Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$875,000$875,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 2 at 11:14 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: HypotheticalImpossibility
Chiarot makes 4.75M. Perron was signed for 2 years. Batting 1/3 on basic searches on CapFriendly already.
While in Tampa, 3 playoff misses, 3 Conference Final Loses, and a Cup final loss. Swap 2 3rd liners, and that teams wins back to back cups and lost in the Cup finals. Not bad results, considering where they started.
In Detroit, he took over a team that was spiraling into last place, had no notable prospects, and only 2 and a half good players. In 4 years, with 1 pick in the top 5, has a high end prospect pool, and is generally on the upswing. In case you didn't know, building a team from scratch doesn't yield a cup contender that quickly. By the time the Wings' best prospects are established, Chiarot and Holl will be gone, Copp and Compher will be either gone or in the last year. This team has 7 roster spots filled for more than 2 years. But please, go on about all the boat anchor contracts the Wings totally have that are blocking prospects. Edvinsson is on the only arguable case, but he's 20 and the NHL may not be the best place for his development right now.

You will see. Yzerman isn't the best GM in hockey. He's an old school guy who thinks he's better than he is.
Jan. 3 at 4:04 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
You will see. Yzerman isn't the best GM in hockey. He's an old school guy who thinks he's better than he is.

You keep saying that I'll see, but have produced no evidence to substantiate your claim. Am I supposed to take your word for it, because you know more about teams you don't watch, players you don't watch, and staff you don't follow compared to those who actually do?
Nowhere in this thread has it been said that Yzerman is the best GM in hockey. Nowhere in any of his interviews has he said that he's the best GM in hockey. Do you have anything proving otherwise?
Jan. 3 at 4:19 p.m.
Rip
You keep saying that I'll see, but have produced no evidence to substantiate your claim. Am I supposed to take your word for it, because you know more about teams you don't watch, players you don't watch, and staff you don't follow compared to those who actually do?
Nowhere in this thread has it been said that Yzerman is the best GM in hockey. Nowhere in any of his interviews has he said that he's the best GM in hockey. Do you have anything proving otherwise?

It will take time man. I am talking about the future. Detroit is not going to progress like you guys think it will.
Jan. 3 at 4:36 p.m.
It will take time man. I am talking about the future. Detroit is not going to progress like you guys think it will.

So, you can't back up your claims with evidence and we have to trust in you, because you clearly know what's going to happen?
Just for the sake of argument, how do we Detroit fans think everything will turn out?
CoachCoach liked this.
Jan. 3 at 6:21 p.m.
Rip
So, you can't back up your claims with evidence and we have to trust in you, because you clearly know what's going to happen?
Just for the sake of argument, how do we Detroit fans think everything will turn out?

It's pretty tough to have evidence for a future prediction. I am not sure you understand how time works
Jan. 3 at 7:46 p.m.
It's pretty tough to have evidence for a future prediction. I am not sure you understand how time works

So, by your own logic, you can't substantiate any of your claims in any way and are pulling this assessment out of thin air?

Also, the best indicator of future performance is past performance. Like when Toronto tied half their cap up into four forwards, suggesting that they will manage the cap poorly in the future. When the Oilers hired a past his prime GM whose track record in the last 10 years was mediocre at best, bad at worst (Ken Holland, in case you didn't know), he went on to still be mediocre at best. Yzerman built a good team in Tampa, and the Red Wings were bordering on historically bad when he took over. Spoiler alert, they're not historically bad now, and they're trending up.
Jan. 3 at 7:55 p.m.
Rip
So, by your own logic, you can't substantiate any of your claims in any way and are pulling this assessment out of thin air?

Also, the best indicator of future performance is past performance. Like when Toronto tied half their cap up into four forwards, suggesting that they will manage the cap poorly in the future. When the Oilers hired a past his prime GM whose track record in the last 10 years was mediocre at best, bad at worst (Ken Holland, in case you didn't know), he went on to still be mediocre at best. Yzerman built a good team in Tampa, and the Red Wings were bordering on historically bad when he took over. Spoiler alert, they're not historically bad now, and they're trending up.

I think the credit he gets in Tampa is unfairly heaped onto his shoulders. I haven't liked his moves in Detroit and I fully expect it will prove to be a flawed rebuild. The signing of old guys will hurt him. They haven't had enough low picks. Other rebuilding teams will pass them by and they will be either bubble teams or miss the playoffs entirely. There is no way to substantiate that until it happens. It's called a prediction. You do understand what that is right?
Jan. 3 at 8:14 p.m.
Rip

Lol I didn't even read the second half of your statement. Just taking cheap chirps at the leafs is rich.
Jan. 3 at 8:14 p.m.
I think the credit he gets in Tampa is unfairly heaped onto his shoulders. I haven't liked his moves in Detroit and I fully expect it will prove to be a flawed rebuild. The signing of old guys will hurt him. They haven't had enough low picks. Other rebuilding teams will pass them by and they will be either bubble teams or miss the playoffs entirely. There is no way to substantiate that until it happens. It's called a prediction. You do understand what that is right?

And why was the credit unfairly given to him? He was the GM, he brought in the staff, execs, coaches, and players. Do you think he just sat there while everyone else did everything?
You've listed three moves that were "bad" and nothing else. You haven't mentioned how half of his draft picks in Detroit have overperformed their draft position, the fleecings of trades (Fabbri for Jacob De La Rose, Walman and a 2nd for Nick Leddy, Bertuzzi (for a first) and spare parts for Alex DeBrincat, Hronek for 3 draft picks, one of which is setting records in the SHL, by the way). Did any of that factor into your prediction? Or that all of the "old guys (of which, Perron was by far the oldest, at 34) are all off the books in 4 years or less. Not every move he's made has been good, but he's made far more good moves than bad.

Every bit of information you've placed into your "prediction" is baseless, incomplete speculation lacking any credible evidence, context or insight. Anything you have provided has been easily disproven through basic google searches. Your "prediction," quite frankly, sucks. You might as well just say you think Yzerman is bad because he isn't working for the Leafs.
Jan. 3 at 8:15 p.m.
Lol I didn't even read the second half of your statement. Just taking cheap chirps at the leafs is rich.

How is it cheap? It's literally a self-inflicted wound. And it happened. And they're in cap hell because of it.
Jan. 3 at 11:57 p.m.
Rip
And why was the credit unfairly given to him? He was the GM, he brought in the staff, execs, coaches, and players. Do you think he just sat there while everyone else did everything?
You've listed three moves that were "bad" and nothing else. You haven't mentioned how half of his draft picks in Detroit have overperformed their draft position, the fleecings of trades (Fabbri for Jacob De La Rose, Walman and a 2nd for Nick Leddy, Bertuzzi (for a first) and spare parts for Alex DeBrincat, Hronek for 3 draft picks, one of which is setting records in the SHL, by the way). Did any of that factor into your prediction? Or that all of the "old guys (of which, Perron was by far the oldest, at 34) are all off the books in 4 years or less. Not every move he's made has been good, but he's made far more good moves than bad.

Every bit of information you've placed into your "prediction" is baseless, incomplete speculation lacking any credible evidence, context or insight. Anything you have provided has been easily disproven through basic google searches. Your "prediction," quite frankly, sucks. You might as well just say you think Yzerman is bad because he isn't working for the Leafs.

Whatever dude this is just silly
Jan. 7 at 5:54 p.m.
Whatever dude this is just silly

Yes, it is silly. It's silly that you make definitive statements about topics you clearly have little to no understanding of. It's silly that nearly all of the statistics and historical information you spout is not only inaccurate, but easily discovered through simple google searches or a click away from the homepage here. It's silly that you are unable to elaborate on any of the opinions you've presented outside of "whatever," "this is silly," or "you're attacking the Leafs." It's silly that you either refuse to acknowledge when you're wrong, or double down after already having been proven wrong.
Or maybe it's silly of me to expect anything else from you, considering this is par for the course on this website. Maybe it's silly of me to think that proving you wrong would prompt you to maybe start doing some research once in awhile so you can actually be informed on your opinions. Or, maybe silliest of all, that conversing with you was at all worth any amount of time.
Jan. 7 at 6:55 p.m.
Rip
Yes, it is silly. It's silly that you make definitive statements about topics you clearly have little to no understanding of. It's silly that nearly all of the statistics and historical information you spout is not only inaccurate, but easily discovered through simple google searches or a click away from the homepage here. It's silly that you are unable to elaborate on any of the opinions you've presented outside of "whatever," "this is silly," or "you're attacking the Leafs." It's silly that you either refuse to acknowledge when you're wrong, or double down after already having been proven wrong.
Or maybe it's silly of me to expect anything else from you, considering this is par for the course on this website. Maybe it's silly of me to think that proving you wrong would prompt you to maybe start doing some research once in awhile so you can actually be informed on your opinions. Or, maybe silliest of all, that conversing with you was at all worth any amount of time.

I promise you, I didn't read any of this.
Jan. 15 at 6:21 p.m.
I promise you, I didn't read any of this.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I suppose.
Anyways, since it seems the plot has been lost, we should probably conclude this little discussion. Maybe we can have a productive hockey conversation eventually. Good day.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll