SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 1 at 1:46 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
Hes having a down year and is costing 5m. Dont think this guys got value for an upgrade. Better to just keep and use

Leafs can in general keep him and still add a 3-4m Dman thanks to all the LTIR rn or moving some guys down like Timmins.

Basically do this

Rielly-Liligren
McCabe-new guy
Benoit-Brodie

Brodie gets a lesser role, can focus more on the PK, and it fits the team better. Basically what Pitt did with Dumo

So, you're saying if a team offered a 2nd for Brodie, you wouldn't consider it?
Feb. 1 at 1:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 1 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98

No cause were in win now mode not sell off and wait.

Like yes Brodie is an expiring UFA and not having his best year but Leafs be in go for it now and not sell, hope, and wait. No competing team does that.

Even if they would get good value its k who u gonna replace this guy with as if Brad sells him then at the TDL comes out with nothing Leafs basically just got worse and in a prime Matthew season. Only if Brad had a clear upgrade trade waiting would this be okay. But for this team they should want to keep Brodie but just lower him down and add

Rielly-Liligren
McCabe-new guy
Benoit-Brodie

Also doubt anyone offers a 2nd for Brodie were looking at maybe 3rd round pick territory and thats with retention
Feb. 1 at 2:50 p.m.
Rip
1-2 year deal 3m thats fine. Hes playing well at 33 rn on a CGY team who isnt great.

He in fact is not playing all that well. Has the worst numbers out of the top 4 defenceman in Calgary by a wide margin.
Feb. 1 at 2:51 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98

They absolutely should move him if they can get a good pick for him. Or a younger defenceman who may need a fresh start. Who, I don't know but making some changes and recouping some futures is the path for this season.
Feb. 1 at 2:52 p.m.
Rip
No cause were in win now mode not sell off and wait.

Like yes Brodie is an expiring UFA and not having his best year but Leafs be in go for it now and not sell, hope, and wait. No competing team does that.

Even if they would get good value its k who u gonna replace this guy with as if Brad sells him then at the TDL comes out with nothing Leafs basically just got worse and in a prime Matthew season. Only if Brad had a clear upgrade trade waiting would this be okay. But for this team they should want to keep Brodie but just lower him down and add

Rielly-Liligren
McCabe-new guy
Benoit-Brodie

Also doubt anyone offers a 2nd for Brodie were looking at maybe 3rd round pick territory and thats with retention

Chairot got a 1st and was monumentally worse when he was traded from Montreal. Brodie could get a good return.
Feb. 1 at 2:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: RipNasty
Chairot got a 1st and was monumentally worse when he was traded from Montreal. Brodie could get a good return.

FLA went all in and it backfired

Chiarot also played a more physical game then Brodie and he showed it in the MTL series against us

At this point Brodie probs gets a 3rd like Ghost did which aint great

In general Leafs should not be selling
Feb. 1 at 3:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 1 at 3:13 p.m.
He in fact is not playing all that well. Has the worst numbers out of the top 4 defenceman in Calgary by a wide margin.

How is he not playing well or has the worst defensive numbers think someone forgot to check again.

GEpWyB7WcAAIA6T?format=jpg&name=large

Tanev has still been one of the better defensive RD in the NHL. Not afraid to block shots and is still an excellent PKer. Like the offense has gone down but thats not what u bring Tanev in for. You bring him for the defense, shotblocking and penalty kill

Would love a guy willing to do this in TOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sgWRyUawSE&ab_channel=TheMorningSkate

Also plays a ton against elite competition = 309.2 minutes, Flames outscore elite competition with him on the ice, as they have 16 goals for and just seven goals against when Tanev is on the ice.

As a whole, Tanev has a 50.82% goal share and a 51.07% expect goal share in 748:07 minutes played during five-on-five action. Tanev also leads the Flames in penalty kill minutes with 122:13, nearly six minutes more than Elias Lindholm, and just about 11 more minutes than the next defenceman.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 1 at 4:41 p.m.
Edited Feb. 1 at 5:19 p.m.
I mean...I know most of you go with the "business is business"....but Brodie was a workhorse for this team....has a NTC....dad recently died this past September....wife has M.S.

I just don't see the team approaching him to waive his NTC and dump his salary while making him move away from his family for a few months. There's a human element we on the outside quickly ignore...meanwhile teams want to a build a family-like culture....and Brad is supposedly known for paying special attention to the well-being and health of his players and their family....

so while I think it would make sense to try and snag a 2nd rounder for him and move the salary out....I will simply be very surprised if they look to move him
Saskleaf and aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 1 at 5:00 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Juice
I mean...I know most of you go with the "business is business"....but Brodie was a workhorse for this team....has a NTC....dad recently died this past September....wife has M.S.

I just don't see the team approaching him to waive his NTC and dump his salary while making him move away from his family for a few months. There's a human element we on the outside quickly ignore...meanwhile teams want to build a build a family-like culture....and Brad is supposedly known for paying special attention to the well-being and health of his players and their family....

so while I think it would make sense to try and snag a 2nd rounder for him and move the salary out....I will simply be very surprised if they look to move him

I guarantee they won't trade him, or anyone substantial for that matter. I think the Leafs should retool at the TDL, but it's not happening. We are going to stand pat and retool in the offseason
Saskleaf, RipNasty and Juice liked this.
Feb. 1 at 5:09 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
With the all star draft coming up, if have 2 questions
1. Do we know what the order is (who picks first)?
2. Which of Marner or Nylander is Matthews picking first? I’d guess Marner but it would go either way. Personally I think he should draft someone else like Pasta, Petterson or Kuch with his first pick though but I think he’s gonna want his buddies on his team
Feb. 1 at 5:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 1 at 5:15 p.m.
Quoting: Juice

I just don't see the team approaching him to waive his NTC and dump his salary while making him move away from his family for a few months. There's a human element we on the outside quickly ignore...meanwhile teams want to build a build a family-like culture....and Brad is supposedly known for paying special attention to the well-being and health of his players and their family....

To me Toronto should do to Brodie what Pitt did with Dumo. Lower him down the lineup

Brodie has regressed but is still a nice Dman to have. For the second of third pair I would not mind him. He just should not be on the top pair anymore which is fine

Cause to me even if u trade him for an upgrade your not really plugging in a hole. Your just making a new one and filling the old one. Unless your getting 1st + nice prospect makes 0 sense to sell

With CGY trading with a divisional rival twice has me curious for OTT and Chycrun he is someone I would love for this blue line

Rielly-McCabe
Chycrun-Brodie
Benoit-Liligren
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 1 at 5:32 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Saskleaf
With the all star draft coming up, if have 2 questions
1. Do we know what the order is (who picks first)?
2. Which of Marner or Nylander is Matthews picking first? I’d guess Marner but it would go either way. Personally I think he should draft someone else like Pasta, Petterson or Kuch with his first pick though but I think he’s gonna want his buddies on his team

CJ had something on Twitter about this, there was a lottery held earlier today (overseen by Gretzky) that will be announced sometime in the next half hour, and it's a snake draft

I personally think Auston is picking Nylander first. I hope the Leafs players arent all on the same team. McDavid and Marner vs. Matthews and Nylander would be a fun story
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 1 at 5:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 1 at 5:48 p.m.
https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1751735760598815123

Just imagine

That bomb from the point +big 4 easily turn the PP woes away
Feb. 1 at 5:43 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
CJ had something on Twitter about this, there was a lottery held earlier today (overseen by Gretzky) that will be announced sometime in the next half hour, and it's a snake draft

I personally think Auston is picking Nylander first. I hope the Leafs players arent all on the same team. McDavid and Marner vs. Matthews and Nylander would be a fun story

Ok interesting, that makes sense
Yah I could see it going either way. Definitely agree I’d like to see at least one of them on another team.
Feb. 1 at 6:03 p.m.
Rip
FLA went all in and it backfired

Chiarot also played a more physical game then Brodie and he showed it in the MTL series against us

At this point Brodie probs gets a 3rd like Ghost did which aint great

In general Leafs should not be selling

You are lost man
Feb. 1 at 6:04 p.m.
Rip
How is he not playing well or has the worst defensive numbers think someone forgot to check again.

Tanev has still been one of the better defensive RD in the NHL. Not afraid to block shots and is still an excellent PKer. Like the offense has gone down but thats not what u bring Tanev in for. You bring him for the defense, shotblocking and penalty kill

Also plays a ton against elite competition = 309.2 minutes, Flames outscore elite competition with him on the ice, as they have 16 goals for and just seven goals against when Tanev is on the ice.

As a whole, Tanev has a 50.82% goal share and a 51.07% expect goal share in 748:07 minutes played during five-on-five action. Tanev also leads the Flames in penalty kill minutes with 122:13, nearly six minutes more than Elias Lindholm, and just about 11 more minutes than the next defenceman.

3 year weighted data is literally written on this. This season his numbers are not strong
Feb. 1 at 6:04 p.m.
Rip

Use the same site for Brodie over a 3 year term and he looks terrific as well I would wager.
Feb. 1 at 6:10 p.m.
Saskoiler for now

Turns out you were right lol
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Feb. 1 at 6:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 1 at 6:46 p.m.
3 year weighted data is literally written on this. This season his numbers are not strong

Look at the 3rd year on the line dot = 99 for 5 on 5 defense 2023-2024 season.

How u can tell without need for weight

98 2021-2022 + 100 2022-2023 + 99 2023-2024 = 297/3 = 99 with at min to get 99 he has to be at 98

So thats where the 99 comes from. Hes still doing 99 even on a 3 year avg as hes been good defensively past 3 years including now. As anything ahead of 75% is excellent
Feb. 1 at 6:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 1 at 9:34 p.m.
You are lost man

Not really as nobody is paying high for Brodie, Chiarot was a whole different story. Those kinds of guys get 1sts not Brodie. As we saw in the summer teams want big physical Dman and are willing to overpay for em. Look what Yzerman gave him in the summer. Whether its trade or FA guys like this get more than they should

Brodie is a guy known for defense with no sense of offense and does not play with a physical presence. Yet this year his defensive strength has faltered to where he should not be top pair anymore. Next year guys probs gonna be on a 2-3m deal on the third pair somewhere.

Brodie at most gets a 3rd or two like ghost, Schenn, etc. with a very slight chance of a 2nd but with guys like Hanifin, Chycrun, and Tanev in this TDL doubtful. As why pay for him when u can go get someone a bit more expensive but better. If he played with a physical presence would see more value but nope lul.

But in the end they should not even be considering moving em
Feb. 1 at 6:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I guarantee they won't trade him, or anyone substantial for that matter. I think the Leafs should retool at the TDL, but it's not happening. We are going to stand pat and retool in the offseason

I doubt Brad stands pat.

Shanahan wont let em. U have 2 of your big 4 having career years with Matthews pushing 70 goals for the first time since Selanne and Mogilny in 92-93

With the big 4 u got to go for it. Not as hard as last year but cant do the standpat thats been done already. Cant do it twice in the Matthews era as whats a prospect who may not even be here when Matthews just entering his prime gonna do. By the time the kids start pushing his 4 year deal gonna be up and he gonna go see yah lul.

Brad's calling about every Dman under the sun rn got a feeling hes waiting to see by the TDL whose available before making his move. But yea need to address things and give em a chance.
Feb. 1 at 7:10 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I doubt Brad stands pat.

Shanahan wont let em. U have 2 of your big 4 having career years with Matthews pushing 70 goals for the first time since Selanne and Mogilny in 92-93

With the big 4 u got to go for it. Not as hard as last year but cant do the standpat thats been done already. Cant do it twice in the Matthews era as whats a prospect who may not even be here when Matthews just entering his prime gonna do. By the time the kids start pushing his 4 year deal gonna be up and he gonna go see yah lul.

Brad's calling about every Dman under the sun rn got a feeling hes waiting to see by the TDL whose available before making his move. But yea need to address things and give em a chance.

Remind me, did Dubas go all in when Matthews hit 60? Or literally any year other than last year? It's very rare that the Leafs truly go all in.
Saskleaf and Juice liked this.
Feb. 1 at 7:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 1 at 9:57 p.m.
Remind me, did Dubas go all in when Matthews hit 60? Or literally any year other than last year? It's very rare that the Leafs truly go all in.

Did you really want me to remind us of the Canadian Division that was something was trying to forget lul

Rittich for a 3rd

Nash for a 6th

Hutton for a 5th

Foligno for a 1st + 2 4ths

Etc

Dubas went pretty close to all in then. As thats a draft class of picks. No prospects but a draft class of picks

The year after that

3 2nd round picks and a 3rd for Blackwell + Giordano + Lybushkin. Again no use of prospects but a good chunk of picks

Only year Dubas didnt do much 2019-2020 but losing to a Zamboni driver will do that.

Dubas every TDL but one made a significant move or a move in general

2018-2019

1st + Durzi (2nd round pick) + Grundstrom (2nd round pick)

A single trade but when u give up two prospects like that ad a 1st thats expensive.

2019-2020

None (Zamboni effect no way u add after that)

2021-2022

Rittich for a 3rd

Nash for a 6th

Hutton for a 5th

2022-2023 (Matthews 60 goals)

Ritchie + 2nd for Lybushkin

2 2nds + 3rd for Blackwell + Giordano

2022-2023

3rd for Schenn

Engvall for 3rd

Sandin for 1st + Gustafsson

1st + 2nd + AHL players for McCabe + Lafferty + 2 5ths

1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th for ROR + Acciari

In the end, u got Matthews in his prime rn along with Willy and Marner. U dont draft sit and wait especially with Matthews deal not being a long one.

Brad's making calls on every Dman under the sun so hes looking. Spend the assets get someone to fix this Dcore not just now but for next season to and maybe even beyond that
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 2 at 9:21 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
They absolutely should move him if they can get a good pick for him. Or a younger defenceman who may need a fresh start. Who, I don't know but making some changes and recouping some futures is the path for this season.

I agree with that
RipNasty liked this.
Feb. 2 at 10:10 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Did you really want me to remind us of the Canadian Division that was something was trying to forget lul

Rittich for a 3rd

Nash for a 6th

Hutton for a 5th

Etc

Dubas went pretty close to all in then. As thats a draft class of picks. No prospects but a draft class of picks

The year after that

3 2nd round picks and a 3rd for Blackwell + Giordano + Lybushkin. Again no use of prospects but a good chunk of picks

Only year Dubas didnt do much 2019-2020 but losing to a Zamboni driver will do that.

Dubas every TDL but one made a significant move or a move in general

2018-2019

1st + Durzi (2nd round pick) + Grundstrom (2nd round pick)

A single trade but when u give up two prospects like that ad a 1st thats expensive.

2019-2020

None (Zamboni effect no way u add after that)

2021-2022

Rittich for a 3rd

Nash for a 6th

Hutton for a 5th

2022-2023 (Matthews 60 goals)

Ritchie + 2nd for Lybushkin

2 2nds + 3rd for Blackwell + Giordano

2022-2023

3rd for Schenn

Engvall for 3rd

Sandin for 1st + Gustafsson

1st + 2nd + AHL players for McCabe + Lafferty + 2 5ths

1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th for ROR + Acciari

In the end, u got Matthews in his prime rn along with Willy and Marner. U dont draft sit and wait especially with Matthews deal not being a long one.

Brad's making calls on every Dman under the sun so hes looking. Spend the assets get someone to fix this Dcore not just now but for next season to and maybe even beyond that

😂 Pretty big stretch for call that going on all, literally zero of those players are difference makers.

If that's the idea of the Leafs going in all, then I hope they never go all in again. Also, Nash didn't even cost a pick, we sent a cond. 7th and didn't even have to send it over. Last year's deadline was the only time the Lwafs truly went all in.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll