SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Mar. 7 at 12:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 13 at 12:06 a.m.
Quoting: Random2152
3 and 5.

We're just throwing away picks man. **** this had better work Istg

Its not really throwing away picks lul

If we dont want to spend our 1st or the big prospects these are the guys to target

Boosh has looked good since reuniting with Rielly and then if we decide Benoit aint the guy for playoffs they now have a more experienced version whose bigger

People really got to stop overreacting to these like the Boosh trade lul

Edmundson has been to 2 SCF and was a key part in each team getting there in his own right
Mar. 7 at 12:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Benoit 6'3 203 pounds
Brodie 6'2 187 pounds
Rielly 6'1 225 pounds
McCabe 6'1 204 pounds
Liligren 6'1 192 pounds

New guys

Lybushkin 6'2 201 pounds
Edmondson 6'5 221 pounds

The football team is coming along nicely
LeafsForLife liked this.
Mar. 7 at 12:12 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
https://twitter.com/JeffMarek/status/1765712287799590985

NorthernLeafsFan05 is in shambles

😭😭😭

Wish him the best
Mar. 7 at 12:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 7 at 12:42 p.m.
So 2 new additions each making under a mill now and we still got cap to add and want a RD. Lets see but I like were adding size and muscle to the back end.

People can complain but its guys like Edmunson crosschecking guys in front of the net that get you far just ask FLA

Ref will call them once then ignore it the rest of the game

As for those who focus on analytics for playoffs dont. Throw them out as what we see in those games is full on brawl-mode on
Mar. 7 at 12:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Debating on if TOR should trade Jones this TDL in the same manner ARI traded Wedgewood where its a 4th that becomes a 3rd if PHI makes playoffs or something

I would then spend a 6th on Hellberg in Pitt as he cleared waivers and he can sit down there and so we can then focus on a 2 goalie system
Mar. 7 at 1:02 p.m.
Amirov Forever
BTW if its not already abundantly clear, Liljegren is definitely getting traded for a bigger name. Maybe a Buchnevich or a M. Pettersson. The focus on adding "playoff style RD" combined with Keefe's track record for not trusting Lili in the post season makes this seem super likely. Plus, he is due for a play raise this offseason that Im not sure we can afford. Id be alright with Lili for Buch retained or someone of similar value, but anything else seems iffy.
Random2152 liked this.
Mar. 7 at 1:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I have a bad feeling Libby's the only acquisition...

BRAAAAAAAAD!

It was one day lul

TDL aint till FRI and there was pleanty of time for moves

Cant always be part of the first wave and why u want them paying 1sts for rentals lul

We dont got a tonne of big assets to do big moves and unless something special pops up seems conservative moves be the way

Besides if they keep that 1st they can turn it into 10 picks at the draft via trade down
Mar. 7 at 1:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
STL and TOR are in talks rn but im taking the report with a pinch of salt

But he is followed by NHL analytics sites and other guys who report stuff here and there so hmmm
Mar. 7 at 1:22 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
It was one day lul

TDL aint till FRI and there was pleanty of time for moves

Cant always be part of the first wave and why u want them paying 1sts for rentals lul

We dont got a tonne of big assets to do big moves and unless something special pops up seems conservative moves be the way

Besides if they keep that 1st they can turn it into 10 picks at the draft via trade down

I was trying to jinx myself...
Mar. 7 at 1:22 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
STL and TOR are in talks rn but im taking the report with a pinch of salt

But he is followed by NHL analytics sites and other guys who report stuff here and there so hmmm

Over whom?
Mar. 7 at 1:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Over whom?

No names yet but it seems they exploring a few guys on that team

Gonna guess

Parayko
Buchnevich
Torpchenko

To name a few

But it makes sense to still be looking as they still have assets, cap (especially if Brodie is moved) and still be looking to add
Mar. 7 at 1:33 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
No names yet but it seems they exploring a few guys on that team

Gonna guess

Parayko
Buchnevich
Torpchenko

To name a few

But it makes sense to still be looking as they still have assets, cap (especially if Brodie is moved) and still be looking to add

Leafs have roughly 2 mill in cap space running 23 man roster (assuming Gio goes LTIR and Timmins gets waived)

So it's weird that Tre wanted retention on Eddy and Libby
Mar. 7 at 1:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Leafs have roughly 2 mill in cap space running 23 man roster (assuming Gio goes LTIR and Timmins gets waived)

So it's weird that Tre wanted retention on Eddy and Libby

Timmins went to LTIR

And if they move Brodie they free up another 5m. This all comes down to what they want
Mar. 7 at 1:37 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Timmins went to LTIR

And if they move Brodie they free up another 5m. This all comes down to what they want

That's what I meant...

But isn't it weird that Brad wanted retention????
Mar. 7 at 1:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
That's what I meant...

But isn't it weird that Brad wanted retention????

No as it allows TOR to still make more moves. If u can get ret go for it

If he wasnt using ret would be like alright really lul.

As if he didnt ret on Boosh and Edmunson Leafs would have no room to add anything. They still have cap to make moves
Mar. 7 at 1:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I think brodie is the X factor to if they do make a bigger trade

Trading him free's 5m or if your adding say a 6m guy then hes gonna have to go

And from looking at the Dcore he may very well end up gone

Rielly-Boosh
McCabe-?
Edmundson-Liligren

Like if they do decide to go get Chycrun or Parayko hes gonna have to go to make the cap work anyways
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Mar. 7 at 3:06 p.m.
Its not really throwing away picks lul

If we dont want to spend our 1st or the big prospects these are the guys to target

Boosh has looked good since reuniting with Rielly and then if we decide Benoit aint the guy for playoffs they now have a more experienced version whose bigger

People really got to stop overreacting to these like the Boosh trade lul

Boosh has looked horrible. Not sure what games you've been watching.

Every O-Zone play dies on his stick. He can't defend the blue line for his life. He is getting CRUSHED every time he makes a play, he's looked far worse than the AHL call-ups did.
Mar. 7 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
BTW if its not already abundantly clear, Liljegren is definitely getting traded for a bigger name. Maybe a Buchnevich or a M. Pettersson. The focus on adding "playoff style RD" combined with Keefe's track record for not trusting Lili in the post season makes this seem super likely. Plus, he is due for a play raise this offseason that Im not sure we can afford. Id be alright with Lili for Buch retained or someone of similar value, but anything else seems iffy.

I think someone will give a 1st for him, same as Sandin. Like just think what he will common this summer. Dobber's contract projections had Sandin at $3.4M and Lili at $3.3M. They are by almost all analytics model equal value players. Add in the Lili is a RHD and I struggle to see him getting less in a trade.

If we can flip Lili for a 1st and then do something like

1st, 1st, Robertson, Brodie for Buch and Parayko (with retention) that would be a good move. Analytically horrible but I think @aadoyle is right about needing to forget that a bit for the playoffs. A D core of:

Rielly - Parayko
Benoit - McCabe
Edm - Boosh

Would be ****ing hard to play against.
Mar. 7 at 3:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: fangm
Boosh has looked horrible. Not sure what games you've been watching.

Every O-Zone play dies on his stick. He can't defend the blue line for his life. He is getting CRUSHED every time he makes a play, he's looked far worse than the AHL call-ups did.

He hasnt looked bad at all lul

Here is how that pairing stacks relative to other defensive pairs (min 100 TOI) the Leafs have iced from 2021-22 to 2023-24:

- 53.2 xGF% (14th)
- 60.2 HDCF% (6th)
- 41.9 Off. Zone Start% (6th hardest usage)

In the 3 games they have played together

CF% = 62.9%
XGF 1.66
XGA = 0.66
HDCF = 7
HDCA = 2

Still early but a very promising sign. And dont be looking at him getting charged by Rempe lul. That was a play that should have got the kid thrown out or sent to the box for 5 and a game but nah leaf bias.

Rielly has been once again proving he does well with these guys and both have basically picked up where they left off as a pairing. Like watch the Buffalo game and read Kevin Papetti's article "he Sabres generated little to nothing during his five-on-five minutes through 40 minutes, and while he didn’t pick up a point on the play, he played a role in Toronto’s first goal"
Mar. 7 at 3:19 p.m.
He hasnt looked bad at all lul

Here is how that pairing stacks relative to other defensive pairs (min 100 TOI) the Leafs have iced from 2021-22 to 2023-24:

- 53.2 xGF% (14th)
- 60.2 HDCF% (6th)
- 41.9 Off. Zone Start% (6th hardest usage)

In the 3 games they have played together

CF% = 62.9%
XGF 1.66
XGA = 0.66
HDCF = 7
HDCA = 2

Still early but a very promising sign. And dont be looking at him getting charged by Rempe lul. That was a play that should have got the kid thrown out or sent to the box for 5 and a game but nah leaf bias.

Rielly has been once again proving he does well with these guys and both have basically picked up where they left off as a pairing

Fair just looked at the numbers and you are right, he's been crushing it. Didn't pass the eye test for me but the numbers prove me wrong. Likely just some bias from the few big hits he took and the glaring O-zone turnover last game.
Mar. 7 at 3:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Im starting to think its Brodie

As he feels out of place

Liligren's is a righty and I can see him and Edmunson as a nice little third pair. Its the second pair thats a ? to me

McCabe and ?

Like rn I see

Rielly-Boosh (They seem to have picked up where they left off and Boosh has looked good)
McCabe-? (I dont like breaking up Benoit-McCabe but Benoit aint top 4 come playoffs)
Edmunson-Liligren
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Mar. 7 at 3:26 p.m.
Amirov Forever
FWIW I really want the Leafs to add Anthony Duclair and think he would be absolutely lights out playing with Domi and Marner
Mar. 7 at 3:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
FWIW I really want the Leafs to add Anthony Duclair and think he would be absolutely lights out playing with Domi and Marner

I kind of want more of a 2-way guy who can help with the PK.

Someone who can be on the 2nd unit PK and who can take faceoffs and stuff so we dont have to rely on Willy there

Dowd, Lunderstrom, etc
Mar. 7 at 3:44 p.m.
I'm still in the camp that would rather keep our 1st, Minten/Cowan/Niemala.

At this point...is there really any players known to be available that the Leafs can

a) realistically obtain; and
b) will make any significant impact on this playoff run?

Sure...there's guys that can help and add depth...I just don't see anything that's going to move the needle a whole lot more.

I'll bet they make at least 1 more move here...but I won't be disappointed if nothing significant gets done by tomorrow afternoon.
Mar. 7 at 3:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
I'm still in the camp that would rather keep our 1st, Minten/Cowan/Niemala.

At this point...is there really any players known to be available that the Leafs can

a) realistically obtain; and
b) will make any significant impact on this playoff run?

Sure...there's guys that can help and add depth...I just don't see anything that's going to move the needle a whole lot more.

I'll bet they make at least 1 more move here...but I won't be disappointed if nothing significant gets done by tomorrow afternoon.

Agreed, I think there be one or two

But basically Leafs can still go either way depending on factors. They can keep their 2m in space and use that or increase it to 7m

One trade I have been eying is to maybe flip Jones and then bring someone whose cleared waivers to be the #3 but yea so far nothing crazy

VGK taught us big Dcores win and if we look in the playoffs analytics go out the window and the guys who thrive are bruisers and rats. Sure some skill is also good but look at FLA best line

Nick Cousins-Sam Bennett-Matthew Tkachuck 2 rats and a bruiser

Heck look at Edmunson in TOR vs. MTL this man got a 5k fine for crosschecking someone in the face. Rielly 5 games lul. But anyways this gets interesting

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll