Published: Sep. 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,600,000
1$775,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Konecny, Travis ($1,500,000 retained)
PHI
  1. Brännström, Erik
  2. Joseph, Mathieu
  3. Kelly, Parker
  4. Kubalik, Dominik
  5. 2024 1st round pick (DET)
  6. 2025 2nd round pick (OTT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$80,940,714$0$1,850,000$2,559,286

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 5
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 8
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 7
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 2
$1,600,000$1,600,000
C
RFA - 1
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
LW
RFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD
UFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$916,667$916,667
LD
RFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$805,000$805,000
RD
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LW
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 19, 2023 at 10:21 a.m.
Absolutely love this roster, but I just don't think Philly accepts this.
GMDannyB liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 10:28 a.m.
Joe
Philly just does not take this. You're missing a quality piece.
GMDannyB liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 10:31 a.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Probably a no from philly, but man this team is right there with Buffalo if not better. I think they have that killer instinct that Buffalo lacks. They're competitive players, Buffalo is a bit soft imo. I could see Ottawa finishing second in the Atlantic, Tampa can just cruise into 3rd, then Florida takes a wild card, Boston and Buffalo compete in the blood bath for that 8 seed lmao.
GMDannyB liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.
Quoting: Kogut35
Probably a no from philly, but man this team is right there with Buffalo if not better. I think they have that killer instinct that Buffalo lacks. They're competitive players, Buffalo is a bit soft imo. I could see Ottawa finishing second in the Atlantic, Tampa can just cruise into 3rd, then Florida takes a wild card, Boston and Buffalo compete in the blood bath for that 8 seed lmao.

What more would it take to get this done? Joseph and the 2nd cancel out, Kelly is 0 value, so it's Branny + Kubalik + 1st for TK. Maybe make it 2 firsts instead of first + second?
Sep. 19, 2023 at 10:48 a.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: huntsy95
What more would it take to get this done? Joseph and the 2nd cancel out, Kelly is 0 value, so it's Branny + Kubalik + 1st for TK. Maybe make it 2 firsts instead of first + second?

Probably, I think Konecny is someone who has a higher value than we think, he's a bit underrated because of the team he's on. I'd assume Philly is looking for a higher end talent to replace him if he's traded, so maybe 2 firsts is enough plus a depth player or mid tier prospect
huntsy95 and GMDannyB liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
Danny B is here
Yeah TK starts with either two 1sts or a 1st and one of ur top prospects. I would then say Brannstrom equals the TK retention + dumping Joseph. I would do:

Tk for the 2024 1sts from you and DET
1.5 x 2 retention on TK for Brannstrom, Parker, and Joseph

If you need to or even just want to dump Kubalik in there for cap reasons idc lol that’s fine too with it without him
Sep. 19, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
Edited Sep. 19, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Flyers fans will probably say no but this is better than what DeBrincat returned

2024 1st round pick (DET) = 2024 1st round pick (DET)
Kubalik, Dominik = Kubalik, Dominik
2025 2nd round pick (OTT) > Sebrango + 4th
Brännström, Erik > nothing

Joseph, Mathieu is a solid defensive forward who is seen as a MAJOR dump on this silly site right now but might not even be overpaid as soon as this season

All that said, Philliy doesn't have to trade TK so they will try to get more from another team. Probably would have to improve the Kubalik piece to win the bid

The nuance is that Joseph takes a 2nd to dump if NO SALARY is coming back. But you're retaining 1.5 on TK which adds value. We don't need that retention

Also, Kelly doesn't have to be included, he can be sent to the AHL without costing anything on the cap

If you keep the retention, change Kubalik for Jarventie and that should be it

Very risky for Ottawa though, absolutely need to extend Konecny
Sep. 19, 2023 at 5:28 p.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit
Flyers fans will probably say no but this is better than what DeBrincat returned

2024 1st round pick (DET) = 2024 1st round pick (DET)
Kubalik, Dominik = Kubalik, Dominik
2025 2nd round pick (OTT) > Sebrango + 4th
Brännström, Erik > nothing

Joseph, Mathieu is a solid defensive forward who is seen as a MAJOR dump on this silly site right now but might not even be overpaid as soon as this season

All that said, Philliy doesn't have to trade TK so they will try to get more from another team. Probably would have to improve the Kubalik piece to win the bid

The nuance is that Joseph takes a 2nd to dump if NO SALARY is coming back. But you're retaining 1.5 on TK which adds value. We don't need that retention

Also, Kelly doesn't have to be included, he can be sent to the AHL without costing anything on the cap

If you keep the retention, change Kubalik for Jarventie and that should be it

Very risky for Ottawa though, absolutely need to extend Konecny

One thing to keep in mind when looking at any potential trades for Ottawa right now is that they are in a horrible position when it comes to leverage. Teams obviously know that they have to move someone to get Pinto deal done so it will likely come at an overall premium, whatever the deal ends up being.

Is Kelly not on a 1-way deal right now?
Sep. 19, 2023 at 6:25 p.m.
One thing to keep in mind when looking at any potential trades for Ottawa right now is that they are in a horrible position when it comes to leverage. Teams obviously know that they have to move someone to get Pinto deal done so it will likely come at an overall premium, whatever the deal ends up being.

You're not wrong but I don't know why you're talking about this here. Your proposed deal is not a cap saving trade, it's a hockey trade

Is Kelly not on a 1-way deal right now?

Yes but you can get rid of the full cap if the player has an AAV under 1.15

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/07/24/montreal-canadiens-burried-ahl-salary-could-impact-habs-waivers-joel-armia-christian-dvorak-mike-hoffman/

The amount of salary cap relief provided by assigning a player to the AHL is the league minimum plus the buried threshold.

In 2023-24, the NHL league minimum salary will be $775,000 (CBA (11.12.a) and the buried threshold will be $375,000, which means teams can bury up to $1.15 million in the AHL.
Sep. 20, 2023 at 11:31 a.m.
Edited Sep. 20, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit
You're not wrong but I don't know why you're talking about this here. Your proposed deal is not a cap saving trade, it's a hockey trade

Yes but you can get rid of the full cap if the player has an AAV under 1.15

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/07/24/montreal-canadiens-burried-ahl-salary-could-impact-habs-waivers-joel-armia-christian-dvorak-mike-hoffman/

The amount of salary cap relief provided by assigning a player to the AHL is the league minimum plus the buried threshold.

In 2023-24, the NHL league minimum salary will be $775,000 (CBA (11.12.a) and the buried threshold will be $375,000, which means teams can bury up to $1.15 million in the AHL.

Interesting - thanks for sharing.

What are your thoughts on the best course of action regarding the Pinto situation? The main names being thrown out there are Branny, Jo and Kubalik and I don't think there are any ideal outcomes but I personally wouldn't mind the notion of trading Forsberg and running Korpisalo/Soogard. Just not sure what type of value Forsberg holds around the league based on the injury concern. Let me know which takes you agree or disagree with most below...

Joseph: The obvious answer based on his cap + where he would slot in the lineup. Would be the worst trade value-wise as you would have to give a sweetener. I do still think he has upside as a player and can't get any worse than he was last year so I think he could be due for a bounce-back year. Do you trust Greig enough to play full-time on the 3rd line and have Joseph on the fourth? If he is still here he would likely be on the fourth line and I think that spot can be filled with one of Sokolov/Jarventie/Smejkal without much of a drop-off.

Brannstrom: Like the player but with our top 4 being set for the next few years he will always be on the bottom pair and I think Kleven a great fit there anyway so wouldn't mind losing him. You could also get some value in return on a trade as opposed to Jo.

Kubalik: I would like to keep him as I think he could put up 20+ playing with Pinto and Greig on the third.

Overall I think Dorion has to bite the bullet and trade Joseph with a sweetener. This team is built to win right now so losing a draft pick should not be a major blocker.
Sep. 21, 2023 at 6:10 p.m.
Interesting - thanks for sharing.

What are your thoughts on the best course of action regarding the Pinto situation? The main names being thrown out there are Branny, Jo and Kubalik and I don't think there are any ideal outcomes but I personally wouldn't mind the notion of trading Forsberg and running Korpisalo/Soogard. Just not sure what type of value Forsberg holds around the league based on the injury concern. Let me know which takes you agree or disagree with most below...

Joseph: The obvious answer based on his cap + where he would slot in the lineup. Would be the worst trade value-wise as you would have to give a sweetener. I do still think he has upside as a player and can't get any worse than he was last year so I think he could be due for a bounce-back year. Do you trust Greig enough to play full-time on the 3rd line and have Joseph on the fourth? If he is still here he would likely be on the fourth line and I think that spot can be filled with one of Sokolov/Jarventie/Smejkal without much of a drop-off.

Brannstrom: Like the player but with our top 4 being set for the next few years he will always be on the bottom pair and I think Kleven a great fit there anyway so wouldn't mind losing him. You could also get some value in return on a trade as opposed to Jo.

Kubalik: I would like to keep him as I think he could put up 20+ playing with Pinto and Greig on the third.

Overall I think Dorion has to bite the bullet and trade Joseph with a sweetener. This team is built to win right now so losing a draft pick should not be a major blocker.

Sorry for the delay

My thoughts are simple : trade Kubalik for whatever you can get. If you deem the return as poor, retain a bit on his AAV to augment his value

He won't get PP time and he's the type of forward who needs PP to produce. Joseph is quite better defensively and is a Top PK forward in the NHL. The cap crunch and his down season results in him having negative value right now. It'd much smarter to keep him and let him bounce back to be a positive asset again, as the cap rises next season

There's no ideal outcome, it'd be nice to have everybody but the 5 M$ in dead cap doesn't allow it. Someone has to be sacrificed.

Forsberg could be an option if Sogaard was 100% NHL ready but he's not, it's important to not rush players, even less young goalies. Also, Forsberg is the one that convinced Korpisalo to sign in Ottawa so he's not going to be moved. His injuries should be behind him although we never know with injuries. He's 100% healthy right now

Back to Joseph, did you know that he wrecked a 3v3 league this summer? It's a league full of NHLers, like Suzuki, Letang, Dubois, Perron, etc. He scored 25 goals in 7 games, double than the 2 best scorer. He's dialed in to bounce back

Greig is going to be an excellent 2-way forward and it won't take time. In his 20 games sample, he had excellent metrics both ways. He absolutely should be in the top-9

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Tarasenko
Joseph - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Giroux

Some people would say "Giroux on the 3rd line?" Well it doesn't matter much as he'd still be on PP1 but him mentoring the 2 young guys could pay off big time for this franchise. Tarasenko need to produce to be valuable so he's in the spot to do so with Tkachuk and Stutzle. Joseph with his speed and forecheck would dig pucks for Norris and Batherson who are a deadly duo together. That could seriously boost Joseph's value which gives us even more options for next season. This way you can roll 3 lines equally without blinking an eye. I believe it would give matchup problems to many teams

Trading Brannstrom makes sense with Kleven coming up but there's no rush in the sense that it wouldn't be a bad idea to let Kleven get a bit of pro experience in the AHL. I hope they are going to trade him smartly for a young forward with a bit of upside. I would targeted Eeli Tolvanen last season but that boat has sank now.

I'd be surprised if Kubalik scores 20 because of the limited PP time he'd get. He became redundant when the Sens signed Tarasenko

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll