Team: 2023-24 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 13, 2023
Published: Oct. 13, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
SJS
VGK
    Thrun Bordeleau Eklund
    - Each looked good, I would rank their performances Eklund 1, Thrun 2, Bordeleau 3. Eklund imo should be on Zadinas and Herls line. The Sharks surely would have had two goals from that line. Thrun had plenty of mistakes but nothing due to being a bad player. Just evident youth mistakes (strong armed, stumbles, fumbles). He’s clearly the Sharks best defender in terms of where he could land. His prowess in both ends shows consistently. Bordeleau played good but wasn’t very noticeable compared to the other two, but he competed very well and I don’t have much criticism.

Zadina; early candidate for best off-season deal?
    - Zadina had a fantastic debut. Obviously a great goal, which only feeds his confidence. You almost always knew when he was on the ice (#18 for SJS), and I really like his saucer pass. He opted to use the saucer nearly dozen times and he created many chances. As chemistry develops more with his new time I’d only guess it will result in more assists/ offence.
    He was one of the best players on the ice (including VGK players; the Knights players were by far better overall than the Sharks obviously).

Kaapo Kahkonen
    - I can’t say he had a bad game but he didn’t have an amazing game. He played good, that five hole goal was one he NEEDS to have and it made a difference to where it broke the Sharks right then.

Zetterlund and Duclair
    - They both had decent showings. Zetterlund has some real potential to be a serviceable mid6 and Duclair just had a slow night but not much you can do.

Who I didn’t like/ issues
    - Hoffman was not brutal. But he needs to show some offensive threat to be serviceable (does need to score every night but needs to get looks and he didnt). Rutta just had a bad night and bad luck. Looking to see a better game. Smith had plenty of give aways. Barabanov surprisingly did not have a good night, need to see more from him.

For the next game - I’d change the line up as follows.
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$79,575,001$25,000$1,062,500$3,924,999
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW
    RFA - 3
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $916,667$916,667
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $1,450,000$1,450,000
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $912,500$912,500 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,350,000$2,350,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Oct. 13, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
    I was more positive on Hoffman than you, thought he looked decent but yea I want to see that shot more!
    The Dulcair Barbi Bordeleau line looked off, but I want to give them 1-2 more games. 100%! Agree with an Eklund Zadina Hertl line!
    Next game I want to see Labanc swap in for Smtih,
    And on D I want to see Embersom and or Knyzhov slide in. We should rotate players in an out of the lineup IMO. I feel it’s not healthy to sit players multiple games in a row unless they are hurt or slumping!
    yikes liked this.
    Oct. 13, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.
    go Sharks go
    Agree w/ a lot of what you said...
    Eklund needs a better shooter on his line. gave a lot of solid feeds to Kunin who couldn't even get his stick on the puck, let alone finish it. I actually didn't hate Kunin's game, though. Skill level might not have been there but effort was definitely there. First game back so hopefully he improves. Agree w/ Thrun/Bordeleau as well.
    I don't think Duclair had a good game, though. Him and Barabanov on that line just weren't noticeable, Bordeleau might have been that line's best player. Zetterlund's compete looked really good, and I liked that he was just shooting and trying to get pucks on net. Really frustrating when guys take forever to look for the perfect chance and end up without even a shot.
    Agree w/ Hoffman but didn't think Rutta was that bad. Not really noticeable, but for him, a defensive-defenseman, that's not that bad.
    I thought Smith was good. High effort, especially on the forecheck, and just high pace and physicality. Exactly what I'd want on the 4th line.

I like your top line, but think Kunin needs to get bumped down. Will still get good toi on the 3rd line, but not top 6 (at least for now).
    I would also keep Thrun w/ Rutta cause I just think Rutta is a lot better of a player and you want good players with Thrun to help him develop.
    I would run ...
    Eklund-Hertl-Zadina
    Hoffman-Granlund-Barabanov
    Duclair-Bordeleau-Kunin
    Smith-Sturm-Zetterlund
    Ferraro-Benning
    Thrun-Rutta
    Vlasic-Burroughs
    Kahkonen
    sharcuda22 liked this.
    Oct. 13, 2023 at 3:14 p.m.
    sharcuda22
    Quoting: SJSGM
    Eklund needs a better shooter on his line. gave a lot of solid feeds to Kunin who couldn't even get his stick on the puck, let alone finish it. I actually didn't hate Kunin's game, though. Skill level might not have been there but effort was definitely there. First game back so hopefully he improves. Agree w/ Thrun/Bordeleau as well.
    I don't think Duclair had a good game, though. Him and Barabanov on that line just weren't noticeable, Bordeleau might have been that line's best player. Zetterlund's compete looked really good, and I liked that he was just shooting and trying to get pucks on net. Really frustrating when guys take forever to look for the perfect chance and end up without even a shot.
    Agree w/ Hoffman but didn't think Rutta was that bad. Not really noticeable, but for him, a defensive-defenseman, that's not that bad.
    I thought Smith was good. High effort, especially on the forecheck, and just high pace and physicality. Exactly what I'd want on the 4th line.

I like your top line, but think Kunin needs to get bumped down. Will still get good toi on the 3rd line, but not top 6 (at least for now).
    I would also keep Thrun w/ Rutta cause I just think Rutta is a lot better of a player and you want good players with Thrun to help him develop.
    I would run ...
    Eklund-Hertl-Zadina
    Duclair-Bordeleau-Kunin
    Smith-Sturm-Zetterlund
    Ferraro-Benning
    Thrun-Rutta
    Vlasic-Burroughs
    Kahkonen

This. If our org had any balls they would sit vlassic for Knyzhov. I didn't think vlassic had the best game yesterday (and he had the worst game score).
    Oct. 13, 2023 at 3:25 p.m.
    I'll be that guy that disagrees with Eklund Hertl Zadina. Eklund looked smothered, gave up the puck from losing battles, and was forced to ditch the puck a lot. He needs some time to build chemistry with someone else. Not sure its best to put him on 1st line at this point over other reclamation project vets or Barbie
    Oct. 13, 2023 at 3:47 p.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Quoting: Rob32sjsharks
    I was more positive on Hoffman than you, thought he looked decent but yea I want to see that shot more!
    The Dulcair Barbi Bordeleau line looked off, but I want to give them 1-2 more games. 100%! Agree with an Eklund Zadina Hertl line!
    Next game I want to see Labanc swap in for Smtih,
    And on D I want to see Embersom and or Knyzhov slide in. We should rotate players in an out of the lineup IMO. I feel it’s not healthy to sit players multiple games in a row unless they are hurt or slumping!

Knyzhov should be playing over Vlasic but I think it would cause internal distress and locker room issues (I could see Hertl and Couture being hounded over questions about Vlasic being scratched and Vlasic would more then guaranteed voice disapproval with the Media).

Quoting: SJSGM

I would run ...
    Eklund-Hertl-Zadina
    Duclair-Bordeleau-Kunin
    Smith-Sturm-Zetterlund
    Ferraro-Benning
    Thrun-Rutta
    Vlasic-Burroughs
    Kahkonen

I think Kunin had a good game but he just whiffed what like 7 times? He could tied or put the Sharks ahead but he never quite struck. So if Eklund stays with him and Granlund I wouldn’t be bothered but Kunin has to finish the grade A scoring chances hes being fed. He was 0-5(to 7) and that can’t be come regular.

Quoting: poeticentropy
    I'll be that guy that disagrees with Eklund Hertl Zadina. Eklund looked smothered, gave up the puck from losing battles, and was forced to ditch the puck a lot. He needs some time to build chemistry with someone else. Not sure its best to put him on 1st line at this point over other reclamation project vets or Barbie

While Eklund did get smothered, he was playing the leagues biggest and arguably best D core/ team (couple guys out but the knights still keep their size and work level). Eklund was also the only player on his line driving play and getting pucks and succeeded in PP entries. He’s not big yet he worked hard and drove play and the two bigger players in Granlund and Kunin got fed off Eklund. I think he handled it great. Granlund and Kunin had good games; but I don’t see them as long term Sharks. Eklund should build chemistry with:

- Long term players
    - players who can finish
    - good players to build his confidence and teach him

Who else is better than the top line?

Hertl can finish, create, lead, and is long term. Zadina looked greater, can create, and looks like long term if he keeps this up. Eklund would immediately fit in - he’s a play creator. Hertl can create and score and be physical, and retrieve pucks as well to ease the workload of Eklund.

Overall.

Eklund - Hertl - Zadina
    Bords/ Couture/ Someone - Couture/ Bords/ Smith - Someone
    Someone/ Bords - Smith/ Bords - Someone

Is the current core of SJS imo.
    SJSGM liked this.
    Oct. 13, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
    go Sharks go
    Quoting: sharcuda22
    This. If our org had any balls they would sit vlassic for Knyzhov. I didn't think vlassic had the best game yesterday (and he had the worst game score).

didn't think Vlasic was bad, but would definitely agree that I'd rather have Knyzhov (or even Emberson) in for Vlasic
    Oct. 13, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
    Was wondering, why is Barbs NOT in the top 6, or are they just waiting for Cooch to come back?
    Oct. 14, 2023 at 4:46 a.m.
    train, train
    Agreed with everything but man oh man Kunin was pretty terrible or at best just 'meh' last night. I'd like to see him scratched for Labanc in this lineup.

Although this is all academic since Granlund's out now for a week at least.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll