Forums/Armchair-GM

Helping OTT Sign Pinto

Created by: KingofRnR
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 20, 2023
Published: Oct. 20, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
OTT’s Loaded with LD’s and this gives them more time to Trade either Kubalik or Joseph, if Kylington ever returns
Trades
CGY
  1. Bernard-Docker, Jacob
  2. Brännström, Erik
  3. Kastelic, Mark
  4. 2024 4th round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Conditional 4th RD Pick Payable if Kylington Returns and Plays 5+ Regular and/or Playoff Games
OTT
  1. Gilbert, Dennis ($381,250 retained)
  2. Kylington, Oliver
  3. Pospisil, Martin
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Really like Gilbert, but Brannstrom is an Upgrade and Potential Long-Term Replacement for Hanifin
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$76,328,750$0$850,000$7,171,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$805,000$805,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 20, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
TrevorA
I didn’t think much of Brannstrom, but @Ledge&Dairy likes him and with the Kylington situation, maybe there’s an opportunity for CGY to take advantage of OTT’s Pinto situation at the same time as well
Oct. 20, 2023 at 6:32 p.m.
Simplify this. Brannstrom to Calgary for a pick and a contract under 1M (Oesterle for example)

No reason to include Kylington as his contract doesn't help Ottawa at all
Oct. 20, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
sensonfire
This trade is a hot mess for Ottawa and it heavily favours Calgary.

Ottawa declines.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 6:39 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Simplify this. Brannstrom to Calgary for a pick and a contract under 1M (Oesterle for example)

No reason to include Kylington as his contract doesn't help Ottawa at all

That would only open up $1-1.25mil for OTT, unless they immediately waived the player we send them I guess, but that’s still only $2mil out and they need to come up with at least $2.5mil for Pinto. AND we’d then have cap issues if Kylington returned…. OTT likely still intends to move Kubalik, in which case they’d have the Cap Space should Kylington ever return

I’ve had my eye on Former Calgary Hitmen Kastelic for awhile and we could use more depth at RD, so bringing JBD, who is pretty much a Fringe NHL’er/Waiver Fodder at this time, closer to home might be a nice change of scenery and new opportunity for him. Besides, they still have Lassi Thomson
Oct. 20, 2023 at 7:02 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: sensonfire
This trade is a hot mess for Ottawa and it heavily favours Calgary.

Ottawa declines.

That’s certainly debatable.

Question, do you want Pinto happy and in the lineup or do you not care!? Should he just sit at home until Dorion is finally good & ready to pay assets to another Team to help them out!?
Oct. 20, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: KingofRnR

Question, do you want Pinto happy and in the lineup or do you not care!? Should he just sit at home until Dorion is finally good & ready to pay assets to another Team to help them out!?

1. We want Pinto back in the lineup under a scenario that makes sense.

Your scenario doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

2. If signing Pinto means making a trade, we will do so if the trade does not harm our interests.

This trade harms our interests, given that it's a hot mess.

For instance, when is Kylington coming back from LTIR ??

3. There are 30 other teams to trade with.

We are not going to be coerced into making a trade with Calgary because some random Flames fan threw a bunch of junk into an AGM to see what would stick.

Ottawa declines.

Try again.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 8:33 p.m.
TrevorA

This trade harms our interests

You’ll have to explain how this Trade harms OTT’s interest when they’d be inserting Pinto in to the lineup and ending the delay and frustrations

Who cares if/when Kylington returns. Brannstrom is the only thing of value returning to the Flames and a 2nd + Gilbert 50% retained is more than fair. Not very many ppl are high on Brannstrom these days
Oct. 20, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
That would only open up $1-1.25mil for OTT, unless they immediately waived the player we send them I guess, but that’s still only $2mil out and they need to come up with at least $2.5mil for Pinto. AND we’d then have cap issues if Kylington returned…. OTT likely still intends to move Kubalik, in which case they’d have the Cap Space should Kylington ever return

I’ve had my eye on Former Calgary Hitmen Kastelic for awhile and we could use more depth at RD, so bringing JBD, who is pretty much a Fringe NHL’er/Waiver Fodder at this time, closer to home might be a nice change of scenery and new opportunity for him. Besides, they still have Lassi Thomson

Well wasting a retention spot on 380k is pretty much irrelevant cap wise. No matter what Ottawa will have to shorten their bench if they decide moving Brannstrom is the right choice to fit Pinto

If Ottawa intends to move Kubalik they won't even bother with trading Brannstrom. Right now Kylington sits as a problem, his trade value until he plays is negative. There is no reason for any other team to consider taking on that uncertainty unless they have more than enough cap space to fit him already
sensonfire and Xspyrit liked this.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 9:02 p.m.
sensonfire
You’ll have to explain how this Trade harms OTT’s interest when they’d be inserting Pinto in to the lineup and ending the delay and frustrations

Who cares if/when Kylington returns. Brannstrom is the only thing of value returning to the Flames and a 2nd + Gilbert 50% retained is more than fair. Not very many ppl are high on Brannstrom these days

If Kylington returns at any point during the season, Ottawa assumes his cap hit.

That would put Ottawa over the cap.

Of course, you wouldn't care because it wouldn't be Calgary's problem anymore ...

Ledge_And_Dairy is also trying to talk some sense into you and you're not listening ...
Oct. 20, 2023 at 9:05 p.m.
TrevorA
Well wasting a retention spot on 380k is pretty much irrelevant cap wise. No matter what Ottawa will have to shorten their bench if they decide moving Brannstrom is the right choice to fit Pinto

If Ottawa intends to move Kubalik they won't even bother with trading Brannstrom. Right now Kylington sits as a problem, his trade value until he plays is negative. There is no reason for any other team to consider taking on that uncertainty unless they have more than enough cap space to fit him already

You’ll have to check out the other post of this trade in reverse and you’ll see how tight it is already with 21 players

Kubalik makes the most sense to move, but they haven’t been able to…. so Brannstrom is the next most logical trade piece considering Joseph is playing well right now

I’m any event, I tried one for you Ledge, but I don’t even think this one’s that good for CGY. Gilbert’s playing pretty good hockey right now

I can accept Kylington has no value, but I don’t agree he has negative value. He doesn’t affect anything while on LTIR and could return and take off where he left off. It’s a lottery pick up with little to no risk AFAIC
Oct. 20, 2023 at 9:10 p.m.
TrevorA
If Kylington returns at any point during the season, Ottawa assumes his cap hit.

That would put Ottawa over the cap.

Of course, you wouldn't care because it wouldn't be Calgary's problem anymore ...

Ledge_And_Dairy is also trying to talk some sense into you and you're not listening ...

Again, so what!? A Healthy Kylington > Brannstrom and Kubalik

I clearly said it allows the Sens to get Pinto and the lineup and gives them more time to make other moves that are hopefully more favourable than having to pay to dump a player. The likelihood of Kylington returning is not very high imo

It’s a Fair Trade in my eyes, but you’re free to think of it however you like, no sweat off my sac
Talking_Senators liked this.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 9:27 p.m.
Edited Oct. 20, 2023 at 9:36 p.m.

Trading Brannstrom is useless as it opens only 1.225 AAV AT MOST because someone need to replace his spot on the roster.

Giving up Brannstrom, Kastelic, JBD and a 4th for a 2nd is not interesting at all. Plus the Sens would be adding the Kylington problem... if he returns then have to clear another 2.5 AAV

If the Sens move Kubalik, then they don't need to move Brannstrom who is actually quite important on defense because Kleven is not fully ready and he`s the only one who could play Top-4 if there is an injury and actually do well

This trades serves Calgary's interest as you list, but not Ottawa's

Pass.

This doesn`t get Pinto in the lineup at all.

You’ll have to explain how this Trade harms OTT’s interest when they’d be inserting Pinto in to the lineup and ending the delay and frustrations.

Brannstrom is the Sens #5 and one of the best 3rd pairing D-man in the league, he just turned 24 y/o

Kastelic is the Sens 4th line C and was Top-12 in FO% as a rookie. He's huge and initimidating

JBD and a 4th is worth maybe a 3rd

So Brannstrom + Kastelic + 3rd for a 2nd? It harms our interests and doesn't even create the cap space needed to sign Pinto WHILE making the defense and bottom-6 depth much worse

Kubalik makes the most sense to move, but they haven’t been able to…. so Brannstrom is the next most logical trade piece considering Joseph is playing well right now

You can't make assumptions based on a lack of information. As far as we know, Dorion has not even tried to trade Kubalik so maybe he's just not there yet (even if he should have been for a while)
sensonfire liked this.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 9:32 p.m.
sensonfire
Again, so what!? A Healthy Kylington > Brannstrom and Kubalik

I clearly said it allows the Sens to get Pinto and the lineup and gives them more time to make other moves that are hopefully more favourable than having to pay to dump a player. The likelihood of Kylington returning is not very high imo

It’s a Fair Trade in my eyes, but you’re free to think of it however you like, no sweat off my sac

1. Kubalik isn't in this trade, so your comparison is irrelevant.

2. Ottawa doesn't want Kylington and I'm sorry you're struggling to understand that.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 9:36 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: Xspyrit
Trading Brannstrom is useless as it opens only 1.225 AAV AT MOST because someone need to replace his spot on the roster.

Giving up Brannstrom, Kastelic, JBD and a 4th for a 2nd is not interesting at all. Plus the Sens would be adding the Kylington problem... if he returns then have to clear another 2.5 AAV

If the Sens move Kubalik, then they don't need to move Brannstrom who is actually quite important on defense because Kleven is not fully ready and he`s the only one who could play Top-4 if there is an injury and actually do well

This trades serves Calgary's interest as you list, but not Ottawa's

Pass.

This doesn`t get Pinto in the lineup at all.

Brannstrom is the Sens #5 and one of the best 3rd pairing D-man in the league, he just turned 24 y/o

Kastelic is the Sens 4th line C and was Top-12 in FO% as a rookie. He's huge and initimidating

JBD and a 4th is worth maybe a 3rd

So Brannstrom + Kastelic + 3rd for a 2nd? It harms our interests and doesn't even create the cap space needed to sign Pinto WHILE making the defense much worse

Yes it does, see here: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4651238

Anyways, don’t worry about it. I don’t even want Brannstrom. I’d prefer to keep Gilbert now. That’s exactly why I want Kastelic and JBD doesn’t really have any value at the moment actually, he’s a Waiver pickup
Oct. 20, 2023 at 9:37 p.m.
TrevorA
1. Kubalik isn't in this trade, so your comparison is irrelevant.

2. Ottawa doesn't want Kylington and I'm sorry you're struggling to understand that.

Trust me, I really don’t care, I’m sorry you’re struggling to accept that 🤷‍♂️
Talking_Senators liked this.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 10:09 p.m.
You’ll have to check out the other post of this trade in reverse and you’ll see how tight it is already with 21 players

I’m any event, I tried one for you Ledge, but I don’t even think this one’s that good for CGY. Gilbert’s playing pretty good hockey right now

I can accept Kylington has no value, but I don’t agree he has negative value. He doesn’t affect anything while on LTIR and could return and take off where he left off. It’s a lottery pick up with little to no risk AFAIC

I agree on Kubalik being the best option for trading but he will likely cost assets to move. Brannstrom makes sense because he doesn't have negative value.

It's also worth noting that as long as Ottawa isn't using LTIR they will accrue cap space as the season goes on. That will lead to a prorated cap hit for whenever Pinto signs too.

Kylington has negative value to any team that can not fit him under the cap when healthy. Ottawa is one of those teams. The uncertainty around him makes him very difficult to move and with so many teams right up against the cap the amount of actual suitors is very limited.
KingofRnR and sensonfire liked this.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
TrevorA
I agree on Kubalik being the best option for trading but he will likely cost assets to move. Brannstrom makes sense because he doesn't have negative value.

It's also worth noting that as long as Ottawa isn't using LTIR they will accrue cap space as the season goes on. That will lead to a prorated cap hit for whenever Pinto signs too.

Kylington has negative value to any team that can not fit him under the cap when healthy. Ottawa is one of those teams. The uncertainty around him makes him very difficult to move and with so many teams right up against the cap the amount of actual suitors is very limited.

Makes sense and I’m fine with all that

In the meantime, Pinto continues to sit out…
Oct. 20, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
Yes it does, see here: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4651238

Anyways, don’t worry about it. I don’t even want Brannstrom. I’d prefer to keep Gilbert now. That’s exactly why I want Kastelic and JBD doesn’t really have any value at the moment actually, he’s a Waiver pickup

Yes I commented there as well...

Why would Ottawa make this trade instead of SIMPLY trading the UFA-to-be Kubalik if it is to play him on the 4th line?

All that for a 2nd? Makes the defense worse, makes the bottom-6 worse and add a POTENTIAL problem in Kyllington?

I agree on Kubalik being the best option for trading but he will likely cost assets to move.

Why would Kubalik cost assets to move? 1 year, 2.5 AAV, scored 20 goals and 45 pts last season which is the same production as Dube and just 10 pts off Huberdeau. 2 more pts than Mangiapane.. who makes 5.8 AAV for 2 years. Imagine what it would cost to move them...
sensonfire liked this.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 10:17 p.m.
TrevorA
Yes I commented there as well...

Why would Ottawa make this trade instead of SIMPLY trading the UFA-to-be Kubalik if it is to play him on the 4th line?

All that for a 2nd? Makes the defense worse, makes the bottom-6 worse and add a POTENTIAL problem in Kyllington?

Maybe, maybe not. Does adding Pinto really make the Bottom 6 worse!? I think Gilbert would surprise you. OTT could probably use a tough guy like him too and he ain’t too shabby in every other facet of the game

Yes, they should move Kubalik. What’s taking so long already!? Maybe nobody wants him!? Anyways, just an idea. You can love it or hate it all you want my friend
Oct. 20, 2023 at 10:26 p.m.
Maybe, maybe not. Does adding Pinto really make the Bottom 6 worse!? I think Gilbert would surprise you. OTT could probably use a tough guy like him too and he ain’t too shabby in every other facet of the game

Yes, they should move Kubalik. What’s taking so long already!? Maybe nobody wants him!? Anyways, just an idea. You can love it or hate it all you want my friend

Finally some good points, I shouldn't have said bottom-6 because it includes Pinto line but it would make the 4th line worse

It's true that Gilbert retention makes it possible but I still would MUCH rather have Pinto + Brannstrom + Kastelic than Kubalik + Gilbert + Popisil

I don't know why Dorion hasn't moved Kubalik yet and we haven't even heard his name in the rumors/speculation. IMO he wants to "save face" with the DeBrincat trade... but the fool won't no matter what
KingofRnR and sensonfire liked this.
Oct. 20, 2023 at 10:31 p.m.
TrevorA
Finally some good points, I shouldn't have said bottom-6 because it includes Pinto line but it would make the 4th line worse

It's true that Gilbert retention makes it possible but I still would MUCH rather have Pinto + Brannstrom + Kastelic than Kubalik + Gilbert + Popisil

I don't know why Dorion hasn't moved Kubalik yet and we haven't even heard his name in the rumors/speculation. IMO he wants to "save face" with the DeBrincat trade... but the fool won't no matter what

Yeah it’s strange. Who knows what’s really going on

All we can do is speculate and try to come up with opinions and ideas as to why and what to do to fix it

Of course I want the trade to be in my teams favour. Teams know OTT’s situation and they’re going to make Dorion pay and he hasn’t been willing to concede yet is my best guess. I just worry whether Pinto will be as patient as Dorion and how it could affect not only their relationship but Pinto wanting to be a Sen long-term. Again, I’m just speculating and trying to come up with ideas or solutions
Oct. 20, 2023 at 10:34 p.m.
Yeah it’s strange. Who knows what’s really going on

All we can do is speculate and try to come up with opinions and ideas as to why and what to do to fix it

Of course I want the trade to be in my teams favour. Teams know OTT’s situation and they’re going to make Dorion pay and he hasn’t been willing to concede yet is my best guess. I just worry whether Pinto will be as patient as Dorion and how it could affect not only their relationship but Pinto wanting to be a Sen long-term. Again, I’m just speculating and trying to come up with ideas or solutions

Dorion should be out of the door soon, Pinto wants to be part of it with his friends (I think he's good friends with Sanderson who is the Sens best player going forward)

He'll wait him out.
sensonfire liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll