Trades with WPG and Vegas and FLA

Created by: Ess
Team: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 12, 2017
Published: Jul. 12, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
WPG ...
Dano and Pouliot are in the same boat. Dano is talented and might have a chance to fill in for Sheary, along with Sprong. Pouliot provides a LD for WPG who might be losing Enstrom next year, though they are stacked at RD. Lowry is C/LW with size and uses it to hit and play some net front, making him a potential replacement if PIT can't resign Hornqvist. He seems like a perfect fit for the 3rd center as he wins FO, blocks shots, has a hell of reach and is very defensively aware, on top of putting up 25pts or more. Sheary is capable of playing either wing and playing up to talent like Crosby. He's a friggin winner and it's tough to see him go.

VGK...
McNabb has Domoulin size but actually uses it to play physical. He's a UFA at seasons end but we should be able to resign him in addition to our RFAs. If we can't resign Cole he's the replacement. If we can, then we got 2 physical Dman to punish players in the Playoffs for a few years.

FLA ...
It's hard to tell how teams see their depth Dman. FLA has more R-Handers then L, and Maatta having won 2 cups @ 23yr old seems like the more value so I ask for Sceviour and offer Simon to even it out. Sceviour plays C/R, is great on the PK, has the speed and enough skill to play up in case of injury or center, but is a UFA at seasons end, so I threw in the 5th but it can come off if needed or if the Pens don't resign Sceviour.

So Pens pick up a 3C/LW ... add a physical Dman, making Maatta expendable ... swap a left for a right Dman ... Add another potential 3 or 4C or RW with 2 way ability ... add a very talented Dano who hasn't broken through yet ... and have $4.8m for future moves.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,250,000
3$3,500,000
2$800,000
Trades
VGK
  1. Kühnhackl, Tom
  2. 2018 4th round pick (WPG)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$67,995,000$50,000$182,500$7,005,000

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$850,000$850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$640,000$640,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$625,000$625,000
LW
UFA - 1
$612,500$612,500
C, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 6
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,733,333$2,733,333
RD
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 12, 2017 at 7:52 p.m.
Edited Jul. 12, 2017 at 7:58 p.m.
Because people don't read the Team Explanations ...

WPG ...
Dano and Pouliot are in the same boat. Dano is talented and might have a chance to fill in for Sheary. Pouliot provides a LD for WPG who might be losing Enstrom next year, though they are stacked at RD. Lowry is C/LW with size and uses it to hit and play some net front, making him a potential replacement if PIT can't resign Hornqvist. He seems like a perfect fit for the 3rd center as he wins FO, blocks shots, has a hell of reach and is very defensively aware, on top of putting up 25pts or more. Sheary is capable of playing either wing and playing up to talent like Crosby. He's a friggin winner and it's tough to see him go.

VGK...
McNabb has Domoulin size but actually uses it to play physical. He's a UFA at seasons end but we should be able to resign him in addition to our RFAs. If we can't resign Cole he's the replacement. If we can, then we got 2 physical Dman to punish players in the Playoffs for a few years.

FLA ...
It's hard to tell how teams see their depth Dman. FLA has more R-Handers then L, and Maatta having won 2 cups @ 23yr old seems like the more value so I ask for Sceviour and offer Simon to even it out. Sceviour plays C/R, is great on the PK, has the speed and enough skill to play up in case of injury or center, but is a UFA at seasons end, so I threw in the 5th but it can come off if needed or if the Pens don't resign Sceviour.

So Pens pick up a 3C/LW ... add a physical Dman, making Maatta expendable ... swap a left for a right Dman ... Add another potential 3 or 4C or RW with 2 way ability ... add a very talented Dano who hasn't broken through yet ... and have $4.8m for future moves.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 9:14 p.m.
claysbar
Swapping out Simon for Corrado might make the deal go a bit easier for FLA. After their current starting 6, the minor league/prospect pool on D (all 7 of them) have 6 combined NHL games among all of them, a few spending multiple years in the AHL with no real movement up the ladder.
Jul. 13, 2017 at 12:24 a.m.
Quoting: claysbar
Swapping out Simon for Corrado might make the deal go a bit easier for FLA. After their current starting 6, the minor league/prospect pool on D (all 7 of them) have 6 combined NHL games among all of them, a few spending multiple years in the AHL with no real movement up the ladder.

That's who I was going to send originally but wasn't sure their needs. Read something about them having issues with winger depth, so I put Simon in there.

Thanks for that info.
Jul. 13, 2017 at 3:17 a.m.
Looks like WPG fans are in the hibernation mode. Better placed more keywords or create their team to make them awake.

How about 3-way trade if it comes to WPG and VGK? Say Hagelin to VGK, Eakin to WPG, Lowry to PIT as the base to speak about? VGK got experience and more expandable asset, WPG got local guy, depth at C and flexibility. PIT can afford both Sheary and another C. Could perhaps Pouliot, Corrado, Dano, maybe even Trouba, Kuhnhackl, picks and prospects to make it look more interesting.
Jul. 13, 2017 at 3:17 a.m.
Looks like WPG fans are in the hibernation mode. Better placed more keywords or create their team to make them awake.

How about 3-way trade if it comes to WPG and VGK? Say Hagelin to VGK, Eakin to WPG, Lowry to PIT as the base to speak about? VGK got experience and more expandable asset, WPG got local guy, depth at C and flexibility. PIT can afford both Sheary and another C. Could perhaps Pouliot, Corrado, Dano, maybe even Trouba, Kuhnhackl, picks and prospects to make it look more interesting.
Jul. 13, 2017 at 11:50 a.m.
1. Florida is shopping Demers. They want to keep pysyk. Either way your kinda shopping similar style players for each other.
2. Mcnabb would be a good get but if you look at the defense you are paying a 7th def over 2mil to hardly ever play. Ruwhedel is perfect as a 7th def and is cheap. Need to move out another D if you are intent on that trade.
3. Reaves is playing a regular role in the bottom 6. he isn't just a thug he can play and they gave up more than they should have to get him. so getting Sceviour is kinda double dipping especially if it put reaves on the bench.
4. I like the Winnipeg trade.
5. With all the extra cap space i'm surprised there wasn't a move made for another center. Rowney can play center but is better served on a wing.
Jul. 13, 2017 at 6:10 p.m.
Edited Jul. 13, 2017 at 7:05 p.m.
Quoting: Toddyd77
1. Florida is shopping Demers. They want to keep pysyk. Either way your kinda shopping similar style players for each other.
2. Mcnabb would be a good get but if you look at the defense you are paying a 7th def over 2mil to hardly ever play. Ruwhedel is perfect as a 7th def and is cheap. Need to move out another D if you are intent on that trade.
3. Reaves is playing a regular role in the bottom 6. he isn't just a thug he can play and they gave up more than they should have to get him. so getting Sceviour is kinda double dipping especially if it put reaves on the bench.
5. With all the extra cap space i'm surprised there wasn't a move made for another center. Rowney can play center but is better served on a wing.

1. I don't want Demer. He makes MORE than Maatta and is 29, and Pysyk (25) makes less ... so I have spare cap space that I can use later. Also I don't want to have to add additional value to the deal to get Sceviour.
2. I'm paying a 7h Dman that can play either side @ $2m and realize that McNabb hasn't been exactly an NHL regular, Letang is often injured and other players can and will get injured. I'm in no cap trouble so why not carry Hunwick, rather then trading for a Hainsy later?
3. Screw Reaves. He's a checker and a fighter with very little offensive upside or potential to grow. I just added 3 guys who hit and will scrap if needed, PK for sure, possible PP, and score more points then him and on more reasonable contracts. He's not a 2 way player so his value to me is nothing. Double dipping? I'm confused. Is my roster to DEEP?
4. Thanks.
5. I addressed that in my Explanation and comments. My entire 4th line has played center in the NHL. They might be more suited ... but all are capable. Then there's Aston-Reese, and a few others in the system, in addition to the fact that I have $4m in caps space and a ton of assets to move. Also there is a very small chance that Cullen returns.

So why OVER fill a position now when I might need the assets you want me to move for a 4th player on my NHL roster who can play 4C, knocking someone else off my roster into the double dipping bowl?

I can replace any position or need right now because I have depth on the roster (complaints 1,2,3, and 5) and potentially in the minors to replace it. Then there's the $4m in cap space ... This roster is very strong and has the possibility to get stronger when we FIND the need.
Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:51 a.m.

We have nothing to do with FLA's shopping Demers I think. While he and Maatta might be equal as a player, Maatta is 6 years younger and is on better contract (less money, one year more). Trading is about solving multiple tasks. We get Cullen's replacement able to be 3C or 4C with a bonus of prime age, low caphit and ability to play a wing, and a young defenceman who suites our style better than Maatta. They get an established TOP4 D with experience but still young and who might benefit from change of scenery, and a C/LW TOP5 with us prospect who is about to crack into the team and replace Sceviour. Sounds very fair to me but adding Corrado could do to balance it up..

Our D need to be deeper and we need a defensive D to free Letang from some PK and blocks. I wouldn't mind Merrill though as he suits our style more and could replace Letang's primary responsibilities.

Reaves will see his 10 mins showing up on any line when there is a need I think. That was long time ago but I think it was a fair trade. We lost a prospect who was not about to be with a team anyway, lost 20 positions at draft but still picked a guy we wanted to draft.
Jul. 14, 2017 at 10:24 a.m.
I know you may not want Demers(neither do I) but that is who they are shopping. I wasn't saying we should get him just that you are not getting pysyk and if you did it would actually be a wash or a slight downgrade.The benefit is he is cheaper than Maatta. As much as I'd like to see Maatta involved in a trade it would have to be a big trade. Not a 4th line winger and bottom 6 dman. Ian Cole would be a better in the trade instead of Maatta.

So you have hunwick as a 7th dman when he is reliable, a good skater, and can play both sides. Sounds like he should be starting regularly especially since he was signed to replace Daley. I'm just a fan of your extra players being low salary. Hence why Ruwhedel was resigned. Mcnabb would add a more physical presence but i'm not sure the Pens care about that as they have always traded guys with a more physical edge in favor of puckmoving ability like they did when they moved Bortuzzo, Despres ect.

As far as everyone on the 4th line having played center at some point, if you have a bunch of part time ppl then you don't have a true center. Wilson has seen extremely limited time at center only 3 faceoffs. Sceviour only took 30 faceoffs total last year. Rowney took 198. But the average 4th line center take about 500 or more and are counted on to win in the defensive zone and PK which none are apt at doing. Having a wing that can fill in at center in case of injury is great but shouldn't be counted on full time.
Jul. 14, 2017 at 1:41 p.m.
Edited Jul. 14, 2017 at 1:53 p.m.
I know you may not want Demers(neither do I) but that is who they are shopping. I wasn't saying we should get him just that you are not getting pysyk and if you did it would actually be a wash or a slight downgrade.The benefit is he is cheaper than Maatta. As much as I'd like to see Maatta involved in a trade it would have to be a big trade. Not a 4th line winger and bottom 6 dman. Ian Cole would be a better in the trade instead of Maatta.

So you have hunwick as a 7th dman when he is reliable, a good skater, and can play both sides. Sounds like he should be starting regularly especially since he was signed to replace Daley. I'm just a fan of your extra players being low salary. Hence why Ruwhedel was resigned. Mcnabb would add a more physical presence but i'm not sure the Pens care about that as they have always traded guys with a more physical edge in favor of puckmoving ability like they did when they moved Bortuzzo, Despres ect.

As far as everyone on the 4th line having played center at some point, if you have a bunch of part time ppl then you don't have a true center. Wilson has seen extremely limited time at center only 3 faceoffs. Sceviour only took 30 faceoffs total last year. Rowney took 198. But the average 4th line center take about 500 or more and are counted on to win in the defensive zone and PK which none are apt at doing. Having a wing that can fill in at center in case of injury is great but shouldn't be counted on full time.

Every non-franchise player is achievable. If they like what I offer they'll make the trade. If not I'd make other moves, but I think I offer a decent package and could sweeten it a little by swamping picks, etc. I think the trade is inciting enough for FLA to take and shop Demurs somewhere else or keep him, but that's up to them. The main thing both teams get is the opposite handed Dman to fill out their rosters, but FLA also gets a 2x Cup winner ... All D men are bottom 6 btw ... But yeah, their both depth Dmen on their respective teams so why would you expect much more for Maatta then what I'm getting? Cole is a no go for me. He's more valuble and cheaper then Maatta this year. We have a chance at resigning him and a better chance at winning the Cup with Cole, than with Maatta.

I have no reason NOT to keep Hunwick or every other Dman. Hunwick WILL play 70 games or more just filling in for Letang on back-to-back nights, swamping out McNabb if he needs work, and filling in for injuries. PIT dressed 14 different Dman last year, which includes Hainsy ($2m+) and Striet (how many games did he play in the playoffs?) who the picked up at the deadline. I still have Ruwhedel if he's needed, but I don't need to trade for Hainsy/Striet because I have 7 NHL quality Dman ... and I have Ruwhedel in the AHL who is also NHL capable.

You're point seems to be extra skater for low salary ... which makes sense if you have cap issues. I have $4m in cap and don't lack depth. So I move Hunwick or don't pick up McNabb. I have $1.7m MORE in cap space which puts me close to $6m ... Do you get what I'm saying? I'd agree with you if I thought my D was weak ... but you're not saying that, or are you?

PIT addressed needs at the time, just as they felt they did when trading for Reaves. They need experience defensemen, so they traded physical young players as our defense was pretty weak at the time. They also got Cole ... which is our most physical Dman. McNabb tracks players well for hits, so he can ride people to the outside for bad angle shots (like Martin was known for). He steps up on the line for hits making it harder for players to penetrate (and my forwards are all decent at filling in for out of place Dman), and he has some offensive upside, which includes passing and carrying the the puck. His skating is the only real question mark ... which is why I have 7 defensemen. I think McNabb can be very effective in the playoffs, playing like Cole or Ekholm, knocking bodies around our net, and drawing penalties ... which I personally find more valuable then carrying Ruwhedel and Reaves, which if they had a baby would kinda like a McNabb. This is what I would do, more then me predicting what the Pens would.

Rowny won 48% of 198 FO ... in 27 gms ... on a team w/ Cullen and Bonino He also was our 4C for the last 4gm of the cup finals, played 20 total games in the playoffs, and didn't look out of place as he took 49 face offs and won 51% , and 66% on SH. His line pushed and he PKed ... as will Wilson, Sceviour, Hagelin, Rust, and Lowry (that's 6 really solid PKers and 4 who have played Center/taken faceoffs in the NHL). So Rowney has done what you're asking for and on the biggest stage, the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Finals. He will likely improve with more reps, or at least maintain and his salary is league min, so why go get another 4C? The other guys can back him up, including AHL guys ... and again, what if Cullen wants to play? Then I'd only have $3m in cap space to address other needs, and at least $650k more if I move a roster player in trade.

Again, this doesn't have to be the PLAYOFF roster, though I think it can be. It's a season opening roster. Play 40 gms and if it looks like some thing on this squad doesn't work out address holes found by playing rather than the theoretical ones looking at a roster.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll