Forums/Armchair-GM

Canucks go all in

Created by: djmbrown
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 2, 2024
Published: Feb. 2, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Rationale is that Coleman is an upgrade on Garland at the same price. Tanev is a big defensive upgrade on Myers for 1.5 cheaper. He also signs an extension as part of the deal. Lekkermaki is a high end prospect but if you’re all in then you gotta go for it. I know nobody ever wants to give up their top prospects but if it means you better your odds at a cup it’s worth it.
Trades
CGY
  1. Garland, Conor
  2. Lekkerimäki, Jonathan
  3. Myers, Tyler
  4. 2025 1st round pick (VAN)
  5. 2026 4th round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Coleman, Blake
  2. Tanev, Christopher
Additional Details:
Tanev signs extension at 4x4
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$79,463,333$0$212,500$4,036,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 2 at 11:54 a.m.
Way too much for the Canucks to give up, we'd rather keep Garland, the price of Tanev is said to be a 2nd round pick + and Lekkeriamaki is off the table in any trade
Feb. 2 at 11:58 a.m.
Big Shoots
delete this
canucksfan43 liked this.
Feb. 2 at 12:03 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
I do get your rationale on this, but I'm not convinced the swap of Coleman for Garland is worth it for the Canucks if they have to give up a top prospect. Coleman's been very good offensively this year but Garland has been (an admittedly overpriced) part of a great 3rd line in VAN. He's playing very well under Tocchet's system even if it doesn't show as much on the scoreboard.

I still think a Myers for Tanev swap should be looked at by Allvin, but it seems they don't want to pay a 1st for him. Likely there's another team that will.
Feb. 2 at 12:06 p.m.
Go Canucks
So the reported price for Tanev is a 1st rounder. That means that we'll be giving up Garland, Meyers, Lekkerimaki and a 4th for Coleman?
Feb. 2 at 1:14 p.m.
DBrown
Quoting: canucksfan43
Way too much for the Canucks to give up, we'd rather keep Garland, the price of Tanev is said to be a 2nd round pick + and Lekkeriamaki is off the table in any trade

Right but when there’s 10 teams interested then the price goes up. Do you think the price Vancouver paid was the price that Lindholm was “said to get”? Nope Vancouver wanted him so they paid the price to get him.
Feb. 2 at 1:15 p.m.
DBrown
Quoting: BigShoots
delete this

I will after you delete your account
Feb. 2 at 1:23 p.m.
DBrown
Quoting: alwaysnextyear
I do get your rationale on this, but I'm not convinced the swap of Coleman for Garland is worth it for the Canucks if they have to give up a top prospect. Coleman's been very good offensively this year but Garland has been (an admittedly overpriced) part of a great 3rd line in VAN. He's playing very well under Tocchet's system even if it doesn't show as much on the scoreboard.

I still think a Myers for Tanev swap should be looked at by Allvin, but it seems they don't want to pay a 1st for him. Likely there's another team that will.

Quoting: alwaysnextyear

Good constructive post here. I appreciate that. I think Coleman is a big upgrade on Garland. Garland has played “better” but you still have him for another 3 years for a third line guy who doesn’t chip in much offensively. Coleman is showing his offensive ability and can play the physical style arguably better than Garland too. In my eyes that’s a big upgrade.

Myers is terrible defensively. Everyone has known this his whole career. Tanev has been a warrior and is known to elevate the play of anyone he’s paired with his entire career. There’s a reason there are 10 teams interested in the guy for playoffs. That also drives the price up. So when we look at things it’s about what the market dictates and based on competition for the player.

I think it would be a lot to give up but it would make your chances at raising the big mug so much better this year. This is the year the Nucks seem to be going for it so might as well give yourselves the best chances you can.
Feb. 2 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: djmbrown
Right but when there’s 10 teams interested then the price goes up. Do you think the price Vancouver paid was the price that Lindholm was “said to get”? Nope Vancouver wanted him so they paid the price to get him.

You're absolutely correct; however, the Canucks don't want or need Tanev that bad. They're especially not going to be interested in moving out size at the deadline. As mystifying as Myers is to almost everyone, he's a giant who the coaching staff love. He's also a $6M expiring contract that can probably be signed for less next season. That's an attractive piece for some teams, like the Canucks.
Feb. 2 at 2:03 p.m.

If thats the price then we'll pass, Lekkeriamaki is off the table no matter what. Sorry, your kidding yourself if you think they'd trade him in that package, let alone at all. "10 teams interseted" Dont you think he'd be traded by now if there was 10 teams interested? Enjoy the 2nd round pick youll get for Tanev
Feb. 2 at 2:29 p.m.
DBrown
Quoting: canucksfan43
If thats the price then we'll pass, Lekkeriamaki is off the table no matter what. Sorry, your kidding yourself if you think they'd trade him in that package, let alone at all. "10 teams interseted" Dont you think he'd be traded by now if there was 10 teams interested? Enjoy the 2nd round pick youll get for Tanev

I’ll take a bet on that every day that we get more than a 2nd for Tanev. I guess you don’t understand how markets work. 10 teams interested means you talk back and forth to see what teams are willing to offer. It also includes patience to wait for teams who maybe become more desperate. I’d say Quinn Hughes goes down for an extended time then what the Canucks are willing to give up probably changes. Thats just one example. You think Vancouver’s initial offer for Lindholm was what they ended up paying? There were tons of Nucks trade offers for Lindholm on here that were way less than what you paid for him.

It’s fine if the answer is no dude. No need to get so defensive about it. It sure doesn’t mean that Tanev is only worth a 2nd just because you’re not willing to pay the ask in this particular scenario.

Some of you guys on here need to chill. Ideas are things to be discussed. If you aren’t able to do it in constructive ways maybe this site isn’t for you wink
Feb. 2 at 2:45 p.m.
I’ll take a bet on that every day that we get more than a 2nd for Tanev. I guess you don’t understand how markets work. 10 teams interested means you talk back and forth to see what teams are willing to offer. It also includes patience to wait for teams who maybe become more desperate. I’d say Quinn Hughes goes down for an extended time then what the Canucks are willing to give up probably changes. Thats just one example. You think Vancouver’s initial offer for Lindholm was what they ended up paying? There were tons of Nucks trade offers for Lindholm on here that were way less than what you paid for him.

It’s fine if the answer is no dude. No need to get so defensive about it. It sure doesn’t mean that Tanev is only worth a 2nd just because you’re not willing to pay the ask in this particular scenario.

Some of you guys on here need to chill. Ideas are things to be discussed. If you aren’t able to do it in constructive ways maybe this site isn’t for you wink

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to have Tanev back. I thought it was beyond dumb when the Canucks didnt resign him. But, theres a good chance he'd be a pure rental if they brought him back with having to sign Petey Hronek and now Lindholm above him. Trading Lekkeriamaki for a rental would be so shortsighted for my liking idk what i'd think. Maybe a desperate team will give up an arm and a leg for Tanev, but I dont think itll be VAN and if it was he likely would've been in the Lindholm trade
Feb. 2 at 5:27 p.m.
Big Shoots
Quoting: We_know_nothing
So the reported price for Tanev is a 1st rounder. That means that we'll be giving up Garland, Meyers, Lekkerimaki and a 4th for Coleman?

And no one has yet been willing to pay a 1st hahah
Feb. 3 at 10:54 a.m.
Go Canucks
Quoting: BigShoots
And no one has yet been willing to pay a 1st hahah

Ha!! That's even worse!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll