Forums/Armchair-GM

My understanding of the Capitals situation

Created by: Logicalicesports
Team: 2023-24 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 28, 2024
Published: Feb. 28, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
From what I understand the Capitals are interested in moving these players for the right packages:

Dowd
Lindgren
TVR
Jensen
Mantha
Patches
Edmundson
Milano

All of the other roster players are not being actively shopped but some of them might be considered expendable with the right deal.

I would consider extending Mantha at this point. He is finding his game in Washington.
He signs a 4x5 deal to stay with the Capitals.

Off season:

Let NAK walk
Resign McMichael, Mantha, Sandin, Gibson, Frank and Malenstyn.
Sign Leonard and Chesley
Buyout Campbell
Trade Kuzy and Jensen
Give a shot to make the team to Leonard, Chesley, Miro, Persson, Iorio, and one of the Younger goaltenders in either Stevenson or Gibson.
Trades
WSH
  1. Campbell, Jack
  2. Copponi, Matt [Reserve List]
  3. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2025 7th round pick (EDM)
  5. 2026 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Edmundson, Joel ($875,000 retained)
WSH
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (VGK)
  2. 2024 7th round pick (CBJ)
VGK
  1. Pacioretty, Max ($1,000,000 retained)
COL
  1. Dowd, Nic
  2. Lindgren, Charlie
  3. Suzdalev, Alexander
  4. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Colorado will receive whichever 1st round selection is later in the draft. (If the capitals do not receive a first in a trade this year than it would be a top 15 protected 2025 first)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the COL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$72,352,500$20,000$315,000$11,147,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$232,500$232K)
C
RFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,850,000$3,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,675,000$2,675,000
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$2,062,500$2,062,500
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
C
UFA - 2
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 28 at 9:03 a.m.
Hard pass on the COL deal. Not spending essentially a 1st+1st++2nd+good prospect for a kid that can't stay healthy and analytics are bad. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Also, I love Mantha, but you have to trade him. If he wants to come back in the summer so be it, but you can maybe get a 1st for him at this point.
Feb. 28 at 9:04 a.m.
That Byram trade is horrific for the Avs
TJTwolf and M96N29 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 9:11 a.m.
Quoting: ClockReads2113
Hard pass on the COL deal. Not spending essentially a 1st+1st++2nd+good prospect for a kid that can't stay healthy and analytics are bad. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Also, I love Mantha, but you have to trade him. If he wants to come back in the summer so be it, but you can maybe get a 1st for him at this point.

Quoting: MeetYourMakar
That Byram trade is horrific for the Avs

I love how this goes both ways. Capitals fans dislike it and Avs fans dislike it. Must be a fair trade than lol
M96N29 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 9:18 a.m.
Quoting: Logicalicesports
I love how this goes both ways. Capitals fans dislike it and Avs fans dislike it. Must be a fair trade than lol

nah it’s def not tbh, avs aren’t giving up byram for dowd it would have to be a far better centre for them to consider moving him
MeetYourMakar, TJTwolf and M96N29 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 9:19 a.m.
Quoting: leaffanio
nah it’s def not tbh, avs aren’t giving up byram for dowd it would have to be a far better centre for them to consider moving him

They are not giving him up for Dowd, they are getting a solid goaltender, one of the best shutdown centers in dowd, a solid prospect and a 1st.
Feb. 28 at 9:22 a.m.
Quoting: Logicalicesports
They are not giving him up for Dowd, they are getting a solid goaltender, one of the best shutdown centers in dowd, a solid prospect and a 1st.

late first which doesn’t really help the avs in a weak draft class while they’re in win now mode, lindgren is playing well but they’re winning games with georgiev and probably only wanna upgrade on him if its for a bonafide stud like markstrom or saros, and dowd is a great bottom 6 centre but nowhere near worth byram. dowd probably gets back a 3rd at best

there’s just no reason for the avs to do this deal and any of their fans in here will likely agree
MeetYourMakar and TJTwolf liked this.
Feb. 28 at 9:25 a.m.
late first which doesn’t really help the avs in a weak draft class while they’re in win now mode, lindgren is playing well but they’re winning games with georgiev and probably only wanna upgrade on him if its for a bonafide stud like markstrom or saros, and dowd is a great bottom 6 centre but nowhere near worth byram. dowd probably gets back a 3rd at best

there’s just no reason for the avs to do this deal and any of their fans in here will likely agree

2 points: 1 the first round in this years draft class is actually very strong. Second, Dowd is expected to get a 2nd or a later 1st. So where are you getting your information
brady_t12 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 9:31 a.m.

It's always fans of the team that just last year gave washington a second for a year of lars eller that claim dowd is only getting a third ...
Logicalicesports, NoVaSpartan, ClockReads2113 and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 28 at 9:54 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Caps have to let Mantha go imo. I've defended the guy for a year and a half and he's a great player but his value likely won't be higher and if the Caps intend on giving a roster chance to Miro, Leonard, Sutter, Frank, Limoges, or Dube, then Mantha is likely the one out. I don't think they'll be willing to justify scratching Oshie which only really leaves Mantha's spot up for grabs, whether it's filled through a young guy or a free agent signing.

Also, small point on the last bit, while it'll be fun to watch in preseason, I expect Chesley, Iorio, and definitely Persson and Gibson are still at least another year away from making the team. To me, Leonard and Miro are the only two guys mentioned with a chance to steal a spot, since the Caps decided to forego Haman-Aktell's good camp for a mediocre one from Johansen, I expect the rest don't truly have much chance to make the roster out of camp.
qc14 and brady_t12 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 10:10 a.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Caps have to let Mantha go imo. I've defended the guy for a year and a half and he's a great player but his value likely won't be higher and if the Caps intend on giving a roster chance to Miro, Leonard, Sutter, Frank, Limoges, or Dube, then Mantha is likely the one out. I don't think they'll be willing to justify scratching Oshie which only really leaves Mantha's spot up for grabs, whether it's filled through a young guy or a free agent signing.

Also, small point on the last bit, while it'll be fun to watch in preseason, I expect Chesley, Iorio, and definitely Persson and Gibson are still at least another year away from making the team. To me, Leonard and Miro are the only two guys mentioned with a chance to steal a spot, since the Caps decided to forego Haman-Aktell's good camp for a mediocre one from Johansen, I expect the rest don't truly have much chance to make the roster out of camp.

I would add Stevenson to that list if they move either Lindgren or Kuemper -- he's putting up insane AHL numbers and is a big part of why Hershey is historically good this year
brady_t12 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 10:33 a.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
I personally don't think Holmberg is what the caps need - would rather try to swing a deal for Robertson if possible.

Byram also isn't what we need - we have so many LHD who need ice time. Let Fehervary, Sandin, and AA sort it out. Alexyev is far more solid than he gets credit for. Sandin has had an amazing second half of the season so far and has really found his game on both sides of the puck. Fehervary has always been pretty solid, but I'm convinced he was hurt even before his most recent injury vs. MTL. You can run those three guys on the left on a playoff team. Send out Dowd and Lindgren in their own deals and get more picks back or get a young player back.

The caps should be looking at a Sandin-like trade from last year, but at forward. This team needs a young goal scorer. Look at guys like Holtz, Robertson, etc. and imagine what they could do with the young upcoming core. Lapierre has looked great since his recent call-up - give him another player around his age, someone like Holtz, and let them develop that chemistry and next year they can do damage in the middle 6. Then add in Leonard, Miro, maybe Cristall the year after and they'll be young and dangerous. Then you add a guy in UFA to supplement that top 6 and you're looking at a team that can do damage if a young goalie like Stevenson pans out, or Kuemper might find his game again.
Feb. 28 at 10:51 a.m.
Quoting: brady_t12
I personally don't think Holmberg is what the caps need - would rather try to swing a deal for Robertson if possible.

Byram also isn't what we need - we have so many LHD who need ice time. Let Fehervary, Sandin, and AA sort it out. Alexyev is far more solid than he gets credit for. Sandin has had an amazing second half of the season so far and has really found his game on both sides of the puck. Fehervary has always been pretty solid, but I'm convinced he was hurt even before his most recent injury vs. MTL. You can run those three guys on the left on a playoff team. Send out Dowd and Lindgren in their own deals and get more picks back or get a young player back.

The caps should be looking at a Sandin-like trade from last year, but at forward. This team needs a young goal scorer. Look at guys like Holtz, Robertson, etc. and imagine what they could do with the young upcoming core. Lapierre has looked great since his recent call-up - give him another player around his age, someone like Holtz, and let them develop that chemistry and next year they can do damage in the middle 6. Then add in Leonard, Miro, maybe Cristall the year after and they'll be young and dangerous. Then you add a guy in UFA to supplement that top 6 and you're looking at a team that can do damage if a young goalie like Stevenson pans out, or Kuemper might find his game again.

I agree that it would be a Godsend to get someone like Holtz but there is no way the Capitals could get him or someone like him at the moment. Robertson is looking very average and I don't see that gamble paying off.

If we are able to somehow make that happen who is target that we could actually acquire because NJ needs goaltending and I doubt they would be looking at Lindgren as their answer when Markstrom and Saros are both options on the board.

I mean maybe we could target someone on Ottawa like a Batherson but he is slightly older so I cannot see it happening as you have laid it out.
brady_t12 liked this.
Feb. 28 at 12:44 p.m.
Quoting: qc14
It's always fans of the team that just last year gave washington a second for a year of lars eller that claim dowd is only getting a third ...

Think you should really look at who the guy supports before you chirp up. Most Avs fans on here accept Dowd likely costs a 2nd, especially cheap with a second year. A clue to who the guy is a fan of might be found in his user name if it helps......and regardless of his/her valuation of Dowd, they aren't wrong that the Avs turn that down flat.
leaffanio liked this.
Feb. 28 at 12:44 p.m.
Absolute no from the Avs.
leaffanio liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll