Forums/Armchair-GM

Avs fans I have a challenge for you

Created by: HockeyManiac95
Team: 2023-24 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 14, 2024
Published: Jan. 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So, now I thought it'd be fun to look at every team in the league for the most realistic 2C option. Y'all can do this too, even if you're not an Avs fan. I plan to do one for each team myself anyway.

Ok, to start, the 1st team on the list is the Anaheim Ducks.
Their NHL centers include Mason McTavish, Adam Henrique, Leo Carlsson, and Trevor Zegras.

Let's start with McTavish. He is in my book a good 2C with some 1C potential and would probably be a 1C elsewhere in the league. He haS 27 points in 35 games (0.77 ppg pace) and averages about 17 min TOI. His defense is decent and his faceoff percentage is amazing. He's currently 20 years old and has a cap hit of $894,167. That said, Anaheim has NO incentive to get rid of him, and Colorado would need to pay big time to get him. So, McTavish isn't happening.

Next up is Adam Henrique. Henrique is one of the veterans on this team. That means he hit his ceiling a while ago. We know what he is. This year, he has 22 points in 41 games (0.54 ppg) and also averages 17 min TOI. His defensive numbers are slightly better than McTavish and his pk is good. He's also managed to stay relatively healthy throughout his career. He's currently 33 and carries one year left on a contract with a $5,825,000 cap hit. Now, this one seems the most realistic. While the offense may not be great, if you put him with puck hounds like Nichushkin and/or Lehky or Drouin, he could be good. I know another major concern with him is his speed, something that he and RyJo have in common. But then, maybe you have the conversation of making him and Ross Colton interchangeable or just make Colton the 2C altogether. And now, you have a 45 point guy on your 3rd line. So yeah, this is probably the one.

Finally, Trevor Zegras. Has only played 20 games, and has just 7 points. His defense is a little lacking. He's 22 and has a $5,750,000 cap hit for the next 2 years. He's now currently injured. However, in the long term, where is his fit? You have Cutter Gauthier coming, and Carlsson will be the guy in the next couple years. And I would think McTavish would have a fit being a 3C whilst Henrique (or someone else) is your 4C. Unless you get rid of one of Gauthier/McTavish/Carlsson, Zegras has no place in the long run. And with the contract struggles he's had, maybe a trade is in sight? Could/should the Avs acquire him? First of all, he's gotta be healthy. 2nd of all, can he pick up his game again? 3rd of all, if he does pick it up, what kind of money will he want when 2026 comes? By then, Mikko will be extended and probably Makar too. For all those reasons, I think it's a no for the Avs.

So, Adam Henrique is the winner. I don't feel great, but don't feel bad either. Still, being cautious wouldn't hurt.

Oh and yeah, Carlsson is untouchable 😏.

Roster is healthy post tdl. I know the goaltending is a concern, but not in this acgm.
Trades
COL
    FCs, 7th round pick, whatever.
    WPG
    1. Johansen, Ryan
    2. 2024 5th round pick (SEA)
    Additional Details:
    Anywhere. Certainly won't be Winnipeg. If a team wants payment for taking him, a 5th is as high as I'd go for a 30 point guy.
    ANA
    1. 2024 4th round pick (COL)
    2. 2025 3rd round pick (COL)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,500,000$78,602,500$637,500$0$4,897,500
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $825,000$825,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $12,600,000$12,600,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    RW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $1,456,250$1,456,250
    LW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 6
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 4
    $896,250$896,250
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $825,000$825,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,850,000$3,850,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $775,000$775,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $987,500$987,500
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 1
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $775,000$775,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 14 at 8:59 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    I think you're missing the guy who is probably the best for, which is Isaac Lundestrom. Defensively sound 2 way center, puts up ~40 points with good wingers, playmaker first, and is clutch in the dot. Not to mention a high motor and a fast skater.

I don't know where this "Cutter makes Trevor expendable" stuff keeps originating, it's simple not true. Gauthier will be a winger in Anaheim, there's two top 6 spots for LW, we can push Vatrano to 3LW and Zegras and Gauthier can be the left side for a long, long time.
    Jan. 14 at 9:05 p.m.
    RecycleShark
    The Sharks could offer Granlund who is scoring 0.81 points per game as compared to Henrique's 0.54 points per game.

Granlund is worth a 2nd. Perhaps more if the Shatks take Johansen or Girard in return.
    Jan. 14 at 9:17 p.m.
    Quoting: GiggywithGibby
    I think you're missing the guy who is probably the best for, which is Isaac Lundestrom. Defensively sound 2 way center, puts up ~40 points with good wingers, playmaker first, and is clutch in the dot. Not to mention a high motor and a fast skater.

I don't know where this "Cutter makes Trevor expendable" stuff keeps originating, it's simple not true. Gauthier will be a winger in Anaheim, there's two top 6 spots for LW, we can push Vatrano to 3LW and Zegras and Gauthier can be the left side for a long, long time.

Not sure I'd fully agree on the assessment of Lundestrom (not really what I'd call clutch at the dot, decent but not clutch, the rest pretty fair). He's an intriguing outside bet as we know how the Colorado office likes to come flying out of left field sometimes. What do you think he'd likely cost?
    Jan. 14 at 9:19 p.m.
    Neat idea. No need to do NJ though, think we covered that one pretty well! wink
    Jan. 14 at 9:54 p.m.
    and proud of it
    Quoting: TJTwolf
    Neat idea. No need to do NJ though, think we covered that one pretty well! wink

Agreed my friend. I will ofc stop if a real trade happens
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Jan. 14 at 9:57 p.m.
    and proud of it
    Quoting: GiggywithGibby

I'd disagree somewhat with the Lundestrome sentiment. And even if I'm wrong, I don't think he's the guy anyway.

As for the Cutter situation, ur not wrong, but something is definitely going to happen with Zegras. Wouldn't be surprised if he's traded.
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Jan. 15 at 3:24 a.m.
    Novistic
    I don't see a world where the avs can get McTavish. He's a rising star with the ducks, and will probably be pricey.

Henrique and Zegras though, i'm worried about their production as centers. Ross Colton has better games in Tampa when he was a winger, but he's playing as a center now. I wouldn't want to take that same risk, especially since these players aren't going to be cheap. I don't watch Ducks hockey though, so i don't know a whole lot.

If i were to choose between these three (assuming that we can make the trades work), I'd pick McTavish The second line has huge guys, he'll be a great addition to that.
    Jan. 15 at 9:07 a.m.
    and proud of it
    Quoting: Novistic
    I don't see a world where the avs can get McTavish. He's a rising star with the ducks, and will probably be pricey.

Henrique and Zegras though, i'm worried about their production as centers. Ross Colton has better games in Tampa when he was a winger, but he's playing as a center now. I wouldn't want to take that same risk, especially since these players aren't going to be cheap. I don't watch Ducks hockey though, so i don't know a whole lot.

If i were to choose between these three (assuming that we can make the trades work), I'd pick McTavish The second line has huge guys, he'll be a great addition to that.

I'd honestly pick McTavish as well, but like you said, it's not happening. We've seen Zegras has potential, but there's way too much uncertainty with him. And Henrique, you don't love it, but you know what he is, a 40 point center. Slower, yes, but he's been a proven scorer for years. Don't get me wrong, Henrique is not my first choice, but he's a realistic choice. Also the challenge was one from each team.
    Jan. 15 at 9:18 a.m.
    Bedard23
    Quoting: RecycleShark
    The Sharks could offer Granlund who is scoring 0.81 points per game as compared to Henrique's 0.54 points per game.

Granlund is worth a 2nd. Perhaps more if the Shatks take Johansen or Girard in return.

Stat padding on the worst team in the league doesn’t count

That’s what happened with Max Domi when we were shopping him and he was putting up good numbers
    Jan. 15 at 9:37 a.m.
    and proud of it
    Quoting: IconicHawk
    Stat padding on the worst team in the league doesn’t count

That’s what happened with Max Domi when we were shopping him and he was putting up good numbers

True, but you were already a bad team upon acquiring him. I don't disagree tho
    Jan. 15 at 11:59 a.m.
    Bedard23
    Quoting: HockeyManiac95
    True, but you were already a bad team upon acquiring him. I don't disagree tho

The sharks were too, there’s literally no difference in both team’s case
    Jan. 15 at 2:02 p.m.
    and proud of it
    The sharks were too, there’s literally no difference in both team’s case

Not really. The Blackhawks were a bad team in search of a good player. Avs are a good team in search of a good player. Minor difference, but who cares?
    Jan. 15 at 3:31 p.m.
    Bedard23
    Not really. The Blackhawks were a bad team in search of a good player. Avs are a good team in search of a good player. Minor difference, but who cares?

We traded Domi to the eventual western conference runner ups, you think they weren’t a good team looking for good players?
    Jan. 15 at 3:46 p.m.
    and proud of it
    We traded Domi to the eventual western conference runner ups, you think they weren’t a good team looking for good players?

Nvm misunderstood you the whole time lol. Thought u meant when the Blackhawks acquired Domi
    IconicHawk liked this.
    Jan. 15 at 4:05 p.m.
    Bedard23
    Nvm misunderstood you the whole time lol. Thought u meant when the Blackhawks acquired Domi

All good
    HockeyManiac95 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll