Forums/Armchair-GM

Signing Hanifin in Free Agency

Created by: Celtics21
Team: 2024-25 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 5, 2024
Published: Feb. 5, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
All the talk of trading for him. IMO, this is the more likely scenario. Signing him outright and then deciding on what to do with Ullmark. Could see Swayman for a little more. Curious fo see what Hanifin and DeBrusk end up at. May go a little cheaper for the 4th line vet.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$825,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$6,250,000
1$850,000
3$1,000,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$6,000,000
7$6,750,000
1$2,000,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$87,064,167$50,000$542,500$435,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$11,250,000$11,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW
RFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$910,000$910,000
C
RFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
UFA - 8
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,250,000$6,250,000
G
RFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
C, LW
RFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
G
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 5 at 5:32 p.m.
Hanifan is leaving 14 million dollars on the table from what the Flames offered him. If you want him at that cap hit i think you need the 8th year.
Feb. 5 at 5:39 p.m.
Quoting: Shaun80
Hanifan is leaving 14 million dollars on the table from what the Flames offered him. If you want him at that cap hit i think you need the 8th year.

Tax differences that counts for about ~$430k off the top of the Calgary offer. The 8th year can be acquired for a 3rd round . Just have no idea whom we are trading that too. Maybe it’s a tad more. Either way, not very difficult to get to a position to sign him at all where it is net neutral.

Live in your home town full time next to your family playing for a good team with the best record in hockey over the past 1.5 years playing for a players coach

Live in Calgary playing for a bad team.
palhal liked this.
Feb. 5 at 6:05 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Celtics21
Tax differences that counts for about ~$430k off the top of the Calgary offer. The 8th year can be acquired for a 3rd round . Just have no idea whom we are trading that too. Maybe it’s a tad more. Either way, not very difficult to get to a position to sign him at all where it is net neutral.

Live in your home town full time next to your family playing for a good team with the best record in hockey over the past 1.5 years playing for a players coach

Just to add. We don't really know what Calgary has offered. Certainly no contributor knows. If Hanifan signs for another year after this contract for 7m, as opposed to the supposedly 8 year contract, then the difference is "just" 7m.

There are millions of people in North America who turn down more money in jobs for various reasons, so they can work where they want to live, or kids school educations, wife's job, aging parents close by...lots of reasons.
So hockey players or no one is obligated to take most money.
Since Hanifan should never outlive his money....even the "little" offer by Bruins.....I suppose Hannifan's choice whatever it is.
Feb. 5 at 7:33 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

Its been reported plenty of times that calgary offered him 7.5mx8. We are all just assuming he wants to play in Boston though. O'Reilly wasn't interested in resigning in Toronto. Lots of players don't want to play for their home town. All we know is he said he would like to go back to the states.
Feb. 5 at 7:37 p.m.

The tax difference between Calgary and Boston at 7.5m a year is 200k less in Boston. Alberta is the cheap tax province. We're also assuming he wants to play in Boston. Many players don't want the added pressure of playing in front of friends and family.
Feb. 5 at 7:40 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Its been reported plenty of times that calgary offered him 7.5mx8. We are all just assuming he wants to play in Boston though. O'Reilly wasn't interested in resigning in Toronto. Lots of players don't want to play for their home town. All we know is he said he would like to go back to the states.

"It's been reported". Do you someone think in Flames management leaks that to the press? Do you Hanifan's camp leaks it to the press." Sorry, it's just a nonsense made up by reporters. Now it might be true Flames did offer a contract something like that, but highly doubtful any reporter got the information from any reliable source .

Trading a Zaradov and Lindholm, Flames are likely in sell mode of all their UFAs. Flames haven't been playoff team with this group, no reason to keep them together.
Feb. 5 at 7:41 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I think 8 years x 7 million and you send a 3rd for the 8th year to whoever controls his rights is the most likely scenario
Feb. 5 at 7:46 p.m.

"It's been reported". Do you someone think in Flames management leaks that to the press? Do you Hanifan's camp leaks it to the press." Sorry, it's just a nonsense made up by reporters. Now it might be true Flames did offer a contract something like that, but highly doubtful any reporter got the information from any reliable source .

Trading a Zaradov and Lindholm, Flames are likely in sell mode of all their UFAs. Flames haven't been playoff team with this group, no reason to keep them together.

I don't doubt that they're going to trade Hanifan. Where ever he ends up getting traded is going to have the advantage to offer him that 8th year in contract negotiations. Boston fans just seem pretty convinced they're getting him for nothing.
Feb. 5 at 7:48 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
I think 8 years x 7 million and you send a 3rd for the 8th year to whoever controls his rights is the most likely scenario

It doesn't work that way, they get his rights but can't offer that 8th year.
Feb. 5 at 7:52 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
It doesn't work that way, they get his rights but can't offer that 8th year.

Severson sign and trade scenario.
Shaun80 liked this.
Feb. 5 at 8:08 p.m.
The tax difference between Calgary and Boston at 7.5m a year is 200k less in Boston. Alberta is the cheap tax province. We're also assuming he wants to play in Boston. Many players don't want the added pressure of playing in front of friends and family.

I assumed this was accurate

https://gavingroup.ca/nhl-tax-calculator/

Either way, it’s a pretty manageable situation
Feb. 5 at 8:10 p.m.
I assumed this was accurate

https://gavingroup.ca/nhl-tax-calculator/

Either way, it’s a pretty manageable situation

Could be, I used the capfriendly tax calculator. I assumed it's accurate too.
Feb. 5 at 8:14 p.m.
I don't doubt that they're going to trade Hanifan. Where ever he ends up getting traded is going to have the advantage to offer him that 8th year in contract negotiations. Boston fans just seem pretty convinced they're getting him for nothing.

Convinced is a strong word. I think it is more likely than not he goes to Boston as a free agent, but things change.

He could be traded to a market that makes him rethink it.

He could get nostalgic and do what most Americans don’t do … stay in Calgary.

There is risk in everything just like there is risk in paying a premium price especially in prospects where you have a picture past juniors on how they project
Feb. 5 at 8:23 p.m.
Convinced is a strong word. I think it is more likely than not he goes to Boston as a free agent, but things change.

He could be traded to a market that makes him rethink it.

He could get nostalgic and do what most Americans don’t do … stay in Calgary.

There is risk in everything just like there is risk in paying a premium price especially in prospects where you have a picture past juniors on how they project

Lol, you've gotta come visit Calgary, beautiful city, mountains just an hour away. Come down for the stampede you'll have a great time. I'm pretty sure the Flames are going g to trade him, but all I'm saying is if Boston really wants him they might want to be the team he's traded too.
Feb. 5 at 9:41 p.m.
Lol, you've gotta come visit Calgary, beautiful city, mountains just an hour away. Come down for the stampede you'll have a great time. I'm pretty sure the Flames are going g to trade him, but all I'm saying is if Boston really wants him they might want to be the team he's traded too.

Been there plenty of times. Even had employment possibilities there and decided to not leave the US.
Shaun80 liked this.
Feb. 5 at 10:15 p.m.
We're also assuming he wants to play in Boston. Many players don't want the added pressure of playing in front of friends and family.

I have found Renaud Lavoie to be pretty accurate and not a click bait guy and he says GM’s around the league believe he is headed to Boston. It was pretty clear that Sweeney coveted him at one point and his agent works for the same group as Pastrnak which is usually a good mix when trying to gauge interest.

Things change, but if he makes it to free agency, I anticipate Boston will be the favorite.
Feb. 5 at 10:40 p.m.
I have found Renaud Lavoie to be pretty accurate and not a click bait guy and he says GM’s around the league believe he is headed to Boston. It was pretty clear that Sweeney coveted him at one point and his agent works for the same group as Pastrnak which is usually a good mix when trying to gauge interest.

Things change, but if he makes it to free agency, I anticipate Boston will be the favorite.

Eric Francis says Hanifan would like to go join Tkachuk in Florida. But he's an idiot so who knows.
Feb. 6 at 2:28 a.m.
This is as close to ideal as this offszn could get IMO, re-sign JD, sign Hanifin, extend Sway, very solid

Could go for a cheaper 4th line vet like u said, JVR would want a raise to return, and keeping Ullmark is questionable, Im not completely against it, but if he could fetch a good return to help the forwards I wouldnt hesitate
Feb. 6 at 4:20 a.m.
Quoting: princessTom
This is as close to ideal as this offszn could get IMO, re-sign JD, sign Hanifin, extend Sway, very solid

Could go for a cheaper 4th line vet like u said, JVR would want a raise to return, and keeping Ullmark is questionable, Im not completely against it, but if he could fetch a good return to help the forwards I wouldnt hesitate

I actually believe Ullmark’s salary slot will earmarked for Frederic’s extension in 2025/2026.

They could trade him for a pick, but my guess is they do a slightly better version of roster building with short term contracts in his slot if they do it. I don’t view trading him as a given
Feb. 6 at 9:14 a.m.
I actually believe Ullmark’s salary slot will earmarked for Frederic’s extension in 2025/2026.

They could trade him for a pick, but my guess is they do a slightly better version of roster building with short term contracts in his slot if they do it. I don’t view trading him as a given

The longer they wait, the harder it will be to trade him and the lower the return will be, there'll come a point where its not worth it to trade him, figured the optimal time to do so would've been this past offszn after he won Vezina
Feb. 6 at 9:22 a.m.
Quoting: princessTom
The longer they wait, the harder it will be to trade him and the lower the return will be, there'll come a point where its not worth it to trade him, figured the optimal time to do so would've been this past offszn after he won Vezina

Yes and No. i feel right now would probably maximize the return they get , but part of me wonders if they’d get more at the deadline next year vs the off-season. Though I do believe trading for him as soon as he is extension eligible may open up some teams we think would be on his NMC.

Teams were apparently trying to use our cap situation against us in a deal though it is rumored that Ottawa tried to get into last years draft with DeBrincat and use that pick to acquire him. Not sure how much credence that had.
Feb. 6 at 9:46 a.m.
Wouldn't this be 30% plus of the salary cap spent on the Bruins top 4 defense? Many of those locked in for a long time. I'm actually a little skeptical that Sweeney wants to forfeit so much flexibility. The Bruins commonly find good, cheap defensemen that work in the Bruins system. Seems easier to exploit that in todays NHL than find reliable middle six scoring, the real bugaboo of this team for the last 10 years...
Feb. 6 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: Shmael47
Wouldn't this be 30% plus of the salary cap spent on the Bruins top 4 defense? Many of those locked in for a long time. I'm actually a little skeptical that Sweeney wants to forfeit so much flexibility. The Bruins commonly find good, cheap defensemen that work in the Bruins system. Seems easier to exploit that in todays NHL than find reliable middle six scoring, the real bugaboo of this team for the last 10 years...

Defense seems to be the teams calling card. I’d rather have a Noah Hanifan than Matt Grz AND Derek Forbort. Go with younger options at the LD and RD on the third line
Feb. 6 at 12:32 p.m.
Defense seems to be the teams calling card. I’d rather have a Noah Hanifan than Matt Grz AND Derek Forbort. Go with younger options at the LD and RD on the third line

I agree with next year for sure but are you ok with it in 3-5 years when Lindholm and Hanifin are low to mid 30's and not worth their contracts?
Feb. 6 at 12:37 p.m.
Quoting: Shmael47
I agree with next year for sure but are you ok with it in 3-5 years when Lindholm and Hanifin are low to mid 30's and not worth their contracts?

If you are going to use FA as a tool to sign a very good player, you’ll have to deal with the years in the 30s. Would prefer it be that the player is closer to 25 than 30 when you sign them to reduce the number of post 33 and greater years.

We’ll have a similar question with Frederic next year. Do you pay him to keep him off the market or let him go, try to fill with a less player with less term or an older player where you are dealing with injury risk.

The roster is a balance. I’m OK with Montgomery, putting the money into a player like Hanifin. He fits the same timeline as Pasta and McAvoy as opposed to a Lindholm who probably regresses in their age 30:31 years

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll