Forums/Armchair-GM

3C scoring top 6 winger heavy bottom 6 winger

Created by: mvp13
Team: 2023-24 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 29, 2024
Published: Jan. 30, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Now that we know Chytil is shut down for the season, I thought I'd re-do my TDL target team.

I think letting Vatrano walk in FA was a big mistake. There's been a hole ever since. We're righting a wrong here, and probably over-paying a bit to do it. Important to note that Vatrano is under contract next year. His retention amount can be adjusted as needed, I just did 50% to be safe. I wish Kakko the best, but our window is now. Everyone says Kakko being bad is Quinn's fault, well he's had a top 6 shot all year and he has 3 points since returning from injury, 2 goals in complete garbage time with seconds to go in the game. Even before injury he wasn't very good playing top 6 minutes. It's unfortunately time to move on. Hopefully a change of scenery and less pressure will be good for him.

Henrique continues to be my prime 3C target. I'll go over why I think Lindholm or Monahan aren't the best idea.

Lindholm: As the CGY team has dipped in talent, so has his play. If we ask him to come here and play 3C with Cuylle and Wheeler, I don't think he'd make much of a difference. And, if we put him in the top 6, then the same hole that we currently have still remains, and I don't think we have assets or cap space to get both. I think he also takes much more to acquire than what's here.

Monahan: This is kind of a low blow, but for a rental during crunch time and the playoffs, I don't think going with someone with his injury history is smart asset spending. I love Monahan, but I feel it's a risk we can't take. I know anyone in the league can get injured at any time, but I feel it's different with him. He's been healthy for all year, but playoff hockey is different

And Maroon is just a wishlist item for all teams I'll be making. NYR definitely need some more size on the 4th line, and Maroon is perfect for that. I also have him parking in front of the net on PP2. He's a winner and invaluable. I'm sure MIN will be getting calls from all 16 playoff teams, so his price might drive up a little. To me, whatever it takes.

I'm not making any changes to defense because that's impossible right now. It'll figure itself out, or if it doesn't, that'll need to be an off season thing.
Trades
NYR
  1. Henrique, Adam ($2,912,500 retained)
  2. Vatrano, Frank ($1,825,000 retained)
ANA
MIN
  1. 2024 4th round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
Add whatever pick/prospect would be needed.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$83,500,000$78,981,166$610,892$882,500$4,518,834

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,825,000$1,825,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,325,000$2,325,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
-$1,456,250-$1,456,250
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,872,000$3,872,000
LD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$825,000$825,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,437,500$4,437,500
C, LW
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 30 at 10:14 a.m.
Anaheim accepts — when you take Vatrano out of the deal of course
GiggywithGibby liked this.
Jan. 30 at 10:23 a.m.
Not enough for both Rico and Vatrano. Not worth the assets to bring him back lol. NYR fans just can’t let things go
Jan. 30 at 10:38 a.m.
Vatrano's price is going to be prohibitive. Henrique for a 2nd and B prospect.

Like the Maroon trade.
Jan. 30 at 10:57 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
I guess I have to wonder where you are valuing Kakko, Jones, and Trivigno at?

Kakko is a bust/ big project, I wouldn't pay much to acquire him from Anaheim and hope a fresh start fixes him.

Jones is the type of undersized, offense first LHD we already have to many of, he adds minimal value.

Trivigno is an AHL player and provides zero additional value.

So why is Anaheim considering this when we would probably ask for a 2nd and Kakko for just Henrique with retention? That's not even beginning to scratch the ask for Vatrano.
Jan. 30 at 11:09 a.m.
adam.
Quoting: GeneralLandro

Weird because it's probably an overpay by the Rangers.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jan. 30 at 11:13 a.m.
Quoting: GeneralLandro

That'd be way too much for just Henrique haha... what more would you think for Vatrano?
Jan. 30 at 11:19 a.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby

Kakko is a bust/ big project, I wouldn't pay much to acquire him from Anaheim and hope a fresh start fixes him.

Jones is the type of undersized, offense first LHD we already have to many of, he adds minimal value.

So why is Anaheim considering this when we would probably ask for a 2nd and Kakko for just Henrique with retention? That's not even beginning to scratch the ask for Vatrano.

I think it's still too early to call him a complete bust. It could benefit to go to ANA where he'll get constant top 6 minutes and power play time, and most importantly no pressure. He's still young and there are plenty of late bloomers out there, Kreider being a perfect example. Problem is NYR can't keep waiting.

Jones can be swapped with Robertson if needed. I picked Jones because he has immediate NHL experience and power play ability. He has some experience at RD. I know you have Minty for offense at LD, but could always use another. Fowler seems to be playing RD these days. Unfortunately NYR doesn't have too much else to offer at D, I was kind of looking to give ANA a bit of everything here.

Bobby Trivago was this alleged high valued prospect when NYR signed him, but I can't imagine he ever gets a chance with NYR. I was kind of going off of that, but maybe things have changed and they waited too long. He can be swapped with anyone but Cuylle/Othmann pretty comfortably. Maybe Sykora would have been better to put, but I already felt this was pretty close. I guess it really depends how you would feel on Kakko.
Jan. 30 at 11:39 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: crimsonchin23
Weird because it's probably an overpay by the Rangers.

Weird because Vatrano would be third on the rangers in scoring right now, yet he makes half of 2nd places salary, and a quarter of the guy who is leading in scoring, a d yet retention for two seasons is requested, we view this as a gross underpayment.
Jan. 30 at 12:01 p.m.

I feel like we’ve got to be more realistic here, right? Henrique is worth a 2nd and ‘meh’ prospect more likely than not. While Kakko has been disappointing, he’s still 22/23 years old as a former 2nd overall pick and does have over 100 NHL points. Is he a project? Yes. But I’d have to think you’d take him easily over a package of a 2nd and ‘meh’ prospect. So Kakko > Henrique for sure

That leaves a 1st, a LHD (which is of no interest to ANA) and an AHLer for Vatrano. Is that enough to make it worth moving him? No. But there is a bit of spillover value from the Henrique/Kakko swap.

Would I take this? Honestly probably not, I think we should be holding Vatrano u til next TDL and gladly taking back a bit less value. But I don’t think it’s fair to say that this is far off
mvp13 liked this.
Jan. 30 at 1:00 p.m.
adam.
Weird because Vatrano would be third on the rangers in scoring right now, yet he makes half of 2nd places salary, and a quarter of the guy who is leading in scoring, a d yet retention for two seasons is requested, we view this as a gross underpayment.

Vatrano would be 6th amongst Rangers forwards in EV points, which is important as he would not play significant PP time for the Rangers. And he's having a likely unsustainable career year inflated by playing significant minutes on a team that isn't good. A 2nd overall pick from three years ago that has struggled but shown significant potential (and has many more years of control) plus a first is worth way more than Vatrano. I understand why a Ducks fan would see an underpayment due to their own biases, and I concede that I have my own biases, but you have to look at the objective big picture. If you want a significant package like Kakko + 1st, you're going to have to look elsewhere and I doubt any GMs would be willing to part ways with that much capital for Vatrano.
Jan. 30 at 2:16 p.m.
Quoting: Jded
I feel like we’ve got to be more realistic here, right? Henrique is worth a 2nd and ‘meh’ prospect more likely than not. While Kakko has been disappointing, he’s still 22/23 years old as a former 2nd overall pick and does have over 100 NHL points. Is he a project? Yes. But I’d have to think you’d take him easily over a package of a 2nd and ‘meh’ prospect. So Kakko > Henrique for sure

That leaves a 1st, a LHD (which is of no interest to ANA) and an AHLer for Vatrano. Is that enough to make it worth moving him? No. But there is a bit of spillover value from the Henrique/Kakko swap.

Would I take this? Honestly probably not, I think we should be holding Vatrano u til next TDL and gladly taking back a bit less value. But I don’t think it’s fair to say that this is far off

I'd have no problem swapping Jones and Trivago for 2 other offensive prospects like Berard and Sykora if that'd make it work. Or Robertson on D. I think only Perrault and Othmann would be off the table.

It's hard to know every team's prospect needs, I was more going with Kakko and the 1st as the main thing, while giving ANA an NHL ready D and a close to NHL forward. I feel like ANA wants to get closer to competing while still gaining future assets, so that's why I was trying more NHL ready guys. Thanks for understanding
Jan. 30 at 8:28 p.m.
Quoting: mvp13
I'd have no problem swapping Jones and Trivago for 2 other offensive prospects like Berard and Sykora if that'd make it work. Or Robertson on D. I think only Perrault and Othmann would be off the table.

It's hard to know every team's prospect needs, I was more going with Kakko and the 1st as the main thing, while giving ANA an NHL ready D and a close to NHL forward. I feel like ANA wants to get closer to competing while still gaining future assets, so that's why I was trying more NHL ready guys. Thanks for understanding

I totally hear you. Ultimately it’d come down to Verbeek’s belief in Kakko turning it around. Which I’m personally not very bullish on. So even with those tinkers I’d just rather keep Vatrano for another year.My argument is really just that in terms of value it’s not egregious.

Our own young players on the roster need the vet leadership and example he sets, and we’re already likely going to lose some of that from Henrique, Lyubushkin, and possibly Silfverberg and Carrick. Unless an offer blows us away, I’d rather just take less in a year
mvp13 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll