Standings predictions description

Created by: dons_weeney
Team: 2023-24 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 11, 2023
Published: Oct. 11, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Only for notable teams:

Ottawa: By far the best young core in the league. They're not soft like Buffalo, Anaheim, etc. Much better than any other team in the Atlantic, aside from Toronto.

Florida: I know it's a bit low for considering what this team is: one year removed presidents trophy winners, team who knocked out the best regular season team in NHL history, and made it to the final a few months ago. I apologize to Panthers fans, this is just unfair. However, Tampa: best star power in the division and 2 recent cups plus another final. They're ready to go again. Buffalo: second best scoring team in the league. Ottawa: best young core/depth in the league, and very competitive nature. Toronto: most stacked team in the league by far. Star power, and depth.

Boston: refer to my above points. How on earth can they hang with those teams? Boston is a 2/3 seed in any other division, but 6th in the Atlantic imo. Lots of players in/entering prime age. Really good team, will be a waste of a year in this stacked division. I feel bad for whoever ends up in this spot.

Detroit: Most overrated up and coming team, by far. They're horribly built, although they've done the best they can. I feel bad for Wings fans. Awful drafting, they need a high pick in order to be successful. They're in no mans land. Again, if they're in another division they might be alright, but come on, being realistic, they're a bottom dweller here.

Calgary: Recency bias is insane from what I'm seeing. This team is really good. Good young talent, good talent in the prime age, and good vet talent. Markstrom as a Vezina candidate, and now they have the swiffer goalie in the AHL if needed.

Seattle: Shooting% was very high last year, they'll come back down to earth a little.

Vancouver: Overrated. Mid team for sure. I feel bad for Canucks fans.

Metro: The entire metro is self explanatory, seems to be a consensus.

Central: Also seems to be a consensus.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
32$83,500,000$172,346,273$0$720,000-$88,846,273
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$805,000$805,000
RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$7,142,857$7,142,857
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the New York Rangers
$828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$11,250,000$11,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the New York Islanders
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$8,800,000$8,800,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$9,059,000$9,059,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:21 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: csick
Norris and Pinto Miss 1-2 games max

I feel for Norris, he's such a talented player. Hope he recovers and stays healthy.
csick liked this.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: MoSeider53
I find it hysterical that a Bruins fan would call a young up a coming Red Wings team overrated. Boston will shortly be where we are at. And your prospect pool is among the worst in the NHL. Detroit has lots of young up and coming talent in the next 1-2 years. Your core is aging even on D.

What does this have to do with the Bruins? Boston COULD be where Detroit is in a few years, I guess. I doubt it, but who knows, that's entirely irrelevant to this post lol, we're not comparing teams futures. Detroits doesn't look too bright, and Bostons is a bit unclear, but at least Boston has high end talent locked up plus Poitras and Lohrei coming in. Detroit has good prospects too, I'm not denying that.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Norris and Pinto Miss 1-2 games max

We will see! Feel like that shoulder will hinder him all year though. Hope pinto is back soon!
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:24 p.m.
Another Detroit hater lol.

Detroit: Most overrated up and coming team, by far.
- Picked to finish 7th in the Atlantic = overrated I guess.

They're horribly built, although they've done the best they can.
- Please elaborate because that is a funny statement.

I feel bad for Wings fans.
- Aw thanks man, it is tough being a fan of an original 6 team with a great history and multiple championships.

Awful drafting, they need a high pick in order to be successful.
- Holland, yes... SY, no. Also tough to have the same success when they can't win the lottery. Even without the luck, Detroit has a top end prospect system.

They're in no mans land. Again, if they're in another division they might be alright, but come on, being realistic, they're a bottom dweller here.
- No man's land? They won Cups, then tried to keep the streak alive. Holland burned prospect/draft pieces forcing a longer rebuild for SY to clean up.

If you don't like the Wings, that is fine and very apparent. Maybe just do a little more research before spouting off nonsense.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
I find it hysterical that a Bruins fan would call a young up a coming Red Wings team overrated. Boston will shortly be where we are at. And your prospect pool is among the worst in the NHL. Detroit has lots of young up and coming talent in the next 1-2 years. Your core is aging even on D.

To be fair beyond the 1C position Boston is stacked, yea their prospect pool is weak but they don’t need much. And next year they can move Ullmark and with the 6.5 mil bonus overage gone plus the cap increase that spot could be upgraded and they could be back to contender next year.
dons_weeney liked this.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: CoachCoach
Another Detroit hater lol.

Detroit: Most overrated up and coming team, by far.
- Picked to finish 7th in the Atlantic = overrated I guess.

They're horribly built, although they've done the best they can.
- Please elaborate because that is a funny statement.

I feel bad for Wings fans.
- Aw thanks man, it is tough being a fan of an original 6 team with a great history and multiple championships.

Awful drafting, they need a high pick in order to be successful.
- Holland, yes... SY, no. Also tough to have the same success when they can't win the lottery. Even without the luck, Detroit has a top end prospect system.

They're in no mans land. Again, if they're in another division they might be alright, but come on, being realistic, they're a bottom dweller here.
- No man's land? They won Cups, then tried to keep the streak alive. Holland burned prospect/draft pieces forcing a longer rebuild for SY to clean up.

If you don't like the Wings, that is fine and very apparent. Maybe just do a little more research before spouting off nonsense.

I respect the wings. It's not their fault they get shafted every draft and watch all the other original 6 teams select first overall, then Buf and NJ get double 1st picks.

Detroit is built to be an average team. That just isn't enough considering the young talent in the Atlantic.

Detroit does have a great history, they're just put in a bad spot right now. Good drafting for where they're picking, but they need higher picks.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:41 p.m.
Quoting: Kogut35
I respect the wings. It's not their fault they get shafted every draft and watch all the other original 6 teams select first overall, then Buf and NJ get double 1st picks.

Detroit is built to be an average team. That just isn't enough considering the young talent in the Atlantic.

Detroit does have a great history, they're just put in a bad spot right now. Good drafting for where they're picking, but they need higher picks.

They won't get the chance, as that came and went in 2020.

You said "horribly built," now you are saying "built to be average."

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4372069 (just in case you want to learn about the Wings current state of affairs).
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: CoachCoach
They won't get the chance, as that came and went in 2020.

You said "horribly built," now you are saying "built to be average."

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4372069 (just in case you want to learn about the Wings current state of affairs).

Agreed, they're not good enough to make the playoffs, but of course they've added enough to not be bad - they're not built to be a horrible team, but they're horribly built to have playoff hopes.

I'm not a wings hater, I just try to be critical. I'm the same way with my Bruins - I have them in 6th lmao.

I'd love to see the Wings beat out Ottawa and Buffalo. Buffalo is only good because they were so bad, (gifted 2 1st overall picks, and a plethora of top 10 picks) and Ottawa, I can respect a bit more, but as a Bruins fan I gotta root against Canadian teams.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:54 p.m.
Quoting: Kogut35
Agreed, they're not good enough to make the playoffs, but of course they've added enough to not be bad - they're not built to be a horrible team, but they're horribly built to have playoff hopes.

I'm not a wings hater, I just try to be critical. I'm the same way with my Bruins - I have them in 6th lmao.

I'd love to see the Wings beat out Ottawa and Buffalo. Buffalo is only good because they were so bad, (gifted 2 1st overall picks, and a plethora of top 10 picks) and Ottawa, I can respect a bit more, but as a Bruins fan I gotta root against Canadian teams.

Most rebuilding teams are not good enough to make playoffs correct. When Danielson, Edvinsson, Kasper, ASP, Wallinder, Soderblom, Mazur, and other prospects make the team however, hopefully they will. If not, then it can be stated they were/are not well built.

Also for the record, Buffalo seems to me like the scariest team on the rise.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:56 p.m.
Rip
laugh laugh What a joke, Sorry but Ottawa isn't the 2nd best team in the Atlantic. Their Goaltending is still suspect can Korpisalo even stay healthy. Calling Montreal better than Detroit is totally delusional. Detroit's bottom 6 is one of the best in the league. Yeah our D is still suspects but Ghost will definitely help. Buffalo i can see in 2nd at best Ottawa is barely a wild card team.

If you have a really good bottom 6 but no top 6, what does it matter?
Oct. 11, 2023 at 4:59 p.m.
Rip
Ottawa has a terrible coach and his system is trash. They will "work hard" and be annoying to play against but when push comes to shove they will continue to give up loads of grade a chances and against better teams with really good systems, they will give up too many goals. Ottawa is going to start slow and then will fire their coach. The sooner it happens the more likely it is they make the playoffs but if it's not for 20-30 games they will be way too far back.

As badly as some want to see major shake up in the Atlantic, it's not going to happen. Boston isn't going to lose 40+ points off last year's record. Remember what everyone said last season when Marchand, McAvoy and Bergeron started the year injured? Yeah betting that they will fall apart is silly.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 5:56 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
Ottawa has a terrible coach and his system is trash. They will "work hard" and be annoying to play against but when push comes to shove they will continue to give up loads of grade a chances and against better teams with really good systems, they will give up too many goals. Ottawa is going to start slow and then will fire their coach. The sooner it happens the more likely it is they make the playoffs but if it's not for 20-30 games they will be way too far back.

As badly as some want to see major shake up in the Atlantic, it's not going to happen. Boston isn't going to lose 40+ points off last year's record. Remember what everyone said last season when Marchand, McAvoy and Bergeron started the year injured? Yeah betting that they will fall apart is silly.

But replace Smith with what coach? I've just started to get into the NFL so here's the reference I'll make... Replacing any coach currently available in the market for DJ Smith is like replacing Jimmy G with Derek Carr, two average, low upside quarterbacks being replaced by each other... It's not really going to do anything...
Oct. 11, 2023 at 6:54 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
But replace Smith with what coach? I've just started to get into the NFL so here's the reference I'll make... Replacing any coach currently available in the market for DJ Smith is like replacing Jimmy G with Derek Carr, two average, low upside quarterbacks being replaced by each other... It's not really going to do anything...

No. There are lots of coaches that would be better than DJ Smith
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 8:49 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
No. There are lots of coaches that would be better than DJ Smith

Yeah, Derek Carr is slightly better than Jimmy G as well... But neither will affect the Sens roster that much

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll