Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Elias Petterson Extension, Ext
7$4,000,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Couture, Logan ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
The Canucks get Couture - RETAINED. Does this get close enough to Raty?
SJS
  1. Garland, Conor
  2. Myers, Tyler
  3. Räty, Aatu
  4. 2025 2nd round pick (VAN)
  5. 2026 3rd round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
-6m (pure cap dump would likely cost a 2nd or 3rd plus prospect on a conservative estimate)
- Garland (not a cap dump but exactly valuable, would likely return a similar value to Duclair)
VAN
SJS
    Canucks can easily play Couture in their TOP6 as a winger or Center. Or they use him as a 3rd liner. Creating a contender for deepest Center core in the league.
    VAN
    SJS
      I’ve also included a +4m placeholder to display this could still also allow fitting a comfortable near 12m EP40. Which is probably the highest he’d get (and that’s high).
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the VAN
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$83,500,000$83,359,167$850,000$0$140,833
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      C, LW, RW
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $6,650,000$6,650,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $4,750,000$4,750,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $7,350,000$7,350,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $4,150,000$4,150,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      Logo of the San Jose Sharks
      $7,000,000$7,000,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $1,150,000$1,150,000
      RW, C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,600,000$1,600,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 2
      $1,900,000$1,900,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $762,500$762,500
      RW, C
      RFA - 1
      $825,000$825,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $775,000$775,000
      LW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $7,850,000$7,850,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $4,400,000$4,400,000
      RD
      RFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      UFA - 3
      $3,250,000$3,250,000
      LD/RD
      NTC
      UFA - 3
      $775,000$775,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $775,000$775,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      Elias Petterson Extension, Ext
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $775,000$775,000
      LD
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
      What's the value for the Sharks here?
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 1:25 p.m.
      This team kills me
      No, he’s 34, being paid 7M, and we need to sign Petey AND Hronek
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
      VAN
      Quoting: AquaticOwl

You can't be serious? Not to mention his 3 team NTC so the return would be light.
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
      Quoting: Prime_Jimbo
      You can't be serious? Not to mention his 3 team NTC so the return would be light.

I'm incredibly serious. Vancouver is actively trying to dump Garland, he does absolutely nothing for the Sharks. Myers contract is up at the end of the season. So the trade is an AHL player, a 2nd, a 3rd, and an overpaid aging forward for the Sharks captain.

Oct. 24, 2023 at 1:50 p.m.
      VAN
      I'm incredibly serious. Vancouver is actively trying to dump Garland, he does absolutely nothing for the Sharks. Myers contract is up at the end of the season. So the trade is an AHL player, a 2nd, a 3rd, and an overpaid aging forward for the Sharks captain.

SJ will be lucky to get more than what Chicago did for Kane if LC were traded.

Two early picks and a solid center prospect is a good return. Myers isn't a cap dump but a filler at this point. Actual salary for a tanking team is a plus despite what fans think the owners would be happy to swap that bs paying Couture huge dollars the next few years when he could easily fall off a cliff.
      theleano1 liked this.
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
      PDG over PDO
      I don't see Vancouver being to intreated in Couture and especially at the price of Räty
      The_Rocket liked this.
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
      Why do fans on here Gaslight other teams fans so much?
      You trade for Logan then post stuff like “sharks would be lucky to move LC and his contract” and “he’s going to fall off a cliff” just admit the truth! You would love to have him but don’t want to spend what it takes cause you’re worried about the last year or two of his deal!
      sharcuda22 liked this.
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
      sharcuda22

Two early picks and a solid center prospect is a good return. Myers isn't a cap dump but a filler at this point. Actual salary for a tanking team is a plus despite what fans think the owners would be happy to swap that bs paying Couture huge dollars the next few years when he could easily fall off a cliff.

And San Jose has no retention slots for the next two seasons, adds another bottom pair defenseman to make our club total something like 15. Dont think there is enough value for the sharks to do something like this. We eat 11 mill in cap space for you - you get our captain for some decent picks and a prospect we have cloned 3 times over and lose our last retention slot without getting a first round back
      Rob32sjsharks liked this.
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.
      Judd Bracket ripoff

Raty was drafted in 2021. he is a prospect, not a career AHLer as you imply. he's probably the canucks 3rd or 4th best prospect right now.

couture is a 34 year old centre that hasnt scored at a 70 point pace since 2019. he makes $8 million per season and still has 3 more seasons AFTER this one on his deal.

to be able to trade him with only one million retained for a good prospect, a couple top 90 picks, and a good forward who is 7 years younger and only have to retain $1 million is a good deal.

this is better return than the sharks got on burns or karlsson, both of whom are better players and required bigger retention to move.
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
      Quoting: The_Rocket
      Raty was drafted in 2021. he is a prospect, not a career AHLer as you imply. he's probably the canucks 3rd or 4th best prospect right now.

couture is a 34 year old centre that hasnt scored at a 70 point pace since 2019. he makes $8 million per season and still has 3 more seasons AFTER this one on his deal.

to be able to trade him with only one million retained for a good prospect, a couple top 90 picks, and a good forward who is 7 years younger and only have to retain $1 million is a good deal.

this is better return than the sharks got on burns or karlsson, both of whom are better players and required bigger retention to move.

Coture literally scored 67 points on a garbage Sharks team last year. You're telling me he wouldn't have scored 70 on a better team? I didn't say Raty is a career AHLer, I said he's currently in the AHL and was a 2nd round pick.

This is the Sharks captain, and Vancouver is dumping 2 players onto the Sharks in this trade. There's no value coming back.
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 3:15 p.m.
      Judd Bracket ripoff
      Coture literally scored 67 points on a garbage Sharks team last year. You're telling me he wouldn't have scored 70 on a better team? I didn't say Raty is a career AHLer, I said he's currently in the AHL and was a 2nd round pick.

This is the Sharks captain, and Vancouver is dumping 2 players onto the Sharks in this trade. There's no value coming back.

dont care at all if he is a captain. irrelevant to the trade. he wont be the captain on any other team and being a captain doesnt mean you are good or valuable as a trade chip.

couture had a solid year offensivley last year with a career high on-ice shooting percentage. he also scored 75% of his points when Erik Karlsson was one the ice (50 total) in the 785 minutes they spent together. in the 783 minutes he spent away from karlsson, he only scored 27 points. I think there are a lot of teams he wouldn't have scored 70 points on last year because he wouldn't have been playing with karlsson and also would have been playing further down the line-up.

he was disappointing the 3 years prior and once again did not score at a 70 point pace in any season since 2019. he scored slightly better than matt duchene and blake wheeler, both of whom were bought out despite having similar contracts.

couture is a solid offensive forward suitable for 2nd line ice-time to compliment high end players (players like meier or karlsson or hertl). however he is 34 years old with a contract the runs till he is 38 at 8 million per season. he is by far the worst contract involved in the above trade and would be a pretty terrible pickup for vancouver since they have their own cap conerns to deal with. from san jose's perspective, they convert couture into a solid middle 6 winger in Garland (who scores similar or better to couture 5v5) and pick up 3 decent futures. the cost to them is pretty much just the retention slot and the final season of myers contract of a $6 million cap hit (but only a $1 million salary, importantly)
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 3:46 p.m.
      VAN
      Quoting: Rob32sjsharks
      You trade for Logan then post stuff like “sharks would be lucky to move LC and his contract” and “he’s going to fall off a cliff” just admit the truth! You would love to have him but don’t want to spend what it takes cause you’re worried about the last year or two of his deal!

Don't ignore he chooses his destination. That obviously wouldn't be Van. But when he ends up a Maple Leaf for a conditional 2nd round pick, it'll be clear. Not trying to rile anyone up but with that constraint, I don't think the return is as high without the NTC clause.
      Rob32sjsharks liked this.
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 3:47 p.m.
      CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
      dont care at all if he is a captain. irrelevant to the trade. he wont be the captain on any other team and being a captain doesnt mean you are good or valuable as a trade chip.

couture had a solid year offensivley last year with a career high on-ice shooting percentage. he also scored 75% of his points when Erik Karlsson was one the ice (50 total) in the 785 minutes they spent together. in the 783 minutes he spent away from karlsson, he only scored 27 points. I think there are a lot of teams he wouldn't have scored 70 points on last year because he wouldn't have been playing with karlsson and also would have been playing further down the line-up.

he was disappointing the 3 years prior and once again did not score at a 70 point pace in any season since 2019. he scored slightly better than matt duchene and blake wheeler, both of whom were bought out despite having similar contracts.

couture is a solid offensive forward suitable for 2nd line ice-time to compliment high end players (players like meier or karlsson or hertl). however he is 34 years old with a contract the runs till he is 38 at 8 million per season. he is by far the worst contract involved in the above trade and would be a pretty terrible pickup for vancouver since they have their own cap conerns to deal with. from san jose's perspective, they convert couture into a solid middle 6 winger in Garland (who scores similar or better to couture 5v5) and pick up 3 decent futures. the cost to them is pretty much just the retention slot and the final season of myers contract of a $6 million cap hit (but only a $1 million salary, importantly)

Quoting: sharcuda22
      And San Jose has no retention slots for the next two seasons, adds another bottom pair defenseman to make our club total something like 15. Dont think there is enough value for the sharks to do something like this. We eat 11 mill in cap space for you - you get our captain for some decent picks and a prospect we have cloned 3 times over and lose our last retention slot without getting a first round back

Quoting: Rob32sjsharks

Quoting: theleano1
      I don't see Vancouver being to intreated in Couture and especially at the price of Räty

Quoting: BeautifulIdiot
      No, he’s 34, being paid 7M, and we need to sign Petey AND Hronek

If both teams hate it, it means the values close so that’s my take away.
      Oct. 24, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
      VAN

I'm basing it on the fact he would choose his destination. The value won't be amazing but I still think this is good value for a rebuilding team. Totally get that there may be no desire then to move him, especially as one of the GOAT Sharks. Not trying to rile anyone up smile

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll