Forums/Armchair-GM

Does This Make Sense

Created by: Mr_Gardoki
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2024
Published: Jan. 25, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Look, this would never happen, but does it make sense for either team?

Pens would need to make a secondary trade for another RHD, but this could cause a few other moves to reshape the defense.
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$81,832,342$0$0$1,667,658
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 25 at 10:07 a.m.
Pens are better
Im sure the pens would have to add a decent amount
Banned
Quoting: Imagine874859
Im sure the pens would have to add a decent amount

Why?
Trad Breliving
Leafs say hell no, Pens would need to add but still wouldn't make sense for the leafs
Jan. 25 at 10:10 a.m.
Pens are better
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
Why?

Karlsson is underperforming, not to mention he's 7 years older than Marner. We'd have to add quite a bit dude
Jan. 25 at 10:16 a.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Leafs pass and marner ain’t waiving you’d have to add 3 firsts for us to even think about it before we still turn it down
Jan. 25 at 10:23 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: SomeonesOffended
Leafs pass and marner ain’t waiving you’d have to add 3 firsts for us to even think about it before we still turn it down

Congrats on the silliest post of the year.
Jan. 25 at 10:24 a.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Congrats on the silliest post of the year.

We wouldn’t take Karlsson for free so you still need to pay for marner lmao
Jan. 25 at 10:25 a.m.
Banned
Karlsson is underperforming, not to mention he's 7 years older than Marner. We'd have to add quite a bit dude

How is Karlsson underperforming? He's on pace for 62 points. Older and term on the contract? Ok, that's valid, but he's not underperforming. Defensively he's actually been better than usual, but don't mistake my comment lol. He's still not GOOD defensively, but his defensive metrics haven't been nearly as bad as usual plus nobody is taking him for his defense.
Jan. 25 at 10:27 a.m.
Pens are better
How is Karlsson underperforming? He's on pace for 62 points. Older and term on the contract? Ok, that's valid, but he's not underperforming. Defensively he's actually been better than usual, but don't mistake my comment lol. He's still not GOOD defensively, but his defensive metrics haven't been nearly as bad as usual plus nobody is taking him for his defense.

Look around, I dont think anyone is really thrilled with this, It's an interesting idea and ofc I would do it, but realistically we'd have to add
SomeonesOffended liked this.
Jan. 25 at 10:31 a.m.
Banned
Look around, I dont think anyone is really thrilled with this, It's an interesting idea and ofc I would do it, but realistically we'd have to add

Well first off, telling me to look around on a board full of lunatics isn't a great argument. I'm also just gauging things looking for valid reasons and haven't really received any yet. I could see the Pens having to add because of the term left, but people saying things like firsts is a sign of incredibly low intelligence. Also, Leafs fans are the lowest common denominator on this board. There's maybe one or two that are reasonable, but most of them are the bottom of the barrel of posters.

Saying he's underperforming is just an incorrect statement. He's been as advertised, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wound being the right decision for this team.
Jan. 25 at 10:53 a.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Well first off, telling me to look around on a board full of lunatics isn't a great argument. I'm also just gauging things looking for valid reasons and haven't really received any yet. I could see the Pens having to add because of the term left, but people saying things like firsts is a sign of incredibly low intelligence. Also, Leafs fans are the lowest common denominator on this board. There's maybe one or two that are reasonable, but most of them are the bottom of the barrel of posters.

Saying he's underperforming is just an incorrect statement. He's been as advertised, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wound being the right decision for this team.

Zero lunatics just a bunch of practical people not one person has told you think is a good idea maybe you’re the lunatic for suggesting it
Imagine874859 liked this.
Jan. 25 at 10:57 a.m.
Banned
Zero lunatics just a bunch of practical people not one person has told you think is a good idea maybe you’re the lunatic for suggesting it

First, I never claimed the deal works for either team. I put it out there looking for valid feedback because they both fill needs for either team. Second, your feedback wasn't valid. It offered no real constructive criticism, reasoning or rationale. It was just a typical obnoxious leafs fans response based on no real logic or thought, but I'm not surprised, people like you aren't capable of intelligent thought.

Welcome to being a typical capfriendly leafs fans.
Jan. 25 at 10:59 a.m.
Pens are better
First, I never claimed the deal works for either team. I put it out there looking for valid feedback because they both fill needs for either team. Second, your feedback wasn't valid. It offered no real constructive criticism, reasoning or rationale. It was just a typical obnoxious leafs fans response based on no real logic or thought, but I'm not surprised, people like you aren't capable of intelligent thought.

So you wanted feedback and got defensive when you got it? Interesting
Jan. 25 at 11:01 a.m.
Banned
So you wanted feedback and got defensive when you got it? Interesting

But I didn't get feedback from him. "Nope," "Leafs decline"... stuff like that isn't feedback. You gave some rationale that I simply disagreed with cordially, but I guess you missed that part. He did not give any rationale. He just made an obnoxious statement.
Jan. 25 at 11:04 a.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper

lol I gave you wonderful reasoning we wouldn’t take Karlsson for free so you gotta pay for marner, either you don’t know how to read or you have terrible short term memory either way it’s never gonna happen
Jan. 25 at 11:05 a.m.
Banned
lol I gave you wonderful reasoning we wouldn’t take Karlsson for free so you gotta pay for marner, either you don’t know how to read or you have terrible short term memory either way it’s never gonna happen

You gave no reasoning whatsoever. Literally not one piece of information. Just that we need to add three firsts or wouldn't take him for free. No reasoning. I guess maybe you could possibly just have a critical thinking problem which would make sense.
Jan. 25 at 11:06 a.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
You gave no reasoning whatsoever. Literally not one piece of information. Just that we need to add three firsts or wouldn't take him for free. No reasoning. I guess maybe you could possibly just have a critical thinking problem which would make sense.

It’s all the reasoning you need just delete this nonsense please
Jan. 25 at 11:06 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: SociallyHawkward
Karlsson doesn't have nearly as much value as marner. Karlsson is 2 seasons removed from being one of the worst contracts in the league. Yeah he's rebounded a bit but to suggest he has the value of a 26 year old star is delusional at best.

Well first off, I didn't "suggest" one had more or less than the other. To call me delusional for simply asking a question? Maybe you need thicker skin.
Jan. 25 at 11:07 a.m.
Banned
It’s all the reasoning you need just delete this nonsense please

LOL you're simply proving my point. Thanks!
Jan. 25 at 11:21 a.m.
Doesn't make sense, Karlsson is the exact player the Leafs don't need: purely offence, 0 physicality & high cap-hit. They already have one of those in Rielly

Not to mention that he's 7 years older than Marner and has longer term. Penguins would have to add but the Leafs would decline regardless
SociallyHawkward liked this.
Jan. 25 at 11:25 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: dh91
Doesn't make sense, Karlsson is the exact player the Leafs don't need: purely offence, 0 physicality & high cap-hit. They already have one of those in Rielly

Not to mention that he's 7 years older than Marner and has longer term. Penguins would have to add but the Leafs would decline regardless

Fair points. I can accept that rationale. If only others understood the assignment.
Jan. 25 at 11:51 a.m.
Edited Jan. 25 at 12:01 p.m. by Rooney
Why?

Hi welcome to Cap Friendly,

One of these guys is a Over PPG player who is a 6 time 20 goal scorer,multi time 90+ point scorer,selke runner up & one of the most prolific playmakers in hockey who is sublime on the PK plus is only 27

Karlsson is a 33 yr old 2 Time Norris Trophy winner who gets paid 10 mil & puts up points,with injury history who can QB a PP & that’s about it

Value is not close what so ever, to even think of this you’re likely adding a prospect most likely Pickering & a 1st on top of that, I can see the Pens getting a 2024 3rd back but that is about it

Look at this objectively

The Leafs in this trade lose a Top 10 RW in the League & get a Top 30 defensemen who really doesn’t help the issues with the defence for basically the same cap hit, if you really think that is fair value then you actually are insane Pickering would need to be included as well as a 1st next year or 2nd this year, maybe we’ll send you Niemela & Hirvonen back to Kyle as a Thank You but Value wise you’re off by alot
Jan. 25 at 12:46 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: T0R
Hi welcome to Cap Friendly,

One of these guys is a Over PPG player who is a 6 time 20 goal scorer,multi time 90+ point scorer,selke runner up & one of the most prolific playmakers in hockey who is sublime on the PK plus is only 27

Karlsson is a 33 yr old 2 Time Norris Trophy winner who gets paid 10 mil & puts up points,with injury history who can QB a PP & that’s about it

Value is not close what so ever, to even think of this you’re likely adding a prospect most likely Pickering & a 1st on top of that, I can see the Pens getting a 2024 3rd back but that is about it

Look at this objectively

The Leafs in this trade lose a Top 10 RW in the League & get a Top 30 defensemen who really doesn’t help the issues with the defence for basically the same cap hit, if you really think that is fair value then you actually are insane Pickering would need to be included as well as a 1st next year or 2nd this year, maybe we’ll send you Niemela & Hirvonen back to Kyle as a Thank You but Value wise you’re off by alot

I guess your attitude is weird because I wasn't suggesting the value adds up. I legit asked if this makes sense or not, but congrats on behaving like all most leafs fans on here. You could have presented your argument in a much different way and I'd bother discussing with you. As you see in another leafs fan in this post who presented an argument without acting obnoxious and I conceded he had valid points. With you? Maybe edit this one more time, behave like a decent person and I'll continue. Otherwise, don't bother.

And I'm quite familiar with capfriendly which is why I'm not surprised by your behavior.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll