Nothing super new but gotta squeeze in the deadline trades while we still can

Created by: Anus_McLeod
Team: 2023-24 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 21, 2024
Published: Mar. 1, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trades:

-SJ trade: This has been done a lot (by me) so not going too deep into it. It could take more but I settled on this price a while ago and am sticking with it until the goalie market reveals itself.

-Philly trade: This one has also been done a lot with various trade packages, but Frost just makes so much sense for the Avs that I'm gonna keep going there. I fully get that the Flyers may not even be interested in moving him, but he keep popping up on trade lists and whatnot in the media, so blame them and not me, lol. Note that Olausson could be swapped out for a different prospect (see taxi squad). I don't want to give up Foudy but would probably do it if needed.

-Montreal trade: I have tried similar before but with Evans. Not sure if there is any appetite for this, but it makes sense for Colorado to get a bit more depth at D while moving out RyJo. I would bet money that the Avs play Johnson over Kovacevic, but Byram can go back to the left this way, which is nice. I'm sure some will say it's light to dump RyJo, but others will say it's heavy. This is what I think is at least in the neighborhood.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
2$925,000
Trades
SJS
  1. Prosvetov, Ivan
  2. 2024 4th round pick (COL)
PHI
  1. Olausson, Oskar
  2. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (COL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$82,037,917$637,500$0$1,462,083
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C
RFA - 2
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
$896,250$896,250
RW
RFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$987,500$987,500
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$847,500$847,500 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 1 at 9:16 a.m.
Rebuilding
I think Kovacevic is borderline worth a 2nd round pick because of his on-ice play and super cheap contract (with another year at league minimum)
Taking RyJo who is a cap dump with terms isn't ideal for MTL. I think it kills the deal
Maybe something around RyJo + 2nd rd pick vs Allen + Kovacevic would cut it but I can't see Sakic wanting Allen 3.85M next season
Anus_McLeod liked this.
Mar. 1 at 9:19 a.m.
Quoting: Habs_22_14_20
I think Kovacevic is borderline worth a 2nd round pick because of his on-ice play and super cheap contract (with another year at league minimum)
Taking RyJo who is a cap dump with terms isn't ideal for MTL. I think it kills the deal
Maybe something around RyJo + 2nd rd pick vs Allen + Kovacevic would cut it but I can't see Sakic wanting Allen 3.85M next season

I don't think he's worth that much in a landscape where Tanev gets what he got, but I can see your point regarding contract value. I can try to make it a better prospect like Meyers, but anything more than that probably kills the deal for the Avs tbh.
TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 1 at 9:31 a.m.
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
I don't think he's worth that much in a landscape where Tanev gets what he got, but I can see your point regarding contract value. I can try to make it a better prospect like Meyers, but anything more than that probably kills the deal for the Avs tbh.

I think if Colorado is adding Frost - with two years left on his deal - then they could probably handle Allen this year and next if Montreal (or another team) retains half. I’m a believer that Allen would be better outside of Montreal.

Colorado would have to pay decent assets for other team(s) to eat ~$6M in salary next year. But it puts the Avs in a pretty good spot going into next season.
Mar. 1 at 9:39 a.m.
Quoting: Rorna_Bendulic
I think if Colorado is adding Frost - with two years left on his deal - then they could probably handle Allen this year and next if Montreal (or another team) retains half. I’m a believer that Allen would be better outside of Montreal.

Colorado would have to pay decent assets for other team(s) to eat ~$6M in salary next year. But it puts the Avs in a pretty good spot going into next season.

I just don't know how they take Allen at his full salary. Frost as 2C certainly helps, but they'll still need to lose someone they don't want to lose. Maybe if they can move Allen after the year though. Certainly worth some thought at least.
Habs_22_14_20 liked this.
Mar. 1 at 9:51 a.m.
I just don't know how they take Allen at his full salary. Frost as 2C certainly helps, but they'll still need to lose someone they don't want to lose. Maybe if they can move Allen after the year though. Certainly worth some thought at least.

I don’t think they can take him at his full salary. Even if he played well down the stretch, I don’t think they could dump him on someone else in the off-season at that number. Would have to be at least 50% retained. If they feel really good about him, maybe they get a third team involved to knock his cap hit below $1M this year and next.
TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 1 at 10:02 a.m.
Quoting: Rorna_Bendulic
I don’t think they can take him at his full salary. Even if he played well down the stretch, I don’t think they could dump him on someone else in the off-season at that number. Would have to be at least 50% retained. If they feel really good about him, maybe they get a third team involved to knock his cap hit below $1M this year and next.

The Habs have already used up two retention slots, so they won't be in a hurry to use their third. Maybe a third tram would retain on Allen, but I assume that costs at least a third. It starts to get expensive.
TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 1 at 10:04 a.m.
The Habs have already used up two retention slots, so they won't be in a hurry to use their third. Maybe a third tram would retain on Allen, but I assume that costs at least a third. It starts to get expensive.

Very true, and all for a backup goalie…
Anus_McLeod and TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 1 at 10:17 a.m.
Rebuilding

MTL have a lot of 3rd/4th round picks
If we trade players, it’s for good quality assets (1st/2nd rd picks/A prospect). Outside Savard half retained & Kovacevic, we don’t have players worth quality assets
The reason they are trying to move Allen is because we are carrying 3 goaltenders. Maybe RyJo + 2nd to MTL / Allen (1.925M) + Kovacevic to COL / MTL 4th rd pick + COL 4th round pick to a 3rd team who will retained half of Jake Allen contract
Anus_McLeod liked this.
Mar. 1 at 10:27 a.m.
Quoting: Habs_22_14_20

What’s funny is RyJo would be tied for 3rd on MTL in goal scoring, and he is a top notch face off guy, but CF-zens somehow think actual NHL GM’s would pay to give a guy like that up. Sure he makes $4M but I watch endless streams of ACGM’s where COL for some reason is paying to move a RyJo but guys like Gallagher and Anderson somehow have positive values.
TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 1 at 10:48 a.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
What’s funny is RyJo would be tied for 3rd on MTL in goal scoring, and he is a top notch face off guy, but CF-zens somehow think actual NHL GM’s would pay to give a guy like that up. Sure he makes $4M but I watch endless streams of ACGM’s where COL for some reason is paying to move a RyJo but guys like Gallagher and Anderson somehow have positive values.

Gallagher and Anderson aside, RyJo has the worst xGF% on the team aside from Olofsson. And he's bottom 5 in CF%. Take out his points on the PP, and he's not scoring much either.

I don't think he's worthless, but he's a poor fit in Colorado. Add in that there may not be teams looking to take his 4M and you might be looking at a decent cost to move him. I'm not sure about that, but I prefer to make trades more from the negative perspective on this site in this type of scenario (obviously I hope it costs less to move him).
Habs_22_14_20 and TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 1 at 10:54 a.m.
Mr.
Taking on that contract will cost you at least a 2nd (if not more) and Kovacevic alone will cost a 2nd, your offer is very

One of the worst defenceman in the league was traded yesterday for a 3rd and a 6th with almost the same cap hit as Kovacevic after 75% retention, Kovacevic also have another year lest which add value, a 2nd is reasonable
Habs_22_14_20 liked this.
Mar. 1 at 11:19 a.m.
Quoting: SMH
Taking on that contract will cost you at least a 2nd (if not more) and Kovacevic alone will cost a 2nd, your offer is very

One of the worst defenceman in the league was traded yesterday for a 3rd and a 6th with almost the same cap hit as Kovacevic after 75% retention, Kovacevic also have another year lest which add value, a 2nd is reasonable

The sixth was just for retention, so for all intents and purposes he was traded for a third. And while I agree that Kovacevic is better (or at least is currently performing better), I would say he's not valued as highly as Lyubushkin around the league.

Obviously you can disagree with my take here, but in my eyes the only way you get to a second is by taking on the bad contract. I get why you might pass, but that's my attempted logic here.
Habs_22_14_20 and TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 1 at 11:35 a.m.
Gallagher and Anderson aside, RyJo has the worst xGF% on the team aside from Olofsson. And he's bottom 5 in CF%. Take out his points on the PP, and he's not scoring much either.

I don't think he's worthless, but he's a poor fit in Colorado. Add in that there may not be teams looking to take his 4M and you might be looking at a decent cost to move him. I'm not sure about that, but I prefer to make trades more from the negative perspective on this site in this type of scenario (obviously I hope it costs less to move him).

This is my whole thing and the hive mentality on CF reinforces, just because he’s a bad fit (though he has looked much better playing with Parise and Cogs) doesn’t mean he has no value, I mean ffs somebody tell me 4 forwards on CHI better than him? Tell me he isn’t playing in the top 9 in ANA, SJS, CGY, CHI, AZ, MTL to name just a few but yeah COL is going to send a 2nd rd pick to get rid of a guy on pace for 17 goals and 31 pts like serious I get the law of supply and demand but teams particularly like CHI and MTL who are no where close to competing couldn’t use a good locker room guy that still produces but everybody wants to think he sucks because he is a bad fit on arguably the fastest team in the league.
Mar. 1 at 11:41 a.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
This is my whole thing and the hive mentality on CF reinforces, just because he’s a bad fit (though he has looked much better playing with Parise and Cogs) doesn’t mean he has no value, I mean ffs somebody tell me 4 forwards on CHI better than him? Tell me he isn’t playing in the top 9 in ANA, SJS, CGY, CHI, AZ, MTL to name just a few but yeah COL is going to send a 2nd rd pick to get rid of a guy on pace for 17 goals and 31 pts like serious I get the law of supply and demand but teams particularly like CHI and MTL who are no where close to competing couldn’t use a good locker room guy that still produces but everybody wants to think he sucks because he is a bad fit on arguably the fastest team in the league.

The supply and demand point is the main issue. I'd also add situation and level of desperation. It's why guys like Bjorkstrand and Toews got moved for less than they're worth. Or why Monahan landed Montreal a freaking first (heck, two freaking firsts). It's just one of those spots in the market that is hard to peg.

I could see it being anywhere from a 2nd to move RyJo to just a free giveaway. It's a big discrepancy, and I don't know which end prevails.
Xqb15a and TJTwolf liked this.
Mar. 1 at 12:18 p.m.
The supply and demand point is the main issue. I'd also add situation and level of desperation. It's why guys like Bjorkstrand and Toews got moved for less than they're worth. Or why Monahan landed Montreal a freaking first (heck, two freaking firsts). It's just one of those spots in the market that is hard to peg.

I could see it being anywhere from a 2nd to move RyJo to just a free giveaway. It's a big discrepancy, and I don't know which end prevails.

If I’m in particular CHI or AZ I’d take him for free, put him in a system he fits better watch him flourish a bit and next TDL you are making money like MTL did with Monahan. But what Monahan really proved is a bad GM will make bad trades and I have no idea how a guy like Treliving gets another job.
Mar. 2 at 1:17 a.m.
I'd be ok with all those trades for the Avs (may be a slight overpay on Frost but I'd chance that, possibly slightly under on KK), though I'd prefer it was a different prospect to Pavel in the MTL trade. I think he's got future 3/4C potential and on a cheap contract may be more important than some other prospects going forward.
Anus_McLeod liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll