Best fit for Hanifin

Created by: Lancebmx
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 1, 2023
Published: Nov. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What team is the best fit for Hanifin?

Assumed extension agreed upon prior to trade.
I would assume Calgary would want young NHL ready players in return as I don't think they want to rebuild.

I would assume all first round picks would have some sort of protection.

I would assume retention is available as well.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
1$875,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Hanifin, Noah
1$4,950,000
Hanifin, Noah
1$4,950,000
Hanifin, Noah
1$4,950,000
Hanifin, Noah
1$4,950,000
Hanifin, Noah
1$4,950,000
Hanifin, Noah
1$4,950,000
Hanifin, Noah
1$4,950,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Moser, J.J.
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (WSH)
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
  4. 2025 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Before you come and comment about "he won't waive or sign in Arizona" understand that we have no idea where players want to play and what they are looking for in a home.

Arizona has a plethora of picks and if they could get a top pair defenseman for some of those picks and a young player like Moser, they definitely should be looking into it.
CGY
  1. Brunet, Frédéric
  2. Grzelcyk, Matt
  3. 2025 1st round pick (BOS)
  4. 2026 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
I think a pairing of Carlo and Hanifin would actually be unreal. This would give Boston the best top 4 in the NHL. They would likely still be lacking at centre though.
Grz is just a throw in to make the cap work. They can move him for more picks as well.
BOS
  1. Hanifin, Noah
CGY
  1. Reinhart, Sam
Additional Details:
Not sure who would add on either side of someone does. Obviously Reinhart would have to agree to sign in Calgary beforehand.
Reinhart might demand more than Hanifin so this might be a way to save some money for Florida and have a legit top 4 if they can keep Montour and Forsling.
FLA
  1. Hanifin, Noah
CGY
  1. Kemell, Joakim
  2. Lauzon, Jérémy
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
Not sure if Nashville is looking to buy, they added a bunch of free agents so send like they are still pushing to win games. This move would allow them to move McDonagh to the third pairing and allow them to have a pretty stellar top 6. McDonagh's deal will likely expire when Molendyk is ready to make the team.
A move like this would likely allow them to seamlessly transition McDonagh and then Josi out down the line.
Trading Kemell probably isn't ideal but they have alot of good young wingers in the system.
Lauzon to be a replacement body for a few years.
NSH
  1. Hanifin, Noah
CGY
  1. Bahl, Kevin
  2. Casey, Seamus [Reserve List]
  3. 2025 2nd round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Too much with Bahl? Could make it Smith, which I'm sure they would prefer, but likely need to add a bit more.
This would make New Jersey's defense unreal good. In the future they could look like this
Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hanifin - Marino
Hughes - Nemec
Would be an unreal defense core.
Not sure if they can commit the dollars next year or not, likely need to let Toffoli walk or make a move, again not sure if the dollars work here .
NJD
  1. Hanifin, Noah
CGY
  1. Romanov, Alexander
  2. 2024 1st round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
Not too sure how Romanov has been doing lately but maybe they look to upgrade on him. Again would give them a pretty good top 4 with Pelech, Pulock, Dobson and Hanifin.
Having a better partner might actually help Dobson alot as well.
Not sure on Romanov's value right now, night need a little more.
NYI
  1. Hanifin, Noah
CGY
  1. Frost, Morgan
  2. Zamula, Yegor
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
If Philly wants to add a legit top 4 defenseman. They said they are rebuilding but with Couts and Atkinson back, they are playing pretty good hockey. Hanifin is young enough to be part of the core for many years.
Calgary gets two good young players and a high second. Not totally sure on value of Zamula but getting two players they could plug into the roster right now is pretty important.
PHI
  1. Hanifin, Noah
CGY
  1. Cristall, Andrew
  2. Mantha, Anthony
  3. 2024 1st round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Mantha just for cap.
Possibly Flames send a replacement forward like Dube or Ruzicka.
I would expect Capitals wouldn't want to trade Sandin or Fehervary. Making a deal around one of those two would likely be more ideal though.
WSH
  1. Hanifin, Noah
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
13$83,500,000$79,007,500$0$580,000$4,492,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$905,000$905,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
LW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$886,667$886,667
LD/RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$860,000$860,000
LD
RFA - 3
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 1, 2023 at 5:28 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Devils can't afford paying Hanafin to be a 2nd/3rd pair dman long term.

This year:
Hughes-Marino
Siegs-hamilton
Bahl-Rental

Next year same except nemec instead of rental
total cost of under 20 mill for the group

25-26
Hughes-Nemec
Siegs-Hamilton
Bahl-Casey
(bahl for 2.5 mill, hughes for 8)
Total cost 25 mill, marino traded for assets

Same for 26-27.

That should be a quality, cheap Dcore for the next 4 years.

after nemec extension, hamilton+siegs expiry I don't know what it will look like tho.

But adding 7 mill of hanafin onto that+whatever we need to keep either marino or another 3RD isn't something we can afford
Lancebmx liked this.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 5:28 p.m.
You have to retain, and Devils arent moving Bahl. IMO the Devs need phyiscal on the back end, someone who can hit and cover for Hughes. I like Zadorov or Tanev before Hanifin.
Lancebmx liked this.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Devils are a solid maybe for rental Hanifin, but Casey had better not be anywhere near the trade. The cap doesn't work for an extension unless we move Nemec and that's not happening
Lancebmx liked this.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 5:39 p.m.
Quoting: TyeZerker
You have to retain, and Devils arent moving Bahl. IMO the Devs need phyiscal on the back end, someone who can hit and cover for Hughes. I like Zadorov or Tanev before Hanifin.

I actually have a Calgary AGM sending Zadorov to Jersey I haven't posted yet. I agree with that assessment too.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 5:40 p.m.
Preds pass. Kemell isn't anywhere near the table for any trade that involves a 2LD. Hanifin doesn't fit our lineup unless you want to take McD off our hands.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 5:46 p.m.
Quoting: Ennis
Preds pass. Kemell isn't anywhere near the table for any trade that involves a 2LD. Hanifin doesn't fit our lineup unless you want to take McD off our hands.

I would take McDonagh but his NTC says I can't. That's actually the only reason I didn't, figured he isn't waiving for a Canadian team or waiving to move his family again. Kemell is a top choice but can be negotiated obviously.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 6:38 p.m.
I don’t think Boston trades for Hanifin unless it’s a three team trade where Ullmark goes somewhere and the pick goes to Calgary. I don’t believe Hanifin would be the target on that case though
Nov. 1, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
Quoting: Celtics21
I don’t think Boston trades for Hanifin unless it’s a three team trade where Ullmark goes somewhere and the pick goes to Calgary. I don’t believe Hanifin would be the target on that case though

I know they could use a better centre but so could so many teams, I don't know if Lindholm is the answer for them either.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 6:54 p.m.
I do not think NJD needs dmen who can "hit". To me, that is just saying Devils need to play without the puck more, which is the opposite of how the team has been constructed.

Devils are missing that opening link to start rushes. Severson and Graves both did it well (and at times, Subban did too, if you didn't mind the icings). Our even strength production has taken a huge hit as a result of fewer successful d-zone exits. So I think Hanifin would be a great option for us. But including both Bahl and Casey would probably be too much.

(Also worth mentioning...Hainifn has known Devils GM since he was a kid)
Ennis liked this.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 7:08 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I do not think NJD needs dmen who can "hit". To me, that is just saying Devils need to play without the puck more, which is the opposite of how the team has been constructed.

Devils are missing that opening link to start rushes. Severson and Graves both did it well (and at times, Subban did too, if you didn't mind the icings). Our even strength production has taken a huge hit as a result of fewer successful d-zone exits. So I think Hanifin would be a great option for us. But including both Bahl and Casey would probably be too much.

(Also worth mentioning...Hainifn has known Devils GM since he was a kid)

Good point. My thought about Hanifin is that Luke and Nemec can play bottom pairing for a year or two then can easily roll 3 pairings at any time in the future.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Nov. 1, 2023 at 8:18 p.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
I know they could use a better centre but so could so many teams, I don't know if Lindholm is the answer for them either.

Do they want to allocate another premium salary since they have McAvoy, Lindholm, and Carlo locked up. One of their issues this year is they had too much allocated between Forbort and Grzelcyk coupled with the 4.5m overage
Nov. 1, 2023 at 8:23 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Good point. My thought about Hanifin is that Luke and Nemec can play bottom pairing for a year or two then can easily roll 3 pairings at any time in the future.

I've thought about it more and Hanafin would have to extend imo, at a number around 6.

Realistically the swap is Marino+Bahl for Hanafin+Casey, both costing around 7 mill total for the next 4 years and getting more expensive after that.

Selling Marino+Bahl should pay for the Hanafin acquisition+ a bit extra. And it would provide a way to get casey into the lineup
Nov. 1, 2023 at 10:59 p.m.
I actually have a Calgary AGM sending Zadorov to Jersey I haven't posted yet. I agree with that assessment too.

Let's see it

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll