Forums/Armchair-GM

Bottom 6 couldve looked Different without EK

Created by: pens1991
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 25, 2023
Published: Oct. 25, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I argued with a lot of people on here this summer that while I completely understand how good of a player EK was, acquiring him meant that the bottom 6 wouldn't be very strong, and through 6 games it's quite obvious that's the case. Don't get me wrong, Karlsson has been fine so far, and shown in various times that he's still a very dominant player, but the bottom 6 is just brutal.

So a few notes:
- I brought Granlund back and bought him out to signify the easy way to get out of his deal in the summer.
- I brought Petry back and left enough cap space to cover what Montreal ate of his contract ($2,343,750)
- I didn't bring back DeSmith or Rutta as I think realistically they wouldn't have had an issue finding a team for either player. Both short term, neither on crazy contracts from a dollar perspective.

People hated Petry last year, and look I get it, he's not EK but his contract would've provided more balance across the team.

My third line picks:

- Erod is familiar with the team, and that's a contract the pens could've afforded.
- I think Pens could've signed Donato for the same deal he signed in Chicago, maybe even a 1x$3M, he could've bet on himself with cap going up next season.
- Same thing with Geekie, took a short deal with a playoff team to see if he can secure a bigger contract next go around, no reason penguins couldn't match that.

This scenario would make the bottom six faster and younger than they are now, everyone on the third line could jump up to the second line if there were injuries (no chance Eller can play top 6 minutes, I think DOC would be fine if you stuck him on a top line but that's about it).

This would also leave the team with $1.8M in cap space to work with should they want to add at the deadline.

I completely understand what Dubas was aiming to do with the way he constructed the bottom six. His hope was that they'd be stronger defensively and capable of holding leads + being able to role out Letang or karlsson more often would provide the bottom six with a highly skilled defender to push play and potentially create scoring chances rather than strictly relying on the forward for that. Obviously that hasn't worked yet.

Throw in being stuck with Carter's contract and a lackluster FA class, there was only so much to do.

People can say what they want about guys like ROR, Duchene, Domi, Compher but I think majority of those guys were out of reach at center. Duchene took a cut to go to a contender, Domi the same and to where his dad played. Compher got a big deal from DET that the pens couldn't afford and ROR would maybe be the closest, but I'm guessing the Preds gave him a better offer than most teams were willing to give and he took the money.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Sullivan get the door soon. He's a fantastic coach, but his system doesn't fit this team any more and hasn't for a few years. Dubas will be pressed to make adjustments given the window for Sid/G/Tanger/EK.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see one of Genteel or Rakell traded. I thought the other day it'd be stupid to trade Rakell, and still not sure it's the brightest idea, but if it can return a 3C and another winger then Dubas may got for it. POJ would be another player that may be dangled to try and get more bottom 6 players.
Trades
PIT
  1. Rodrigues, Evan
Additional Details:
read description
FLA
PIT
  1. Donato, Ryan
Additional Details:
read description
CHI
PIT
  1. Geekie, Morgan
Additional Details:
read description
BOS
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$77,806,425$0$0$5,693,575
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 25, 2023 at 3:53 a.m.
No a bad plan, I agree on EK.

Very weak bottom 6, little youth anywhere, alot of age at all impact/key positions.

Acciari, Graves were two strong pickups, but the rest of the current group, meh
Oct. 25, 2023 at 5:24 a.m.
Very thorough you didn't over look the Petry retention.

Petry has been good so far but with a cap hit of $2,343,750 its a lot easier to let the little things go.
pens1991 liked this.
Oct. 25, 2023 at 7:58 a.m.
Quoting: aedoran
Very thorough you didn't over look the Petry retention.

Petry has been good so far but with a cap hit of $2,343,750 its a lot easier to let the little things go.

Issue with Petry is that he couldn't play in Sullivan's system. It doesn't fit players unless they have or are surrounded by tons of speed, which is part of why were doing so bad right now
aedoran liked this.
Oct. 25, 2023 at 8:26 a.m.
Quoting: pensfan21
Issue with Petry is that he couldn't play in Sullivan's system. It doesn't fit players unless they have or are surrounded by tons of speed, which is part of why were doing so bad right now

I would't worry too much we aren't even to November yet and Pittsburgh aren't the only team off to a slow start. If you look at the standings Detroit, Philly, Columbus, Arizona, Vancouver and Nashville are all currently in the playoffs.
Oct. 25, 2023 at 12:32 p.m.
pens1991
Quoting: Hammerwise
No a bad plan, I agree on EK.

Very weak bottom 6, little youth anywhere, alot of age at all impact/key positions.

Acciari, Graves were two strong pickups, but the rest of the current group, meh

I still like the Acciari addition, but don't think his linemates benefit him.

Graves has been disappointing thus far though, only 6 games of course.
Oct. 25, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
I would't worry too much we aren't even to November yet and Pittsburgh aren't the only team off to a slow start. If you look at the standings Detroit, Philly, Columbus, Arizona, Vancouver and Nashville are all currently in the playoffs.

The issue is a lot of the teams issues right now are one's that they've had for a couple of years. The fact that it still looks the same and are making the same mistakes despite having a complete roster overhaul is really concerning. Sometimes dynasties just fizzle out, regardless of the core still playing at an elite level. I hope that's not the case, but I think a rebuild or a coaching change might be the only two viable options at this point.
aedoran liked this.
Oct. 25, 2023 at 10:26 p.m.
Quoting: pensfan21
The issue is a lot of the teams issues right now are one's that they've had for a couple of years. The fact that it still looks the same and are making the same mistakes despite having a complete roster overhaul is really concerning. Sometimes dynasties just fizzle out, regardless of the core still playing at an elite level. I hope that's not the case, but I think a rebuild or a coaching change might be the only two viable options at this point.

Trust me I know all about that 25yrs of buying at the TDL and trying to keep the streak alive even though they really didn't have a chance. Now it was partially because they didn't want Mike Illitch's last memory of the team to be a losing one. But I'd give it a bit longer Detroit didn't add a dman like Karlsson in those last couple of seasons. Especially after he put up a ridiculous 101 points the season before. Pittsburgh has the one of most experienced teams in the league it shouldn't take much before that have things figured out.
pens1991 and pensfan21 liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
Trust me I know all about that 25yrs of buying at the TDL and trying to keep the streak alive even though they really didn't have a chance. Now it was partially because they didn't want Mike Illitch's last memory of the team to be a losing one. But I'd give it a bit longer Detroit didn't add a dman like Karlsson in those last couple of seasons. Especially after he put up a ridiculous 101 points the season before. Pittsburgh has the one of most experienced teams in the league it shouldn't take much before that have things figured out.

Yeah for sure we should give it longer and I would do a coaching change first before rebuilding. But if things look bad at deadline I think our only option is to sell and rebuild.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll