Forums/Armchair-GM

The Offseason After The Jake Trade

Created by: edeangel84
Team: 2024-25 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 20, 2024
Published: Feb. 20, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think a new coach is a must. Sully is a heck of a coach but he has to find a new team that’s on the younger side of the league. He needs skaters up and down the lineup to win and the depth isn’t here not to mention the obvious age issues. The Caps went with a young coach to lead a mostly experienced team and I think it’s time we do the same. Here are a few rising candidates we should check out:

Jay Leach- Former WBS assistant who’s gone on to be a great assistant with Seattle. He has a good track record with Dman in particular, which is good if we’re bringing Pickering in sooner than later.

Jeremy Colliton- He was given an impossible task in Chicago to follow Quennville at 33 and with no coaching experience in the NHL. Now he’s been to Europe and an AHL head coach. He deserves another chance in the NHL.

Joel Ward- Vegas Assistant who also had good success with their AHL team. He’s proven through his career to be a battler and I’d love to see him on the bench with our veterans.

Mitch Love- Caps assistant but also former AHL coaching guru. He’s going to lead an NHL team soon and I’d love to luck him away from the Caps.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
1$800,000
3$1,500,000
3$1,500,000
2$1,350,000
2$1,000,000
2$825,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,250,000
2$2,000,000
1$855,000
1$5,500,000
1$1,500,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
2$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Boqvist, Jesper$1,350,000No Compensation
Petman, Ville$825,000No Compensation
Trades
PIT
  1. Dorofeyev, Pavel [RFA Rights]
  2. Howden, Brett
  3. Korczak, Kaedan [RFA Rights]
  4. 2024 1st round pick (VGK)
VGK
    Jake TDL extends with Vegas.
    PIT
    1. 2024 5th round pick (EDM)
    EDM
      Ruwehdel TDL
      PIT
      1. 2024 3rd round pick (FLA)
      FLA
      1. Eller, Lars
      Additional Details:
      TDL deal
      CHI
      1. Smith, Reilly
      2. 2025 4th round pick (PIT)
      Additional Details:
      Pre draft
      PIT
      1. 2024 1st round pick (NJD)
      2. 2025 2nd round pick (NJD)
      3. 2026 3rd round pick (NJD)
      NJD
      1. Pettersson, Marcus ($1,025,175 retained)
      Additional Details:
      Pre draft trade
      PIT
      1. Hildeby, Dennis
      2. Järnkrok, Calle
      3. Kämpf, David
      4. 2026 1st round pick (TOR)
      Additional Details:
      Top 10 protected
      TOR
      1. Jarry, Tristan
      2. 2025 3rd round pick (PIT)
      Additional Details:
      Cash in on Jarry coming off this very good season.
      PIT
      1. Johansen, Ryan
      2. 2025 3rd round pick (COL)
      Additional Details:
      Avs save 4 million
      COL
      1. 2026 4th round pick (PIT)
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the FLA
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the NYR
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the CHI
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$87,700,000$84,879,342$0$0$2,820,658
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $8,700,000$8,700,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      LW, RW
      RFA
      $6,100,000$6,100,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $5,125,000$5,125,000
      RW, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LW, C, RW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000
      RW, LW
      UFA
      Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
      $1,900,000$1,900,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $2,400,000$2,400,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      C, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $6,100,000$6,100,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      G
      UFA
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      LD
      UFA - 8
      $10,000,000$10,000,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      G
      UFA
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      LD/RD
      UFA
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      RD
      RFA
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      LD
      RFA
      $1,350,000$1,350,000
      C, LW
      RFA
      $925,000$925,000
      LW
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Feb. 20 at 10:33 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Devils have other priorities that a LHD. Leafs have no interest in a 5.3m goalie with term. Leafs are confident Woll, and a cheaper UFA will be the goalies next season. Hildeby could even see action in 24/25. Jarnkrok is a bargain at 2.1, Kampf is needed at centre next year, and so will be the first at some time hopefully.
      Feb. 20 at 11:11 p.m.
      I disagree with your take on Sullivan. He should stay. However, Reirden should’ve been fire months ago. The question becomes, Is Reirden still employed because of Sullivan or Dubas? Likely the former, which would be an indictment on Sully. With that said, I don’t think moving on from Sullivan is the answer. Nor do I think most of your moves here are the answer at all. Just my humble opinion.
      Feb. 20 at 11:25 p.m.
      "Go sell ice cream!"
      Quoting: JuanDamienNebraska
      I disagree with your take on Sullivan. He should stay. However, Reirden should’ve been fire months ago. The question becomes, Is Reirden still employed because of Sullivan or Dubas? Likely the former, which would be an indictment on Sully. With that said, I don’t think moving on from Sullivan is the answer. Nor do I think most of your moves here are the answer at all. Just my humble opinion.

Sullivan is the head coach. He is 100% responsible for delegating the PP duties. There is zero justification for Sullivan still having a job as the PP is so bad that is the ONLY reason they aren't in a WC spot.
      Feb. 20 at 11:46 p.m.
      Quoting: jfkst1
      Sullivan is the head coach. He is 100% responsible for delegating the PP duties. There is zero justification for Sullivan still having a job as the PP is so bad that is the ONLY reason they aren't in a WC spot.

I’m aware, hence the “Likely the former, which would be an indictment on Sully.” I’m by no means saying he isn’t ultimately to blame for the PP. He is the head coach above all and shoulders responsibility.

Who is to say that we’d even be close to a wild card spot under another HC’s leadership and system? This old roster isn’t exactly easy to devise a system for that works through their non-physical game and middle of the pack speed, while putting them in the position to compete against the high flying, puck carrying, young teams. Other than the PP, I think Sully has done a good job at doing that. The PP should 100% be fixed by now, but I think, out of frustration, people aren’t realizing that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Other than the PP, this team has performed well as a unit given the age and level of personnel on the roster. Even with Dubas’ cleaning up of Hextall’s malpractices, this roster still leaves a lot to be desired. I think Sullivan has more to do with this team being close than people give him credit for.

If Sullivan is let go in the off-season, then I wouldn’t be surprised. I wouldn’t necessarily be angry about it either. I personally just don’t think it’s the answer. A fresh and young guy, with a new aged mindset, should be brought in to run the PP. Should’ve been brought in months ago.
      Feb. 21 at 12:17 a.m.
      What even is this
      klassic liked this.
      Feb. 21 at 9:54 a.m.
      I really can't decide on if he should go or not personally. It's just a shame because even though I don't necessarily like their style of play, they're actually a pretty good 5v5 team - definitely playoff caliber. And I do think Sully is getting close to the best out of the team at 5v5.

But they are just absolutely costed by the PP. They'd be fighting for 2nd place with an average PP. I don't know how much Sullivan has his hands in the PP(pause), but even if he's not in charge(which he should be), not firing whoever is running it or demanding any changes definitely falls on him
      Feb. 21 at 5:05 p.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: JSEB93
      I really can't decide on if he should go or not personally. It's just a shame because even though I don't necessarily like their style of play, they're actually a pretty good 5v5 team - definitely playoff caliber. And I do think Sully is getting close to the best out of the team at 5v5.

But they are just absolutely costed by the PP. They'd be fighting for 2nd place with an average PP. I don't know how much Sullivan has his hands in the PP(pause), but even if he's not in charge(which he should be), not firing whoever is running it or demanding any changes definitely falls on him

Yes the PP has been horrendous, but look at how ridiculously overachieving the goaltending has been and that is a counter balance to the horrible PP stats. The real problem here is ironically the one move where I was getting blasted here, the EK trade upset the PP in particular and the balance of the team. Now that Letang is not the main point man, it has clearly caused issues. I’m not saying the PP has been great before because it’s been a problem before this year and EK was brought in to fix it. However, I think that move was a rather bad one and we lost a 1st rounder we could desperately use in the meantime.
      JSEB93 liked this.
      Feb. 21 at 5:06 p.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: Coleharborcrosby
      What even is this

Recreating the long failed bottom six and being realistic that the team is too old.
      Feb. 21 at 5:20 p.m.
      I Love J Boqvist
      Really depends on where our 1st is on the Pettersson trade
      Feb. 22 at 9:29 a.m.
      Quoting: edeangel84
      Yes the PP has been horrendous, but look at how ridiculously overachieving the goaltending has been and that is a counter balance to the horrible PP stats. The real problem here is ironically the one move where I was getting blasted here, the EK trade upset the PP in particular and the balance of the team. Now that Letang is not the main point man, it has clearly caused issues. I’m not saying the PP has been great before because it’s been a problem before this year and EK was brought in to fix it. However, I think that move was a rather bad one and we lost a 1st rounder we could desperately use in the meantime.

The goaltending has obviously been amazing - but you know me - we've had this conversation before haha. I think this is just how good Jarry is. Ned has definitely outplayed expectations though - at least for me. I'm not sure I would say the goaltending counteracts the terrible PP. Although it probably does counter balance their terrible finishing at 5v5 for the most part.

There's nothing stopping them from making Letang the point man though - so that it still falls on coaching. I didn't think EK for Letang would actually make the PP any better either - at least not the top unit - Letang has always been a great point man on the PP. I'm not sure I can blame the PP being THIS bad just on the Karlsson swap though. If you're talking about the EK trade overall, I will still have to disagree there though, it was a good trade. I can't see this team being any better with the players they gave up vs the players they got - and certainly not the PP. Which is their biggest issue. But I understand your complaint is giving up the 1st - still think it was a good trade overall. If the Pens just went out and signed EK as a FA for 10mil, then I would absolutely agree with you that it was a bad move
      Feb. 22 at 11:36 a.m.
      JimmyPaek
      Quoting: JSEB93
      The goaltending has obviously been amazing - but you know me - we've had this conversation before haha. I think this is just how good Jarry is. Ned has definitely outplayed expectations though - at least for me. I'm not sure I would say the goaltending counteracts the terrible PP. Although it probably does counter balance their terrible finishing at 5v5 for the most part.

There's nothing stopping them from making Letang the point man though - so that it still falls on coaching. I didn't think EK for Letang would actually make the PP any better either - at least not the top unit - Letang has always been a great point man on the PP. I'm not sure I can blame the PP being THIS bad just on the Karlsson swap though. If you're talking about the EK trade overall, I will still have to disagree there though, it was a good trade. I can't see this team being any better with the players they gave up vs the players they got - and certainly not the PP. Which is their biggest issue. But I understand your complaint is giving up the 1st - still think it was a good trade overall. If the Pens just went out and signed EK as a FA for 10mil, then I would absolutely agree with you that it was a bad move

I still think Granlund should have been bought out back in June. Then we could have found a place to offload Rutta, which is hardly the toughest dump to do. Petry could have stayed for this season and I think we’d be right where we are and still have that first.
      JSEB93 liked this.
      Feb. 22 at 12:04 p.m.
      Edited Feb. 22 at 12:23 p.m.
      Quoting: edeangel84
      I still think Granlund should have been bought out back in June. Then we could have found a place to offload Rutta, which is hardly the toughest dump to do. Petry could have stayed for this season and I think we’d be right where we are and still have that first.

I was onboard with the Granlund buyout too. I don't think Rutta would've been that easy to send somewhere though - probably adding a mid round pick. We might be in the same spot, probably would be worse. But nobody could've predicted the Pens PP being absolutely horrendous. A league average PP and they're right with CAR for 2nd in the Metro and we aren't even having this conversation haha.

I do think there were other avenues they could've taken in the offseason instead of the EK trade like you mentioned - Granlund buyout, Rutta dump, etc. I just don't think the EK trade was bad by any means - or is responsible for the position they're in. It's obvious this team with this roster could've still been solidly in the playoffs this year - I have no issues losing the first to try and compete this year instead of basically throwing in the towel on the core. But I know you think otherwise - and that they should've just started a rebuild. Which I understand - I just don't necessarily agree with. But to each their own. I think the bigger issue than the trade is how poor Smith/Graves have been for making 9mil

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll