Forums/Armchair-GM

This makes more sense

Created by: rgwhite17
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 7, 2024
Published: Mar. 7, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Was trying to figure out a better Parayko and Buch deal but the money becomes too tight without subtracting a bunch of pieces so high end talent is better but depth is worse. Also everyone making Buch and Parayko trades, gotta be two firsts in that trade. One for each player and then prospects/roster players.
If you wanna go big let’s try this
Trades
TOR
SJS
  1. Murray, Matt
  2. Timmins, Conor
Additional Details:
Need Murray gone to get another retention slot.
TOR
  1. Savard, David ($1,750,000 retained)
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
  2. 2024 5th round pick (VAN)
  3. 2024 5th round pick (CGY)
TOR
  1. Buchnevich, Pavel ($2,900,000 retained)
STL
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
  2. Robertson, Nicholas
  3. 2026 1st round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$83,047,283$0$0$452,717
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$2,900,000$2,900,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$687,500$687,500
RD
UFA - 1
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 7 at 10:29 a.m.
mokumboi
Not even kinda close. And it's insane that you'd waaaaaay prioritize Savard over Buch with the 1sts offered.

Knies and the 24 1st if you even want a conversation with Army. I'm not talking mess or dropping mics, that's pretty much the reality (unless Army hits his head again and badly misjudges another Dman).
Mar. 7 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Not even kinda close. And it's insane that you'd waaaaaay prioritize Savard over Buch with the 1sts offered.

Knies and the 24 1st if you even want a conversation with Army. I'm not talking mess or dropping mics, that's pretty much the reality (unless Army hits his head again and badly misjudges another Dman).

Knies is a cost controlled asset for like 5 more years. Ya obviously Buch better now but not sure why the leafs would trade their best young player already in their lineup. Is there another team that would offer a similar player to knies with a first?
I think getting lijegren and Robertson along with a first is nice value. Maybe a little low but depends what other offers out there

First for a d like savard with retention pretty standard. I was just pointing out it’s a lot cleaner to make the move for him than Parayko
Mar. 7 at 10:42 a.m.
Talking about how its too much to give two firsts to also get parayko and then giving one up for a bad bottom pairing guy in savard is legitimately hilarious
MitchJr and mokumboi liked this.
Mar. 7 at 10:49 a.m.
Savard is not worth a 1st.
Knies + 1st for Buchnevich is just a ridiculous statement; I agree Blues have no reason to move him but Tre has no reason to commit career suicide either.
Mar. 7 at 10:49 a.m.
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
Talking about how its too much to give two firsts to also get parayko and then giving one up for a bad bottom pairing guy in savard is legitimately hilarious

It’s not about who’s the better player. Parayko makes almost 5 million more. If they could somehow get Parayko and Buch, Brodie goes out, assume liljegren is gone too. You got Rielly, Parayko, McCabe, boosh and Benoit. Who’s the 6th?
Savard and Buch at the cap hit next year would give them more money to spend this summer too. It’s just a thought of a different approach. Everyone trading for paryako right now.
Mar. 7 at 10:50 a.m.
Quoting: MitchJr
Savard is not worth a 1st.
Knies + 1st for Buchnevich is just a ridiculous statement; I agree Blues have no reason to move him but Tre has no reason to commit career suicide either.

I agree but leafs have no seconds so kind of where they are at
Mar. 7 at 10:55 a.m.
Quoting: rgwhite17
It’s not about who’s the better player. Parayko makes almost 5 million more. If they could somehow get Parayko and Buch, Brodie goes out, assume liljegren is gone too. You got Rielly, Parayko, McCabe, boosh and Benoit. Who’s the 6th?
Savard and Buch at the cap hit next year would give them more money to spend this summer too. It’s just a thought of a different approach. Everyone trading for paryako right now.

Parayko is at worst a good 2nd pairing guy, savard at best is a middling 7th guy. If you dont like the parayko price you dont spent 1st rounders to get a bad player.
And calling trading for savard a different route is hilarious because people have been moving him to the leafs for years, especially this one.
He sucks though and the leafs shouldn't give up a 5th for him retained
Mar. 7 at 11:00 a.m.
mokumboi
Knies is a cost controlled asset for like 5 more years. Ya obviously Buch better now but not sure why the leafs would trade their best young player already in their lineup. Is there another team that would offer a similar player to knies with a first?
I think getting lijegren and Robertson along with a first is nice value. Maybe a little low but depends what other offers out there

First for a d like savard with retention pretty standard. I was just pointing out it’s a lot cleaner to make the move for him than Parayko

Wow, okay. Lots to cover.

- Yeah, plenty of teams will offer very good stuff. It's called desperation x appropriate value for a legit top liner with a little term on a cheap AAV getting cut in half by retention that ain't free. And except maybe arguably Edmonton, no team in the league is more desperate. So so so desperate.

- Perhaps most important of all, please remember that Buch is not "for sale". He's not on the block. He;s not being shopped around. He's a player they don't want to trade who teams will come for anyway because he's awesome, and there's only one other awesome forward available. For this reason and oh my, so many others, a small middle 6 winger who cannot stay in one piece and an almost 25 yo Dman who keeps getting dropped to the 3rd pairing and benched in the playoffs because he cannot stop making terrible mistakes which are routinely covered at length in the local media does NOT qualify as a tempting offer for Buch.

Not gonna lie, I'm genuinely stunned that anyone would ever need this explanation on the "value" of that offer. It's not even remotely competitive.

- Finally, ummm, I do not even know what to say about this, erm, logic? Not sure what to call it. By pushing the 1st offered to the Blues to 26 (or THREE drafts away) you are making it seem like UFA Savard would be more valuable to the Leafs than Buch. Which is... definitely a take.
Mar. 7 at 11:10 a.m.
I agree but leafs have no seconds so kind of where they are at

Exactly; we don’t have many assets so don’t waste them on mid players.
And I have found on this site - fans (especially bad or mid trans) really over value their players. And when Leafs are involved, it’s ratcheted up to another level. I understand concept that Blues are under no pressure to move Buchnevic, but Knies + 1st is preposterous ask. I’d think about it but wouldn’t move Knies straight up for Buchnevic. Not an area of need for us, Knies is cost controlled and nowhere near his ceiling
Mar. 7 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: MitchJr
Exactly; we don’t have many assets so don’t waste them on mid players.
And I have found on this site - fans (especially bad or mid trans) really over value their players. And when Leafs are involved, it’s ratcheted up to another level. I understand concept that Blues are under no pressure to move Buchnevic, but Knies + 1st is preposterous ask. I’d think about it but wouldn’t move Knies straight up for Buchnevic. Not an area of need for us, Knies is cost controlled and nowhere near his ceiling

Ya I can agree there thinking more about it, more so got caught up in the cheap cap hit and extra year, trying to find a deal again like McCabe. But it’s not a good deal if it’s not for a good player.
MitchJr liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:13 a.m.
Ya I can agree there thinking more about it, more so got caught up in the cheap cap hit and extra year, trying to find a deal again like McCabe. But it’s not a good deal if it’s not for a good player.

McCabe 2.0 - I’d be all in, if Tre can find it 🤞
rgwhite17 liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:13 a.m.
Matt1567
I think you're mis-understanding how retention slots work. Each team can retain on 3 players, but can have more than 3 players with retained salary at once. Murray's retention is done by Ottawa so it's their retention slot being used, not Toronto's
Mar. 7 at 11:22 a.m.
Wow, okay. Lots to cover.

- Yeah, plenty of teams will offer very good stuff. It's called desperation x appropriate value for a legit top liner with a little term on a cheap AAV getting cut in half by retention that ain't free. And except maybe arguably Edmonton, no team in the league is more desperate. So so so desperate.

- Perhaps most important of all, please remember that Buch is not "for sale". He's not on the block. He;s not being shopped around. He's a player they don't want to trade who teams will come for anyway because he's awesome, and there's only one other awesome forward available. For this reason and oh my, so many others, a small middle 6 winger who cannot stay in one piece and an almost 25 yo Dman who keeps getting dropped to the 3rd pairing and benched in the playoffs because he cannot stop making terrible mistakes which are routinely covered at length in the local media does NOT qualify as a tempting offer for Buch.

Not gonna lie, I'm genuinely stunned that anyone would ever need this explanation on the "value" of that offer. It's not even remotely competitive.

- Finally, ummm, I do not even know what to say about this, erm, logic? Not sure what to call it. By pushing the 1st offered to the Blues to 26 (or THREE drafts away) you are making it seem like UFA Savard would be more valuable to the Leafs than Buch. Which is... definitely a take.

Alright first man you don’t need to talk to people like you know all and I’m an idiot.

This is armchair gm, it’s not a direct line to the GM offices. It’s just an idea. I looked at half of dozen Buch and paryako trades this morning, all had just one first to the blues, cap filler and maybe Minton. I thought that was way too low and saw you commenting saying as much.
I was trying to build out a paryako and Buch for Minton, liljgren, Robertson, 2 firsts deal. But I mean what’s the chances of something like that happening 2 days before the deadline with all the money the leafs would have to move out to make it work. Not to mention the value could be too low as well.

The 26 first, like zero thought put into who got what first. Thought maybe blues would value one in the future more? Maybe the leafs have a bad regular season by then? Or they rather have that first in their back pocket for longer to trade themselves.

I was trying to hang onto Minton but I think Minton, a first and another prospect is something both sides could talk about.
Leafs prob then be better off trying to get edmundson or whoever they can get for like two thirds instead of blowing a first on a mid tier addition like savard. Who isn’t a UFA but still isn’t the kind of addition that makes big enough of a difference for a first.
Mar. 7 at 11:22 a.m.
Quoting: Matt1567
I think you're mis-understanding how retention slots work. Each team can retain on 3 players, but can have more than 3 players with retained salary at once. Murray's retention is done by Ottawa so it's their retention slot being used, not Toronto's

I wasn’t sure on the exact rule of it but it wouldn’t let me retain on savard until I moved Murray
Mar. 7 at 11:26 a.m.
Alright first man you don’t need to talk to people like you know all and I’m an idiot.

This is armchair gm, it’s not a direct line to the GM offices. It’s just an idea. I looked at half of dozen Buch and paryako trades this morning, all had just one first to the blues, cap filler and maybe Minton. I thought that was way too low and saw you commenting saying as much.
I was trying to build out a paryako and Buch for Minton, liljgren, Robertson, 2 firsts deal. But I mean what’s the chances of something like that happening 2 days before the deadline with all the money the leafs would have to move out to make it work. Not to mention the value could be too low as well.

The 26 first, like zero thought put into who got what first. Thought maybe blues would value one in the future more? Maybe the leafs have a bad regular season by then? Or they rather have that first in their back pocket for longer to trade themselves.

I was trying to hang onto Minton but I think Minton, a first and another prospect is something both sides could talk about.
Leafs prob then be better off trying to get edmundson or whoever they can get for like two thirds instead of blowing a first on a mid tier addition like savard. Who isn’t a UFA but still isn’t the kind of addition that makes big enough of a difference for a first.

lol and leafs just traded for edmonson so there we go.
Mar. 7 at 11:30 a.m.
mokumboi

Well, I'm not sure when I talked to you like you're an idiot. But no, Minten, a 1st and another prospect is not going to start a conversation, because that other prospect ain't that good and ain't at the position the Blues need more than all other positions combined. Seriously, not trying to be mean, but if the Leafs cannot include Knies - and that is a totally fair stance I have no quibble with - then they do not have the trade capital to start talks. Army has all the cards. It is what it is.
Mar. 7 at 11:32 a.m.
Well, I'm not sure when I talked to you like you're an idiot. But no, Minten, a 1st and another prospect is not going to start a conversation, because that other prospect ain't that good and ain't at the position the Blues need more than all other positions combined. Seriously, not trying to be mean, but if the Leafs cannot include Knies - and that is a totally fair stance I have no quibble with - then they do not have the trade capital to start talks. Army has all the cards. It is what it is.

Hero 😂😂😂
Mar. 7 at 11:36 a.m.

Maybe it’s just the way I read it man, but that’s fine, no big deal.

A first, Minton and liljegren is as high as I could see them going. I get liljegren has issues but he’s still a young d man with potential. I’m not sure how to value him, is it similar to sandin last year? He was in the same boat, getting dropped down the lineup/scratched in the playoffs and still got a first.
And that’s fine if it’s not what they are looking for. I think it’s a better offer than a lot of what you see on here tho is all
Mar. 7 at 2:52 p.m.
Matt1567
I wasn’t sure on the exact rule of it but it wouldn’t let me retain on savard until I moved Murray

interesting, maybe I was wrong too

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll