Forums/Armchair-GM

Selling At or Before Deadline

Created by: netminder71
Team: 2023-24 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 22, 2024
Published: Jan. 22, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If somehow the Caps could create $25M in cap space by post-deadline or draft, they could afford a top line center, another hard working NHL caliber goalie, and some depth.
Trades
WSH
WPG
  1. Kuznetsov, Evgeny ($1,800,000 retained)
Additional Details:
He has really overstayed his welcome in DC and sadly has negative value.
WSH
SJS
  1. Mantha, Anthony
Additional Details:
Anywhere really for some kind of pick back please
WSH
OTT
  1. Jensen, Nick ($550,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Jensen underwhelms and his contract is an overpay for a middle D with fading skills.
WSH
EDM
  1. Kuemper, Darcy
Additional Details:
Darcy has impressed no one in DC and is also on another GMBM bad deal.
WSH
BOS
  1. Edmundson, Joel
Additional Details:
He would probably help a contender...
WSH
CBJ
  1. Johansen, Lucas
Additional Details:
DId not show the skill set, health, or really anything while in the Caps system
WSH
ANA
  1. Malenstyn, Beck
Additional Details:
I have not seen anything worth keeping him, even on the 4th line
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the COL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$58,915,000$20,000$2,315,000$24,585,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 1
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$2,000,000$2M)
LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$232,500$232K)
C
RFA - 2
$789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,675,000$2,675,000
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$2,062,500$2,062,500
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 22 at 7:35 p.m.
Probably costs to dump Kuznetsov
Jan. 22 at 7:39 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Leafs want TVR!
Jan. 22 at 7:40 p.m.
Fire the coach first.

Rookie coaches have been useless.
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Jan. 22 at 7:42 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Ottawa, Columbus and Anaheim are sellers as well, Not sure why any of them would make those trades.
Jan. 22 at 7:46 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Fire the coach first.

Rookie coaches have been useless.

Carberry is absolutely not the problem. The problem is a roster full of old, slow guys who can't keep up with the pace of today's league. A lot of the changes Carberry's made (more passes breaking out of the dzone, more of a zone defensive coverage, etc.) have proven to be quite positive. He's finding ways to win games the Caps have no business being in.

If the Caps are able to clear all this cap space, yes they can now afford to add a top line center and others, but who do you get? It's apparent that Elias Lindholm isn't a true 1C, and there's nobody else that may be a UFA that fits this description. If GMBM goes the trade route, who's going to be available? Maybe Zegras? Even then, he hasn't proven to be a true 1C either. And what assets does this team really have to go get a guy like that?
SomeonesOffended, netminder71, NoVaSpartan and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 22 at 7:52 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
Quoting: MoSeider53
Ottawa, Columbus and Anaheim are sellers as well, Not sure why any of them would make those trades.

Simply placeholders...not actual destinations
Jan. 22 at 7:52 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
Quoting: krakowitz
Carberry is absolutely not the problem. The problem is a roster full of old, slow guys who can't keep up with the pace of today's league. A lot of the changes Carberry's made (more passes breaking out of the dzone, more of a zone defensive coverage, etc.) have proven to be quite positive. He's finding ways to win games the Caps have no business being in.

If the Caps are able to clear all this cap space, yes they can now afford to add a top line center and others, but who do you get? It's apparent that Elias Lindholm isn't a true 1C, and there's nobody else that may be a UFA that fits this description. If GMBM goes the trade route, who's going to be available? Maybe Zegras? Even then, he hasn't proven to be a true 1C either. And what assets does this team really have to go get a guy like that?

Agree the issue is age and effort, not Carberry
krakowitz and SomeonesOffended liked this.
Jan. 22 at 7:55 p.m.
Edited Jan. 22 at 8:02 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz

Quoting: netminder71
Agree the issue is age and effort, not Carberry

Carberry worked for and trained under Dubas/Keefe of the Leafs; umm... I wouldn't be praising him yet.

LOL

#1C isn't available anywhere. Maybe Stamkos is Tbay botches that contract resigning this summer. Or bring back C. Stephenson.
Jan. 22 at 8:01 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Simply placeholders...not actual destinations

That's good, That had me worried a little bit. sarcasm
Jan. 22 at 8:16 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Carberry worked for and trained under Dubas/Keefe of the Leafs; umm... I wouldn't be praising him yet.

LOL

#1C isn't available anywhere. Maybe Stamkos is Tbay botches that contract resigning this summer. Or bring back C. Stephenson.

He's also coached for the Caps ECHL and AHL teams before going to Toronto for a few years. It's obviously too early to say if he's going to be a high end coach in this league, but he's doing a damn good job with the roster he's been given in Year 1. We'll see how things shake out when/if he's got a real good team to coach
Jan. 22 at 10:20 p.m.
Lindgren, let's have the ask?
Jan. 24 at 4:52 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
Quoting: Smitty426
Lindgren, let's have the ask?

As the only goalie in the Caps system that can stop a puck these days the price is high...a 2nd and a very good C prospect? Maybe more...I am out of answers as the Caps cannot get a decent stretch out of Kuemper.
Smitty426 liked this.
Jan. 24 at 5:20 p.m.
As the only goalie in the Caps system that can stop a puck these days the price is high...a 2nd and a very good C prospect? Maybe more...I am out of answers as the Caps cannot get a decent stretch out of Kuemper.

Got it, too much for us, thx
Jan. 25 at 1:26 p.m.

Check out Clay Stevenson's numbers this year, he's been the best goalie in the AHL this season and it's not even close. He needs to be on the Caps' roster next season to see if he can keep it up at the NHL level.
Jan. 25 at 1:41 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Kalopsia
Check out Clay Stevenson's numbers this year, he's been the best goalie in the AHL this season and it's not even close. He needs to be on the Caps' roster next season to see if he can keep it up at the NHL level.

I've been a big believer in Stevenson since before he got signed, but I imagine he'll get a longer look in the AHL for a couple reasons. In the past, Caps goalies have looked good in Hershey but if team defense takes a drop the goalie's numbers fall off the cliff. I don't see this in Stevenson but it has happened to Copley and Fucale over the last couple years so worthy of noting. Also, I expect them to really try to make Shepard work before they go to Stevenson, even though Stevenson has a better ceiling (and potentially floor). Shepard's gotten the call over Stevenson the last couple times and the organization seems to really want to make him work before they go to Stevenson. Most importantly though, the Caps don't want to potentially rush him up, and since he'd likely get backup starts behind Kuemper they may not want to bring him up early and ruin his confidence since he alone won't make or break the team.
Jan. 25 at 5:41 p.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
I've been a big believer in Stevenson since before he got signed, but I imagine he'll get a longer look in the AHL for a couple reasons. In the past, Caps goalies have looked good in Hershey but if team defense takes a drop the goalie's numbers fall off the cliff. I don't see this in Stevenson but it has happened to Copley and Fucale over the last couple years so worthy of noting. Also, I expect them to really try to make Shepard work before they go to Stevenson, even though Stevenson has a better ceiling (and potentially floor). Shepard's gotten the call over Stevenson the last couple times and the organization seems to really want to make him work before they go to Stevenson. Most importantly though, the Caps don't want to potentially rush him up, and since he'd likely get backup starts behind Kuemper they may not want to bring him up early and ruin his confidence since he alone won't make or break the team.

Clay's gonna be 25 by the end of this season, I don't know how much more slowly they can play this. I don't see the similarity to Copley or Fucale either.

Copley had his great (but still well shy of Clay) AHL season in 16-17 at the same age as Clay, and then the Caps didn't give him a single appearance at the NHL level the next season and he fell back to earth. The Caps brought him up to be the backup after his very meh 17-18 season when he was 26 and already looked like his development had stalled.

Fucale never actually had a good AHL season. He got called up a couple times due to injuries during a very pedestrian AHL season, had a couple good games that got the fans hyped, then went back down to the AHL and kept on being mediocre.

I think you might as well give Clay the backup role and start trying to ease him into the NHL. Shepard's 28 and pretty much a finished product. Clay's the guy with a shot a figuring into the team's long term plans, so let's see what we've really got.
Jan. 25 at 5:59 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Kalopsia
Clay's gonna be 25 by the end of this season, I don't know how much more slowly they can play this. I don't see the similarity to Copley or Fucale either.

Copley had his great (but still well shy of Clay) AHL season in 16-17 at the same age as Clay, and then the Caps didn't give him a single appearance at the NHL level the next season and he fell back to earth. The Caps brought him up to be the backup after his very meh 17-18 season when he was 26 and already looked like his development had stalled.

Fucale never actually had a good AHL season. He got called up a couple times due to injuries during a very pedestrian AHL season, had a couple good games that got the fans hyped, then went back down to the AHL and kept on being mediocre.

I think you might as well give Clay the backup role and start trying to ease him into the NHL. Shepard's 28 and pretty much a finished product. Clay's the guy with a shot a figuring into the team's long term plans, so let's see what we've really got.

I'm not as concerned with a goalies age, they normally take far more time to develop than any other position, but the main point is that he's only had half a season of AHL play, and calling him up to start next year would be risky, considering the Capitals also gave Samsonov only one year in the AHL. My point with Fucale when he received his callup is that he was around a .920 in Hershey, but the moment the defense cooled down, so did Fucale. Hershey being so incredibly good this year makes it hard for me to have total faith in Stevenson coming up so soon, since I watched Fucale fall back to earth two years ago. They may not be the same player but its a valuable comparison since Hershey is so good right now. He'll also be waiver exempt for another year so I fully expect them to start him in the AHL since they don't have the same luxury with anyone else. I fully expect him to be getting playing time next year but I don't expect it to be a large workload, especially since the Capitals have been historically slow with prospects. And if there's one position you can be slower with, it's goalie.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll