Forums/Armchair-GM

IF Marner were to waive NMC

Created by: ZachArmel
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 6, 2024
Published: Jan. 6, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not realistic for Marner to do so but if he were to I'd be surprised if it is to anywhere other than LA. LA gets their young superstar and would still have 18 mill to do the rest of their bidding. Toronto gets a great 3C who will probably be their 2C by midseason. And they can resign Willy, Bert, and Domi to have that depth. While also revamping their D core to have a much more complete top 4. Toronto gets their kid line for line 3 and a solid top 6. This team probably goes to ECF if Woll plays well. If not they still have 2.3 mill and Robertson to trade for a true starter
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,200,000
2$775,000
4$2,890,000
6$5,500,000
2$975,000
3$775,000
3$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$10,880,000
2$876,000
4$3,750,000
4$5,000,000
2$1,400,000
6$4,750,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Anderson, Michael
  2. Byfield, Quinton [RFA Rights]
  3. 2025 1st round pick (LAK)
LAK
  1. Marner, Mitchell
  2. 2026 4th round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,700,000$85,358,500$0$0$2,341,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,880,000$10,880,000
RW
UFA - 8
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
UFA
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, RW
UFA
$845,833$845,833
C, LW
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, C
RFA
$975,000$975,000
LW, RW
RFA
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LD
UFA - 7
$2,890,000$2,890,000
RD
RFA
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$876,000$876,000
LD/RD
UFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 6 at 1:36 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Yeah, No. If we're going to sign anybody for gazillions, it will be William Nylander as a free agent, which costs us nothing (except money). And he plays the same position as Mitch Marner.
Jan. 6 at 1:38 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Yeah, No. If we're going to sign anybody for gazillions, it will be William Nylander as a free agent, which costs us nothing (except money). And he plays the same position as Mitch Marner.

Or if Marner were willing to waive that also means he’d want to sign in LA. So they could just wait and sign him
Jan. 6 at 1:44 p.m.
Extend Marner for 8 years, then retain ~40% of his salary for the duration, and the Kings might consider this.
Jan. 6 at 2:03 p.m.
Future Norris guy
The LAK can't fit in Mitch Marners $10,903,000 cap hit. They don't have anywhere close to that kind of cap space.

If Brett Pesce was willing to sign for 4 x $5,000,000 he'd remain in Carolina same can be said with Tyler Bertuzzi and Detroit.
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Jan. 6 at 2:16 p.m.
Zach
Quoting: MoSeider53
The LAK can't fit in Mitch Marners $10,903,000 cap hit. They don't have anywhere close to that kind of cap space.

If Brett Pesce was willing to sign for 4 x $5,000,000 he'd remain in Carolina same can be said with Tyler Bertuzzi and Detroit.

Bert did not want to stay in Detroit. Pesce probably asks for more but we'll see and LA can fit that salary. They have 23 mill+ right now in cap. If you lose Mikey and Byfield then they're only taking on an additional 6 mill, plus Byfield makes probably 5 so they're really only taking on 1 extra mill.
Byfield and Anderson are currently playing top of the lineup for LA, and are slotted to be their core for at least the next 8-10 years, I can't see them moving him unless the return was something insane. Asking for a 1st on top for 1 1/2 seasons of a player who dictates where he goes is seeing the world through rose-colored glasses that have interdimensional effects.

LA wouldn't do this even if Marner came with an extension.
Zach
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Extend Marner for 8 years, then retain ~40% of his salary for the duration, and the Kings might consider this.

Kings don't want a perrenial 90+ pt scorer who plays PP and PK while being a Selke nominee for a great dman and a young guy who hasn't proven anything. If kings are in win now they make this deal 100000%
Jan. 6 at 2:18 p.m.
Zach
Quoting: tryger
Byfield and Anderson are currently playing top of the lineup for LA, and are slotted to be their core for at least the next 8-10 years, I can't see them moving him unless the return was something insane. Asking for a 1st on top for 1 1/2 seasons of a player who dictates where he goes is seeing the world through rose-colored glasses that have interdimensional effects.

LA wouldn't do this even if Marner came with an extension.

Marner is a perrenial 90+ point closer to 100 point scorer while playing elite d and playing top pp and pk. He probably resigns in LA and LA gets their superstar which they are missing. Marner is also only 26 and will be in his prime for 6+ more seasons. I promise you LA does this deal 11 times out of 10
Jan. 6 at 2:22 p.m.
Quoting: ZachArmel
Marner is a perrenial 90+ point closer to 100 point scorer while playing elite d and playing top pp and pk. He probably resigns in LA and LA gets their superstar which they are missing. Marner is also only 26 and will be in his prime for 6+ more seasons. I promise you LA does this deal 11 times out of 10

Kempe is doing close to this at half the cost without Matthews as his center, with him Fiala, Byfield, and Moore does LA really need this insane offensive boost? Marner has a NMC, and if he wants to go to LA, they hold the bargaining power not Toronto.

LA needs strong defense and goaltending much more than Marner. For as much as Toronto fans tell me Marner is the best player in the league, you guys sure do love trying to trade him for a haul.
Jan. 6 at 2:29 p.m.
Zach
Kempe is doing close to this at half the cost without Matthews, with him Fiala, Byfield, and Moore does LA really need this insane offensive boost? Marner has a NMC, and if he wants to go to LA, they hold the bargaining power not Toronto.

LA needs strong defense and goaltending much more than Marner. For as much as Toronto fans tell me Marner is the best player in the league, you guys sure do love trying to trade him for a haul.

I don't think he's the best player in the league. Is he a top 5 winger? For sure. Fiala has 8 goals and 31 points in 35 (18 goal 72 point pace) Mitch has 14 goals 39 points in 36 (32 goal 88 point pace). Marner plays more minutes on the PK (81 to 2) and is a Selke finalist. Fiala is older then Marner and has never surpassed 85 points, Mitch has passed 90 3 times and is close to doing it again this year despite a terrible start. I promise you the Kings don't think twice about this trade
Jan. 6 at 2:40 p.m.
I don't think he's the best player in the league. Is he a top 5 winger? For sure. Fiala has 8 goals and 31 points in 35 (18 goal 72 point pace) Mitch has 14 goals 39 points in 36 (32 goal 88 point pace). Marner plays more minutes on the PK (81 to 2) and is a Selke finalist. Fiala is older then Marner and has never surpassed 85 points, Mitch has passed 90 3 times and is close to doing it again this year despite a terrible start. I promise you the Kings don't think twice about this trade

I think you aren't thinking about value and just focused on points and goals. For instance, Trevor Moore is set to put up more goals this season than Marner, does it mean he is a better player than Marner, no. But does Moore have a better contract than Marner, absolutely. Marner has the 9th most expensive contract in the league, but is the third best player on your team.

For instance, using your example:
Fiala is being paid $7.875M and is on pace for 72 points, that is 9.14 points per million paid.
Marner is being paid $10.903M and is on pace for 88 points, that is 8.07 points per million paid

LA is focused on value-based contracts and a balanced team, next season will be all about getting a great goaltender and reupping Roy or replacing him with a similar shutdown. After that there is not too much money left, so your trade above doesnt work. Because they not only would need to do all this, but replace Mikey Anderson who is on a very team friendly contract for a shutdown #1.
Jan. 6 at 2:58 p.m.
Zach
I think you aren't thinking about value and just focused on points and goals. For instance, Trevor Moore is set to put up more goals this season than Marner, does it mean he is a better player than Marner, no. But does Moore have a better contract than Marner, absolutely. Marner has the 9th most expensive contract in the league, but is the third best player on your team.

For instance, using your example:
Fiala is being paid $7.875M and is on pace for 72 points, that is 9.14 points per million paid.
Marner is being paid $10.903M and is on pace for 88 points, that is 8.07 points per million paid

LA is focused on value-based contracts and a balanced team, next season will be all about getting a great goaltender and reupping Roy or replacing him with a similar shutdown. After that there is not too much money left, so your trade above doesnt work. Because they not only would need to do all this, but replace Mikey Anderson who is on a very team friendly contract for a shutdown #1.

Ya but if you are going on just point production then you're missing out on his value on the defensive side, penalty killing and having the ability to lead any powerplay. That in itself is worth the extra 3.1 mill he is paid over a guy like Fiala. you're also forgetting he is getting traded for Byfield who is fine but has yet to prove to be a ppg player or to be trusted to play PK or be an elite defensive player. He is good and will probably end up being great but if you look at his potential contract let's say between 4-5 mill and add that to Mikey's contract of 4.125. That adds up to being around 9 million dollars between those two players. Who would you rather have? Marner at 11 or those two at 9. I know who is better. Even with Marner probably getting 11.5ish he has more value then those two in my opinion. The reason I don't want to keep him is we have to sign Willy and I just prefer Willy over Mitch that does not diminish his value as a true top 5 winger in the NHL
Jan. 6 at 3:05 p.m.
Ya but if you are going on just point production then you're missing out on his value on the defensive side, penalty killing and having the ability to lead any powerplay. That in itself is worth the extra 3.1 mill he is paid over a guy like Fiala. you're also forgetting he is getting traded for Byfield who is fine but has yet to prove to be a ppg player or to be trusted to play PK or be an elite defensive player. He is good and will probably end up being great but if you look at his potential contract let's say between 4-5 mill and add that to Mikey's contract of 4.125. That adds up to being around 9 million dollars between those two players. Who would you rather have? Marner at 11 or those two at 9. I know who is better. Even with Marner probably getting 11.5ish he has more value then those two in my opinion. The reason I don't want to keep him is we have to sign Willy and I just prefer Willy over Mitch that does not diminish his value as a true top 5 winger in the NHL

No joke I would rather have those two at under $10 for 5+ seasons, than Hope Marner takes a discount with LA during his peak years. LA is no slouch defensively, Kopitar and Danault are signed for what remains of Mariners contract.

But try this from LA side and I think you’ll see LA fans will be against this.
Jan. 6 at 3:19 p.m.
Zach
No joke I would rather have those two at under $10 for 5+ seasons, than Hope Marner takes a discount with LA during his peak years. LA is no slouch defensively, Kopitar and Danault are signed for what remains of Mariners contract.

But try this from LA side and I think you’ll see LA fans will be against this.

The team who trades the best player usually loses the deal, Marner is definitely the best player in the deal. He is the most complete player in the deal, he is only 2 years older then Anderson and 4 older than Byfield. It's not like you're getting a 29-30 year old player. He is still in his prime and is probably only going to get better. He perfectly fits the LA timeline and is a much better fit. He is a superstar. Anderson is a great defenceman and Byfield is a good young player but neither are superstars. Look at the past champions. They all have superstars. Eichel and Stone, Kucherov and Stamkos, Mackinnon, Makar and Rantanen, Ovechkin, Crosby... All these teams minus maybe the Blues but Pietrangelo could be considered one at that time, have that one superstar. Right now who is that for the Kings? Kopitar and Kempe are stars but not on the superstar level, Doughty is a star. But does this team beat Edmonton, Colorado, Dallas, or Winnipeg right now? I don't think they have the stars for it. They're eighth in goals for in their conference this year. Imagine they add a guy who can get them 30+ goals, 90+ points. That puts them over the top in my opinion
Jan. 6 at 3:25 p.m.
The team who trades the best player usually loses the deal, Marner is definitely the best player in the deal. He is the most complete player in the deal, he is only 2 years older then Anderson and 4 older than Byfield. It's not like you're getting a 29-30 year old player. He is still in his prime and is probably only going to get better. He perfectly fits the LA timeline and is a much better fit. He is a superstar. Anderson is a great defenceman and Byfield is a good young player but neither are superstars. Look at the past champions. They all have superstars. Eichel and Stone, Kucherov and Stamkos, Mackinnon, Makar and Rantanen, Ovechkin, Crosby... All these teams minus maybe the Blues but Pietrangelo could be considered one at that time, have that one superstar. Right now who is that for the Kings? Kopitar and Kempe are stars but not on the superstar level, Doughty is a star. But does this team beat Edmonton, Colorado, Dallas, or Winnipeg right now? I don't think they have the stars for it. They're eighth in goals for in their conference this year. Imagine they add a guy who can get them 30+ goals, 90+ points. That puts them over the top in my opinion

It’s one year of NMC Marner for 7 years of #1 shutdown and #2 draft pick who is currently breaking out.

Make a Stanley cup contender from LAs point of view or you have a weak argument.
Jan. 6 at 4:04 p.m.
Kings don't want a perrenial 90+ pt scorer who plays PP and PK while being a Selke nominee for a great dman and a young guy who hasn't proven anything. If kings are in win now they make this deal 100000%

They absolutely would want him. They don't want him for only one year, and they don't want to pay him $11M or more. If they could get him long term for roughly $8-9M AAV, they might be willing to give up a ridiculous haul like the one you're asking for here.

However, Anderson is likely the Kings next Captain after Kopitar retires, and Byfield looks like he will be a top quality franchise player. They will trade neither of those things for 1½ years of 8-figure Mitch Marner, let alone throw in a 1st round pick on top.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll