

I'm sorry dude. Our guy got hurt from a dirty play, no excuses. This team doesn't seem to have a spine.

Gotta respond when one of your team mates gets hurt from a dirty play. Not healthy for that? Then ****ing sit out.
Juice liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 7:20 a.m.

Knies - ROR - Järnkrok

Rielly Schenn
McCabe Liljegren
Giordano Timmins

Was beating that drum after the Bertuzzi signing. Everyone thought it was SUCH an upgrade and I didn't wanna be that guy but had to say Bunting was underappreciated and we might have been better off just to keep him around.

And apparently they didn't even try to talk to his camp much which is annoying cause I feel like a Nick Paul type deal could've been worked out there.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 8:28 a.m.
Amirov Forever

I think Keefe is a neutral coach. He doesn't do anything to make this team better, but he doesn't do anything to make them worse most of the time. He doesn't adapt well to adversity and when he gets outclassed, everything falls apart. I'm not a fan of the style of play he prioritizes. His system is too passive offensively and not engaged enough defensively.
oneX liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 8:58 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
You know, it's funny hearing about all these players say how much they want to play in TO... Especially guys like Domi, Reaves, Bert, Nylander, Marner, etc.

But the guys who proved how much they wanted to play here tonight were:
Matthews (it deflected off of his pad on the 1rst goal, set it up and got the second one, also very responsible defensively)
JT (Hustling all game, getting chance after chance, even trying to go after hits)
Sammy (Minus shootout)
Rielly (Truly played a heavy game, was creating chances and was carrying a load and then some despite playing half the game)
oneX and NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 11:51 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Was beating that drum after the Bertuzzi signing. Everyone thought it was SUCH an upgrade and I didn't wanna be that guy but had to say Bunting was underappreciated and we might have been better off just to keep him around.

And apparently they didn't even try to talk to his camp much which is annoying cause I feel like a Nick Paul type deal could've been worked out there.

Yup!

There are plenty of examples of players signed/traded to a team that just don’t fit. We believe they should because on paper it looks awesome but under different (team cultures/coaching styles) they just don’t fit. It’s super early and Bertuzzi’s underlying numbers are actually pretty good, I do believe the numbers will come.

But him sitting all alone on the bench, removed from his teammates, laughing at his friend Marchand is a terrible look. I’m calling it now, he is not a Leaf beyond this season and I do actually wonder could be used as a trade chip for a D this season.

But realize this guys (Bert/Domi) were brought in for playoff hockey, but this team is an actual mess. I don’t see any quick fixes to improve it.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
Funny enough last time they did 10 games we were doing the same complaints

As the 10th game was the end of the Cali roadtrip where they went 0-1-2 losing to the Ducks in OT.

Last night Sammy looked better had probs his best game of the season to bad we couldnt just get one more.

And the cherry on top Dcore's now without 2 key guys thanks to injury

Bertuzzi should not be playing till healthy. What im seeing is what we saw from Matthews what ever it is hurts and restricts him. But Cap be a thing and they rn cant do that

Domi should be playing Center nuff with the wing. Knies-Domi-Jarnkrok or Knies-Domi-Nylander

Reaves should be rotated depending on matchups. Also suspect hes not 100% but thats a different manner as you dont just change how you play in 5 games without a reason. Now if its Keefe doing it what are you doing. Cant turn the guy into something hes not let him do his thing (bash opponents, have fights, etc).

With Liligren most likely going to LTIR I would explore a move

FLA is about to get back all their Dman soon maybe send a 5th for Mike Rielly

But at least we know we can rely on both goalies when they are going.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:09 p.m.

Sometimes you take the L just to send a message that nobody is going to mess with our players. Tonight was the 3rd play in 3 games where a player thought it was okay to hit Liljegren the way all 3 plays happened and now he'll miss significant time. .

This. I feel the exact same way. Lose the battle to win the war.

And why was Reeves the only guy chirping? I doubt he'd be able to catch marchand to line him up for a hit...and marchand is not going to drop mitts. But there needs to be a culture where if a guy gets done dirty like that...players on the ice are throwing jabs and multiple guys on the bench are chirping. There's no disincentive right now which was SUPPOSED to change with these additions.
oneX liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
You know, it's funny hearing about all these players say how much they want to play in TO... Especially guys like Domi, Reaves, Bert, Nylander, Marner, etc.

But the guys who proved how much they wanted to play here tonight were:
Matthews (it deflected off of his pad on the 1rst goal, set it up and got the second one, also very responsible defensively)
JT (Hustling all game, getting chance after chance, even trying to go after hits)
Sammy (Minus shootout)
Rielly (Truly played a heavy game, was creating chances and was carrying a load and then some despite playing half the game)

Marner did have himself a good game though tonight. Still laugh at the fact he missed a shoot went to look at the tablet next shift he just fires one and it goes in.

Bertuzzi yea laughing on the bench what you good for. Coupled with the mysterious injury pressbox would be nice but no cap space.

Domi we can see hes trying and honestly what he did in LA should have did tonight to

Im so curious if Keefe holds them back from just going out and being rats at this point. This is especially evident for Reaves. Game 1-4 even a bit of 5 hes doing his thing than all of a sudden hes a different player its like going from a Bull to a Calf

What happened. Did Keefe go we dont want that, is he hurt, its so odd.

Anyways there has been some progress but also been some issues its Nov and they always seem to wake up now especially after game 10 lets see. As with the blue line injuries they gonna really need to play hard
Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:32 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
This. I feel the exact same way. Lose the battle to win the war.

And why was Reeves the only guy chirping? I doubt he'd be able to catch marchand to line him up for a hit...and marchand is not going to drop mitts. But there needs to be a culture where if a guy gets done dirty like that...players on the ice are throwing jabs and multiple guys on the bench are chirping. There's no disincentive right now which was SUPPOSED to change with these additions.

I don't just want chirping. I know, everyone knows Marchand the rat that he is will not fight but Reeves and Bertuzzi and whoever else can still go hit him and make sure he knows what happened is unacceptable.

I'm surprised more of us on here aren't furious about this.
Juice liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 12:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
With the cap constraints Mike Rielly could be an interesting trade option

FLA gonna get healthy soon and dont seem to want to use him

But from results in the past he has shown he is an NHL defender just Bruins didnt have the cap at times

Send a 6th or 7th and should get it done
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:05 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Marner did have himself a good game though tonight. Still laugh at the fact he missed a shoot went to look at the tablet next shift he just fires one and it goes in.

Bertuzzi yea laughing on the bench what you good for. Coupled with the mysterious injury pressbox would be nice but no cap space.

Domi we can see hes trying and honestly what he did in LA should have did tonight to

Im so curious if Keefe holds them back from just going out and being rats at this point. This is especially evident for Reaves. Game 1-4 even a bit of 5 hes doing his thing than all of a sudden hes a different player its like going from a Bull to a Calf

What happened. Did Keefe go we dont want that, is he hurt, its so odd.

Anyways there has been some progress but also been some issues its Nov and they always seem to wake up now especially after game 10 lets see. As with the blue line injuries they gonna really need to play hard

That goal went off of Matthews BTW... And Matthews set up the entire thing... Marner was lazy at times and can't have that, especially against better teams...

Lilly goes to LTIR, Bert can go on IR and call up McMann and Benoit/Lagoie...

Domi's trying... But I still super frustrated bc he's f****d either way 5v5... He either gets the most defensive minded player on the Leafs or gets stuck with Reaves and Gregor

I think Reaves is also dealing with injuries, he looked like he was in pain on the bench after playing a heavy shift...

And after Steve Dangle rips them a new one:

Keefe also getting too much hate IMO... My only criticism is the lack of benching to Marner and Nylander, at times... But not the worst
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I don't just want chirping. I know, everyone knows Marchand the rat that he is will not fight but Reeves and Bertuzzi and whoever else can still go hit him and make sure he knows what happened is unacceptable.

I'm surprised more of us on here aren't furious about this.

Until one of the core guys (Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander) steps the f up for one of their teammates, I don't care how many so called tough 4th liners this teams adds, the culture of this team being soft will continue. There is no pack mentality on this team.
oneX and LeafsFanForSomeReason liked this.
Nov. 3, 2023 at 1:25 p.m.
With the cap constraints Mike Rielly could be an interesting trade option

FLA gonna get healthy soon and dont seem to want to use him

But from results in the past he has shown he is an NHL defender just Bruins didnt have the cap at times

Send a 6th or 7th and should get it done

Gotta look at the bigger picture. How are we fitting new salary? Let's assume Liljegren goes to LTIR and opens up room. What happens when he's back? What happens when Timmins is back? This roster is not constructed to be able to take on any new salary without moving some out. Have to know the timetable for a return to know what additional, cap clearing move we'll need to make and when.

And any trade made this early is going to be at a premium. What motivation does any team have to move anything of quality unless we make it worth their while?

IMO...any deal now is going to be for some min salary vet/ahl journeyman that can provide some depth and can get bounced back to the AHL when our regulars are healthy.

Realistically they fill the holes from within and try and ride this out rather than make a knee-jerk reaction move now that forces them into more less-advantage moves later.
MatthewsFan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll