Forums/Armchair-GM

Zegras Trade

Created by: Lancebmx
Team: 2023-24 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 4, 2024
Published: Feb. 4, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just looking for opinions from the fan bases here.
Trades
ANA
  1. Jiricek, David
  2. Johnson, Kent
Additional Details:
Johnson and Jiricek were both rumoured to be disgruntled. I understand those are just rumours but maybe there is some slight truth there?
CBJ
  1. Zegras, Trevor
  2. Zellweger, Olen
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
I added a pick since Zellweger hasn't proven much at the NHL level but he looks good so far.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$63,257,083$0$10,075,000$20,242,917
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,456,250$1,456,250
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 7
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
C
RFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW
UFA - 3
$425,000$425,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$687,500$687,500
RD
UFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
G
RFA - 2
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
RD
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
RD
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,295,000$1,295,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$550,000$550K)
LD
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 4 at 12:27 p.m.
Think Anaheim wins this one, but mostly because I think zegras is overrated
Joblow liked this.
Feb. 4 at 12:28 p.m.
There's plenty to be said about CBJ not moving Jiricek to begin with, but that's no fun to just say that right?

(However, if you do care, Jiricek is literally the ONLY road to a legit 1RD they have in the system currently and then really need him to work out, so I have a tough time seeing anything materializing unless he just straight up said he would refuse to play for them. Really doubt it gets to that though, since they should have a new FO and HC this summer that won't BS him out of minutes trying to showcase horrible players for trades.)

Anyway on the trade, Columbus is very well set at LD for the future, so if they were to entertain a Jiricek/Zegras swap kind of trade, I can't see it including the other 2 players here. Just doesn't fit a need for Columbus to add Zellweger, good as he's looked, so can't see them moving off KJ now that they seem to be past the rocky bit with him.

Personal thoughts though, aside from the Jiricek trade likelihood stuff - With how good Sillinger has looked as of late, I'm not too sure center will be a need for Colombus anymore, at least not as much. Fantilli/Sillinger/Jenner down the middle while also having a few guys in the system is looking fairly realistic as a quality lineup down the line now.
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Feb. 4 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: Trevor31lv
There's plenty to be said about CBJ not moving Jiricek to begin with, but that's no fun to just say that right?

(However, if you do care, Jiricek is literally the ONLY road to a legit 1RD they have in the system currently and then really need him to work out, so I have a tough time seeing anything materializing unless he just straight up said he would refuse to play for them. Really doubt it gets to that though, since they should have a new FO and HC this summer that won't BS him out of minutes trying to showcase horrible players for trades.)

^__ This 100%, his kerfuffle is with playing time and FO mismanagement. Easy remedy on both fronts.

Anyway on the trade, Columbus is very well set at LD for the future, so if they were to entertain a Jiricek/Zegras swap kind of trade, I can't see it including the other 2 players here. Just doesn't fit a need for Columbus to add Zellweger, good as he's looked, so can't see them moving off KJ now that they seem to be past the rocky bit with him.

KJ and Zegras are pretty similar in terms of play style, so for this specific trade, it makes sense for them to be swapped. However, it's too early to tell on both players right now, and with KJ looking good and Zegras already signed, it doesn't make sense right now to swap them for either team. I could see it next year if KJ is mismanaged again and not consistently in the top-6, and ANA coaching gets fed up with Zegras for some bizarre reason.

Zellweger, yes, doesn't make sense to add since he'd be fighting with Mateychuk for 2LD, and the loser would be wasted on the 3rd pair.

Personal thoughts though, aside from the Jiricek trade likelihood stuff - With how good Sillinger has looked as of late, I'm not too sure center will be a need for Columbus anymore, at least not as much. Fantilli/Sillinger/Jenner down the middle while also having a few guys in the system is looking fairly realistic as a quality lineup down the line now.

Voronkov, too. I'm a huge fan of Fantilli/Sillinger/Voronkov being the top 3 centers going forward, then we just rotate in a veteran 4C (like Kuraly) for however long we need to. That's assuming Boone gets traded or moved to the wing, a la Tavares. We're also likely to have a top-5 pick, so we may pick up another center option there, in which case Sillinger would be shaping up to be an insanely good defensive-minded 3C.
Trevor31lv liked this.
Feb. 4 at 12:49 p.m.
Quoting: CaseyFlyman
Voronkov, too. I'm a huge fan of Fantilli/Sillinger/Voronkov being the top 3 centers going forward, then we just rotate in a veteran 4C (like Kuraly) for however long we need to. That's assuming Boone gets traded or moved to the wing, a la Tavares. We're also likely to have a top-5 pick, so we may pick up another center option there, in which case Sillinger would be shaping up to be an insanely good defensive-minded 3C.

Yeah, I was also going to mention that Voronkov could slot in at C as well, KJ MAYBE moves there eventually, tough it's looking less and less likely, and Brindley is the main guy in the system that could maybe be a factor too. Got distracted and just hit send though 😅😅 Same sentiment between us both though. While it's not a sure thing obviously, I'm a lot more confident they have the answers in the room than I was 6 months ago.
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Feb. 4 at 12:57 p.m.
Yeah, I was also going to mention that Voronkov could slot in at C as well, KJ MAYBE moves there eventually, tough it's looking less and less likely, and Brindley is the main guy in the system that could maybe be a factor too. Got distracted and just hit send though 😅😅 Same sentiment between us both though. While it's not a sure thing obviously, I'm a lot more confident they have the answers in the room than I was 6 months ago.

Yeah, the progress of KJ, Sillinger, and Chinakhov especially give me hope for the future. I think it's more addition by subtraction that we need (Peeke, Provorov, Tarasov, Jarmo/JD), trim the fat; form an identity; add another top-5 pick; get a new FO; let the kids grow and see where that takes us.
Trevor31lv liked this.
Feb. 4 at 1:07 p.m.
Yeah, the progress of KJ, Sillinger, and Chinakhov especially give me hope for the future. I think it's more addition by subtraction that we need (Peeke, Provorov, Tarasov, Jarmo/JD), trim the fat; form an identity; add another top-5 pick; get a new FO; let the kids grow and see where that takes us.

Definitely. I think it's pretty unfortunate the moves they made for Severson and Provorov (plus all the injuries last year), specifically because it gave the fanbase more hope than it really should've had for this year. Which has made a lot of people spiteful that they're so bad again. Admittedly, I expected better than 5th worse at this point for sure (though you could put a lot on awful coaching), but I always knew it was gonna be at least 2 more seasons, probably 3 before the pieces could potentially come together for a legit good team. Just hope the new FO and HC are given the patience they'll deserve for everything to come together.

I do feel pretty bad for Tarasov though. First all the big injuries really killing him when he looked like he had real potential for a bit. And now the FO pushing him down our throats when he's been terrible, leading to a lot of hate for him. Feels really unfair for him unfortunately.
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Feb. 4 at 1:16 p.m.

Personal thoughts though, aside from the Jiricek trade likelihood stuff - With how good Sillinger has looked as of late, I'm not too sure center will be a need for Colombus anymore, at least not as much. Fantilli/Sillinger/Jenner down the middle while also having a few guys in the system is looking fairly realistic as a quality lineup down the line now.

^__ This 100%, his kerfuffle is with playing time and FO mismanagement. Easy remedy on both fronts.

KJ and Zegras are pretty similar in terms of play style, so for this specific trade, it makes sense for them to be swapped. However, it's too early to tell on both players right now, and with KJ looking good and Zegras already signed, it doesn't make sense right now to swap them for either team. I could see it next year if KJ is mismanaged again and not consistently in the top-6, and ANA coaching gets fed up with Zegras for some bizarre reason.

Zellweger, yes, doesn't make sense to add since he'd be fighting with Mateychuk for 2LD, and the loser would be wasted on the 3rd pair.

I agree I don't think Columbus should trade either player. It was more if they were somehow disgruntled, didn't like the teams direction or front office bs. This type of trade is the only realistic trade I see happening for Zegras. I wouldn't be say Columbus is deep at LHD which is why I included one. Neither Zellweger or matenchyuck are sure things, both likely make it but you know what I mean. They could easily draft Levshunov since they will likely be right up there.
Ideally just exploring different ideas since it's boring as a Detroit fan right now.
Trevor31lv and CaseyFlyman liked this.
Feb. 4 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
I agree I don't think Columbus should trade either player. It was more if they were somehow disgruntled, didn't like the teams direction or front office bs. This type of trade is the only realistic trade I see happening for Zegras. I wouldn't be say Columbus is deep at LHD which is why I included one. Neither Zellweger or matenchyuck are sure things, both likely make it but you know what I mean. They could easily draft Levshunov since they will likely be right up there.
Ideally just exploring different ideas since it's boring as a Detroit fan right now.

Yeah, get what you're saying 100%. I think realism wise, it'd really take a lot of deterioration from where we're currently at for either player to be move for those reasons, though it doesn't hurt to suggest it as a thought exercise or for fun or whatever (as opposed to what all the TOR/BUF ACGMs I've seen are doing with Jiricek 😂😂

I actually think Levshunov could be in play for them regardless in the draft, since outside of Jiricek, their RD room is basically Severson and a bunch of meh NHLers with flaws + Ceulemans. But he basically becomes a must have if they were to move Jiricek.
CaseyFlyman liked this.
Feb. 4 at 1:26 p.m.
Yeah, get what you're saying 100%. I think realism wise, it'd really take a lot of deterioration from where we're currently at for either player to be move for those reasons, though it doesn't hurt to suggest it as a thought exercise or for fun or whatever (as opposed to what all the TOR/BUF ACGMs I've seen are doing with Jiricek 😂😂

I actually think Levshunov could be in play for them regardless in the draft, since outside of Jiricek, their RD room is basically Severson and a bunch of meh NHLers with flaws + Ceulemans. But he basically becomes a must have if they were to move Jiricek.

Yeah I don't see it coming down to that, just a fun exercise like you said. I'm glad I got thoughtful and respectable responses.
CaseyFlyman and Trevor31lv liked this.
Feb. 4 at 1:40 p.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
Yeah I don't see it coming down to that, just a fun exercise like you said. I'm glad I got thoughtful and respectable responses.

It also helps that you put out a respectable trade and had a respectable discussion, too. It's definitely a fun exercise. Hopefully Columbus and Zegras/Anaheim have more luck with injuries next season.
Feb. 4 at 1:48 p.m.
I think a top-6 with Zegras, Fantilli, Johnson, Brindley, two of the vets…then the Russians as the 3rd line…would make a fairly potent offense.

Maybe swap a RD for Zellweger…maybe even two.

A Zegras, Helleson, Warren for Jiricek, Dumais sort of deal. I think Ducks need more finishing anyway…so would probably be looking at Marchenko or Dumais over Johnson.

CBJ could then swap Peeke or Boqvist in a year if one of kids is ready.
Feb. 4 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Think Anaheim wins this one, but mostly because I think zegras is overrated

I like Zegras but people think he is the next great one. There a reason why he was voted the most overrated player by is peers. There so many flaws in is game. People will be very disappointed if he is traded. Anaheim won’t received a high end prospect like Jiricek in return.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll