Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs Deadline 23-24 II

Created by: Hockey_Hippy
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 14, 2024
Published: Feb. 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Reeves is waiver claim proof due to his contract (which is why they signed him to it) and in this scenario Giordano gives the rest of the NHL the Thornton ultimatum of "Claim me and I retire." Neither leaves Scotia Bank Arena.
Trades
TOR
  1. Larsson, Adam
Additional Details:
The Kraken get another middle six forward in a microwave for their 'People's Liberation Army of Seattle' attack, a good RHD prospect about 1.5 years away and a 3rd. Brodie is in there to balance the salaries but they have the option of re-signing him cheap at the end of the year and turning him into a lower rotation mentor for whoever they have coming up.
SEA
  1. Brodie, TJ
  2. Steeves, Alex
  3. Villeneuve, William
  4. 2025 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
The Leafs get a 20+ minute rock solid defender who can keep up with the pace of play and not embarrass himself with the puck to pair with Rielly. It costs them the next forward on their assembly line of mid-range guys and a decent blueline prospect, but it solidifies their top four.
TOR
  1. Tarasenko, Vladimir
Additional Details:
Tarasenko has a complete full NTC which gives him complete control of his destination. Couple that with the fact that he is on a one year deal and it makes him a depreciating asset each day he is a Senator. Ottawa gains a pair of forward prospects that are going to need development time whose ceilings top out in the middle six somewhere plus Kampf who is Jacques Martin's wet dream.
OTT
  1. Kämpf, David
  2. Ovchinnikov, Dmitry
  3. Voit, Ty
Additional Details:
Toronto gambles that playing on a team with Matthews, Marner, and Nylander is going to get Tarasenko to waive his NTC. The Leafs get a free look at a winger with a scoring portfolio and a Cup Ring trying to re-establish after injuries. If he works out, they can re-sign him, if not they let him walk.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$80,606,450$0$0$2,893,550
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 14 at 10:11 a.m.
ott declines
Feb. 14 at 10:18 a.m.
Sens would rather just keep Tarasenko or trade him for peanuts that are at least positive value overall than have to take Kampf on
Feb. 14 at 10:20 a.m.
That Larsson trade is soooo bad for Seattle. Yikes. Not even close.
Feb. 14 at 10:32 a.m.
Damn near all of Seattle's roster is "middle six guys", so giving up their top defenseman for some more of the same would be ridiculous, and that draft pick doesn't move the needle anywhere near enough to make Seattle think about this. This trade is absolutely lopsided in Toronto's favor
KrakBirds23 liked this.
Feb. 14 at 10:55 a.m.
KFTW
No to Kampf
Feb. 14 at 2:38 p.m.
Koi
Not trying to be disrespectful or mean or anything of the sort but truly the Kraken would decline that so fast. Steeves and Villeneuve are not good prospects and a 3rd is nothing. Brodie is purely a camp dumb to make it work and provides no value. Larsson has one more year after this still under contract so they have no need deal him now, especially for such a weak package. Larsson is better than other D-men who have grabbed a first at a deadline ( Chiarot, Savard etc.) so he will command at the least that, considering the extra year as well. Also almost the entire Kraken roster is depth so even if you think Steeves is good they still don't even need him.
Feb. 14 at 5:31 p.m.
Rest is a weapon
someones still mad about the Rielly situation...
Feb. 17 at 12:25 p.m.
Quoting: CouldBeKoi
Not trying to be disrespectful or mean or anything of the sort but truly the Kraken would decline that so fast. Steeves and Villeneuve are not good prospects and a 3rd is nothing. Brodie is purely a camp dumb to make it work and provides no value. Larsson has one more year after this still under contract so they have no need deal him now, especially for such a weak package. Larsson is better than other D-men who have grabbed a first at a deadline ( Chiarot, Savard etc.) so he will command at the least that, considering the extra year as well. Also almost the entire Kraken roster is depth so even if you think Steeves is good they still don't even need him.

Not trying to be disrespectful, but you haven't watched them play and I have. I watch on average 8 to 10 games a week of Leaf prospects. I know what they have down there far more than some dude who talks to someone who has talked to someone and tells a story like it is their idea. It just turned noon here. Since last night I've watched Moldenhauer, Malinowski, Grebyonkin, and Chadwick. I've still got a pair of Marlie games ready to go, another Malinowski, a Minten/Lisowsky/Chadwick, a Moldenhauer and the Leafs tonight.

Villeneuve is a year and a half away and I stated that but he's got talent and just needs runway.

As I understand it, Seattle depends on an attack that is so spread out you basically run out of defenders. They are losing three of those forwards from it in a matter of months (Eberle, Wennburg, Tatar). That's why they'd want Steeves. That guy is ready now. You put him with people who can play, he will produce. You put him on your fourth line he will give you an honest night's work, hit and defend. He is on Toronto in October if he is not traded.

And everyone under the sun acknowledges that both Savard and Chairot were overpays. Be that as it may, a 1st from Toronto is likely mid 20's. That's a 3 year development curve on a player you are not even sure pans out. Steeves is already there.

After three years draft pedigree looks good on a hockey card and that is it. Either the dude can play or he can't. It is folly to grade prospects on that basis, yet all of your 'experts', those 'experts' who do not actually watch games beyond a couple tournaments a year, consistently do so.
Feb. 21 at 7:01 p.m.
Koi
Quoting: Hockey_Hippy
Not trying to be disrespectful, but you haven't watched them play and I have. I watch on average 8 to 10 games a week of Leaf prospects. I know what they have down there far more than some dude who talks to someone who has talked to someone and tells a story like it is their idea. It just turned noon here. Since last night I've watched Moldenhauer, Malinowski, Grebyonkin, and Chadwick. I've still got a pair of Marlie games ready to go, another Malinowski, a Minten/Lisowsky/Chadwick, a Moldenhauer and the Leafs tonight.

Villeneuve is a year and a half away and I stated that but he's got talent and just needs runway.

As I understand it, Seattle depends on an attack that is so spread out you basically run out of defenders. They are losing three of those forwards from it in a matter of months (Eberle, Wennburg, Tatar). That's why they'd want Steeves. That guy is ready now. You put him with people who can play, he will produce. You put him on your fourth line he will give you an honest night's work, hit and defend. He is on Toronto in October if he is not traded.

And everyone under the sun acknowledges that both Savard and Chairot were overpays. Be that as it may, a 1st from Toronto is likely mid 20's. That's a 3 year development curve on a player you are not even sure pans out. Steeves is already there.

After three years draft pedigree looks good on a hockey card and that is it. Either the dude can play or he can't. It is folly to grade prospects on that basis, yet all of your 'experts', those 'experts' who do not actually watch games beyond a couple tournaments a year, consistently do so.

Again I’m not trying to start a fight, but you have to understand the other team’s’ perspective/situation. I am totally willing to admit that you have more knowledge of leafs prospects than me. However much like you know more about the leafs than me, I know more about the Kraken than you.

One of the key strengths of the Kraken’s short lifespan has been their ability to accumulate young players whether it be from the draft or free agency. In every single draft since their inaugural season the kraken have selected multiple players that are performing better than you would expect a player from their draft position to perform. The kraken have also signed multiple players aging out of junior who have had immediate impact at the AHL and even NHL level. Because of this the Kraken would desire quality/potential over quantity/guarantee if they were to be selling.

Yes Eberle, Wennberg and Tatar will be likely either traded or lost to free agency, but the kraken already have enough depth to fill those holes. Lind has performed fairly similarly to Steeves at the AHL level, McCormick, Poturalski, Hayden and Shore are already veterans who can step up at any time. While Wright and Winterton are recent draftees who are looking ready to jump up to the NHL level. Wright and Winterton are likely the two who would get the ice time as they are apart of Seattle’s future plans and the ice time would be beneficial for their development. Steeves is already 24 and likely doesn’t have a ton of development left to go as he’s entering his prime years, and he’s currently in the AHL. If he has no room to play now, and not much room to develop for the future he basically has no value in a Kraken trade.

Much like with Steeves, the Kraken don’t need Villeneuve either. For starters they already have Ottavainen who is the same age, and has produced almost identically in the AHL. Evans was on the AHL all rookie team last year, and the all star team this year. Price, Jugnauth and Dragicevic have all looked promising in the WHL, while Nelson has looked good in the OHL. This again leaves no room for Villeneuve in the future. Additionally the kraken have proven that have no difficulty signing veteran defenceman to fill wholes if necessary Ex. Schultz/Dumoulin. So if they wanted to get an NHL ready defenceman they could. This again renders Villeneuve valueless in a trade with the kraken.

And yeah Savard and Chiarot are widely viewed as overpays, but that is because you have to overpay at the deadline to get pieces because there is always a bidding war. Larsson can play 20 minutes a night of responsible, physical hockey, and on top of that he has another year left after this season at a very reasonable cap-hit for his service. Even more on top of all of that is that Seattle values him more than other teams because he was is loved in Seattle and was an inaugural member. So in summary, if you want to trade for Larsson at the deadline it’s gonna cost you a lot.

Finally on the Steeves vs 1st round pick thing, like every GM in the league that is selling would way rather have the 1st because it’s not about NHL readiness in a rebuild, it’s about potential. While Steve’s could almost certainly play NHL minutes now, he is like a 3rd/4th liner and doesn’t have room to grow past that. All selling teams can find guys to play right now whether it’s from waivers, minors or even taking on players contracts. The first round pick, thought it’s late it has the potential to be a very good NHLer. If you look at the past drafts every single one has had good prospects/ players selected in the 20+ slots. You even mentioned Minten earlier who was literally a second round pick. Also you mentioned 3 Year development periods like that’s a bad thing for rebuilding teams. If a team is building for the future letting players grow in junior/minors is very helpful for development of the player and also allows the team to be worse and get even better picks. Lastly if the kraken wanted to get players who can play now they would just trade for Guentzel or someone else like some people have suggested.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll