Forums/Armchair-GM

BLAME ARMSTRONG

Created by: A_K
Team: 2024-25 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 23, 2024
Published: Feb. 29, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is not gonna be my best rant but I'm so sick of this dude.

A potato with a checkbook could have put together this defense:

Dunn (7.35) - Pietrangelo (8.80)
Walman (3.40) - Parayko (6.50)
Edmundson (1.75) - Bortuzzo (0.95)

Instead we have a completely useless group of bozos for the same money.

Everyone and their mother knew Schenn isn't gonna age well. Army walked away from Backes and should've done the same with Schenner. Ope now he's our captain, and he's going no where for 4 more years despite already being a liability in the top 9 and on special teams. We could've signed ROR for less money and fewer years, but he had to go super early on Schenn's 8-yr extension when the future of the team was directionless. Did the same with Parayko, who was a broken player as the ink was drying on that 8 yr deal. And now that he's seemingly playing well enough that teams would be interested, he's gonna hang onto him and try to keep winning games with the bozo brigade that surrounds #55 on the blue line.

Dude starts the retool and smartly picks up some draft picks. Then proceeds to draft high floor, low ceiling guys that will probably top out as 3rd liners and 3rd pair guys (with the exception of Dvorsky, but he's still not a home run of a prospect like you can get with a 10oa). Used the late picks on a bunch of boring guys that will never be NHLers. Whoopee I can feel the excitement brewing! I will not slander Pekarcik but every other pick was a total yawn.

Then he takes flyers on some low-risk, high-reward guys and NONE of them pan out. Vrana looked great for a flash and now he's an AHL bum, Kapanen should be there too, Hayes has 1 goal and 3 pts in his last 26 GP. 2 more years on his deal which is an overpay somehow even though he got him at half price. I haven't even heard Sammy Blais name on the broadcast in months, is he even on the team?

Says a rebuild isn't fair to fans because they don't deserve 8-10 years of losing while simultaneously anchoring the roster with immovable contracts and declining players... I have a feeling the losing is gonna happen regardless, unless he can magically make bad players disappear and star players show up without getting top 5 draft picks.

I know some Blues fans are gonna critique this by saying we have high end prospects and it's not so bad. But once you get past Dvo and Snuggerud, all I see is hopefuls and depth guys. Theo Lindstein had a great WJC but he's still tracking to be a Gunnarsson 2.0. Stenberg demoted to 2nd tier Swedish league while his countrymates taken later than him are doing better in SHL, yay! Maybe he'll be a 3rd liner in 5 years. Quinton Burns won't even get an ELC, taken one pick before Hunter Brzusteweicz who will have more pts this season than Burns will finish his whole OHL career with. Gotta have sandpaper, it's so valuable and hard to find! As he trades Bortuzzo for a 7th round pick.

The ONLY things Doug has gotten right since July 2019... Thomas extension, Buch trade, 2023 deadline. 3 out of how many decisions? Not a great %. Can't wait to see buffoonery that comes next. He keeps saying he needs to leave the organization better than it was when he started. Good luck buddy. Genuinely thanks for the 2019 Stanley Cup but it's hard to comprehend that it was the same guy pulling the strings to make that team when you see what he's done since.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$900,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$75,698,095$0$412,500$12,001,905
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 7
$950,000$950,000
RW, C
RFA
$835,833$835,833
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$412,500$412K)
LW
RFA - 2
$3,571,429$3,571,429
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
$852,500$852,500
C
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
G
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 29 at 3:28 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I don’t take issue with much, but I aim differently.

GMDA and the Blues record of drafting and development stands on its own, so things like Burns and Stenberg are hard to criticize.

My issue is that Doug Armstrong went to the draft floor last year intending to retool the roster, and did not.

At the previous trade deadline he took all the center ice minutes, except Robert Thomas, and traded them away. The replacement? 1 center who needed another team to pay half his pay due to being meh.

So now stl leads in cumulative wjc u20 scoring. That’s a huge waste for our organization, we have no business having that much firepower in non nhl leagues. He should have done his job, used some of that to have a better active roster.

What was the point of Vrána? When it was clear he was not working, the replacement is?

During the season we’ve had countless games where scandella, or another lefty, is on the right so perunovich can get minutes. Fine. I guess. Except it’s not. It’s routinely punished by other teams. The jets got 2 goals dumping the puck to scandellas side and watching the blues screw it up. The next night, the blues play the oilers, use normal defense pairs, and surprise?! The team can break out of its zone normally and the game is competitive.

So he had that deadline, the draft floor, and whiffed. Now he has a trade deadline. If he whiffs again, fire him. Maybe he’s pissed off too many of his peers, or they don’t trust him, whatever.

I hope it’s embarrassing for him. He’s been a smug pos the last 2 years or so. Dude thinks he is waaaay fancier than he really is.

Better active roster for what purpose? To barely make the playoffs? Like they could trade a 1st and Otto Stenberg for Jake Guenztel but is that really making them all that much closer to a cup this year, even if they make the playoffs? And then what do you do in few years, without a good forward prospect, a seemingly top 15 pick, and with 33 year old Jake Guentzel?

If we're assuming they literally can't move anyone with a NTC, I think they've done a decent job with roster decisions since last year- didn't commit any more money to a team that isn't competitive, prioritizing player development (Perunovich, Neighbours) over what's actively going to give them the best roster to win every night. They need to start shedding their bigger money commitments but again, not exactly something they have had full control over (and that's what Armstrong's biggest failing is).

I agree that he needs to be more active in retooling the roster, but I'm not sure if you can get there without taking some steps back first.
AC14 liked this.
Feb. 29 at 3:57 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: AC14
I loved Vince Dunn, but he was essentially Torey Krug on an small deal at the time of the expansion draft.

Walman also could not stay in the lineup. He was inconsistent and not really all that impactful. For Walman and Dunn if you want to criticize a lack of knowing what they had, sure. But we weren't in a position to deal with mistakes of younger players as we were in a presumed window.

Just a couple points of order...

1 - Yeah, that's just not true. Dunn was nowhere near as calamitous as Krug has been the past two seasons, and he was a young guy still developing. It was an idiotic decision by Army, and it only gets worse when you remember the Avs got Toews for a couple 2nds a couple days later. HUGE dumpster fire and very easy to blame Army for.

2 - Did Walman even make a bunch of mistakes? Remember, this is the same coaching bunch that tried to forcefeed Tucker and Kessel on the 2nd pairing through all sorts of mistakes. Walman not getting enough chances is on the coaching staff, not Walman.
Feb. 29 at 4:20 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Some very hot takes taken here without looking at context of what was going on at the time. Alot of these moves were made out of the necessity of trying to stay in a cup window.

Faulk is the only move I can criticize because it didn't make any sense to bring him in given what we currently had. I'd imagine the market for top 4 defenseman was pretty dry at the time ad we wanted to add more boost. However neither Faulk nor Pietrangelo played great on the left side. It was frankly terrible to watch and a complete mess.

You're looking from the future on alot of these situations. I loved Vince Dunn, but he was essentially Torey Krug on an small deal at the time of the expansion draft. Yes he was a better skater, but he was a mess defensively and we were in a very competitive window at the time. I think everyone thought that Seattle would take Tarasenko in the expansion draft not Dunn.

Walman also could not stay in the lineup. He was inconsistent and not really all that impactful. For Walman and Dunn if you want to criticize a lack of knowing what they had, sure. But we weren't in a position to deal with mistakes of younger players as we were in a presumed window.

I'm not sure what exactly your criticism of the drafting is about. The Blues by many standards have had fantastic drafts for the recent memory. I'm also not sure why you're complaining about Stenberg who is very young for the class and has performed extremely well on the international stage. The Blues have drafted young players for the class who have perceived high floors. Are you going to hit a superstar with that, I dont know, but we have 2 very high end prospects in our pool, and we recently just had the most amount of prospects at the WJC (tied) and had some of the best production (definitely weighted by amount of forwards). That's discounting the impact that noted High Floor, Poor Skating Jake Neighbors is currently having. Bolduc is at the NHL level currently at 20 years old. Lindstein was a late 1st who in a redraft probably goes early/mid 1st round. I just don't see the complaint or worry in regards to the Blues drafting young for their class, high floor guys. There is very little volatility and a high chance these players are NHL players. The chances of 1st round draft picks especially at the positions we've been picking them to turn out the way ours have are extremely slim. There's only a couple of other teams I think draft to the level or better than the Blues, and that's Vegas and Carolina.

There's no benefit of hindsight on any of these tacky extensions. Simply don't sign them. Choose better players. The argument that we needed to keep the window open is fair, except the guys that were supposed to keep the window open are the ones slamming it shut.

Disgusting to say that Dunn was future Krug and we needed established Krug more. Even at the time there was no argument to spend 7 x 6.5m on Krug and expose Dunn. None. This organization just can't identify what makes a quality defenseman.

Walman sucked here because the Blues staff neutered him into oblivion. Play 10 min per night with Bortuzzo and don't make a single mistake or you'll go to the press box. Dude went to Detroit and all his quotes were "I'm just happy to play my game and be comfortable out there". They did the same thing with Dunn, he'd try 10 stretch passes and create tons of offense, but got scapegoated because one would lead to a turnover.

We'll see about the draft picks, it's early, but my point is that we don't need "NHLers", we need impact guys. Getting two extra 1st round picks and then using them on safe players. He ADMITTED PUBLICLY that he thought Lindstein was comparable to Gunnarsson, a 16 min per night no.5. Dman... and Stenberg going right before Musty, Ritchie, Cowan, Nadeau, Brindley, Cristall... we'll see in a few years if you'll still defend that one. I'd rather see us strike out on guys with upside that never make it than pat a guy's back for getting us the next Brandon Saad or Oskar Sundqvist.
Feb. 29 at 4:57 p.m.
Quoting: A_K
There's no benefit of hindsight on any of these tacky extensions. Simply don't sign them. Choose better players. The argument that we needed to keep the window open is fair, except the guys that were supposed to keep the window open are the ones slamming it shut.

Disgusting to say that Dunn was future Krug and we needed established Krug more. Even at the time there was no argument to spend 7 x 6.5m on Krug and expose Dunn. None. This organization just can't identify what makes a quality defenseman.

Walman sucked here because the Blues staff neutered him into oblivion. Play 10 min per night with Bortuzzo and don't make a single mistake or you'll go to the press box. Dude went to Detroit and all his quotes were "I'm just happy to play my game and be comfortable out there". They did the same thing with Dunn, he'd try 10 stretch passes and create tons of offense, but got scapegoated because one would lead to a turnover.

We'll see about the draft picks, it's early, but my point is that we don't need "NHLers", we need impact guys. Getting two extra 1st round picks and then using them on safe players. He ADMITTED PUBLICLY that he thought Lindstein was comparable to Gunnarsson, a 16 min per night no.5. Dman... and Stenberg going right before Musty, Ritchie, Cowan, Nadeau, Brindley, Cristall... we'll see in a few years if you'll still defend that one. I'd rather see us strike out on guys with upside that never make it than pat a guy's back for getting us the next Brandon Saad or Oskar Sundqvist.

Disgusting to say that Dunn was future Krug and we needed established Krug more - That's not what I was saying. What I was saying was Dunn at the time could not be trusted whatsoever in the defensive zone. They tried it, it was a mess. We needed a PPQB once Pietrangelo left - another mistake that I believe is very heavily tied to trading for Faulk, and for some reason not giving Pietrangelo a NMC. We were in a competitive window and you should look at the production and numbers Krug has put up, he's a top end point producer, or at least was until last year.

They did the same thing with Dunn, he'd try 10 stretch passes and create tons of offense, but got scapegoated because one would lead to a turnover. - This is the result of being in a competitive window and being a team that is not in a competitive window. We have been outside of a competitive window for probably one season. I would argue at the start of last season we too were believed to be in a competitive window. They make a mistake and they were benched, it's a team that's trying to compete at a high level. Detroit had the ability to allow him to grow. Seattle had the ability to let Dunn grow. Their results were much better than the standard they played to last season.

in regards to your final paragraph. I'm not sure why you are quick to write off or champion a prospect after a half a season in their D+1. Lets also just completely overlook the fact that out of that Stenberg as a May birthday 18 year old just had an outstanding WJC on a silver medal team whereas, aside from Brindley, none of those players were selected. Yes USA was stacked but Sweden was also a very high end team. Stenberg was also drafted off of the back of a fantastic Hlinka Gretzky Cup where i believe he was the captain. You are complaining about getting a pretty high end prospect as opposed to getting a different good looking prospect. Potential is the biggest fallacy around. How many guys fully tap into their potential? And how many prospects are tap into a potential that isn't perceived at a certain time? There's a very distinct advantage to drafting younger players in the class, they are many months behind in their development compared to other members of the class. I don't know about you but I'll take the guy that has proven himself multiple times against peers that's behind in development due to age at pick 25. If your standoff from him is he isn't 6'2 or playing in a league you are more familiar with I don't know what to tell you.
Feb. 29 at 5:06 p.m.
Edited Feb. 29 at 5:12 p.m.
Some very hot takes taken here without looking at context of what was going on at the time. Alot of these moves were made out of the necessity of trying to stay in a cup window.

Faulk is the only move I can criticize because it didn't make any sense to bring him in given what we currently had. I'd imagine the market for top 4 defenseman was pretty dry at the time ad we wanted to add more boost. However neither Faulk nor Pietrangelo played great on the left side. It was frankly terrible to watch and a complete mess.

You're looking from the future on alot of these situations. I loved Vince Dunn, but he was essentially Torey Krug on an small deal at the time of the expansion draft. Yes he was a better skater, but he was a mess defensively and we were in a very competitive window at the time. I think everyone thought that Seattle would take Tarasenko in the expansion draft not Dunn.

I'm not sure what exactly your criticism of the drafting is about. The Blues by many standards have had fantastic drafts for the recent memory. I'm also not sure why you're complaining about Stenberg who is very young for the class and has performed extremely well on the international stage. The Blues have drafted young players for the class who have perceived high floors. Are you going to hit a superstar with that, I dont know, but we have 2 very high end prospects in our pool, and we recently just had the most amount of prospects at the WJC (tied) and had some of the best production (definitely weighted by amount of forwards). That's discounting the impact that noted High Floor, Poor Skating Jake Neighbors is currently having. Bolduc is at the NHL level currently at 20 years old. Lindstein was a late 1st who in a redraft probably goes early/mid 1st round. I just don't see the complaint or worry in regards to the Blues drafting young for their class, high floor guys. There is very little volatility and a high chance these players are NHL players. The chances of 1st round draft picks especially at the positions we've been picking them to turn out the way ours have are extremely slim. There's only a couple of other teams I think draft to the level or better than the Blues, and that's Vegas and Carolina.

This is very similar my thinking as well dude. However, I think there were mistakes made along the way by not assessing talent properly,
Feb. 29 at 5:06 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Just a couple points of order...

1 - Yeah, that's just not true. Dunn was nowhere near as calamitous as Krug has been the past two seasons, and he was a young guy still developing. It was an idiotic decision by Army, and it only gets worse when you remember the Avs got Toews for a couple 2nds a couple days later. HUGE dumpster fire and very easy to blame Army for.

2 - Did Walman even make a bunch of mistakes? Remember, this is the same coaching bunch that tried to forcefeed Tucker and Kessel on the 2nd pairing through all sorts of mistakes. Walman not getting enough chances is on the coaching staff, not Walman.

I dont love the Krug signing now, and I didn't love the Krug signing then. But the coaching staff that we had at the time very clearly did not trust Dunn in the defensive zone, and at times it wasn't hard to see why, but I would agree yes, Krug very well may be worse now in that same area than Dunn was at that point in his development. Krug was also one of the top point producers and probably one of the best PPQBs in the league at the time. We had just lost Pietrangelo, this was a concern.

in terms of Walman, he didn't get much of a shake sure, but he wasn't exactly flawless and didn't exactly provide much. But in regards to the same coaching staff that forcefed Tucker and Kessel 2nd pairing minutes it's not at all comparable. That did not happen until we were very clearly eyeing towards the future. At the time of trading Walman we were very much trying to grasp onto being in contention and we desperately needed someone to take the reigns from Scandella/Mikkola of pairing with parayko. It was very logical to try and get a guy who had a boat load of playoff experience that was a much better transition player given when Parayko and Mikkola/Scandella were a pair there was no sense of transition at all. After knowing what Leddy is now I wish they wouldn't have settled for a guy who has the same transition strength as Parayko which is skating the puck vs moving the puck but the direction needed to be explored and it was pretty clearly a desperation attempt to cling on to the competitive window.

Look there's many things that I don't agree with that Armstrong has done. But this franchise has been in an extremely good spot for a pretty long time under his reigns.
Feb. 29 at 5:07 p.m.
While we're talking about Army, I am also wondering when he is going to get us a real head coach. Bannister is not showing he's it. At least not yet. This is also a huge matter.

I sure hope cause Bannister seems like a placeholder, considering we play the same system as Berube.
A_K and mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 29 at 5:12 p.m.
If the choice was Roy or bannister + wait I’m glad we picked bannister + wait. Roy is a liability pulling his goalie with 13 min left, bag skating veteran teams, constantly lookin on the verge of an absolute meltdown. At least bannister looks composed and in control of his choices.
Feb. 29 at 5:12 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Disgusting to say that Dunn was future Krug and we needed established Krug more - That's not what I was saying. What I was saying was Dunn at the time could not be trusted whatsoever in the defensive zone. They tried it, it was a mess. We needed a PPQB once Pietrangelo left - another mistake that I believe is very heavily tied to trading for Faulk, and for some reason not giving Pietrangelo a NMC. We were in a competitive window and you should look at the production and numbers Krug has put up, he's a top end point producer, or at least was until last year.

They did the same thing with Dunn, he'd try 10 stretch passes and create tons of offense, but got scapegoated because one would lead to a turnover. - This is the result of being in a competitive window and being a team that is not in a competitive window. We have been outside of a competitive window for probably one season. I would argue at the start of last season we too were believed to be in a competitive window. They make a mistake and they were benched, it's a team that's trying to compete at a high level. Detroit had the ability to allow him to grow. Seattle had the ability to let Dunn grow. Their results were much better than the standard they played to last season.

in regards to your final paragraph. I'm not sure why you are quick to write off or champion a prospect after a half a season in their D+1. Lets also just completely overlook the fact that out of that Stenberg as a May birthday 18 year old just had an outstanding WJC on a silver medal team whereas, aside from Brindley, none of those players were selected. Yes USA was stacked but Sweden was also a very high end team. Stenberg was also drafted off of the back of a fantastic Hlinka Gretzky Cup where i believe he was the captain. You are complaining about getting a pretty high end prospect as opposed to getting a different good looking prospect. Potential is the biggest fallacy around. How many guys fully tap into their potential? And how many prospects are tap into a potential that isn't perceived at a certain time? There's a very distinct advantage to drafting younger players in the class, they are many months behind in their development compared to other members of the class. I don't know about you but I'll take the guy that has proven himself multiple times against peers that's behind in development due to age at pick 25. If your standoff from him is he isn't 6'2 or playing in a league you are more familiar with I don't know what to tell you.

Alright I should’ve left out the part out about the prospects. You’re approaching this with way too level of a head and I was steaming red enough to rant about it on here lol. Stenberg has plenty of runway, so does Lindstein. I just wouldn’t have complained if they went something like Musty and Gulyayev who I think have much more talent to work with if they can put it all together. My real gripe is with the later picks but that’s always a crap shoot.

I understand your argument about how you can’t have long leashes with players when the team is competitive but I just don’t see how the guys he brought in were the correct answers. He fumbled the defense and it forced him to retool quicker than he should have. Now I worry that his retool isn’t going to work and we’ll stay stuck in mediocrity. But hey this is what we’ve got so let’s see how it goes.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 29 at 5:13 p.m.
While we're talking about Army, I am also wondering when he is going to get us a real head coach. Bannister is not showing he's it. At least not yet. This is also a huge matter.

My underrated HC pick is David Carle, Army mentioned last summer he needs to understand the “young players” game and surround the young core with coaches and mentors who understand what young guys think. Carle’s record at the U of Denver and the US world Jr team make me think he’s a good fit. 34 years old and fresh to NHL coaching, it’s time to stop recycling old coaches.
Feb. 29 at 5:25 p.m.
Lindstein is David Runblad if he isn't Carl Gunnarsson. Maybe I'm exaggerating the prospect part but it's impossible to judge for a few more years. I just don't see much to get hyped about.

You're getting into the weeds when you talk about puck decisions; look at the big picture and tell me that replacing Krug with Forsling is gonna make this team a contender. 3 guys on pace to eclipse 45 pts. 21st in goals, 15th in goals against while getting the absolute max performance from the goalie tandem. Anyone who needs to be moved can decline the trade. This team is stuck in the mud my friend.

Lindstein was compared to Hampus Lindholm at the draft. I understand that’s best case scenario but if he pans out to be a 2nd pair two way D that’s a win in my books. Gunnar was a solid 2nd pair D who you didn’t notice all the time but did the right things. Same with Grzelcyk in BOS, even though he’s falling out of favor. Ideally we finish somewhere between 7-11 and draft a Dman (Dickinson, Parekh, Buium, Jiricek). This is the perfect 1st round class to pick a top 4 D.
AC14 liked this.
Feb. 29 at 5:30 p.m.
Alright I should’ve left out the part out about the prospects. You’re approaching this with way too level of a head and I was steaming red enough to rant about it on here lol. Stenberg has plenty of runway, so does Lindstein. I just wouldn’t have complained if they went something like Musty and Gulyayev who I think have much more talent to work with if they can put it all together. My real gripe is with the later picks but that’s always a crap shoot.

I understand your argument about how you can’t have long leashes with players when the team is competitive but I just don’t see how the guys he brought in were the correct answers. He fumbled the defense and it forced him to retool quicker than he should have. Now I worry that his retool isn’t going to work and we’ll stay stuck in mediocrity. But hey this is what we’ve got so let’s see how it goes.

Musty and Gulyayev aren't perfect by any means, but there's certainly scenarios in which they turn out to be a better pair of picks. But it's a crapshoot. I think there was alot more familiarity with Steen coming into the staff with the two we selected and by no means are they bad picks in that range.

I'd agree the defense has been fumbled. But there's alot of very explainable reasons as to why. Now if we get into another situation in which we have a trade lined up for Krug and he blocks it I will be lost without words on Army's philosophy of not handing out NMCs. It's probably frowned upon, but the only realistic situation in which I can understand the philosophy of it is being able to strongarm a trade through if it needs to happen by the threat of waivers. Regardless playing semantics with a player like Pietrangelo was an incredibly dumb decision.

I don't understand at all the trade for Faulk. We still had Pietrangelo at that time, what were we looking for insurance in the event that Pietrangelo didn't re-sign to at least give us a formidable (assumed) top 4 in that event? We didn't give up all that much for him, but the fit didn't make sense unless he was very certain he wasn't going to be able to get Pietrangelo to re-sign.

Signing Krug - I somewhat understand, don't love, but understand. He was one of the best PPQBs in the league at that time and he hadn't been a large drag defensively playing for Boston. I never imagined that what that would lead to would be trying to push Parayko as the heir apparent to be the #1 D in St. Louis while handcuffing him with bottom pairing defenseman against top lines for a large majority of the game and expecting that to go well. I'll just transition this into Dunn in terms of protection - I didn't expect Seattle to pass on Tarasenko for him. He was effective but also very mistake prone with us but you saw the skill and bite that could very easily translate. If you're trying to win a cup though i'm taking the guy who was quarterbacked the team you had just beat in the Cup over him though. I thought they'd give alot more of a runway to pairing him with Parayko like he was paired with Carlo and it was at least exciting on paper. Not sure if the reasoning for that not being a thing was a distrust in Faulk defensively or a distrust of Krug to be able to handle the minutes.

Trading for Leddy - See above in post with Mokumboi. I can understand that, they certainly paid alot more than i would've been willing to pay for that trade, but my biggest qualm with the trade wasn't Walman going back the other way.

One other thing I can't seem to understand is doubling down on the mistake they had made with Scandella with Leddy after a short sample size. Fairly similar deals, the first one didn't turn out well, so they try it with a different player who isn't much higher of a caliber and expect it to turn out better after another small sample size in which it looks successful.
A_K liked this.
Feb. 29 at 5:32 p.m.
Quoting: JMSTL2019
Lindstein was compared to Hampus Lindholm at the draft. I understand that’s best case scenario but if he pans out to be a 2nd pair two way D that’s a win in my books. Gunnar was a solid 2nd pair D who you didn’t notice all the time but did the right things. Same with Grzelcyk in BOS, even though he’s falling out of favor. Ideally we finish somewhere between 7-11 and draft a Dman (Dickinson, Parekh, Buium, Jiricek). This is the perfect 1st round class to pick a top 4 D.

I would hope if there is opportunity and we stumble in the standings more, we are prepared to leverage our 2nds to move up to snag a Dickinson. He's extremely ideal for what we are lacking on the left side. I'm just not sure any team would want to move back in the draft if they too need a defenseman. I'd have to imagine though if we can fall somewhere around 8-11 that moving from 5 or 6 to 8-11 with picks 40ish and 50ish is rational for someone with the amount of talent that is out there on the backend this draft.
JMSTL2019 liked this.
Feb. 29 at 5:38 p.m.
I would hope if there is opportunity and we stumble in the standings more, we are prepared to leverage our 2nds to move up to snag a Dickinson. He's extremely ideal for what we are lacking on the left side. I'm just not sure any team would want to move back in the draft if they too need a defenseman. I'd have to imagine though if we can fall somewhere around 8-11 that moving from 5 or 6 to 8-11 with picks 40ish and 50ish is rational for someone with the amount of talent that is out there on the backend this draft.

With the cap going up I would think Army could package Saad, Hayes, or Leddy with a 2nd to move up. Those contracts aren’t as “untradeable” as people think imo, and Leddy/Saad play fairly well considering their cap hits. Much easier than a Krug or Faulk move for sure.
Feb. 29 at 5:41 p.m.
With the cap going up I would think Army could package Saad, Hayes, or Leddy with a 2nd to move up. Those contracts aren’t as “untradeable” as people think imo, and Leddy/Saad play fairly well considering their cap hits. Much easier than a Krug or Faulk move for sure.

Would agree with that. General consensus probably wouldn't. Leddy isn't a bad defenseman, Saad is extremely inconsistent, but serves a purpose. i'm not sure if someone in the pick range would have a large use for any of those players, and i'm not sure if those players would waive to those teams but nonetheless I don't think they are useless players or a negative value. I'm just not sure they hold appeal to alot of teams.
JMSTL2019 liked this.
Feb. 29 at 5:47 p.m.
Would agree with that. General consensus probably wouldn't. Leddy isn't a bad defenseman, Saad is extremely inconsistent, but serves a purpose. i'm not sure if someone in the pick range would have a large use for any of those players, and i'm not sure if those players would waive to those teams but nonetheless I don't think they are useless players or a negative value. I'm just not sure they hold appeal to alot of teams.

Agreed, I think Buffalo or Anaheim need to add NHL vets to help their young core but I can’t see any of our trade pieces waiving to go there.
Feb. 29 at 5:52 p.m.
Agreed, I think Buffalo or Anaheim need to add NHL vets to help their young core but I can’t see any of our trade pieces waiving to go there.

I think potentially Faulk could be a fit for Buffalo or Anaheim, but I reserve faith that he would waive for either. Can't imagine Faulk wanting to go to California in a situation that isn't beneficial to him in terms of competing. Buffalo is just plum full of prospects but direly need a direction. I'd imagine they'd try and trade for a higher end player than Hayes or Saad. Both teams are also pretty loaded on LHD.
Feb. 29 at 6:25 p.m.
mokumboi
I dont love the Krug signing now, and I didn't love the Krug signing then. But the coaching staff that we had at the time very clearly did not trust Dunn in the defensive zone

in terms of Walman, he didn't get much of a shake sure, but he wasn't exactly flawless and didn't exactly provide much.

But in regards to the same coaching staff that forcefed Tucker and Kessel 2nd pairing minutes it's not at all comparable.

Look there's many things that I don't agree with that Armstrong has done. But this franchise has been in an extremely good spot for a pretty long time under his reigns.

1 - Which was silly. Very. And a grave mistake by the coaching staff.

2 - I don't agree with that. And his fantastic tools were readily apparent. Just another silly miscalculation by the coaches.

3 - Maybe it's not exact, but it's not wildly different, either. And any way you slice it Dunn and Walman were WORLDS better than Tucker and Kessel, with far higher ceilings. That's not comparable, either.

4 - Yeah, until he let his ego get in the way for a couple years.
A_K liked this.
Feb. 29 at 6:33 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: HolyJumpin81
I sure hope cause Bannister seems like a placeholder, considering we play the same system as Berube.

And he makes all the same dumb coaching moves. Except he makes them more often. Dude switched Schenn's linemates TWICE while we were up 2-0 last night. Every time the wind blows, we have to shuffle lines and then nobody can figure out why we always look like everyone's on different pages.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll