Forums/Armchair-GM

Defence Upgrade

Created by: TMLBRIAN
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 24, 2023
Published: Dec. 24, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
St Louis D core is very old, signed for a lot of cap and signed for a very long time. Would they be willing to unload Parayko to try to get younger?

Is this enough?

Thoughts?
Trades
STL
  1. Niemelä, Topi
  2. Samsonov, Ilya
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2025 3rd round pick (TOR)
  5. 2026 3rd round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$83,493,950$0$0$6,050
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 24, 2023 at 1:09 a.m.
I’d be willing to bet we’d be willing to unload anyone but Parayko.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 1:42 a.m.
Former NHL Executive
Only think you upgraded was the 4C.

Parayko shouldn't make the Leafs top 6. This isn't even considering his contract.
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 9:28 a.m.
Parayko is a good nhl dman (2nd pair) but at his age, that contract (aav & term) makes him toxic & unmovable. To give up prime assets for him would be disastrous ; no chance Tre does this
Dec. 24, 2023 at 9:33 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Rajvinder

Parayko shouldn't make the Leafs top 6. This isn't even considering his contract.

Why do people make huge declarations when they obviously have not the foggiest clue what they're on about?

Quoting: MitchJr
Parayko is a good nhl dman (2nd pair) but at his age, that contract (aav & term) makes him toxic & unmovable. To give up prime assets for him would be disastrous ; no chance Tre does this

(Sigh)

How is Parayko a 2nd pair Dman exactly? And where on Earth do you get toxic from? And what do you imagine are these prime assets in the offer above?

I thought people knew hockey in Toronto. This stuff is embarrassing, guys. Still.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Why do people make huge declarations when they obviously have not the foggiest clue what they're on about?

(Sigh)

How is Parayko a 2nd pair Dman exactly? And where on Earth do you get toxic from? And what do you imagine are these prime assets in the offer above?

I thought people knew hockey in Toronto. This stuff is embarrassing, guys. Still.

Toronto is the centre of the hockey universe 👍 so maybe take some notes; I don’t tell people in St Louis how to bbq for instance 🤷🏻. Just because Parayko plays top pair minutes on the Blues (a middling team) doesn’t make him a top pairing dman on a good team. His numbers (gf%, xgf%) are bad and have been for awhile and the few times I’ve watched him (admittedly only when the Leafs play the Blues), he’s meh. The contract is toxic, not the player - too much $ & term for a guy that’s not good enough today and will only deteriorate.
A 1st & our only D prospect (RHD at that) are prime assets.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:52 a.m.
Toronto is the centre of the hockey universe 👍 so maybe take some notes; I don’t tell people in St Louis how to bbq for instance 🤷🏻. Just because Parayko plays top pair minutes on the Blues (a middling team) doesn’t make him a top pairing dman on a good team. His numbers (gf%, xgf%) are bad and have been for awhile and the few times I’ve watched him (admittedly only when the Leafs play the Blues), he’s meh. The contract is toxic, not the player - too much $ & term for a guy that’s not good enough today and will only deteriorate.

Your first two sentences are ridiculous. Just because I live in St Louis doesn’t mean I’m a chef of ravioli or barbecue. Just because you live in Toronto doesn’t mean you’re an expert on hockey. Both are probably far from the truth.

The whole teams xgf and xga percentages aren’t great. It’s called a dysfunctional team. It’s why those stats aren’t as useful as a lot of you ‘geniuses’ like to portray them to be.

Parayko is not a great offensive facilitator. But he’s an extremely and mean extremely effective 1 on 1 defender who lacks help and he chips in 5-10g 20-25 assists a season. That’s not a 2nd pairing defenseman. But I guess I’ll have to defer to you since you are clearly on TSN analyzing hockey since you’re from Toronto
mokumboi liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 11:45 a.m.
Quoting: AC14
Your first two sentences are ridiculous. Just because I live in St Louis doesn’t mean I’m a chef of ravioli or barbecue. Just because you live in Toronto doesn’t mean you’re an expert on hockey. Both are probably far from the truth.

The whole teams xgf and xga percentages aren’t great. It’s called a dysfunctional team. It’s why those stats aren’t as useful as a lot of you ‘geniuses’ like to portray them to be.

Parayko is not a great offensive facilitator. But he’s an extremely and mean extremely effective 1 on 1 defender who lacks help and he chips in 5-10g 20-25 assists a season. That’s not a 2nd pairing defenseman. But I guess I’ll have to defer to you since you are clearly on TSN analyzing hockey since you’re from Toronto

Humour must get lost in translation - some metric to imperial thing (interesting side note, only 3 countries still using imperial system - the U.S., Liberia and Myanmar).
Dude was taking shot at all Toronto fans (for simply disagreeing with a poor trade proposal) so just gave a little back; relax.
I will try one last time - just because blues fans think Parayko is a mean tough defender, he gets caved in when he’s on the ice. But even if (and it’s a massive if) he’s as good as you say, the contract is an absolute albatross. 7 x $6.5M for a 30 year old that produces very little offense and is underwater defensively is simply not a good decision for Tre, even if the trade was a 7th for him
Dec. 24, 2023 at 11:55 a.m.
mokumboi
a buncha jibber jabber

Heh. Setting aside the rest of your hilarity, I call BS on your Parayko viewings. The Blues are 9-3 against the Leafs with him in the lineup, holding Matthews to 5g and just 8pts in those 12 games
and he has 5 pts in the last 6 meetings with zero PP time. So you either don't notice what he does in those games or don't understand hockey near enough to judge who's meh or toxic or has a bad contract. Like I said, you guys just embarrass yourselves with this stuff and somehow don't even realize it. Stop reading Dom and analytic stats you probably don't even understand, and watch some hockey.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
mokumboi
Humour must get lost in translation - some metric to imperial thing (interesting side note, only 3 countries still using imperial system - the U.S., Liberia and Myanmar).
Dude was taking shot at all Toronto fans (for simply disagreeing with a poor trade proposal) so just gave a little back; relax.
I will try one last time - just because blues fans think Parayko is a mean tough defender, he gets caved in when he’s on the ice. But even if (and it’s a massive if) he’s as good as you say, the contract is an absolute albatross. 7 x $6.5M for a 30 year old that produces very little offense and is underwater defensively is simply not a good decision for Tre, even if the trade was a 7th for him

1 - I did not insult ALL Leafs fans. That's just another lie to excuse your tantrum.

2 - NEWSFLASH: Parayko had as many even strength points last season as Rielly did. Fact.

Just stop. Don't say stuff you don't actually know about and you won't get checked.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.
Heh. Setting aside the rest of your hilarity, I call BS on your Parayko viewings. The Blues are 9-3 against the Leafs with him in the lineup, holding Matthews to 5g and just 8pts in those 12 games
and he has 5 pts in the last 6 meetings with zero PP time. So you either don't notice what he does in those games or don't understand hockey near enough to judge who's meh or toxic or has a bad contract. Like I said, you guys just embarrass yourselves with this stuff and somehow don't even realize it. Stop reading Dom and analytic stats you probably don't even understand, and watch some hockey.

1 - I did not insult ALL Leafs fans. That's just another lie to excuse your tantrum.

2 - NEWSFLASH: Parayko had as many even strength points last season as Rielly did. Fact.

Just stop. Don't say stuff you don't actually know about and you won't get checked.

Too bad you don’t just play against the Leafs then 😅; you’re in 20th place. Leafs are notorious for playing down to their competition.
Reilly had an off year last year (injury related) but was dynamite in playoffs. Parayko has
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
mokumboi
Too bad you don’t just play against the Leafs then 😅; you’re in 20th place. Leafs are notorious for playing down to their competition.
Reilly had an off year last year (injury related) but was dynamite in playoffs. Parayko has

Oh cool! Lots of flailing "excuses". Fun!

Just stop. You have zero clue about the weight Parayko is asked to carry (running half the time against top lines with Blues 3rd and 4th line forwards) or, for that matter, how well he carries it. It's beyond obvious.

Oh... and the Leafs have won one playoff round in 20 years. You have no leg to stand on there, either.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
Oh cool! Lots of flailing "excuses". Fun!

Just stop. You have zero clue about the weight Parayko is asked to carry (running half the time against top lines with Blues 3rd and 4th line forwards) or, for that matter, how well he carries it. It's beyond obvious.

Then keep him! Even 20th place teams need “great” defenders 😅
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
mokumboi
Then keep him! Even 20th place teams need “great” defenders 😅

One playoff round in 20 years. Keep talkin'. It's deliiiiiicious. Fun fact: the Blues have four more regulations wins than the Leafs this season and three more ROWs.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
One playoff round in 20 years. Keep talkin'. It's deliiiiiicious. Fun fact: the Blues have four more regulations wins than the Leafs this season and three more ROWs.

20th place is a mirage then? Just a matter of time 🧐
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:35 p.m.

I had this whole song and dance with mokumboi. He didn’t know how RAPM charts work, you know, the ones that show Parayko has been painfully average this season and the few seasons prior.

He’ll call you out on not knowing what you’re talking about, but dude speaks out of his arse 99% of the time he’s on this site. When you correct him, he goes silent and adds you to his ignore list lol.
MitchJr liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:36 p.m.
Quoting: AC14

If Parayko is unable to handle top competition without crumbling, then he’s not a top defender.

Give it up. He’s mid.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:37 p.m.

Hey buddy, mind replying to our other thread and admitting you were wrong? Cheers!
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:56 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: badoob
Hey buddy, mind replying to our other thread and admitting you were wrong? Cheers!

I'll reply when you finally understand what "on-ice" means. Short of that, you're just proving my point to Mitch.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
mokumboi
20th place is a mirage then? Just a matter of time 🧐

How much time? Twenty years? Then you guys can win one more playoff round!
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:58 p.m.
mokumboi
Okay, this is all terribly boring. Like I'm Predator battling against Cabbage Patch Kids. Feels icky. You guys have a good one.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 1:00 p.m.
How much time? Twenty years? Then you guys can win one more playoff round!

Let’s hope faster than that - but when you make the playoffs every year (going to be 8 in a row for Matthews & Marner, etc) , you must admit your chances are improved. But with Parayko anchoring hour blue line for 7 more years, I’m sure things will turn around 👍 😅
Dec. 24, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
mokumboi
Let’s hope faster than that - but when you make the playoffs every year (going to be 8 in a row for Matthews & Marner, etc) , you must admit your chances are improved. But with Parayko anchoring hour blue line for 7 more years, I’m sure things will turn around 👍 😅

tears of joy

See what I mean? Just tooooooo easssssssy.

https://champsorchumps.us/team/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs
Dec. 24, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
I'll reply when you finally understand what "on-ice" means. Short of that, you're just proving my point to Mitch.

“There are many aspects of the game that players have no control over. The goal of RAPM is to control for these aspects and provide a better measure of a player’s offensive or defensive ability.

This allows us to control for all teammates, opponents, score state, zone starts, etc. at the same time further increasing the accuracy of a specific player’s rating.“

You kept taking personal swings at me when you had literally no idea how any of it works.

A man admits when he’s wrong.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Okay, this is all terribly boring. Like I'm Predator battling against Cabbage Patch Kids. Feels icky. You guys have a good one.

You would be a predator
Dec. 24, 2023 at 1:10 p.m.
Quoting: badoob
You would be a predator

Love rival fans (mostly small market teams like this champ) that overvalue their own players, actual results aside. Sometimes it’s leadership, sometimes it’s “he’s a good locker room guy”, sometimes it’s “they’re really good but it’s their linemates”. I’m no Howie Meeker but pretty simple to me - bad to average players on bad to average teams don’t hold a lot of value but when they have massive contracts, best to avoid

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll