Hutson as expected Mesar soars Beck Disappoints

Created by: Andy_Dick
Team: 2025-26 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 7, 2024
Published: Jan. 7, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
From Scott Wheeler

Lane Hutson (D, Montreal Canadiens): Hutson didn’t blow the doors off the tournament offensively but he made a statement with his play defensively and his competitiveness, right to the final buzzer. Huge minutes and he handled them like a pro, which I expect he’ll be this spring when BU’s season is over!

Owen Beck (F, Montreal Canadiens): Tone-setter physically and in work ethic. Thought he really struggled in execution with the puck and am concerned about that more and more in terms of his NHL projection.

Filip Mesar (F, Montreal Canadiens): Big-game, big-moment player for Slovakia throughout. Dangerous on the flank on the power play. Playing to the interior more consistently at five-on-five, while still making plays out wide and off the rush. Working on and off the puck. I thought Mesar was excellent, as you’d expect out of a 19-year-old first-round pick. Still positive, though. Had a strong case to be named one of their top three players of the tournament, even though he wasn’t. Best player on the ice in their quarterfinal loss to Finland. Could have been in the media all-star/tournament MVP conversation had they managed to win that game.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
1$900,000
1$875,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
8$7,000,000
2$2,250,000
1$1,500,000
1$1,250,000
1$1,000,000
8$7,825,000
2$1,500,000
1$900,000
2$1,250,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$5,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2025 2nd round pick (VAN)
  2. 2025 4th round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Barron, Justin [RFA Rights]
MTL
  1. Kane, Evander
Additional Details:
Kane NMC turns to 16 team NTC in 2025 can help this team in their hard to play against direction. Management seems to love guys like Anderson who’s really another Kane-lite in skill, Evander certainly is a better fit with very good to elite players whom the Habs should be developing after another two years of lottery finishes. This should be the year that the Habs 'try' to compete. 1 year term on a player they could also flip is worthwhile.
EDM
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (VAN)
  2. 2026 5th round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
After doing the Oilers ACGM for 2025-26. Oilers will need space for Draisaitl money then McDavid the following year. This is going to hurt for the Oilers. It will be tough to get anything for a 34 year old with a 16TM NTC that is playing bottom 6 minutes with 'character' issues despite being nothing but a model citizen in Edmonton. Holloway should be ready to step up, finally
MTL
  1. Dufour, William [RFA Rights]
  2. 2025 1st round pick (NYI)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$92,000,000$81,325,833$0$1,500,000$10,674,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 5
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 1
$7,825,000$7,825,000
RW, LW
RFA
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA
$918,333$918,333
RW, C
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
RFA
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$1,500,000$2M)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
RFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
RFA
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
RFA
$885,000$885,000
C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 7 at 8:45 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Mesar seems to have taken an enormous step this year. Most improved prospect award!
Jan. 7 at 8:46 a.m.
Canucks pass.IMHO.
Jan. 7 at 8:49 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: jonh514
Mesar seems to have taken an enormous step this year. Most improved prospect award!

And this team needs that kind of skill. Playing with another speedster like Newhook would be fascinating. I prefer Newhook on the wing as he seems to be more of a complementary player that can use his wicked shot in space rather than a floater in the middle of the size.

Mesar stepped up HUGE for Slovakia and was their best player in big moments including the qtrs. Ylonen continues to impress in small minutes with plugs like Pezz and waiver fodder like Stephens.
jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 7 at 8:57 a.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Andy_Dick
And this team needs that kind of skill. Playing with another speedster like Newhook would be fascinating. I prefer Newhook on the wing as he seems to be more of a complementary player that can use his wicked shot in space rather than a floater in the middle of the size.

Mesar stepped up HUGE for Slovakia and was their best player in big moments including the qtrs. Ylonen continues to impress in small minutes with plugs like Pezz and waiver fodder like Stephens.

would a Newhook Mesar Anderson be a great line for you?
jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 7 at 8:59 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

I agree Newhook is clearly a winger.

The blue line will work itself out:

I don't want to overreact to Barron's recent defensive woes.
I don't want to overreact to Xhekaj's recent success in the AHL.
I don't want to overreact to Reinbacher's underwhelming season.
If I had to guess I think Xhekaj and Mailloux might one day make a nice bottom pair and they are clearly playing well off each other.
Jan. 7 at 9:00 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: habitantlecolon
would a Newhook Mesar Anderson be a great line for you?

Do you think Mesar is a center in the NHL? To me it's pretty clear he's more effective as a winger and it gives him the freedom to express himself offensively.
Jan. 7 at 9:02 a.m.
Le patriote
Do you think Mesar is a center in the NHL? To me it's pretty clear he's more effective as a winger and it gives him the freedom to express himself offensively.

i don't think so that's why i'm asking wink
jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 7 at 9:05 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: habitantlecolon
i don't think so that's why i'm asking wink

The move to RW helped him in the OHL. If he was a center, he would be playing center in Kitchener.
habitantlecolon liked this.
Jan. 7 at 9:06 a.m.
Banned
I agree Newhook is clearly a winger.

The blue line will work itself out:

It will play out for sure. I'm quite sure Matheson will be flipped, either 2025 offseason, or the TDL.
Until then, they go 11F-7D. Struble is clearly an NHL'r. The hockey sense, strength and grit, he makes trading a Xhekaj.. interesting.

I don't want to overreact to Barron's recent defensive woes.
I don't want to overreact to Xhekaj's recent success in the AHL.
I don't want to overreact to Reinbacher's underwhelming season.
If I had to guess I think Xhekaj and Mailloux might one day make a nice bottom pair and they are clearly playing well off each other.

Barron is not my favourite. RHD are too valuable as a trade chip. I'll always bring up the Lundkvist example whom finally got into the lineup after the Miro Heiskanen injury but they were playing a bunch of nobodies and overloading Miro and Harley. Flip Barron already! I rather they try out Tourigny as a puck mover and they have Bogdan coming in 2026-27.

Decisions are looming all over the lineup not just LHD but the goalie situation. Primeau is he really a solution or do they try to grab a goalie from Philly?

The center situation is still influx. Do they resign Monahan? Is Dach a center? Newhook? Mesar? Beck doesnt look promising at this point. They'll need to target another center at the draft or through trade.
The only legit center they have going forward is Suzuki whos taken another step.
jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 7 at 9:17 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: remowilliams
Canucks pass.IMHO.

No they don't! Young RHD with offensive upside go for more. That aint the Canucks decision to make but instead if they Habs even want to trade him to Vancouver, the lineup would be 10 plus teams long otherwise they easily get this price plus elsewhere.
Jan. 7 at 9:46 a.m.

I don't know why everyone thought Mesar had a weak rookie campaign in the OHL last season. He was basically a ppg player (51 points in 52 GP) while trying to adjust to the smaller ice surface. I was happy with the pick and couldn't wait for the acclamation to be completed. Now that that process is finished we are seeing the full potential of Mesar and why he was a first round pick
jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 7 at 9:46 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Campabee
I don't know why everyone thought Mesar had a weak rookie campaign in the OHL last season. He was basically a ppg player (51 points in 52 GP) while trying to adjust to the smaller ice surface. I was happy with the pick and couldn't wait for the acclamation to be completed. Now that that process is finished we are seeing the full potential of Mesar and why he was a first round pick

The Kulich hype certainly made the comparable tough to stomach, add to the nepotism debate because he's a Slovak. The pick seemed lazy after two draft trades and so much hype at the draft. The expectations were impossible to meet for Mesar unless he played at an elite level that D1.
jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 7 at 9:51 a.m.
No they don't! Young RHD with offensive upside go for more. That aint the Canucks decision to make but instead if they Habs even want to trade him to Vancouver, the lineup would be 10 plus teams long otherwise they easily get this price plus elsewhere.

Thats Your opinion.Mine is Canucks pass on overpaying for him.A second would sufice In MY opinion.
Jan. 7 at 9:53 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

If we can acquire talent like that at 26OA in a weak draft year, why do we need to tank again?
Campabee and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 7 at 10:04 a.m.
Banned
If we can acquire talent like that at 26OA in a weak draft year, why do we need to tank again?

They shouldnt be tanking anymore but progressing. I don't see playoffs unless they goalie their way next year. That said I do believe in Montembeault.

The coaching, defensive structure, young miscues and lack of firepower up front will be very difficult to overcome in a very tough division going forward.

Simply look at the Sens and Sabres. They are great lessons in building a squad. KH need to go after talent aggressively whether through trade as Hughes has done with Dach, Newhook or through the draft with some risk.

2024 they cant keep grabbing these defensive high picks especially as the top10 here has a bunch of Dmen with question marks. I'm all for flipping a bunch of picks at the TDL and using their LTIR space. There's a lot of possibilities here for a big swing not just the offseason but at the TDL with desperate teams like the Oilers, Pens, Leafs, Jets, Flames and Knights.

Grabbing a Lindholm with an extension? That makes losing Monahan and Dvorak palatable.

Holloway at a discount?
jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 7 at 10:04 a.m.
The Kulich hype certainly made the comparable tough to stomach, add to the nepotism debate because he's a Slovak. The pick seemed lazy after two draft trades and so much hype at the draft. The expectations were impossible to meet for Mesar unless he played at an elite level that D1.

TBH, I had Mesar going a bit higher (around 20th) so when we got him at 26th I was quite happy about it. I also had a few other guys going higher (Kulich, Lambert, Howard and Schaefer) and a few guys who surprised me with how high they were taken (Korchinski, Kemell, Bechtel and Ohgren).
Jan. 7 at 10:07 a.m.

Wasn't the 2022 draft considered to be a good draft? Not as good as the 2023 draft but still better than 2020, 2021 or 2024
Jan. 7 at 10:09 a.m.
Banned
Wasn't the 2022 draft considered to be a good draft? Not as good as the 2023 draft but still better than 2020, 2021 or 2024

No way! It was a pandemic draft with limited scouting. Lets face it outside the top20 or so picks in most drafts SCA is sort of grasping.
Jan. 7 at 10:13 a.m.

They shouldnt be tanking anymore but progressing. I don't see playoffs unless they goalie their way next year. That said I do believe in Montembeault.

The coaching, defensive structure, young miscues and lack of firepower up front will be very difficult to overcome in a very tough division going forward.

Simply look at the Sens and Sabres. They are great lessons in building a squad. KH need to go after talent aggressively whether through trade as Hughes has done with Dach, Newhook or through the draft with some risk.

2024 they cant keep grabbing these defensive high picks especially as the top10 here has a bunch of Dmen with question marks. I'm all for flipping a bunch of picks at the TDL and using their LTIR space. There's a lot of possibilities here for a big swing not just the offseason but at the TDL with desperate teams like the Oilers, Pens, Leafs, Jets, Flames and Knights.

Grabbing a Lindholm with an extension? That makes losing Monahan and Dvorak palatable.

Holloway at a discount?

I personally wouldn't move the 2024 1st until the draft, if Lindstrom is gone then move the pick. I feel like Lindstrom could be our next Caufield, Guhle, Hutson, Reinbacher type of steal and very much complete our prospect pool rebuild. Then going into the 2024-25 season, start moving out picks and prospects like Beck, Farrell, Engstrom, Harris, Kidney and Barron for long-term upgrades to be contenders in 2025-26
jonh514 and KentMcNally liked this.
Jan. 7 at 10:15 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

Holloway at a discount?

Lindholm & Monahan back on the same squad in a Habs uniform next year? Yes indeed!
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 7 at 10:16 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
I personally wouldn't move the 2024 1st until the draft, if Lindstrom is gone then move the pick. I feel like Lindstrom could be our next Caufield, Guhle, Hutson, Reinbacher type of steal and very much complete our prospect pool rebuild. Then going into the 2024-25 season, start moving out picks and prospects like Beck, Farrell, Engstrom, Harris, Kidney and Barron for long-term upgrades to be contenders in 2025-26

Fair approach, but not the only approach IMO.
Jan. 7 at 10:16 a.m.
No way! It was a pandemic draft with limited scouting. Lets face it outside the top20 or so picks in most drafts SCA is sort of grasping.

Yes, I remember the scouting issues but talent wise I thought the 1st round had a lot of top line quality players in it, not elite talent but still good players
Jan. 7 at 10:17 a.m.

Definitely not the only approach lol
jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 7 at 10:24 a.m.
Banned

There's no wrong answer rn because this is all projections and things will happen even in a perfect rebuild with all the lottery luck (Jersey this season) but status quo should never be an option.

The best quality of Hughes is much like Brisebois, he's unafraid and creative unlike say Ken Holland smh. I rather trade all the 1st round picks if it gets just one Stanley Cup in the next 15 years. That is all that matters besides putting forth an entertaining product.
jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 7 at 10:25 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
There's no wrong answer but status quo should never be an option. The best quality of Hughes is much like Brisebois, he's unafraid and creative unlike say Ken Holland smh

I would just caution that a straight youth movement does not automatically get you to the promised land. Look at Ottawa, they are legit talking about trading Brady Tkachuk...
Andy_Dick liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll