Forums/Armchair-GM

Fitting Hanifin

Created by: CertifiedAverage
Team: 2024-25 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2024
Published: Mar. 17, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With it being reported that Hanifin is keen to go to TBL I thought I'd see how he fits in with their off-season puzzle. Not very well, I must say. Looking at this, I am curious how TBL would see a hypothetical Hanifin signing. It sure gets tricky. Would you see it as a long-term thing for when Hedman goes? Would you keep going for it or try a quick re-tool? What low cap-hit players would you look for to fill out the forward group? Would you make more trades or would you go to your non-roster players?
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$900,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,700,000
Trades
CBJ
  1. 2025 2nd round pick (TBL)
  2. 2025 4th round pick (EDM)
  3. 2026 3rd round pick (TBL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$87,700,000$87,185,000$0$80,000$515,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
UFA - 8
$6,250,000$6,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$2,665,000$2,665,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C, RW
RFA
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW
RFA
$800,000$800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,200,000$5,200,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$9,500,000$9,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,700,000$7,700,000
LD
UFA - 8
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 1
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
UFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 17 at 5:07 p.m.
mostly harmless
That Texier offer sheet is matched immediately and y'all get a nice card in the mail for it (assuming he even signs it; he's potentially worth more). But not a nice enough one that we change our minds w/r/t whether or not we want to move on from Olivier.
Mar. 17 at 5:15 p.m.
Edited Mar. 17 at 5:21 p.m.
Quoting: Viqsi
That Texier offer sheet is matched immediately and y'all get a nice card in the mail for it. But not a nice enough one that we change our minds w/r/t whether or not we want to move on from Olivier.

I am a CBJ fan too. I am just curious about Hanifin's supposed interest in TBL and I know Columbus players best, so I just inserted players I assume Tampa would be interested in.

Regarding Texier, I just took some prognosticated salary for him and added 100 000 and a year. You're right, of course. CBJ have more cap space so sure, they could match it. I guess Tampa could trade for him too, but that would cost more. For Olivier I just took the price Columbus paid for him. I think Columbus can replace him, even though I like him and what he brings to Columbus. I just thought that he's the kind of guy Tampa would like to put on their fourth line.

EDIT: But you have inspired me to alter their method of acquiring the two players. I'll just make it so that TBL acquires them both via a trade. With a new GM and an abundance of forwards, maybe CBJ accept. I wouldn't. But I think of it as an insert-player-here.
Mar. 17 at 5:22 p.m.
Quoting: Viqsi
That Texier offer sheet is matched immediately and y'all get a nice card in the mail for it (assuming he even signs it; he's potentially worth more). But not a nice enough one that we change our minds w/r/t whether or not we want to move on from Olivier.

You work for the BJs?
Mar. 17 at 5:33 p.m.
Tampa could probably get Hanifin a bit cheaper at around 6.5 due to no state income tax but Im not sure if they would sign Hanifin over Stamkos. The only way to have both Hanifin and Stamkos is to trade Sheary and Jeannot and idk if JBB is willing to cut his losses on those signings. They also might want to resign duclair which would mean they couldnt get Hanifin
Mar. 18 at 12:32 a.m.
Would you consider trading Cirelli to open up more space?
To add Hanifin?
I love Texiers game would love to see him play for TBL.
Mar. 18 at 2:11 a.m.
Quoting: LordStanlersCup
Tampa could probably get Hanifin a bit cheaper at around 6.5 due to no state income tax but Im not sure if they would sign Hanifin over Stamkos. The only way to have both Hanifin and Stamkos is to trade Sheary and Jeannot and idk if JBB is willing to cut his losses on those signings. They also might want to resign duclair which would mean they couldnt get Hanifin

Maybe they could get him a little bit cheaper but I'd have to imagine that they'll have to compete with VGK and FLA.

Why do you think they would prefer Stamkos? Sentimental reasons or simply because they need F more than D?

Given how much they paid for Jeannot, I also thought they wouldn't want to trade him. But it's worse to double down on your mistakes than accept them. Maybe I should have included him in this scenario in the trade for Texier and Olivier (which, as it stands, is probably only accepted if CBJ can use the picks to improve their team with a young player now).

Quoting: TheConsigliere
Would you consider trading Cirelli to open up more space?
To add Hanifin?
I love Texiers game would love to see him play for TBL.

I'm not a TBL fan but I would only do it if I could replace him with a more cost-effective option (maybe Monahan?) and if I really believed that Hanifin can replace Hedman down the road. Tampa's forward group really lacks depth, it seems to me.
Mar. 18 at 4:50 a.m.
Quoting: CertifiedAverage
Maybe they could get him a little bit cheaper but I'd have to imagine that they'll have to compete with VGK and FLA.

Why do you think they would prefer Stamkos? Sentimental reasons or simply because they need F more than D?

Given how much they paid for Jeannot, I also thought they wouldn't want to trade him. But it's worse to double down on your mistakes than accept them. Maybe I should have included him in this scenario in the trade for Texier and Olivier (which, as it stands, is probably only accepted if CBJ can use the picks to improve their team with a young player now).

I'm not a TBL fan but I would only do it if I could replace him with a more cost-effective option (maybe Monahan?) and if I really believed that Hanifin can replace Hedman down the road. Tampa's forward group really lacks depth, it seems to me.

florida wouldnt be able to afford Hanifin and Hanifin has said the biggest factor in wanting to leave Calgary was wanting to be on the east coast closer to home (boston) so unless he really likes his time in Vegas it sounds like that might just be a pure rental for them. Not quite sure why he prefers Tampa over Boston though he never mentioned why, assuming taxes and weather? Yeah mostly sentimental reasons, can't see them parting with Stamkos unless he is asking for something they can't afford.
CertifiedAverage liked this.
Mar. 18 at 5:08 a.m.
Quoting: LordStanlersCup
florida wouldnt be able to afford Hanifin and Hanifin has said the biggest factor in wanting to leave Calgary was wanting to be on the east coast closer to home (boston) so unless he really likes his time in Vegas it sounds like that might just be a pure rental for them. Not quite sure why he prefers Tampa over Boston though he never mentioned why, assuming taxes and weather? Yeah mostly sentimental reasons, can't see them parting with Stamkos unless he is asking for something they can't afford.

Yeah, I'd assume it's taxes and weather. From a purely sporting perspective, BOS makes more sense. From TBL's perspective, the only way I see Hanifin making sense is if they think he is the long-term replacement for Hedman. Re-signing Stamkos would be a short-term solution. I don't see how TBL can work long-term and short-term at the same time. So I think if they go for Hanifin, Stamkos is gone unless he feels very charitable towards TBL, which is unlikely.
Mar. 18 at 10:00 a.m.
Quoting: CertifiedAverage
Yeah, I'd assume it's taxes and weather. From a purely sporting perspective, BOS makes more sense. From TBL's perspective, the only way I see Hanifin making sense is if they think he is the long-term replacement for Hedman. Re-signing Stamkos would be a short-term solution. I don't see how TBL can work long-term and short-term at the same time. So I think if they go for Hanifin, Stamkos is gone unless he feels very charitable towards TBL, which is unlikely.

If any player is going to take a big discount to remain in Tampa, it's 100% Stamkos. There have been some rumors that he may be looking at a 3 or 4 year deal in tbe 5 aav range. If that is the case, they can sign him, Hanifin between 6.5 and 7(which was the rumored value of the basically agreed upon extension If reports are to be believed), and probabaly extend Duclair as long as they replace Sheary and Jeannot with low cost Syracuse promotions/ufa's. It's very tight against the cap though to make it all work, so if Hanifin ends up elsewhere, not an issue for Tampa. They can then give Stamkos and Duclair a bit more perhaps, and still fairly easily acquire a solid #3/4 type dman from ufa(and it looks to be a very good summer for ufa dmen availability).

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll