Forums/Armchair-GM

Hanifin to FLA with Extension AND Markstrom to NJD

Created by: KingofRnR
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 2, 2024
Published: Mar. 2, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hanifin extends in FLA for ~$60mil/8yrs = $7.5mil/yr. FLA Trades for a 3C, perhaps either Henrique or Mittlestadt

More pieces are included as Depth and/or AHL Replacement Players
Trades
CGY
  1. Lundell, Anton
  2. McAllister, Ryan
  3. Mikkola, Niko
  4. Sawchyn, Gracyn [Reserve List]
  5. 2025 4th round pick (CGY)
FLA
  1. Duehr, Walker
  2. Hanifin, Noah ($2,475,000 retained)
  3. Nikolayev, Ilya
Additional Details:
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$78,612,499$0$1,927,500$4,887,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$813,333$813,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
G
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
RFA - 3
$896,667$896,667 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 3
$867,500$867,500 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 2 at 7:26 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Mar. 2 at 7:37 p.m.
Need Kallgren to call up Wolf and backup Dansk on the Wranglers until Vitek is Healthy and then Huska can run 3 Goalies if he wants

I’d like Misyul to join the Russian/Belarusian Solovyov, Kuznetsov and Grushnikov crew

I like Leddy as a Defensive RD

I like Stillman for his Grit, but don’t thinks he’s worth close to the 1st = 29th OA he was Drafted at

Still not sure we need Holtz, so I’d accept NJD’s 1st + 3rd/Prospect instead. That said, Holtz is NHL Ready now and could become a Trade Piece or make Coronato an Expendable Trade Piece, but so could the 1st at the Draft or maybe flip it for Bo Byram

Pelletier & Kuzmenko can compete for time at 3LD. I see Mangiapane, Kuzmenko and possibly Coleman becoming expendable next season if Pelletier impresses, but we need to see more of him to find out
Mar. 2 at 7:44 p.m.
I just want it to END! Send them anywhere for anything and let's play some hockey.
Mar. 2 at 8:51 p.m.
R.I.P Yotes
What’s the point of all the other players in the Marky deal. Just send Holtz, and a first for Marky retained. No need to get any more complicated.

I feel like you could get better for Hanifin. Send him to Detroit, or hell send him to NJ. Could probably get more quality pieces rather than a bunch of young players that probably won’t make a difference.
KingofRnR liked this.
Mar. 2 at 8:56 p.m.
Quoting: KingofRnR
Need Kallgren to call up Wolf and backup Dansk on the Wranglers until Vitek is Healthy and then Huska can run 3 Goalies if he wants

I’d like Misyul to join the Russian/Belarusian Solovyov, Kuznetsov and Grushnikov crew

I like Leddy as a Defensive RD

I like Stillman for his Grit, but don’t thinks he’s worth close to the 1st = 29th OA he was Drafted at

Still not sure we need Holtz, so I’d accept NJD’s 1st + 3rd/Prospect instead. That said, Holtz is NHL Ready now and could become a Trade Piece or make Coronato an Expendable Trade Piece, but so could the 1st at the Draft or maybe flip it for Bo Byram

Pelletier & Kuzmenko can compete for time at 3LD. I see Mangiapane, Kuzmenko and possibly Coleman becoming expendable next season if Pelletier impresses, but we need to see more of him to find out

Kallgren - you can have him. Had shutout last night, but hasn’t been great (and recently changed his mask from NJD themed art to basic white and red…maybe knows he could move?)

Misyul - He has been dealing with some non-hockey related medical issues, but has played well in Utica this year. When we called up Hatakka, I had expected Misyul to get first call. Defensive player, but older prospect with lots of KHL experience who protects puck well.

Leddy - Smart player, just doesn’t have size, speed to be notable prospect. Could see him take the longer road to get there without those tools…but longer shot, project type. Strictly defensive guy.

Stillman - Overdrafted for sure, but has been developing nicely. Has actually been playing really well recently. And is afraid of no one. Pest-in-training.

Holtz - people know him.

Some good names there. A couple of others that may be of some interest: Artem Barabosha, big-hitting human-missile RD playing in KHL (instead of Leddy). Santeri Hatakka, thrown-in LHD on Timo trade has been very impressive this year (instead of Misyul). Ethan Edwards, NCAA player at Michigan, but from Alberta…LHD, smaller size, but good defensively, plays angry, lots of spit in his game (instead of Misyul).
KingofRnR liked this.
Mar. 2 at 9:11 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: MyTeamsSuck
What’s the point of all the other players in the Marky deal. Just send Holtz, and a first for Marky retained. No need to get any more complicated.

I feel like you could get better for Hanifin. Send him to Detroit, or hell send him to NJ. Could probably get more quality pieces rather than a bunch of young players that probably won’t make a difference.

Flames are looking for a Young Centre, so Lundell is a Target. Mercer out of NJD would be interesting as well, but he doesn’t have as much experience at Centre in the NHL and Devils want to keep him apparently

Those additional pieces are for taking Vanecek back as a Cap Dump. Flames don’t want to retain on Markstrom and apparently the Devils are okay with this now
MyTeamsSuck liked this.
Mar. 2 at 9:16 p.m.
R.I.P Yotes
Flames are looking for a Young Centre, so Lundell is a Target. Mercer out of NJD would be interesting as well, but he doesn’t have as much experience at Centre in the NHL and Devils want to keep him apparently

Those additional pieces are for taking Vanecek back as a Cap Dump. Flames don’t want to retain on Markstrom and apparently the Devils are okay with this now

I can see what you mean. Taking back Vancek would defeat the purpose of trading Marky though, no? Wolf still doesn’t have the roster spot.
Mar. 2 at 9:28 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: MyTeamsSuck
I can see what you mean. Taking back Vancek would defeat the purpose of trading Marky though, no? Wolf still doesn’t have the roster spot.

Vanecek would be a reclamation project and insurance. Devils want us to retain $2-3mil/yr on Markstrom. I’d rather take Vanecek back and get a 2nd + 3rd or the equivalent for doing so. He comes off the books after next season and if he improves him play in CGY, he could become a Trade Asset

Wolf would get a roster spot and compete with Vladar and Vanecek for ice time until one of them proves they’re the starter and we can move the other out. We’d have 3 goalies for close to the same Cap Hit as one Markstrom and healthy competition between the 3 of them is a good thing

Alternative don’t take Vanecek back bland get a 1st for retaining $2mil on Markstrom but then we’re left with Vladdy & Wolf only, which is risky
Mar. 2 at 9:33 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Vanecek would be a reclamation project and insurance. Devils want us to retain $2-3mil/yr on Markstrom. I’d rather take Vanecek back and get a 2nd + 3rd or the equivalent for doing so. He comes off the books after next season and if he improves him play in CGY, he could become a Trade Asset

Wolf would get a roster spot and compete with Vladar and Vanecek for ice time until one of them proves they’re the starter and we can move the other out. We’d have 3 goalies for close to the same Cap Hit as one Markstrom and healthy competition between the 3 of them is a good thing

Alternative don’t take Vanecek back bland get a 1st for retaining $2mil on Markstrom but then we’re left with Vladdy & Wolf only, which is risky

I do not see a scenario where Vitek costs a 2nd+3rd to dump. Unless Vladar also costs a 2nd to dump which seems unlikely. But the gap is 1.2 mill and Vitek has been by far the more productive goalie over the last 3 years
Mar. 2 at 9:43 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: dgibb10
I do not see a scenario where Vitek costs a 2nd+3rd to dump. Unless Vladar also costs a 2nd to dump which seems unlikely. But the gap is 1.2 mill and Vitek has been by far the more productive goalie over the last 3 years

Except we’re not the ones wanting or needing to move Vladar…

We paid a 1st to dump Monahan’s $6mil for 1 season. Vanecek has $4.6mil left on his contract and would use 2 consecutive retention spots. A 2nd + 3rd or the equivalent in prospects you no longer need or have future plans for seems fair

33% retention on Markstrom would be $6.88mil (he’s being paid $8mil this yr) and would use up a retention spot for 3 consecutive seasons. That’s worth a mid-1st to me
Mar. 2 at 9:47 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

We paid a 1st to dump Monahan’s $6mil for 1 season. Vanecek has $4.6mil left on his contract and would use 2 consecutive retention spots. A 2nd + 3rd or the equivalent in prospect you no longer need or have future plans for seems fair

33% retention on Markstrom would be $6.88mil (he’s being paid $8mil this yr) and would use up a retention spot for 3 consecutive seasons. That’s worth a mid-1st to me

You got fleeced on that Monahan deal plain and simple.

NJD doesn’t need the cap space this year. If we want to dump 1 year of vitek it will cost us a 3rd, or we could retain to like 2 mill and some team would take a flier on him.

2 mill x 2.2 years= 4.4 mill. 2nd+2nd for it for want, but again, if you want Holtz, retention will be baked into getting him.
Mar. 2 at 9:55 p.m.
TrevorA
You got fleeced on that Monahan deal plain and simple.

NJD doesn’t need the cap space this year. If we want to dump 1 year of vitek it will cost us a 3rd, or we could retain to like 2 mill and some team would take a flier on him.

2 mill x 2.2 years= 4.4 mill. 2nd+2nd for it for want, but again, if you want Holtz, retention will be baked into getting him.

Tell me about it, but it was solely about dumping the money to bring in Kadri and didn’t factor in Monahan rebounding like he did

We really don’t need or want Vanecek, so you can do that, but we also don’t want to retain on Markstrom, so it’s up to NJD how they want to do this, but we will want compensation for the first 2 things otherwise

Flames Fans want Holtz + a 1st. I’m on your side that it doesn’t make sense to get both. It’s one or the other, although Holtz is more valuable or appealing to Conroy than the Pick because he’s NHL Ready now

That said, with Coronato do we need Holtz!? Probably not, so we could flip Holtz or the 1st for something we do, but that’s also more work

I think it takes a 2nd to dump Vanecek in the off season or during the season. It’s $3.4mil and Cap Space is Uber Valuable in the Salary Cap World
Mar. 2 at 9:55 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

We paid a 1st to dump Monahan’s $6mil for 1 season. Vanecek has $4.6mil left on his contract and would use 2 consecutive retention spots. A 2nd + 3rd or the equivalent in prospects you no longer need or have future plans for seems fair

But I’d make this nice and simple. Pair of 1sts for a 50% retained Markstrom.
Mar. 2 at 9:56 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Tell me about it, but it was solely about dumping the money to bring in Kadri and didn’t factor in Monahan rebounding like he did

We really don’t need or want Vanecek, so you can do that, but we also don’t want to retain on Markstrom, so it’s up to NJD how they want to do this, but we will want compensation for the first 2 things otherwise

Flames Fans want Holtz + a 1st. I’m on your side that it doesn’t make sense to get both. It’s one or the other, although Holtz is more valuable or appealing to Conroy than the Pick because he’s NHL Ready now

That said, with Coronato do we need Holtz!? Probably not, so we could flip Holtz or the 1st for something we do, but that’s also more work

Id much rather give up the 1st.

1st for Markstrom, 1st for 50% retention. Keep it simple

Or to go even crazier, 3 1sts for Markstrom at 2 mill retained+Hanifin
Mar. 2 at 10:01 p.m.
TrevorA
Id much rather give up the 1st.

1st for Markstrom, 1st for 50% retention. Keep it simple

Or to go even crazier, 3 1sts for Markstrom at 2 mill retained+Hanifin

50% retention on Markstrom is $10mil and 3 consecutive years of having a retention spot tied up….

That’s worth more than a 1st and Markstrom is arguably worth more than a 1st the way he’s playing right now

I’m willing to say Holtz is worth more than a later-1st for sure, but how good will NJD be with Markstrom in net and where will that pick land is the question/gamble
Mar. 2 at 10:04 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
50% retention on Markstrom is $10mil and 3 consecutive years of having a retention spot tied up….

That’s worth more than a 1st and Markstrom is arguably worth more than a 1st the way he’s playing right now

I’m willing to say Holtz is worth more than a late-1st for sure, but how good will NJD be with Markstrom in net and where will that pick land is the question/gamble

Arguably worth more than a 1st, but at this point seems like he wants out and hard to deny you’ve done well as a GM getting a 1st. Nobody is upset with 1sts.

No goalie has went for 2 1sts in a LONG time
KingofRnR liked this.
Mar. 2 at 10:07 p.m.
TrevorA
Arguably worth more than a 1st, but at this point seems like he wants out and hard to deny you’ve done well as a GM getting a 1st. Nobody is upset with 1sts.

Hey Man, I want Markstrom gone while we can move him and I would be happy to see NJD win, so I’ll be much happier with whatever we get for Marky compared to my higher expectations in return for Tanev and Hanifin
dgibb10 liked this.
Mar. 2 at 10:09 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Hey Man, I want Markstrom gone while we can move him and I would be happy to see NJD win, so I’ll be much happier with whatever we get for Marky compared to my higher expectations in return for Tanev and Hanifin

Getting any return for a 30 year old UFA signing is a win tbh. The assumption on all of those contracts is that it’s a bargain(ish) in the short term and you eat the cost in the long term.
TrevorA

I wonder if/how Markstrom will play against PIT tonight after what he said yesterday. Hopefully it’s not in his head
dgibb10 liked this.
TrevorA
Getting any return for a 30 year old UFA signing is a win tbh. The assumption on all of those contracts is that it’s a bargain(ish) in the short term and you eat the cost in the long term.

I get that, does our Owner Murray Edwards though!? Lol
dgibb10 liked this.
Mar. 2 at 10:10 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I wonder if/how Markstrom will play against PIT tonight after what he said yesterday. Hopefully it’s not in his head

If you guys lose it puts us at 7th in the division. Not seeing buying as a likely possibility in that case. I think NJD buys if the price is right, but is willing to wait for the offseason.

They clearly like Markstrom, and will continue to circle in on him and every other goalie as they have, but if Fitzy was gonna get fleeced, I expect it would have happened already.
Mar. 2 at 10:35 p.m.
TrevorA
If you guys lose it puts us at 7th in the division. Not seeing buying as a likely possibility in that case. I think NJD buys if the price is right, but is willing to wait for the offseason.

They clearly like Markstrom, and will continue to circle in on him and every other goalie as they have, but if Fitzy was gonna get fleeced, I expect it would have happened already.

Noted. This is a very important game for us to win tonight then
Mar. 2 at 10:38 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

NJD doesn’t take enough games to overtime.

7 loser points for Philly, 9 for Washington, 8 for Pitt, 14 for NYI, 4 for NJD.
Mar. 3 at 12:38 a.m.
TrevorA

Signed, Sealed and Delivered. Flames Win 🔥
dgibb10 liked this.
Mar. 3 at 12:58 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Signed, Sealed and Delivered. Flames Win 🔥

Much appreciated. Got it done it regulation too🔥
KingofRnR liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question: