Forums/Armchair-GM

Jets keep the party Schmidt going next year

Created by: RationalHockeyFan
Team: 2024-25 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 6, 2024
Published: Jan. 6, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Salary cap goes up to 87.7 million based on Bettman's projection from December: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/nhl-salary-cap-projected-to-jump-to-87-7m-for-2024-25-1.2044888

Lambert can be swapped with McGroarty for the 2c spot if he wants to leave college early. Either one could still be sent down (with Vladdy taking over) if they start poorly.

We're kidding ourselves if we think Brossoit will sign as a backup again after the season he's having, but this is all fantasy anyway so let's just pretend.

Dillon gets offered more than this by other teams but let's also pretend he loves how good the wifi is in Winnipeg.

Schmidt rotates into the lineup every so often (w/ Dillon and Heinola), Chisholm is for injuries. 1 of AJF, Gus, and Tomato get to stay on the roster, I'm okay losing the other two to waivers.

If Jets find out Schmidt can't play anymore at training camp, they either waive him or use the numerous high draft picks they got for Iafallo and the tall guy to pay for a bottom feeder to take him. This would leave 2 fwds as scratches instead of 1.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$1,000,000
2$6,000,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,500,000
1$2,000,000
1$2,000,000
Trades
WPG
EDM
  1. Iafallo, Alex
Additional Details:
Love Iafallo, but there really isn't a way to make him and Schmidt fit under the cap. He plays tough on PP and PK, someone will pay something for him.
WPG
VAN
  1. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Chaos Giraffe part 2. You're welcome.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,700,000$87,565,357$0$375,000$134,643
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
RFA
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$375,000$375K)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$3,437,500$3,437,500
RW, C
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
RFA
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C
RFA
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 6 at 5:25 p.m.
Canucks don’t need a LHD.
Jan. 6 at 5:39 p.m.
Please keep Stanley. We don’t want him
Jan. 6 at 7:29 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I think you could grind a bit off of DeMelo and Perfetti to give it to Dillon but he'd want some term I'm guessing.
RationalHockeyFan and Wpgman liked this.
Jan. 6 at 8:39 p.m.
This would be a step backward after this season
Jan. 6 at 11:03 p.m.
Wpgman
Edited Jan. 6 at 11:10 p.m.
If Schmidt is not traded by the last buyout window before next year he will be bought out. $5.9 mil is too much for your 7th defenseman. The 4 mil could be used elsewhere as in keeping Iafallo.
Jan. 7 at 1:07 a.m.
KFC
2 year at 6 mill for Perfetti? Chevy will get him at 7x5.5
mynameisliang_ liked this.
Jan. 7 at 10:14 p.m.
Perfetti isnt bridging. It's going to be a long term deal. he has injury history but is legit great when he's on the ice, so a long-term deal makes sense from both sides. 6Mx 6 years puts him at 28 and able to cash in again at the end of the deal if he wants to, but guarantees him $36m, and gives the jets cost certainty for the forseeable future.

Also, you let Dillon walk and buy out Schmidt. Extend Demelo as long as the ask is reasonable, there's no reason to break up him and Morrissey.

d-corps next year:

Jomo - Demelo
Samberg - Pionk
Chisholm - heinola
plug

Salomonsson starts in the AHL but is probably the first call up if there's injuries.

go into the season with cap space and make a deal for an RHD if that third pair isnt getting it done, or spend up at forward and trade for a 2C with term at the deadline this year.
RationalHockeyFan liked this.
Jan. 7 at 10:22 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
How much would you pay NJD to dump Schmidt?
Jan. 8 at 12:50 p.m.
Lets go fishing
Quoting: dgibb10

Probably not as much as it would take for NJD to take him. His cap hit is needed in other areas, but the Jets are unlikely to find an improvement.

I put Dillon in there but it's unlikely the Jets keep him. It's probably Samberg/Pionk and Heinola/Schmidt next year. Getting rid of Schmidt means the Jets either need to acquire another guy, re-sign Dillon (risky cus of age and physical playstyle), or use Chisholm/Stanley. Not sure any of those options are appealing to the Jets.

If the Jets can solve that problem, they'd probably be willing to pay a 3rd rounder for some team to take the last year of the contract.
Jan. 8 at 12:53 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: RationalHockeyFan
Probably not as much as it would take for NJD to take him. His cap hit is needed in other areas, but the Jets are unlikely to find an improvement.

I put Dillon in there but it's unlikely the Jets keep him. It's probably Samberg/Pionk and Heinola/Schmidt next year. Getting rid of Schmidt means the Jets either need to acquire another guy, re-sign Dillon (risky cus of age and physical playstyle), or use Chisholm/Stanley. Not sure any of those options are appealing to the Jets.

If the Jets can solve that problem, they'd probably be willing to pay a 3rd rounder for some team to take the last year of the contract.

Ahh yeah I probably wouldn’t do it next year.

I was thinking this year we take it using our LTIR space then figure out a solution for next year.

Idk Toffoli (50%?) for Schmidt+2 1sts? Probably outlandish but just spitballing
Jan. 8 at 1:02 p.m.
Lets go fishing
Ahh yeah I probably wouldn’t do it next year.

I was thinking this year we take it using our LTIR space then figure out a solution for next year.

Idk Toffoli (50%?) for Schmidt+2 1sts? Probably outlandish but just spitballing

I like Toffoli but the Jets would need to replace Schmidt if they trade him. If you want a LHD from the Jets at the deadline, they likely try to push the Stanimal on you. He's an idiot (like uncoachably stupid) but he is 6'7" and Chevaldayoff thought that was worth something back in 2016.

Stanley can play a decent ~20 games in a year for you, but he will never give you the peace of mind that a Dman like Schmidt provides. It is a stressful experience watching Stanley play hockey. I'm sure Tom Fitzgerald has already heard the sales pitch many times, though it was probably more positive than mine.
Jan. 8 at 1:05 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I like Toffoli but the Jets would need to replace Schmidt if they trade him. If you want a LHD from the Jets at the deadline, they likely try to push the Stanimal on you. He's an idiot (like uncoachably stupid) but he is 6'7" and Chevaldayoff thought that was worth something back in 2016.

Stanley can play a decent ~20 games in a year for you, but he will never give you the peace of mind that a Dman like Schmidt provides. It is a stressful experience watching Stanley play hockey. I'm sure Tom Fitzgerald has already heard the sales pitch many times, though it was probably more positive than mine.

Devils aren’t so much buying a LHD (unless it’s a legit guy) so much as their would be trying to take on cap woes to get good players with pricey cap hits for cheap/paid for.

Schmidt isn’t bad. But he isn’t a 6 mill player.

My logic is 1st for toffoli unretained, 3rd for retention, slightly less than a 1st to take on Schmidt for 2 years at 6 mill
Jan. 8 at 1:26 p.m.
Lets go fishing
Devils aren’t so much buying a LHD (unless it’s a legit guy) so much as their would be trying to take on cap woes to get good players with pricey cap hits for cheap/paid for.

Schmidt isn’t bad. But he isn’t a 6 mill player.

My logic is 1st for toffoli unretained, 3rd for retention, slightly less than a 1st to take on Schmidt for 2 years at 6 mill

Ah yes, Jets were in that spot recently lol. I don't think the Jets are parting with Schmidt before the end of this season tbh. He's still playing well and (more importantly) he's a goofy locker room presence that brings everyone together.

This is the first year in a long time where the vibes emanating from the Jets locker room are actually positive, instead of the constant negativity that surrounded the team when Wheeler, Kane, Laine, and Later PLD were here. I'm not blaming any of those guys for the negativity, but I will say that the team this year has finally bought into "Bowness hockey" and is focused on winning.

I'm probably over emphasizing the vibes, but the Jets are finally a solid team winning games instead of a superstar goalie stealing games. If I'm Chevy, I don't risk removing a personality like Schmidt's from the team in the middle of all this success. That's the reason I'm trying to create a team that allows him to stay next year too lol.

If I'm being realistic though, the Jets probably start looking to get rid of his contract in the offseason. I know that's not what you're hoping for, especially because it would make sense for both teams otherwise. If he was just a normal guy, I'd say the Jets seriously consider that proposal.
dgibb10 liked this.
Jan. 8 at 1:29 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Ah yes, Jets were in that spot recently lol. I don't think the Jets are parting with Schmidt before the end of this season tbh. He's still playing well and (more importantly) he's a goofy locker room presence that brings everyone together.

This is the first year in a long time where the vibes emanating from the Jets locker room are actually positive, instead of the constant negativity that surrounded the team when Wheeler, Kane, Laine, and Later PLD were here. I'm not blaming any of those guys for the negativity, but I will say that the team this year has finally bought into "Bowness hockey" and is focused on winning.

I'm probably over emphasizing the vibes, but the Jets are finally a solid team winning games instead of a superstar goalie stealing games. If I'm Chevy, I don't risk removing a personality like Schmidt's from the team in the middle of all this success. That's the reason I'm trying to create a team that allows him to stay next year too lol.

If I'm being realistic though, the Jets probably start looking to get rid of his contract in the offseason. I know that's not what you're hoping for, especially because it would make sense for both teams otherwise. If he was just a normal guy, I'd say the Jets seriously consider that proposal.

Absolutely valid points all around.

But yeah, NJD probably has no interest come offseason when Dougie and Siegs are back healthy and 6 mill on a guy who would presumably be our 6th dman doesn't make sense
Jan. 8 at 3:14 p.m.

Like a third? we can buy him out this summer so it would be just to get him off the books for any deadline acquisitions, but I frankly don't see the jets doing that tbh. He's a little overpaid but he can still play, putting up very effective minutes in a shutdown role, so we only really need to trade him if we're bringing back a big ticket trade acquisition with term. if you want him at the draft, you can probably still get a third, but I could also see the Jets being in a position where the third is worth more than the $1.5M in cap space freed up by trading him vs buying him out, so you may need to settle for a 4th.
Jan. 8 at 3:29 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: mynameisliang_
Like a third? we can buy him out this summer so it would be just to get him off the books for any deadline acquisitions, but I frankly don't see the jets doing that tbh. He's a little overpaid but he can still play, putting up very effective minutes in a shutdown role, so we only really need to trade him if we're bringing back a big ticket trade acquisition with term. if you want him at the draft, you can probably still get a third, but I could also see the Jets being in a position where the third is worth more than the $1.5M in cap space freed up by trading him vs buying him out, so you may need to settle for a 4th.

An offseason buyout costs you 4.3 mill in cap total. not 1.5

And this would be for this season, you get all 12 mill off your books. Since you're saying you'd rather buy him out to save 2 million dollars rather than have him play for your team (3.3 mill in savings year 1) means you value him at less than 3 million dollars, I'd estimate we're saving you about 6 mill in value. Certainly more than a 3rd to dump
Jan. 8 at 5:34 p.m.
An offseason buyout costs you 4.3 mill in cap total. not 1.5

And this would be for this season, you get all 12 mill off your books. Since you're saying you'd rather buy him out to save 2 million dollars rather than have him play for your team (3.3 mill in savings year 1) means you value him at less than 3 million dollars, I'd estimate we're saving you about 6 mill in value. Certainly more than a 3rd to dump

it's not that he can't play, it's that we need the roster spot for younger players on the way up.

Per Capfriendly, were Schmidt to be bought out this summer, it would be a 2.716m cap hit in 2024-25 and a 1.61m cap hit in 2025-26. For the purposes of this argument, the 1.61m in 2025-26 isn't really a huge factor, but were the Jets to give up an asset to move Schmidt, it would be to free up the 2.716m in 2024.

I frankly don't think the Jets are willing to upset chemistry and vibes and whatnot just to save a little cap space at the deadline this year, so we would be trading Schmidt at the draft to save the 2.716m buyout cap-hit, so you shouldnt be looking at the overall salary because while I'm sure the Jets would like to save a few mil, it doesnt really matter if we're spending to the cap anyways, because our salary will be the same either way.

Where it gets really interesting is if you want Schmidt at 50% retained for free. Jets free up 2.975m in cap space (more than the buyout), they save a pick, and you guys get the player and also save cap space.
Jan. 8 at 5:36 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: mynameisliang_
it's not that he can't play, it's that we need the roster spot for younger players on the way up.

Per Capfriendly, were Schmidt to be bought out this summer, it would be a 2.716m cap hit in 2024-25 and a 1.61m cap hit in 2025-26. For the purposes of this argument, the 1.61m in 2025-26 isn't really a huge factor, but were the Jets to give up an asset to move Schmidt, it would be to free up the 2.716m in 2024.

I frankly don't think the Jets are willing to upset chemistry and vibes and whatnot just to save a little cap space at the deadline this year, so we would be trading Schmidt at the draft to save the 2.716m buyout cap-hit, so you shouldnt be looking at the overall salary because while I'm sure the Jets would like to save a few mil, it doesnt really matter if we're spending to the cap anyways, because our salary will be the same either way.

Where it gets really interesting is if you want Schmidt at 50% retained for free. Jets free up 2.975m in cap space (more than the buyout), they save a pick, and you guys get the player and also save cap space.

That would be an interesting proposal. Id have to think about that.
Wed. at 1:47 p.m.
Maple Leafs GM
6M for Perfetti lol
Wed. at 1:59 p.m.
Lets go fishing
Quoting: Tradez_18
6M for Perfetti lol

lol that was back when he had 25pts in 38 games and was looking like he'd have a permanent spot in the top6. Now we gotta pay Monahan.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll