Forums/Armchair-GM

Laughton Comrie TDL

Created by: ryTown
Team: 2023-24 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 1, 2024
Published: Feb. 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
-Comrie is a G I could see having slightly more success in front of a more structured team
-I think the price for Laughton, who is currently PHI's 4C, is pretty close? I think he could be a pseudo-2C (40ish point guy across 82) on this Avs roster
Trades
COL
SJS
  1. Johansen, Ryan
  2. 2026 2nd round pick (COL)
PHI
  1. Hanzel, Jeremy [Reserve List]
  2. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
BUF
  1. 2024 5th round pick (SEA)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$81,996,250$637,500$0$1,503,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$896,250$896,250
RW
RFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$987,500$987,500
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 14 at 11:24 p.m.
Oof! I wouldn't pay that for Laughton. I also don't think RyJo costs a 2nd to move but it's possible. More likely a 3rd.
HockeyManiac95 and M96N29 liked this.
Feb. 14 at 11:25 p.m.
Quoting: TJTwolf
Oof! I wouldn't pay that for Laughton. I also don't think RyJo costs a 2nd to move but it's possible. More likely a 3rd.

I'd pay that for Laughton. Its fair value for a center who you'd get 3 playoff runs out of.

Josh Bailey was 5Mx1 and cost a 2026 2nd, thats my comparable for RyJo
Feb. 14 at 11:29 p.m.
Put cogs at center over olofsson
Feb. 14 at 11:31 p.m.
Quoting: ryTown
I'd pay that for Laughton. Its fair value for a center who you'd get 3 playoff runs out of.

Josh Bailey was 5Mx1 and cost a 2026 2nd, thats my comparable for RyJo

I could just as easily use Monahan as a comparable 1st for 6+ so Ryjo 3rd for 4 which also makes more sense if Bailey was a 2nd for 5. All of them are pretty comparable production-wise at the time of the trades were RyJo to be moved. Laughton simply isn't a 2C. He's had exactly one 40 point season which looks to be an aberration rather than a progression. The Flyers might get a 1st for him but the Avs shouldn't do it and definitely shouldn't be adding more on top imo.
HockeyManiac95 and M96N29 liked this.
Feb. 14 at 11:32 p.m.
Dr.
i don't think it's really a 2C solution. I think this would be better suited for next year. Personally i'd like to see colton move to 2nd wing and then laughton could slot 3C. still leaves us with a hole at 2C for next year but that would all depend on what landy decides to do for cap.
TJTwolf and M96N29 liked this.
Feb. 14 at 11:44 p.m.
I could just as easily use Monahan as a comparable 1st for 6+ so Ryjo 3rd for 4 which also makes more sense if Bailey was a 2nd for 5. All of them are pretty comparable production-wise at the time of the trades were RyJo to be moved. Laughton simply isn't a 2C. He's had exactly one 40 point season which looks to be an aberration rather than a progression. The Flyers might get a 1st for him but the Avs shouldn't do it and definitely shouldn't be adding more on top imo.

No, you couldnt. Monahan was a guy coming off major surgery at 6+. Bit of a different story there.

Laughton has only broke 40 once, but has been on pace for it more times and has consistently been on pace for mid-to-high 30s when he hasn't paced 40. You're cherry picking your numbers here a bit. With the wingers he'd have here, (Lehkonen-Laughton-Nichushkin, for example), he'd be a 40 point C at 3M.
Feb. 14 at 11:46 p.m.
Quoting: ArakinSkywalker
i don't think it's really a 2C solution. I think this would be better suited for next year. Personally i'd like to see colton move to 2nd wing and then laughton could slot 3C. still leaves us with a hole at 2C for next year but that would all depend on what landy decides to do for cap.

He's definitely a lower-end 2C option, yeah. Not a slam dunk by any means, more appropriately suited as a 3C yeah. If your 2C and 3C though can both be 40 point guys, thats solid production down the middle. Personally I'd leave Colton at C
Feb. 14 at 11:50 p.m.
U might even be able to get Comrie cheaper than that
We aren’t really using him much at all
HockeyManiac95 and TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 14 at 11:59 p.m.
No, you couldnt. Monahan was a guy coming off major surgery at 6+. Bit of a different story there.

Laughton has only broke 40 once, but has been on pace for it more times and has consistently been on pace for mid-to-high 30s when he hasn't paced 40. You're cherry picking your numbers here a bit. With the wingers he'd have here, (Lehkonen-Laughton-Nichushkin, for example), he'd be a 40 point C at 3M.

Yes you could. RyJo isn't long past achilles surgery at 4. So not sure what your point is there? Monahan 6 mil and had an injury, produced 23 points prior at a rate of 0.35 Pts per game. Bailey 5 mil and no injury, produced 25 points at a rate of 0.39 pts per game. Johansen produced 19 pts (to date) at a rate of 0.35 pts per game. Pretty damn similar. Not cherry picking numbers at all. To be fair I could argue it's more you doing that. The simple fact is Laughton has only one season where he's put up 40 points and also has only ever had one other season where he's been on pace for it. I mean if you want to argue he's been on pace at least once besides then sure, but why hasn't he achieved it? I could argue he appears to be injury prone.
Feb. 15 at 12:04 a.m.
The Sabres accept. Comrie is on an expiring term. He is not expected to be part of the Luukkonen/Levi tandem. Another draft pick helps the Sabres go after quality players via trade.
Feb. 15 at 12:40 a.m.
It will cost a second and the sharks accept
Feb. 15 at 12:46 a.m.
Edited Feb. 15 at 1:03 a.m.
Yes you could. RyJo isn't long past achilles surgery at 4. So not sure what your point is there? Monahan 6 mil and had an injury, produced 23 points prior at a rate of 0.35 Pts per game. Bailey 5 mil and no injury, produced 25 points at a rate of 0.39 pts per game. Johansen produced 19 pts (to date) at a rate of 0.35 pts per game. Pretty damn similar. Not cherry picking numbers at all. To be fair I could argue it's more you doing that. The simple fact is Laughton has only one season where he's put up 40 points and also has only ever had one other season where he's been on pace for it. I mean if you want to argue he's been on pace at least once besides then sure, but why hasn't he achieved it? I could argue he appears to be injury prone.

Monahan had a laundry list of serious injuries the years prior, including double hip surgery when he was traded from CGY to MTL. https://thewincolumn.ca/2022/04/03/breaking-down-sean-monahans-injury-history-and-what-happens-next/
Its not the same thing as RyJo's situation, but all you do is camp on this site and argue with people so I'm not surprised.

lol no, you're 100% cherry picking numbers. To continuously say "Laughton has only one season where he's had 40 points" is true in a vacuum, but ignores seasons such as his 27 points in 49 games. Its a sell-job from you. Sure though, you could argue injury prone yes.

PHI also reportedly turned down a few 1st round pick offers last year at the draft, but his value has likely dropped slightly since then, which is why I think the 1st + small add is probably sufficient to win the bidding war.
Feb. 15 at 1:18 a.m.
Monahan had a laundry list of serious injuries the years prior, including double hip surgery when he was traded from CGY to MTL. https://thewincolumn.ca/2022/04/03/breaking-down-sean-monahans-injury-history-and-what-happens-next/
Its not the same thing as RyJo's situation, but all you do is camp on this site and argue with people so I'm not surprised.

lol no, you're 100% cherry picking numbers. To continuously say "Laughton has only one season where he's had 40 points" is true in a vacuum, but ignores seasons such as his 27 points in 49 games. Its a sell-job from you. Sure though, you could argue injury prone yes.

PHI also reportedly turned down a few 1st round pick offers last year at the draft, but his value has likely dropped slightly since then, which is why I think the 1st + small add is probably sufficient to win the bidding war.

No, I don't actually camp on this site but I do enjoy it. As for arguing, well.....if you want to consider it that then consider it that. I consider if putting forth an opinion and if you don't like people doing that then posting is probably not for you. As you obviously can't back up your arguments in any way other than to repeat that I'm cherry picking numbers when I've given you cold, hard facts it's no surprise you'd feel that way. There is no 'in a vacuum', it is a simple fact. He has only ever had one season with 40 points. He has only ever had one season besides that where he has been on pace for 40 points. Those are simply facts and that 27 in 49 games season is the one I mentioned. On pace for 45 points. His others are 20, 32, 31, 37 and 35 this year if I round them all up on pace. So he's realistically somewhere around a 35 pt forward on average. NOT a 2C. He's a reasonable 3C, slightly better than JTC who every Avs fan will agree was never a 2C. There is no sell job involved. Quite the opposite, it is you that is trying to sell people on him as a 2C. His value most certainly has dropped and regardless of what was or wasn't reported last year he still isn's a 2C and isn't worth a first let alone the Avs adding.
Feb. 15 at 1:20 a.m.
Quoting: DragonKnight
The Sabres accept. Comrie is on an expiring term. He is not expected to be part of the Luukkonen/Levi tandem. Another draft pick helps the Sabres go after quality players via trade.

I agree that the Sabres do this trade
But i wouldn’t count on the return helping us get any “quality” players- it’s likely just to be a late round pick or even just “future considerations”
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 15 at 1:29 a.m.

1- I’d like to see those reports of turned down 1st offers
Links please

2- what bidding war?
Lol. There isn’t gonna be a bidding war for a (relatively) expensive 4th line Center

3- this is LITERALLY the perfect place for ppl to express their opinions. If YOU can’t handle it, maybe this isn’t the place for you, especially if you can’t handle others having different opinions than your own- he’s doing NOTHING WRONG
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 15 at 1:37 a.m.
As you obviously can't back up your arguments in any way other than to repeat that I'm cherry picking numbers when I've given you cold, hard facts it's no surprise you'd feel that way. There is no 'in a vacuum', it is a simple fact. He has only ever had one season with 40 points.

Thats like saying, pre 2022-23, that MacKinnon was not a 100 point player. He had been on pace for it multiple times, but didn't hit the games played so didn't get there. Sure its a 'fact,' but its a sell-job.

And again, this whole time Ive referred to Laughton as a pseudo-2C, not a slam dunk by any means. He's clearly capable of 40 point seasons, as he's been mid-to-high 30s with a few 40s trickled him. Put him as a 2C next to Nichushkon Lehkonen, or potentially even a Rantanen, and he'd do fine - something that RyJo clearly has not done.

The reality is the Avs are a cap-strapped team, and unless they develop their own 2C (fingers crossed on Ritchie), they're not going to be able to have a true, legit 2C. Even someone like Gourde who is 5.166M next year would create a lot of challenges at that price, as much as I'd love him. Trading for someone with a little bit of term (Jenner is my first choice but CBJ fans continue to say the price is unrealistically high, Laughton is probably my 2nd choice) makes more sense in my opinion than continuing to pay a price year after year for a rental. Sure, we can Henrique this year, for what cost? And then we have the same problem next year, and have to likely pay that same price AGAIN for someone new.
Feb. 15 at 1:40 a.m.
Quoting: AntiAnalytics
Links please

It was widely spoken about across multiple podcasts, including 32 thoughts, around last draft and even in the last month. I dont have links to them, but if you don't believe me, thats totally fine.

3 - Agreed, perfect place. Just strictly noticed a pattern with that user in the past (since the last time that him and someone else got into a huge argument over Gulyayev/Byram on one of my mock rosters) being argumentative. Agreed though yes, perfect platform for doing so.
Feb. 15 at 1:43 a.m.
It was widely spoken about across multiple podcasts, including 32 thoughts, around last draft and even in the last month. I dont have links to them, but if you don't believe me, thats totally fine.

3 - Agreed, perfect place. Just strictly noticed a pattern with that user in the past (since the last time that him and someone else got into a huge argument over Gulyayev/Byram on one of my mock rosters) being argumentative. Agreed though yes, perfect platform for doing so.

Ppl are gonna argue dude
If he bothers u that much, just use the ignore button on him
Feb. 15 at 1:46 a.m.
Ppl are gonna argue dude
If he bothers u that much, just use the ignore button on him

No you’re totally right, don’t know why I even noted it really. Just a pattern I’ve noticed

Either way, who cares yeah. Tis the internet
AntiAnalytics liked this.
Feb. 15 at 1:47 a.m.
thewookie1
Buffalo says sure
Feb. 15 at 1:50 a.m.
Links please

2- what bidding war?
Lol. There isn’t gonna be a bidding war for a (relatively) expensive 4th line Center

3- this is LITERALLY the perfect place for ppl to express their opinions. If YOU can’t handle it, maybe this isn’t the place for you, especially if you can’t handle others having different opinions than your own- he’s doing NOTHING WRONG

The rumours came from Anthony DiMarco who writes about the Flyers for The Fourth period. Friedman has also speculated on it but even the article I found linking him doesn't mention him as saying the Flyers are wanting a first only that teams might be interested in him. So DiMarco is the only 'source'. Certainly I could speculate someone might give a first for Laughton. I've said it before with Monahan that someone might (and they did), the point I've made is whether the Avs should and for me it's a no. Just the same as I don't think anyone would have given the Avs a 1st for JTC, and probably rightly so. Mentioning JTC.....the article on allphly.com gives this description of Laughton......

"Laughton’s role on the Flyers has long been that of a Swiss Army Knife, a quality depth forward ideally stationed in the bottom-six at even strength but with the skill to play further up if necessary, while also serving as a penalty kill stalwart."

Remind you of anyone?

Also, appreciate the 3rd comment.
Feb. 15 at 2:06 a.m.
The rumours came from Anthony DiMarco who writes about the Flyers for The Fourth period. Friedman has also speculated on it but even the article I found linking him doesn't mention him as saying the Flyers are wanting a first only that teams might be interested in him. So DiMarco is the only 'source'. Certainly I could speculate someone might give a first for Laughton. I've said it before with Monahan that someone might (and they did), the point I've made is whether the Avs should and for me it's a no. Just the same as I don't think anyone would have given the Avs a 1st for JTC, and probably rightly so. Mentioning JTC.....the article on allphly.com gives this description of Laughton......

"Laughton’s role on the Flyers has long been that of a Swiss Army Knife, a quality depth forward ideally stationed in the bottom-six at even strength but with the skill to play further up if necessary, while also serving as a penalty kill stalwart."

Remind you of anyone?

Also, appreciate the 3rd comment.

I didn’t back read your guys debate to even see what’s guys were arguing- probably shouldn’t even have jumped in the middle
TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 15 at 2:29 a.m.
Edited Feb. 15 at 4:21 a.m.
Thats like saying, pre 2022-23, that MacKinnon was not a 100 point player. He had been on pace for it multiple times, but didn't hit the games played so didn't get there. Sure its a 'fact,' but its a sell-job.

And again, this whole time Ive referred to Laughton as a pseudo-2C, not a slam dunk by any means. He's clearly capable of 40 point seasons, as he's been mid-to-high 30s with a few 40s trickled him. Put him as a 2C next to Nichushkon Lehkonen, or potentially even a Rantanen, and he'd do fine - something that RyJo clearly has not done.

The reality is the Avs are a cap-strapped team, and unless they develop their own 2C (fingers crossed on Ritchie), they're not going to be able to have a true, legit 2C. Even someone like Gourde who is 5.166M next year would create a lot of challenges at that price, as much as I'd love him. Trading for someone with a little bit of term (Jenner is my first choice but CBJ fans continue to say the price is unrealistically high, Laughton is probably my 2nd choice) makes more sense in my opinion than continuing to pay a price year after year for a rental. Sure, we can Henrique this year, for what cost? And then we have the same problem next year, and have to likely pay that same price AGAIN for someone new.

Sorry but you're wriggling like a worm on the end of a hook. That's a straw man and you know it. To use MacK as a guy who had been on pace literally in your own words MULTIPLE times (4 years plus one where he was one point shy prior to actually exceeding 100) compared to a guy who you said (repeatedly) had been on pace for 40 points 'more times' (and note the plural) not on one singular occasion besides is simply bizarre to me. BUT as a cold hard fact yes MacKinnon was not a 100 point player until he hit 100 points. There is however a HUGE difference between a guy on pace on multiple occasions and a guy who has been on pace ONCE which is where we look behind the facts for other facts, the ones I've actually given you and you repeatedly choose to ignore, and if you were looking at MacKinnon you'd say this guy is one who can consistently produce at that rate.

Again, Laughton may, as you say, be capable of putting up 40 points between Val and Lehky (btw RyJo hasn't really played that much with either, even at this point in the season his most common linemates by a significant margin are Drouin & Tatar according to Natural Stat Trick), he may not. That's always part of a gamble in a trade. I would say that the Avs actually haven't given RyJo the best chance to be successful because logically the best move would be to play him with the slowest two other forwards (which is tough to find on the Avs and tough to find data on) which is probably Drouin (who he did seem to have some chemistry with early on) and Lehky (now he's back from injury). Of course other injuries/the PAP etc hasn't helped there, but I digress.

Your final section in this comment is where you've made the most sense so far (apart from Laughton being your second choice but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it), you're spot on with the cap situation and with Ritchie, I'm hoping he comes to fruition sooner rather than later, Gourde and Jenner I agree with you on and Rico is arguably only a partial improvement on RyJo (as with Granlund, Laughton, Jenner et al). Mittelstadt will be too dear to re-sign (and to acquire). Nelson already is too expensive. My own personal choices would be Novak as he may be a guy the Avs can afford to re-sign (assuming the Avs can move RyJo, I can't see Novak costing more than 4 mil per, possibly less) though again may be costly to acquire, or else looking to Laughton's team mate - Frost.

None of this is to say Laughton is a 'bad' player and if you wanted him I can understand why to a degree, but if the Avs went after him it should be as a 3C and play Colton at 2C and roll the dice, and for me you simply don't pay a 1st and then some for that guy.
Feb. 15 at 2:30 a.m.
I didn’t back read your guys debate to even see what’s guys were arguing- probably shouldn’t even have jumped in the middle

All is good as is healthy debate! smile
AntiAnalytics liked this.
Feb. 15 at 7:18 a.m.
I agree that the Sabres do this trade
But i wouldn’t count on the return helping us get any “quality” players- it’s likely just to be a late round pick or even just “future considerations”

The Sabres will need to flip picks for "quality" players. Complete the first step, then plan and execute the second step.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll